Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! (10241 Views)

Riveria Vocational School: New Free Vocational School In Finland / I’m From Finland, Ask Me Anything / 2go Registration Sign Up Page Www.2go.im | Www.2go.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by kannex: 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2021
What are the names of your food do you cook soup in your country.
What kind of spice do your country add most to their food, is it more pepper or more maggi etc.
Do your country drink more herbs than white medicine.
Do your country eat food that contain more sugar.
What are the names of snacks that is made locally in finland
What are the best place to visit in your country..
Do your country celebrate any festival, if they celebrate what are the name of the festival.
Is internet free in your country.
I will like us to be friends this is my whatsapp number , i hope u dont mind i will be greatful.

1 Like

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by MMotimo: 7:34am On Aug 22, 2021
ESenthusiast:
Hi everybody! Finn here whos been lurking nairaland for a while and finds nigerian culture interesting. Thought it would be cool to see what you guys would like to know about Finland!

Hi,

For someone living in a country where the language of instruction is not English, you write very well. How did you learn to write in fluent English?

For a tourist visiting only Helsinki, what would you say are the top 3 to 5 tourist attractions in that city that must be seen?

Is there any savoury food native to Finland that is popular with foreigners?

1 Like

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by DeejayTeeno(m): 9:24pm On Aug 22, 2021
ESenthusiast:

Rovaniemi, santa claus, sámi people on a reindeer ride and skiing.

So thoughtful of you to share all these beautiful pictures and knowledge about Finn. Please feel free to ask us about our culture, tradition and anything you love us to shred more light on too. tongue wink

Your so much welcome to the Nigerian Family too.. Cheers.

grin cheesy
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 10:49pm On Aug 22, 2021
kannex:
What are the names of your food do you cook soup in your country.
What kind of spice do your country add most to their food, is it more pepper or more maggi etc.
Do your country drink more herbs than white medicine.
Do your country eat food that contain more sugar.
What are the names of snacks that is made locally in finland
What are the best place to visit in your country..
Do your country celebrate any festival, if they celebrate what are the name of the festival.
Is internet free in your country.
I will like us to be friends this is my whatsapp number , i hope u dont mind +2349029885687 i will be greatful.
Some popular Finnish foods are Karjalanpaisti (Karelian stew) poronkäristys (Sautéed reindeer), Hernekeitto (pea soup) and karjalanpiirakat (karelian pies). We make soup here but it is not the same as nigerian soup.
Finnish food is very bland but the most used spice would probably be pepper.
We dont use herbs as medicine. Atleast not for anything serious. There is a herb pharmacy called ”life” here so I guess there are some people who do.
Finnish food is not really sugary.
Fazer chocolate and Taffel chips are popular here but our most unique snack is salmiakki. Salmiakki is salty
liquorice. It has a weird taste that is hard to describe.
One of our festivals is called juhannus and it is a celebration of midsummer. During juhannus we do bonfires, folk traditions and get really drunk. One of these folk traditions is girls putting flowers under their beds so they can see their future husbands in their dreams. Drinking is believed to drive away bad spirits and grant a better harvest.
Internet is not free in Finland but many public places have free Wi-Fi.

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 11:05pm On Aug 22, 2021
MMotimo:

Hi,

For someone living in a country where the language of instruction is not English, you write very well. How did you learn to write in fluent English?

For a tourist visiting only Helsinki, what would you say are the top 3 to 5 tourist attractions in that city that must be seen?

Is there any savoury food native to Finland that is popular with foreigners?

We learn English at school I have been studying since the 2nd grade. We study it all the way to university.
Helsinki is a small city so you can just walk for an hour in downtown and you have pretty much seen everything. I would recommend visiting the Suomenlinna sea fortress and eating some finnish foods at the market square.
Finnish food isn’t really popular anywhere than Finland. I read a report that said Finnish food is the most unpopular in europe :DD

1 Like

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 11:14pm On Aug 22, 2021
DeejayTeeno:

So thoughtful of you to share all these beautiful pictures and knowledge about Finn. Please feel free to ask us about our culture, tradition and anything you love us to shred more light on too. tongue wink

Your so much welcome to the Nigerian Family too.. Cheers.

grin cheesy

Haha thanks I really appreciate that!

1 Like

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by kannex: 11:35am On Aug 23, 2021
You havent answer one question which is.

