Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:21 AM

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie (43700 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Jesubaby: 10:22am On Jul 12, 2021
Chukwuzobam89:
So true, my parents were almost ban because l married an Anglican. My parents didn't even attend my white wedding for the fear of banning them.
It was so horrible that the priest in charge of our then church, queried me about my plans to marry a non Catholic and how l was choosing darkness over light for agreeing to marry an Anglican.
My late dad wasn't given a full burial rite because of that but God pass them.
This isn't the Catholic church tradition oo. It is the Igbos tradition. Even now 90% of them doesn't allow their children to marry a non Igbo. Why won't they do it to their non denominations? Leave d church out of this. My elder sisters got married to a non catholics, nothing of such happens to my parent.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Amhappy(f): 10:52am On Jul 12, 2021
This issue of if you did not pay debt church will not attend burial of a loved one(even when they know you are poor and handicapped)is something of pain that i hope someday a meaningful group will fight against in the Catholic church.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 11:05am On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

That's what people like Chimamanda are realizing, the failures of the Catholic church.
If we now have to pay money for a prayer at our death then what is the purpose.
For which of his services did Christ collect money?

You are dumb, no apology.

Is it money for burial or dues that were meant to be paid by the deceased when he/she was alive but he/she evaded it?
The deceased family do receive donations in form of support for the deceased burial, which most of the times is gotten from other people's burial dues, if he/she dooesn't pay i.e if everyone keeps evading the payment, how will others get their own support?

Ignorance is affecting you, if you don't understand something, ask questions before typing trash allover the thread.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 11:11am On Jul 12, 2021
Jesubaby:

This isn't the Catholic church tradition oo. It is the Igbos tradition. Even now 90% of them doesn't allow their children to marry a non Igbo. Why won't they do it to their non denominations? Leave d church out of this. My elder sisters got married to a non catholics, nothing of such happens to my parent.

You just typed trash up there.

Which one is 90%? As if it doesn't exist in your tribe, you are pointing that your filthy finger at others, meanwhile your tribe is filled with numerous ills.

Nonsense, you want a man to marry a lazy woman the can't support or help in managing his business empire but only wants to go to parties, spend money and lazy around.
And if things go south, she will quickly jump ship and leave the man to his fate.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by PrincewithGod(m): 11:27am On Jul 12, 2021
Thought I was going to read something stimulating.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Jesubaby: 11:40am On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

You just typed trash up there.

Which one is 90%? As if it doesn't exist in your tribe, you are pointing that your filthy finger at others, meanwhile your tribe is filled with numerous ills.

Nonsense, you want a man to marry a lazy woman the can't support or help in managing his business empire but only wants to go to parties, spend money and lazy around.
And if things go south, she will quickly jump ship and leave the man to his fate.
The truth is always painful. See how d truth de make u cry for there. U go cry well well. Make una no carry una barbaric culture dey spoil d catholic church name.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 11:51am On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

You are dumb, no apology.

Is it money for burial or dues that were meant to be paid by the deceased when he/she was alive but he/she evaded it?
The deceased family do receive donations in form of support for the deceased burial, which most of the times is gotten from other people's burial dues, if he/she dooesn't pay i.e if everyone keeps evading the payment, how will others get their own support?

Ignorance is affecting you, if you don't understand something, ask questions before typing trash allover the thread.

Mr smartphone do you even read your bible. Let me educate you using the bible.
The gospel is for free. In the gospel of Jesup Christ, their is nothing like dues.. we are only encouraged to give of our freewill. No force.
Also church donations are private, what the right hand gives the left does not know.
In the body of Christ, we don't pay dues. And burial's are not given on a condition of tithes.
You should spend more time in understanding your scriptures and building your faith.

As a Christian I am living you with passages from the Bible. If the scriptures mean anything to you, you would understand that the church does not work for more. Every service of the church is free

1 corinthians 9.18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel

Isaiah 55.1“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 11:58am On Jul 12, 2021
Angelfrost:

Well, no insult was intended with that submission or opinion... If anyone, even you, feels slighted then I apologize but my statement and position stays unchanged.

It is deeper than that... Mind you, I haven't even poked at cultures or traditions, neither do I have anything against morality.

When I speak of religion, any deep thinker already knows I speak of the inhumanity and disunity it proliferates rather than addresses... So, my position holds even at the risk of coming off as indelicate to your sensitivity or bent.

Lastly, I have been religious... I long ceased to follow such pathetic bandwagon and truly embrace God in totality. Call me childish all ye want, but I'm liberated.

