Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,908 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

The Historical Event That Inspired 'the Marathon Race'. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Historical Event That Inspired 'the Marathon Race'. (249 Views)

Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) Won Medal At Abuja International Marathon Race (Pic) / Ikogosi 10km Marathon Race In Ekiti (Photo Updates) / Ethiopian Athlete, Sintayehu Legese Wins Lagos City Marathon Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Historical Event That Inspired 'the Marathon Race'. by Rockyrascal(m): 11:44am On Jul 12, 2021
while a lot of us must have heard or come across phrases such as; "to run a marathon", "life is a marathon " "marathon sex" e.t.c. only a few of us must have heard or read about the historical event that brought about this phrases and thus inspired the introduction of the marathon race as a sport.

The Battle of Marathon in 490 B.C. was part of the first Persian invasion of Greece. The battle was fought on the Marathon plain of northeastern Attica and marked the first blows of the Greco-Persian War.

With the Persians closing in on the Greek capitol, Athenian general Miltiades took command of the hastily assembled army. Miltiades weakened the center of his outnumbered force to strengthen its wings, causing confusion among the invading Persians.

His strategy was victorious over the Persians’ strength, and the victory of “the Marathon men” captured the collective imagination of the Greeks. The tale of the messenger Pheidippides running 25 miles to Athens to deliver the news of the Persian defeat inspired the creation of the modern marathon race. according to historian writer/author Robert browning who wrote the poem “Pheidippides” in 1879 to commemorate the soldier’s run from Marathon to Athens, explained that once Pheidippides got to the king's court, he raised up his hands and screamed "epitélous níki" meaning "victory at last" and afterwards slumps to the ground and died.

The journey of Pheidippides from Marathon to Athens also inspired the first Boston Marathon on April 19, 1897. The Boston Marathon is the world’s oldest annual marathon and is also notable for allowing women to compete in 1972 when the first Olympic marathon for women wasn’t held until 1984.

1 Share

Re: The Historical Event That Inspired 'the Marathon Race'. by diggy41(m): 10:18am On Feb 10, 2022
@rockyrascal saw your post around 2016 about your lower back around the spine area...been having mine for some time now....how have you been able to overcome yours....the pain is terrible
Re: The Historical Event That Inspired 'the Marathon Race'. by Rockyrascal(m): 10:52am On Feb 10, 2022
diggy41:
@rockyrascal saw your post around 2016 about your lower back around the spine area...been having mine for some time now....how have you been able to overcome yours....the pain is terrible
mine was actually waist pain; well the pain stopped when I decided to reduce the intake of too much sugary and starchy foods especially late at night and I also drink a lot of water so I can pee to relieve me of the pains.

(1) (Reply)

PUMA To Sue Nigeria Over Breach Of Contract After Terminating Over N1bn Deal / BREAKING: Messi Leaves Barcelona / Virtual Sport Betting Quitting Challenge.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.