Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,503 members, 7,781,533 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:23 PM

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie (43707 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by bluefilm: 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2021
No one cares.

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by kingxsamz(m): 9:44pm On Jul 11, 2021
Kingsuave:
I really don't care grin

Funny how you came into a thread which doesn't have your name in it to come and tell us you don't care.

6 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by DimkpaEnugu: 9:44pm On Jul 11, 2021
Then go to celestial church... people say they are the best church in nigeria for now...
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by onyeogalu1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 11, 2021
The way Christianity is practice in most part of Nigeria is something else. However things are getting better.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Antoeni(m): 9:47pm On Jul 11, 2021
You dey craze
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:48pm On Jul 11, 2021
True to be told and you may be right but the Catholic church is still growing till today!

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Humbrown23(m): 9:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
Madam adichie you are not the only one on this personally I've been struggling with many questions in Christendom, how the rich are been celebrated because of their money and the poor been disregarded for their lack of it the relationship between men of God amongst themselves how men of God bend scriptures just to suit their shortcomings and most importantly how everybody thinks they are going to heaven and anybody that does not suscribe to their doctrine will go to hell I have a million questions about about many things in church today and about the existence of God I pray I get answers because I'm gradually leaving church it been a while I attended but I have started my own personal spiritual journey and I pray to get answers may God forgive my ignorance for questioning his existence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Versatella: 9:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
But if you go to baba lawo or herbalist and they tell you to pull your shoes or even naked your self before entering the shrine, you won't complain but because the church says you should cover some very private parts while in church service, you stopped going to that church

Sometimes those who should know know nothing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by samuelgodson(m): 9:50pm On Jul 11, 2021
Judging d entire church based on d foolishness of some members of obviously a local parish.......Catholic till d end

4 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Suzanne99: 9:51pm On Jul 11, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.

Pride?

Pele o Jesus jnr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2021
kingxsamz:

Funny how you came into a thread which doesn't have your name in it to come and tell us you don't care.

And how are you affected by my comment? grin grin

Tryna sound like a smart ass but your quote reek of emotions. grin
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by kingxsamz(m): 9:55pm On Jul 11, 2021
Humbrown23:
Madam adichie you are not the only one on this personally I've been struggling with many questions in Christendom, how the rich are been celebrated because of their money and the poor been disregarded for their lack of it the relationship between men of God amongst themselves how men of God bend scriptures just to suit their shortcomings and most importantly how everybody thinks they are going to heaven and anybody that does not suscribe to their doctrine will go to hell I have a million questions about about many things in church today and about the existence of God I pray I get answers because I'm gradually leaving church it been a while I attended but I have started my own personal spiritual journey and I pray to get answers may God forgive my ignorance for questioning his existence

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
They'll try to win you back with fear, but once you've gotten past that stage of being afraid of what you or anyone haven't seen and be able to Prove, you'll realize that you've been sold a lie all your life. Religion thrives on fear. Keep questioning.
Don't let anyone tell you that their god is unquestionable.

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by kenny714433(m): 9:58pm On Jul 11, 2021

For the part that the priest refused to bury the dead until the debts are cleared, It's always emphasised that burial levy be paid by the living.

For your information, the money is normally given to the bereaved family. So if everyone don't pay, where will they get money to give the bereaved family?
Secondly, since the money must be given to the bereaved family, it is pertinent you now pay what you deceased relative owed. You cant expect to reap even when you didn't sow.

They don't also come out to tell how much the church gave them which is always multiple of the paltry sum their dead relative owed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by YungMillionaire: 10:01pm On Jul 11, 2021
Christianity and Islam na format. If you know, you know.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Alexaonfleek: 10:02pm On Jul 11, 2021
This isn't about the catholic church....its because of that nasty local igbo culture.
Other more liberal cities don't have extremely strict dress codes for women and besides there are somethings you can't just wear when going out especially to a church.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Saintmary(f): 10:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
Humbrown23:
I pray that God will help you find the truth you're looking for.

"Let God be true, and all men be liars"

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by OsusTroller: 10:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
Djauro:

https://punchng.com/why-i-separated-myself-from-catholicism-chimamanda-adichie/
Catholism is not really a religion, it is a political cult from the onset.

Very biased hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by aidameoryou: 10:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
adaxme:
Ebony milf what are u saying
??
Totally rubbish

total bullshit from the ebony milf i swear
when was the homilies and preaching focused mainly on women almost every sunday

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Saintmary(f): 10:06pm On Jul 11, 2021
Versatella:
But if you go to baba lawo or herbalist and they tell you to pull your shoes or even naked your self before entering the shrine, you won't complain but because the church says you should cover some very private parts while in church service, you stopped going to that church

Sometimes those who should know know nothing
This is an interesting perspective

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Ferdinandu(m): 10:07pm On Jul 11, 2021
Being a Catholic like her, seeing so many things that will make me alienate myself from Catholicism but I know I can't because no Religion or denomination is perfect because you have to understand that they are all human creation though inspired by the zeal to serve God in a perfect way. So find God don't find religion, it will help to have a communion with any Bible believing church irrespective of whether they are doing the things you think that are right or not. Her reasons for alienating seems wrong because all those things she mentioned are based on the Parish you attend not generally practiced in all Catholic churches

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by bukatyne(f): 10:09pm On Jul 11, 2021
To think Chiamanda continues to mock institutions and organizations that tell women to dress decently while she continues to dress decently.