A good morning to you!
I only called you childish for choosing insults as a means of communication. It's really wrong.
And I am impressed with this your present post. It shows great maturity. Most people on nairaland would have insulted me for calling them out.
Finally, I put it to you that religion has done more to make the world a betier place. Religion has been an instrument in human civilization. The world is a much better an emphatic place thanks to our consciousness of God devinity.
I am sure you would did agree but we could look it up
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

Mr smartphone do you even read your bible. Let me educate you using the bible.
The gospel is for free. In the gospel of Jesup Christ, their is nothing like dues.. we are only encouraged to give of our freewill. No force.
Also church donations are private, what the right hand gives the left does not know.
In the body of Christ, we don't pay dues. And burial's are not given on a condition of tithes.
You should spend more time in understanding your scriptures and building your faith.

As a Christian I am living you with passages from the Bible. If the scriptures mean anything to you, you would understand that the church does not work for more. Every service of the church is free

1 corinthians 9.18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel

Isaiah 55.1“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

I am sure it is a kid that is behind this moniker, you can't differentiate between salvation and occasion.
The verses you quoted are focused on salvation and not activity.
Did the church requested for money before you enter the church to pray, receive communion and do other liturgical activities?

In the Bible, what did Jesus Christ say about tax/due?
Is church activities run with paper?

You expect them to mobilize themselves and come for the occasion or program but you don't want to do the necessary thing that will help in mobilizing.

How do you want them to raise the needed fund for such activity?
I hope you know they do give money/support to the grieving family to help them in conducting the process?
If you don't pay but want to receive the support, I hope you know you want to eat your cake and still have it?
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
Jesubaby:

The truth is always painful. See how d truth de make u cry for there. U go cry well well. Make una no carry una barbaric culture dey spoil d catholic church name.

Which rubbish truth are you saying?
Do you have sense at all?

Are all JW members, deeper lifers etc Igbos? But they frown at marrying someone that is not their members.

Are the fulanis and hausas related to Igbos but marrying a Fulani girl as a non-fulani is rare.
And so on.

As una take carry una polygamy, adulterous and divorce-filled lifestyles enter Catholic abi?
You're simply ignorant.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

I am sure it is a kid that is behind this moniker, you can't differentiate between salvation and occasion.
Did the church requested for money before you enter the church to pray, receive communion and do other liturgical activities?

You expect them to mobilize themselves and come for the occasion or program but you don't want to do the necessary thing that will help in mobilizing.

I hope you know they do give money/support to the grieving family to help them in conducting the process?
If you don't pay but want to receive the support, I hope you know you want to eat your cake and still have it?
You are only trying to be smart.
Do you need funds to pray at a burial?
Where did you read in the bible that help is given to only those that contribute.
You modern Christians who would not build your foundation from the scripture but due in vain argument.
Really what funds are needed to say a prayer for the dead?
Smart guy
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Greenerie(f): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2021
I don't blame her sha,what a pastors wife did to me ,wat I have suffered in d hands of "children of God",church people, made me stop going to church.

All those cover up ur bodies religious people,they are the most wicked.the worst is deeper life and mfm churches.only concerned with appearance but inwardly they are vicious snakes.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

You believe I am a kid, Chimamanda should also be a kid and every other person who disagrees with his royal highness.
That's super mature thinking from you chief.
Mr know it all.
We don't sell our ideas by belittling others. We show mutual respect in arguments.
You are the adult here, I shouldn't be teaching you this.
Please read your bible and learn wisdom.
Learn to serve without counting the cost.
Stop taxing people at death. The church is way beyond that.
Just say the simple prayer for the diseased and be done with it
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

You are only trying to be smart.
Do you need funds to pray at a burial?
Where did you read in the bible that help is given to only those that contribute.
You modern Christians who would not build your foundation from the scripture but due in vain argument.
Really what funds are needed to say a prayer for the dead?
Smart guy

Let me ask you some questions...
The priest, the choristers etc that will come there, will they fly? Abi make them use their own money run am?
The program that will be held in the church or at the deceased home, how will the logistics(on the church part) be put in place?
And other things.

The dues that the lady in the main post is complaining of, do you think it runs into millions?
Infact, Catholic Church is where you can hold the cheapest wedding program without any problem.

It is in every face of the society, as long as they have benefited from dues paid by others, they should also pay.
Just like friends contributing money to help support a member of the crew in his wedding and when it's another members turn, he doesn't want to pay.

The topic is beyond your understanding anyway.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 12:37pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

You believe I am a kid, Chimamanda should also be a kid and every other person who disagrees with his royal highness.
That's super mature thinking from you chief.
Mr know it all.
We don't sell our ideas by belittling others. We show mutual respect in arguments.
You are the adult here, I shouldn't be teaching you this.
Please read your bible and learn wisdom.
Learn to serve without counting the cost.
Stop taxing people at death. The church is way beyond that.
Just say the simple prayer for the diseased and be done with it

It seems someone got emotional with my words.

