Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie (43855 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by CavemanDefuturo: 4:56pm On Jul 12, 2021
YorubaKinging:
The end is near

Catholicism is a fake religion

Since it gave birth to all Christianity practiced today,,

It's safe to say modern Christianity is a fake religion

Our Lord and savior knew this before it happened

The time comes when the true believers will worship GOD in truth and in spirit

Going to church doesn't guarantee you eternity

Believe in God, and obey his commandments

Verily I say unto you, Christianity will lead many into hell

What is your definition of Christianity my friend..
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by Angelfrost(m): 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2021
GiantParrot:

You can always use this list of stupid Christian Nobel Prize winners for reference.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_Nobel_laureates

Now it would be odd to assume that certain people who are destined to remain stupid can possibly contribute in more ways to human advancement than you have.

I am a believer, and like to believe I'm still pious... So, your first paragraph is quite laughably off-point.

With regards to your second final paragraph, I believe it is even odder for any person of deep intellect to fail to grasp the far reaching implication, reality, and import of my submission, or even quickly take offense to the point of resorting to cheap shots.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
Lollittaa:

May God humble you in the exact manner in which you want her to be humbled. Amen angry
Amen! And much much more...
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:11pm On Jul 12, 2021
Zane2point4:

Wetin deh worry her na ITK, i too know.
She don carry am come church.
Tho I'm a catholic and atimes i dont like there ways of doing things they simply follow tradition which is deep rooted anyways.
But for her to claim she knows more than the pope is lame.
I wish she knew more than the catholic pope because I believe he too needs to repent.

I'm talking about her relationship with God nothing about the catholics or their pope.

Thanks.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by breathelove(f): 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
BabaIbo:

See question o!
Must I break everything down for you?

It is called dues, do you expect the church to start asking for tfare, etc?
A member that lived almost all his life somewhere else, contributed to the growth of the church over there but didn't have any impact on the church back home even if it is via offering or free giving/donation, when it's now time for things like this, you are now calling them names. That is their way of running their activities, if they don't take such steps they won't be afloat, and people will abuse it.
What they are requesting for, can you compare it to the cost of bringing a priest etc from where the deceased lived to his village?

The money your parents contribute in their various town meetings, why do you think whenever a member's daughter or son is getting married, they organize and buy gifts and also donate cash to the couple via their parents.
Why is it that they didn't call it gift money or wedding support money?
You have turned the church to a den of thieves but it is well. This are the end times.
A church that favours the due payers over the poor or the non due payers.
Go read your bible, church donations are voluntry and the services are not depended on members paying dues or donations.
If you refuse to bury brother or sister because of money it shows fake love. Even the unbelievers are better thsn this. This isn't how the family of Christ operates.
I would have presented you with more scripture but of what use, your mind is made up
Well I don't agree with you and not all churches are doing it.
Anyway, it's been fun chatting with you.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by GiantParrot(m): 6:40pm On Jul 12, 2021
Angelfrost:

I am a believer, and like to believe I'm still pious... So, your first paragraph is quite laughably off-point.

With regards to your second final paragraph, I believe it is even odder for any person of deep intellect to fail to grasp the far reaching implication, reality, and import of my submission, or even quickly take offense to the point of resorting to cheap shots.

Haha. Man, the problem lies with your presentation where you made an unnuanced reference to religion and explicitly insulted all who regard it.

By implying that you believe in a God, it is clear that you have a subjective view of what the word "religion" represents. A view which is more limited in scope than what the word normally stands for.

You can try to sound smart, but no one lives in your head to appreciate the boundaries you have arbitrarily placed on the scope and meaning of words. The onus was on you to communicate your thoughts clearly with properly qualified expressions and you failed to do so. You deserved to be called out for this. I do not claim to be of deep intellect. But everyone I know who consider themselves to be remotely intellectual has long gotten over themselves.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BabaIbo: 8:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
breathelove:

You have turned the church to a den of thieves but it is well. This are the end times.
A church that favours the due payers over the poor or the non due payers.
Go read your bible, church donations are voluntry and the services are not depended on members paying dues or donations.
If you refuse to bury brother or sister because of money it shows fake love. Even the unbelievers are better thsn this. This isn't how the family of Christ operates.
I would have presented you with more scripture but of what use, your mind is made up
Well I don't agree with you and not all churches are doing it.
Anyway, it's been fun chatting with you.

