Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,606 members, 7,801,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. (38817 Views)

Mario Balotelli Kicks Ball Into Crowd, Walks Off Pitch After Racist Abuse(photos / England Club Players Walk Off Pitch After Racist Abuse From Opponent Fans(Photos / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Siwisheswereesh: 6:14pm On Jul 13, 2021
YungMillionaire:

STOP using computers first. You know that the main metals used in computers are sourced from Africa.

Liar!
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by YungMillionaire: 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
Siwisheswereesh:
Liar!

Go and check. Then come back and humble yourself.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by AsawanaDgreat: 6:16pm On Jul 13, 2021
Beware of Recism
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 13, 2021
It's really cumbersome being a comedian in this cancel culture era. The best comedians used to be given a little leeway to make these kind of racially tinged jokes not too long ago, now everyone is all sensitive about everything. Generation of cry babies.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Igbofam: 6:18pm On Jul 13, 2021
I thought there was freedom of speech in 1st world countries. Why is everyone angry at his FREEDOM OF SPEECH?

If it was in Nigeria we would be supporting this crap same way some dolts supported Nnamdi Kanu for tweeting rubbish and threats against Nigeria.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by breathelove(f): 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
jrjfjfj:
You are an idiot ,British ass licker.If not that your brain is leaking,you would know the English were the first to invade Africa,We had everything we needed ,we ate ,drank ,entertain and survived without the English before they invaded us.The English looted our resources with reckless abandon and till date through neo colonialism,and used our ancestors to Filth as slaves and you are telling me to build tough skin against racial discrimnination,you must be crazy.The fact that you see Nigerians in Uk ,struggling to survive nd doing menial jobs is because of the corrupt English government controlling Nigerias resources through Neocolonialism ,Tell britain to leave Nigeria alone,and see how things would change in Nigeria
First you got most of your history wrong. The British were not the first foreign power in Africa.
Even before England became a nation, Alexander the great, a Greek invaded Egypt. The Romans did the same and even the Arabs.

Also before the coming of the British, Africa tribes were invading each other and making salves of themselves.
Most of these slave's were taken to the Arab world and even reach as far as India.
The western slavery only came much latter.

Also note that the British were a major force in ending the Atlantic slavery.
No race is perfect but the British are not worse than us.
It's easier to get face tribalism here on nairaland than to face racism in uk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by engrchykae(m): 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

His words below should rather be considered very offensive and insensitive.
“Rather he'd practised his penalties and the kids had gone hungry."

he represents all that is evil In the heart of the average Brit.
After all they starved 3 million kids because of oil,why won't the kids remain hungry so that he will celebrate cup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by breathelove(f): 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:
It's really cumbersome being a comedian in this cancel culture era. The best comedians used to be given a little leeway to make these kind of racially tinged jokes not too long ago, now everyone is all sensitive about everything. Generation of cry babies.
While I am against cancel culture, I think this was a bridge too far even for comedy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2021
beautyhd:
I pity Rashford, Saka and Sancho.

The amount of verbal lashings, negative comments they will receive will last for a lifetime.

My concern was allowing Saka to go for the decisive penalty knowing those other two missed in a row.
A confident player or even Sterling should have stepped out to take the penalty.

Modified.

"A confident player or even Sterling" grin grin grin

Wetin you mean?
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Kosoco(m): 6:23pm On Jul 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

pls what does that Phrase depict.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by engrchykae(m): 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
you talked shit this timesad
you left your brain somewhere.
And that is the honestfact
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2021
breathelove:

While I am against cancel culture, I think this was a bridge too far even for comedy

Be objective. Replace the word "Black" in his comments with Asian, White or almost any other race and it would have passed as normal edgy comedy banter.

I watch a lot of old comedy shows and racially tinged jokes have always been a favorite of most comedians - and lets be honest, they tend to be the funniest jokes because there's usually an element of truth to them. Asians have been the most targeted by comedians, even till today.

I just fear we are turning black people into some sacred cows that must NEVER be criticized regardless of our MANY flaws.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by RighteousI: 6:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
Can someone explain what he meant by "kids gone hungry"
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by lexy2014: 6:31pm On Jul 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

Terrible, absolutely terrible. Trophy that he won't touch
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by breathelove(f): 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

Be objective. Replace the word "Black" in his comments with Asian, White or almost any other race and it would have passed as normal edgy comedy banter.