No vex if I called you a kid when you're not, but you condemning a whole tribe because of this is totally wrong.

Who is chimamda when it comes to Catholic Church? She is just an aggrieved member like others who don't agree with catholic doctrines.

Wait, do you expect them to spend their personal money to run such activity?

Anyway, have a good day.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Zane2point4(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.
Wetin deh worry her na ITK, i too know.
She don carry am come church.
Tho I'm a catholic and atimes i dont like there ways of doing things they simply follow tradition which is deep rooted anyways.
But for her to claim she knows more than the pope is lame.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 1:09pm On Jul 12, 2021
Angelfrost:
Any learned or educated person who hasn't outgrown religion is destined to remain stupid...

I can't say more than this!!!

You can always use this list of stupid Christian Nobel Prize winners for reference.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_Nobel_laureates

Now it would be odd to assume that certain people who are destined to remain stupid can possibly contribute in more ways to human advancement than you have.

1 Like

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

You aren't Christian, you're Catholic.

Hmm. A person who by his freewill believes and professes the Apostle's and Nicene Creeds is not a Christian? It is interesting what this new holy spirit that came into being about 100 years ago or so teaches people.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 1:21pm On Jul 12, 2021
JayB11:

You may need to ask the angel who visited Mary with these words "Hail Mary, full of grace". To "hail" is to "honor"..... we honor Mary, not "worship".

We also do not worship images nor idols....you need to visit the Church and understand how it rolls, you cannot judge a book by its cover. Find any Catholic Church and get knowledgeable ideas from the Priest or Members there....cos we won't finish it here.

Knowledge is quite difficult to seek. It takes a certain level of humility to question all you have heard about something and approach learning with an open mind. The kind of humility that enables one to throughly appreciate their own intellectual frailties. This kind of humility is hard to find in this generation. Many anti-Catholic apologists who accuse the Church of being unbiblical have not even developed the consciousness to x-ray their own beliefs and practices using the Bible they claim to regard in high honour. They are so clueless about how well the Holy Scriptures are regarded in the Catholic Church. There's so much to say.

This is coming from an ex-atheist who left the Church in his teens and returned in his late twenties.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Primrose9ja: 1:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
Redoil:

typical nigerian youth do you understand what she is saying
Typical Nigerian Lazy Youth...just because you're too lazy to read it all with comprehension doesn't mean others didn't. Now move.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

It seems someone got emotional with my words.

No vex if I called you a kid when you're not, but you condemning a whole tribe because of this is totally wrong.

Who is chimamda when it comes to Catholic Church? She is just an aggrieved member like others who don't agree with catholic doctrines.

Wait, do you expect them to spend their personal money to run such activity?

Anyway, have a good day.
I wasn't emotional for my sake, I was only feeling sorry for you.
I am condemning a social I'll not minding the tribe. Someone has to tell the truth.
You keep talking about spending money. Boss what expenses. The family is buying the casket. The only duty of the church is to offer prayer and conduct a service.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by King44(m): 1:44pm On Jul 12, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
You're right that sexism is still prevalent in the church and the woman is still being treated by church leaders and Christians as the cause of man's downfall despite that Jesus had redeemed her from the curse of her sin. So that's not in question.

However in your own case, it's a matter of the curse of knowledge and fame etc., which is pride but the end thereof is destruction.

I hope God humbles you and makes you go through things that would make you realize how far you've strayed from the Truth so you can retrace your footsteps.

God bless.
I disagree with you.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BRATISLAVA: 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2021
GiantParrot:

Hmm. A person who by his freewill believes and professes the Apostle's and Nicene Creeds is not a Christian? It is interesting what this new holy spirit that came into being about 100 years ago or so teaches people.

If he's Christian, why is he stating he is Catholic? Should people mention their denominations when asked what religion they are?

Are you Muslim? I'm Sunni.

Are you Christian? I'm Catholic.

Are you Buddhist? I am Mongolian.

Are you Hindi? I'm a Ganeshite.

Why can't Catholics call themselves Christian? Needless division. No other religious sect does that as much as they do. Seen it too many times.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 1:49pm On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

Let me ask you some questions...
The priest, the choristers etc that will come there, will they fly? Abi make them use their own money run am?
The program that will be held in the church or at the deceased home, how will the logistics(on the church part) be put in place?
And other things.

The dues that the lady in the main post is complaining of, do you think it runs into millions?
Infact, Catholic Church is where you can hold the cheapest wedding program without any problem.

It is in every face of the society, as long as they have benefited from dues paid by others, they should also pay.
Just like friends contributing money to help support a member of the crew in his wedding and when it's another members turn, he doesn't want to pay.