Wgmhich tourist center can one visit in your country like hotek, park etc
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by Bellniki1: 6:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hello, please can anyone suggest schools in Finland for masters program or give me a direct school website? Been using Google, it keeps referring me to UK schools.

Thanking you on advance
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 8:56pm On Aug 23, 2021
Bellniki1:
Hello, please can anyone suggest schools in Finland for masters program or give me a direct school website? Been using Google, it keeps referring me to UK schools.

Thanking you on advance
This link might help you
https://www.studyinfinland.fi/admissions/study-programmes
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by MMotimo: 5:16am On Aug 25, 2021
ESenthusiast:

We learn English at school I have been studying since the 2nd grade. We study it all the way to university.
Helsinki is a small city so you can just walk for an hour in downtown and you have pretty much seen everything. I would recommend visiting the Suomenlinna sea fortress and eating some finnish foods at the market square.
Finnish food isn’t really popular anywhere than Finland. I read a report that said Finnish food is the most unpopular in europe :DD

Thanks for all the information smiley
We hope to do a tour of the Nordic countries at some point and so, I was curious.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2021
[quote author=ESenthusiast post=105009349]

Hello friend.
It's been sometime. How are you doing ?

How is the family system in Finland - is it large or small ?
I mean in terms of children ?
Most Europeans don't seem to have more than two children. Is it the same in Finland ?
And what about you ? Do you already have a family ?
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 10:41pm On Sep 24, 2021
[quote author=BlakKluKluxKlan post=106054332][/quote]

Hello! Im doing fine thanks.
Families in Finland are small just like they are in the rest of Europe as you pointed out. Average family usually has 2-4 kids. However where I live there are some families that follow a christian movement called laestadianism and since that movement forbids birth control those families usually have more than ten children.
I dont have a family of my own. Im too young for that on european standards cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:09pm On Sep 26, 2021
ESenthusiast:

Hello! Im doing fine thanks.
Families in Finland are small just like they are in the rest of Europe as you pointed out. Average family usually has 2-4 kids. However where I live there are some families that follow a christian movement called laestadianism and since that movement forbids birth control those families usually have more than ten children.
I dont have a family of my own. Im too young for that on european standards cheesy

Hahaha, too young to start a family ?
You must be in your teens then, maybe ?
Well, I like that Christian movement for their perspective.
Perhaps you may invite me to your wedding when the time comes, yeah ?
Cheers.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by Greenerie(f): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2022
[I read all you wrote and all questions you replied.u are so polite, respectful,
patient,polished and refined.i learnt new things about your country.keep more posts coming ok.im following you.

quote author=ESenthusiast post=103684899]Hi everybody! Finn here whos been lurking nairaland for a while and finds nigerian culture interesting. Thought it would be cool to see what you guys would like to know about Finland![/quote]
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 6:40am On Feb 09, 2022
[quote author=ESenthusiast post=106142026]

Hello friend. How are you ? We didn't exchange christmas and nre year banters.
I was having issues with my phone.
I really need to get a new phone.
So, how are you doing ?
You don't send message to me except i do, why ?
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 6:42pm On Feb 19, 2022
[quote author=BlakKluKluxKlan post=110078999][/quote]

Hello! Im doing fine thank you. How have you been?

I have been very busy with my studies and I also caught covid so I haven’t been very active here. I had the thought of this thread being about questions and answers so i haven’t sent you messages. Perhaps i should get more active here.

Cheers
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 4:30am On Feb 25, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hello! Im doing fine thank you. How have you been?

I have been very busy with my studies and I also caught covid so I haven’t been very active here. I had the thought of this thread being about questions and answers so i haven’t sent you messages. Perhaps i should get more active here.

Cheers

Happy to learn you've been busy with your studies.
However, not happy to hear you contracted covid-19 but joyous that you survived it.

So you opened the thread just for Qs & As ? Well, that is okay but is there anything if we became friends in the process ?
FYI, I've been up to 7 decades in life already so not after anything per se but just to know more people and more about places across the world.
Cheers and good luck in your studies.
What is your discopline, anyway ?
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2022
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Happy to learn you've been busy with your studies.
However, not happy to hear you contracted covid-19 but joyous that you survived it.