I watch a lot of old comedy shows and racially tinged jokes have always been a favorite of most comedians - and lets, be honest, they tend to be the funniest jokes because there's usually an element of truth to them. Asians have been the most targeted by comedians, even till today.

I just fear we are turning black people into some sacred cows that must NEVER be criticized regardless of our MANY flaws.
I have nothing against someone making a racial joke.
But then these players were already facing racial abuse. He could have used his influence to calm the tide instead he joined the crowd.
The cancel culture is stupid and it would negatively affect the blacks more than any other tribe.
But the guy went too far. There is a time for everything.
Those kids where going through one of the worst nightmare's of their careers.
Then the racist abuses came flooding only for a popular voice to join in the negative vibe.
That was at best poor judgement from his side
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by whizzler: 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

So it's now a sin to say your mind?
From personal experience, I know no one is more racist than the one who openly criticizes other racists for being racist.

We keep shying away from the truth.
Studies in Sociology and Anthropology show that discrimination is a natural social response.
Some of us can not eat in the same plate with a Fura-Dununu-eating Fulani man.

It may be discriminatory, but it's in us. Even in the Bible, (Genesis 30). Laban separated mottled, striped and streaked animals from his flock.

It is a natural instinct to be racist or race-conscious and that's why the half-caste or Lebanese will attract unnecessary attention on the streets in Nigeria.

It's a shame that fellow blacks have not built a thick skin for racist bashes. I have.
Why should you thrive in a whiteman's land and still demand equality from them.

We are intruders and that's their land. We belong in Africa and the Carribeans hence should relate to their pain because we've gradually recolonized their land.

Is that not the same reason we're kicking against RUGA in Nigeria?
Simply because we don't want a situation tomorrow where one Abdulkareem Wada is a bonafide indigene of Ideato LGA in Imo state.

If you relate to this, then you should relate to why a typical English man should be mad that a Bukayo Saka is playing for England.

The least Bukayo shoulda done to show appreciation to England for being there for his parents was to score that damn goal.
An intelligent madman

1 Like

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by whizzler: 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2021
DropsMic:

Let me shock you today. Did you know that if Usman Dan fodio had conquered your native statw this your message would have been about Allah and Mohammed?

We are all victims of happenstance.

The basic truth
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2021
breathelove:

I have nothing against someone making a racial joke.
But then these players were already facing racial abuse. He could have used his influence to calm the tide instead he joined the crowd.
The cancel culture is stupid and it would negatively affect the blacks more than any other tribe.
Then the racist abuses came flooding only for a popular voice to join in the negative vibe.

The timing of his joke was insensitive, I agree with you on that. But to me the reaction is even more stupid and overboard.

And lets stop infantilizing these players. They are professional grown men who get paid millions to kick a ball around, I'm sure they can deal with a few nasty social media comments or at least ignore.

1 Like

Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by jimmynauty: 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2021
New CREATURE u am not black or white

Above rascism things
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by uunwanaobong3: 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

I watch a lot of old comedy shows and racially tinged jokes have always been a favorite of most comedians - and lets be honest, they tend to be the funniest jokes because there's usually an element of truth to them. Asians have been the most targeted by comedians, even till today.

My guy u are right ooo, even me i am scare of this kind over protection of blacks as if we are vulnorable babies.
Why is it that to called european WHITE MAN is not consider a racist... But to call an african A BLACK MAN IS considered racist?

If we don't like the name blackman, then we should also come together & suggest to white men what they should called us, because they are running out of names
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by YungMillionaire: 6:45pm On Jul 13, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

Comedy has ALWAYS had lines you do not cross. The best comedians know how to get as close to these lines without actually crossing them. This particular comedian is not intelligent, if he was he would not have even mentione race and still pass his point across.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by jrjfjfj: 6:45pm On Jul 13, 2021
breathelove:

First you got most of your history wrong. The British were not the first foreign power in Africa.
Even before England became a nation, Alexander the great, a Greek invaded Egypt. The Romans did the same and even the Arabs.