The topic is beyond your understanding anyway.
Oga what game are you playing.. so it's about transportation within the community.
If that is the only amount the church request people would not be complaining.
I am not church Chimamanda is complaining because the church requested for common transport money. We both know it's beyond that.
Instead, they open a book to check for unpaid bills of the dead.
If they need transportation it's OK if they arrange that with the family. No one would have issues with that.
Again don't say what you don't know.. the Catholic church is not where u hold the cheapest weddings.
I can give you a list churches where weddings don't cost a kobo but it's not a competition. We commend the catholics for cheap weddings.
Also you must realize that there are many other churches that don't request transport money to perform a burial.
Again you could have simply explained that the church is only asking for transportation, that I would have no argument about that.
But then we both know what they request is beyond transport for the priest and choir.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by adadike(f): 2:39pm On Jul 12, 2021
Seamarine114:
You are a liar chimanda, it doesn't happen in my own catholic. Maybe it happens in your own realm
[img][/img] why call her a liar? I witnessed harassment first hand at St Peter's UNN.
Not just burials, you will clear outstanding fees during church weddings too in many places in igboland
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 3:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

Oga what game are you playing.. so it's about transportation within the community.
If that is the only amount the church request people would not be complaining.
I am not church Chimamanda is complaining because the church requested for common transport money. We both know it's beyond that.
Instead, they open a book to check for unpaid bills of the dead.
If they need transportation it's OK if they arrange that with the family. No one would have issues with that.
Again don't say what you don't know.. the Catholic church is not where u hold the cheapest weddings.
I can give you a list churches where weddings don't cost a kobo but it's not a competition. We commend the catholics for cheap weddings.
Also you must realize that there are many other churches that don't request transport money to perform a burial.
Again you could have simply explained that the church is only asking for transportation, that I would have no argument about that.
But then we both know what they request is beyond transport for the priest and choir.

See question o!
Must I break everything down for you?

It is called dues, do you expect the church to start asking for tfare, etc?
A member that lived almost all his life somewhere else, contributed to the growth of the church over there but didn't have any impact on the church back home even if it is via offering or free giving/donation, when it's now time for things like this, you are now calling them names. That is their way of running their activities, if they don't take such steps they won't be afloat, and people will abuse it.
What they are requesting for, can you compare it to the cost of bringing a priest etc from where the deceased lived to his village?

The money your parents contribute in their various town meetings, why do you think whenever a member's daughter or son is getting married, they organize and buy gifts and also donate cash to the couple via their parents.
Why is it that they didn't call it gift money or wedding support money?
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

I wasn't emotional for my sake, I was only feeling sorry for you.
I am condemning a social I'll not minding the tribe. Someone has to tell the truth.
You keep talking about spending money. Boss what expenses. The family is buying the casket. The only duty of the church is to offer prayer and conduct a service.

Easier said...

It is a simple stuff, if they can not pay, they can always bring priest from their active parish and his team to come hold the mass there.
People are doing it.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Hcqmela: 3:44pm On Jul 12, 2021
[/b]
kingxsamz:
Christians claim to be "one" and that they serve the same god, but the division between them is so much that it's considered an act of clownery when they say "their god is not a god of confusion".
MFM, Catholic, White garment, RCCG, Deeper life, Jehovah witness, Christ embassy etc... Don't agree with themselves on a lot of things.
And they read the same Bible.
Religion has and will always cause division, both to its adherents and the outsiders.
Funny how women are the ones who are more religious even though religion recognizes them as [b]mere property for men

Thank God you said mere religion

Cos True Christainity sees everyone be it a Man or a Woman as the physical wife(Woman) in Spirituality.

YOUR WIFE SUBMITS HERSELF TO YOU IN MARRIAGE JUST AS BOTH YOU N YOUR WIFE SUBMITS YOURSELVES TO JESUS CHRIST

REMEMBER I SAID YOUR WIFE
NOT A WOMAN

Women are not slaves so don't call them mere property cos if you call them so,then you share the same slave status as the woman in regards to Lord Jesus being your Master here

And Whereas,

Jesus never made you believe you are a slave to Him cos you have the choice to submit yourself to worshiping him in truth n in spirit

So why should a mere mortal subjugate a Woman to do so when Your Master is Humble enough to not do to same to You even when He's a Super Natural Being?
It's your type that makes really spells it out on why the iconic writer had to stop Catholicism
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by titigbo(m): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2021
BSsniffer:
It's not about Catholicism but a toxic Igbo culture that worships money and regards women as property.
That's not true. Please do your research well
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
May God humble you in the exact manner in which you want her to be humbled. Amen angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Taboo / Paulo Coelho's And A Boy Selling Pirated Copies Of His Book In Traffic / Two Realms... {Romance-thriller}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.