Smiles, according to scripture, you're not wrong but this is reality, some bible teaching or ways which are of the old may be difficult to achieve these days, mainly due to different period/era.
Although some priests overdo it but paying such dues is essential for smooth running of the church.

I hope you know a lot of people don't pay their annual due, levies etc.?

I hope you know you can invite priests to bless your home, business premise, hold special prayer session and they won't receive a dime from you.

I believe the main reason why they are strict with this is because they do give their support in that situation, and if you don't pay, how will others enjoy or get that support.

Well, nice arguing with you.

Can we talk more off Nairaland? That is, if you don't mind.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by BRATISLAVA: 10:15pm On Jul 12, 2021
TripleOh7:

The way ignorant people come up here and post with confidence is alarming.

If you don't know will it kill you to admit that you're badly informed on the subject?

Someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the word "bible" or the word "Catholic" or "Katolika".

Anyway, keep stewing in your ignorance.

You sound arrogant in your false information.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by ofoka: 10:21pm On Jul 12, 2021
The diocesan priest tried to enforce discipline by enforcing that people dress appropriately at St Peter's chaplaincy and that is good. Discipline is part of the Catholic church and that should not Be offensive to Our sister Chimamanda
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by JayB11(m): 11:52am On Jul 13, 2021
GiantParrot:

Knowledge is quite difficult to seek. It takes a certain level of humility to question all you have heard about something and approach learning with an open mind. The kind of humility that enables one to throughly appreciate their own intellectual frailties. This kind of humility is hard to find in this generation. Many anti-Catholic apologists who accuse the Church of being unbiblical have not even developed the consciousness to x-ray their own beliefs and practices using the Bible they claim to regard in high honour. They are so clueless about how well the Holy Scriptures are regarded in the Catholic Church. There's so much to

You have said it all Sir.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by JayB11(m): 12:20pm On Jul 13, 2021
Chukwuzobam89:

My dear, it happens, l am a witness. My dad was a knight, my brother went through seminary school right from Jss1 till when he entered higher level (apostolate or something like that) though he left.
Why would l lie with something like that has to do with God and my Faith? l was a devoted Catholic, just like she rightly stated, l fought for my belief in catholism against Protestant students then in secondary School.
Up till now, that practice is still on in my village, my junior sister had to drag her non Catholic husband to Catholic church for their wedding to avoid what happened in mine.
I have nothing against them, l am still a Catholic at heart but not a fanatic.

If you are coming from the South East, i will like you to please read onjectively here. The Catholic Church is said to be the Largest Church in the South East (if i may be right). Now, with that kind of large population as Catholics, you have to understand that their exist a Minority Denomination (comprising of other non-Catholics).

Passing through ages with that large number of Catholics in the South East, it is permissible to say that it is very very easy and likely that a Catholic could grow up in a Catholic Community, attend Catholic School, play around with Catholics, have Catholic Neighbours, and a lot more to say. However, this may not seem to be the case today (considering the growing number of protestant Churches). But my point here is that, it will never be taken as a normal thing for any Catholic from such kind of extraction (large Catholic population) to deviate from Catholicism or to associate with that minority populace of non-Catholics after been bred out of a life surrounded by such obsessive Catholicism.

The reason is simple, Catholicism has become a deep rooted Culture (as in it has extended beyond what should have been regarded as a personal and willful obligation). Similar thing applies when it happens that someone is been threatened if he expresses desire to convert from his Religion to another, especially if his Religion is dominating that region.

Honestly, i have never taught before, and i am not sure if i am making a point here, but this is partially what i have understood about practicing Catholics from the South East.

Meanwhile, i am a Catholic from North East.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by JayB11(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
[quote author=Babathanks post=103621859][/quote]

Yes it is unarguable that in the East, Catholicism is too deep rooted, and it has a different form in the level of Church Governance, compared to other Regions.
Re: Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie by bluefilm: 10:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
kingxsamz:

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
They'll try to win you back with fear, but once you've gotten past that stage of being afraid of what you or anyone haven't seen and be able to Prove, you'll realize that you've been sold a lie all your life. Religion thrives on fear. Keep questioning.
Don't let anyone tell you that their god is unquestionable.

True words.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two Realms... {Romance-thriller} / Heart Of A Broken Girl / SHADOWCORP (The End of Tyranny)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.