So you opened the thread just for Qs & As ? Well, that is okay but is there anything if we became friends in the process ?
FYI, I've been up to 7 decades in life already so not after anything per se but just to know more people and more about places across the world.
Cheers and good luck in your studies.
What is your discopline, anyway ?

Hello. Hyvää iltaa! (means good evening)

Yes i opened this tread for Qs and As but i dont mind becoming friends with people online. You seem like a great and honest person.
So you say that you have been up to 7 decades in life meaning that you are 70 years old? Wow! More life to you!
Could i ask for clarification on your last question? Did you mean to type discipline and what would you like to know about that?

Have a great weekend! Cheers!
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by AoifeNightfall: 8:13am On Feb 26, 2022
Hi EsEnthusiast,

Why do Finn parents enrol their babies in daycare and leave the system to take care of them? Are they too busy?

I learned that parents rarely get to spend time with their children there.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 9:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
AoifeNightfall:
Hi EsEnthusiast,

Why do Finn parents enrol their babies in daycare and leave the system to take care of them? Are they too busy?

I learned that parents rarely get to spend time with their children there.

Hi!

You guessed right they are too busy. In finnish society there really isnt the concept of men working and the women taking care of the children. It Isn't an option for a regular finnish family to have someone at the house all the time with the children since the costs of living are very high and it would be hard for a single person to provide to their entire family. The other thing is family relations that vary largely. Some families that are very close sometimes have a grandma/grandpa or even an uncle/aunt to take care of a child. Some families are more distant and see their family members rarely or have bad/cold relationships with their family.

We do get to spend time with the family but i dont know if in other cultures that would be considered too little. For example i remeber when i was in elementary school i would get home at 1 and my parents would come home by 4/5 so i was alone for about 3 hours.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by AoifeNightfall: 5:28am On Mar 03, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hi!

You guessed right they are too busy. In finnish society there really isnt the concept of men working and the women taking care of the children. It Isn't an option for a regular finnish family to have someone at the house all the time with the children since the costs of living are very high and it would be hard for a single person to provide to their entire family. The other thing is family relations that vary largely. Some families that are very close sometimes have a grandma/grandpa or even an uncle/aunt to take care of a child. Some families are more distant and see their family members rarely or have bad/cold relationships with their family.

We do get to spend time with the family but i dont know if in other cultures that would be considered too little. For example i remeber when i was in elementary school i would get home at 1 and my parents would come home by 4/5 so i was alone for about 3 hours.

Cheers!

Yeah, it's too little but I guess during the holidays they spend more time together.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by freezyprinzy(m): 5:05pm On Apr 05, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hi!

Cheers!
Hey how are you? How easy is it for an immigrant to get a job in Finland? I heard it is a chore to get a decent job especially for students.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by Danyyyyyyyyyyy: 10:22pm On Apr 05, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hi!

Cheers!

Are you a man or a woman?
I used to think Finland was part of the Asian continent
Is it as small as I heard ? Coz I follow this Finnish tiktoker and she said there's just 5million people in Finland
Are there many black people there?
Do you think racism is present in Finland ? You might probably not be racist coz you're here and I'm sure you know that majority of Nigerians are black if not all
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by EarlOfSaxon: 9:50pm On Apr 06, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hello. Hyvää iltaa! (means good evening)

Yes i opened this tread for Qs and As but i dont mind becoming friends with people online. You seem like a great and honest person.
So you say that you have been up to 7 decades in life meaning that you are 70 years old? Wow! More life to you!
Could i ask for clarification on your last question? Did you mean to type discipline and what would you like to know about that?

Have a great weekend! Cheers!

Hello...

Since Finland is very much a Christian country, how's the LGBT stuff over there.

Is it like the US and UK where it is open and encouraged or is it more like Russia where it is frown upon and punished.

I saw somewhere in the news that a court in Finland, allowed a Finnish politician to use a Bible verse against LGBT people over there.

Please I would love to learn more, I am drafting a research.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 8:19pm On Apr 08, 2022
Danyyyyyyyyyyy:

Are you a man or a woman?
I used to think Finland was part of the Asian continent
Is it as small as I heard ? Coz I follow this Finnish tiktoker and she said there's just 5million people in Finland
Are there many black people there?
Do you think racism is present in Finland ? You might probably not be racist coz you're here and I'm sure you know that majority of Nigerians are black if not all

Hello! I am a man.