Also before the coming of the British, Africa tribes were invading each other and making salves of themselves.
Most of these slave's were taken to the Arab world and even reach as far as India.
The western slavery only came much latter.

Also note that the British were a major force in ending the Atlantic slavery.
No race is perfect but the British are not worse than us.
It's easier to get face tribalism here on nairaland than to face racism in uk
But the british are still controlling our resources till today through Neo colonialism
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by breathelove(f): 6:46pm On Jul 13, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

The timing of his joke was insensitive, I agree with you on that. But to me the reaction is even more stupid and overboard.

And lets stop infantilizing these players. They are professional grown men who get paid millions to kick a ball around, I'm sure they can deal with a few nasty social media comments or at least ignore.
They are wealthy no doubt but these are very young men who were never preparedid for such fame.
How old is Saka again.
They don't deserve to be treated like shot for losing pk.
I actually believe in free speech even if others find it uncomfortable.
But we should be careful with our words, that's the leason here
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 13, 2021
uunwanaobong3:

My guy u are right ooo, even me i am scare of this kind over protection of blacks as if we are vulnorable babies.
Why is it that to called european WHITE MAN is not consider a racist... But to call an african A BLACK MAN IS considered racist?

If we don't like the name blackman, then we should also come together & suggest to white men what they should called us, because they are running out of names

It's ridiculous. They think they are helping us but they are making us even weaker, lazier and more entitled than we already are. Show me an overtly racist person who does something blatantly racist and I will happily fight them with you. But silly things like this should be ignored. He's a fvcking comedian.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by abbey621(m): 6:48pm On Jul 13, 2021
YungMillionaire:

Go and check. Then come back and humble yourself.

The most important components of a computer is silicon and semiconductors both of which are abundantly more in China and Russia than anywhere in the world.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by breathelove(f): 6:48pm On Jul 13, 2021
jrjfjfj:
But the british are still controlling our resources till today through Neo colonialism
Pls explain how.
UK is not our top trading partner, we do more business with China these days.
How many British businesses are in 9ja.
Pls explain so I can learn
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by Olufemiolaolu(m): 6:51pm On Jul 13, 2021
But the stupid white guy mchose them to play the penalties now
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by int0x80(m): 6:52pm On Jul 13, 2021
He said the truth, those black guys f'ed up big time.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by mariahAngel(f): 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2021
Kosoco:
pls what does that Phrase depict.

He meant Rashford should rather have practiced his penalties than feeding hungry kids.
Whether he was trying to be funny or he was being sarcastic, either way, it was insensitive of him.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by abbey621(m): 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2021
uunwanaobong3:

Nobody calls anyone racist for calling a black man a black man, rather you get called out for disrespecting people based on their color. You don't go into the office and start shouting WHITE MAN I am talking to you, similarly you don't say BLACK MAN how are you! People have names, titles etc but when you want to disrespect somebody you ignore that. Unfortunately this is more common for whites especially given their history of calling blacks, Nigger, boy, etc. In Nigeria we bend over backwards for the whites but let me tell you when you go deep into the Southern U.S states, no matter how much money you have, you'll still hear one white man call you, BOY grin
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by uunwanaobong3: 6:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
breathelove:

I have nothing against someone making a joke.
The way the current fight against racism is going,,. I am afraid it would not end racism, instead it will accelerate it more.
Instead of listening to everyones opinion and educating the ignorant ones, we are dividing ourselves further, by censoring peoples view which we dont agree with and destroying their means of livelihood (which is extremely evil and wicket).
D fight should be inclusive and divisive.
Re: Comedian Andrew Lawrence Shows Cancelled After Racist Tweets At England Players. by YungMillionaire: 7:00pm On Jul 13, 2021
abbey621:
The most important components of a computer is silicon and semiconductors both of which are abundantly more in China and Russia than anywhere in the world.

Go and check to see if a computer can be made without metals from Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amaju Pinnick Spotted In Qatar Watching Brazil Vs Switzerland, Blasted By Fans / Rio Ferdinand Arrives Lagos, To Search For Young Talents (photos) / Sanita Samson Siasia Marries Henry Jamell Traditionally (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.