If she was a Cardi B or Kim Kardashian, I would say she wants to freedom to dress as she pleases.

@OP: whatever rocks her boat.

Her hair is very lush and long kiss

3 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by InvertedHammer: 10:10pm On Jul 11, 2021
/
LOL.

As expected.

Once you move to US as a Catholic or Anglican, chances are high that you will abandon them when you start reading American history especially the part that yielded the separation of the church from the state. It is an eye-opener not the brainwashing that goes on in Nigeria. The moment you start getting in touch with your inner spirituality marks the beginning of your freedom from mental slavery called religion. Some people erroneously tag it atheism. The best approach is always to excuse their ignorance.

/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by NwaIgboBoy(m): 10:15pm On Jul 11, 2021
Abeg this girl don mary ?
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by veli1(m): 10:17pm On Jul 11, 2021
ehh ur stopping doesn't stop the church growing na. why u dey tell us self? cool
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by greenguy: 10:19pm On Jul 11, 2021
Lies. Church no hungry you go.

I've come to conclude that feminism like homosexuality is a psychological disorder in which it's sufferers use as excuse to hide their real pain, problem or inadequacies. They hide under this umbrella and want the world to accept it as a norm.

People like Adichie will never have peace until woman take the absolute position the man holds today in a cultured society. Congrats to her however, we would soon get there, thanks to our uncultured westernization. Until then they'll continue to cry foul and raise false alarm and continue to play the victim card.

C'mon, so a church preaches oppression of the female gender every Sunday?

One day people like her realize there's really nothing like EQUALITY, it's all a lie, but by then a lot of lives would have been ruined by their selfish use of the voice fame bestowed on them.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by SURElee(f): 10:25pm On Jul 11, 2021
Sugardick:
Currently reading Americanah.

I find people who shout FTC as babies and fools in real life hmmm just thinking out loud undecided

Such a great book. How I love that character name "Ifemelu".

Enjoy the read.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by pashiano: 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2021
festacman:
If Chimmanda Adichie decides to be an atheist, she has the freewill to go ahead and do that provided she loves her fellow human beings, obey the law and pay her tax. Chikena!

By the way, the Church is an assemblage of imperfect CHILDREN who are striving to love and please their FATHER in return for His love and providence. You need to understand this to rise above the limitations of fellow CHILDREN running the Church and focus on pleasing the FATHER. If you, an imperfect being, uses logic and seeks perfection from fellow imperfect beings, you will lose focus and then stop finding "meaning".
BUT VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, NOT TO CRUISE, BUT YOU SEE WHAT YOU SAID HERE, IT WASN'T REVEAL TO YOU BE FLESH AND BLOOD.

TO ADD MINE I ALWAYS SAY, WE GO TO CHURCH, NOT BECAUSE WE ARE PERFECT BUT TO SEEK PERFECTION.

WHY DIDN'T SHE VISIT THE PRIEST IN THE OFFICE AND DISCUSS IT WITH HIM
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by vanvino(m): 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2021
Sugardick:
if e pain me make I kpain, I don get am so many times but I've never for once thought it means anything but it's getting irritating seeing guys scream FTC like there's some kind of award for it
how do think stuff start to tren? its our generation: mediocrety, repeat a lie long enough people begin to see it as truth. advertise a product too often good or bad someone begin to think if i can't have it i can't live. its human nature, they might even give lala an idea to creat emoji/icon for it so to creat competion.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Image123(m): 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2021
kingxsamz:
Christians claim to be "one" and that they serve the same god, but the division between them is so much that it's considered an act of clownery when they say "their god is not a god of confusion".
MFM, Catholic, White garment, RCCG, Deeper life, Jehovah witness, Christ embassy etc... Don't agree with themselves in a lot of things.
And they read the same Bible.
Religion has and will always cause division, both to its adherents and the outsiders.
Funny how women are the ones who are more religious even though religion recognizes them as mere property for men.

Unity is not the same as uniformity, go figure. Start thinking Samuel.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by marsup: 10:32pm On Jul 11, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction. Read before you comment.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Jezreelosomz: 10:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
Same way a leader in my pentecostal church who wudnt attend catholic church in Lagos for fear of being disciplined but attends weneva he travels to his village..we tend to fear man than God.. Everytin now is gradually becoming a scam..God help us..

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by jaxxy(m): 10:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

God bless.

She was still in skol on campus when the mindset change began. The was no fame takless of pride then. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Taboo / Paulo Coelho's And A Boy Selling Pirated Copies Of His Book In Traffic / Two Realms... {Romance-thriller}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.