Yes Finland has a small population of 5.5 million people but it is large in size. I, for example have visited more countries than cities in Finland because some of them are very distant from each other. And it's not really necessary to leave southern finland theres just small towns and forests in the north.

Yes, there are black people in Finland. Mostly Somalis who came here as refugees in the 90s. It's not really rare to see black people in major cities, but it is still very rare in the north.

There's definitely racism in Finland. The chances of someone hurling racist abuse in public are low, but it has still occurred. There has been some anti-immigration (or refugee) sentiment around especially in 2015-2016 when around a million Syrian and Iraqi refugees fled to Europe. Right-wing people said that they were rapists, ISIS supporters, wanted to islamize Europe etc. All of the movements born during that period have died but there's an anti-immigration party in the parliament with a lot of seats (though not in the government) called Perussuomalaiset. (Literal translation=regular finns). Some racism has also been noted in the housing and job market. Some employers have been accused of preferring candidates with Finnish sounding names.

1 Like

Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by Danyyyyyyyyyyy: 1:09pm On Apr 09, 2022
ESenthusiast:

Hello! I am a man.

Yes Finland has a small population of 5.5 million people but it is large in size. I, for example have visited more countries than cities in Finland because some of them are very distant from each other. And it's not really necessary to leave southern finland theres just small towns and forests in the north.

Yes, there are black people in Finland. Mostly Somalis who came here as refugees in the 90s. It's not really rare to see black people in major cities, but it is still very rare in the north.

There's definitely racism in Finland. The chances of someone hurling racist abuse in public are low, but it has still occurred. There has been some anti-immigration (or refugee) sentiment around especially in 2015-2016 when around a million Syrian and Iraqi refugees fled to Europe. Right-wing people said that they were rapists, ISIS supporters, wanted to islamize Europe etc. All of the movements born during that period have died but there's an anti-immigration party in the parliament with a lot of seats (though not in the government) called Perussuomalaiset. (Literal translation=regular finns). Some racism has also been noted in the housing and job market. Some employers have been accused of preferring candidates with Finnish sounding names.

Thank you
So it's not really part of the Asian continent right?
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 2:41am On Apr 10, 2022
[W author=ESenthusiast post=110367599]

Hello there.
How have you been. And your studies ?

I read that your country has offered some assistance to Ukraine in the ongoing conflict. That's very nice of your government..
I hope the war has not had any negative effect on you or your country ?
Pleaae what's the true situation of the war ?
Cheers.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by obawinner(m): 3:41am On Apr 18, 2022
What is your perception about inter racial marriage amongst finnish?
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 3:47pm On Apr 24, 2022
EarlOfSaxon:

Hello...

Since Finland is very much a Christian country, how's the LGBT stuff over there.

Is it like the US and UK where it is open and encouraged or is it more like Russia where it is frown upon and punished.

I saw somewhere in the news that a court in Finland, allowed a Finnish politician to use a Bible verse against LGBT people over there.

Please I would love to learn more, I am drafting a research.

Hello!

Finland is actually not a very religious country. A high percentage of people are members of The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland because of its a tradition but most dont attend chutch regularly.

LGBT is generally accepted. Same sex marriage is also legal. In my school i can see many people sporting LGBT insignia like rainbow flags and such. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland which is the state church of Finland was even a sponsor of the Helsinki pride march.

This drew criticism from Päivi Räsänen a member of parliament representing the Christian Democrats party. She has used bible for remarks. against homosexuality multiple times. She was also on trial for inciting hatred this year but later got acquitted.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 3:53pm On Apr 24, 2022
freezyprinzy:
Hey how are you? How easy is it for an immigrant to get a job in Finland? I heard it is a chore to get a decent job especially for students.

Hey!

Depends on the job. An immigrant can get a low paying job like uber driver/food delivery without a university degree pretty easily. But getting a good paying job is rather hard. you have to have a higher education and speak finnish well since most non international businesses here use finnish as a communication language.
Re: Im From Finland. Ask Me Anything! by ESenthusiast(m): 3:54pm On Apr 24, 2022
Danyyyyyyyyyyy:

Thank you
So it's not really part of the Asian continent right?

No not all. Neither geographically nor culturally.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Tips To Recognize The Florist That's Right For You / Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries / Top 10 Most Beautiful Nairaland Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.