Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,363 members, 7,800,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers (23614 Views)

FG Eyes $3.6bn In Historic Talent Outsourcing Initiative With Lab Four / Mr Macaroni Threatened For Not Supporting A Presidential Candidate / IMF May Approve Nigeria’s $3.4 Billion Loan Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by wpadmin: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2021
Okonjo-Iweala: My life was threatened for saving Nigeria $3.6bn from ghost workers, oil subsidy scam

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), says her life was threatened for saving Nigeria huge sums of money from oil subsidy scam while serving as the country’s finance minister.

Okonjo-Iweala served as finance minister under the administrations of former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan.

Speaking during an interview organised by Atlantic Council, a United States think-tank on international affairs, on Tuesday, the WTO DG said her life was threatened for doing her job.

Okonjo-Iweala said during Obasanjo’s administration, she worked to ensure renegotiation of Nigeria’s debt in the international community.

She said Nigeria was indebted by $30 billion to the Paris Club with a debt service of $2 billion a year, of which the country could only pay $1 billion.

The former minister said the country’s debt was later systematised with the help of good reforms.

During the period, Paris Club reached an agreement to grant relief of about $18 billion (60 percent) on the $30 billion owed, which lowered Nigeria’s external debt from $35.94 billion in 2004 to $20.48 billion in 2005.

During Jonathan’s administration, Okonjo-Iweala said her effort was directed at tackling corruption and improving the financial system with the use of technology.

“And just by having an integrated financial management system, we were able to cut down on the phenomenon of ghost workers, you know where people used to put additional people on the payroll in the ministries, ghost pensioners, because ghost workers will graduate to ghost pensioners, and so we got rid of that and saved $1.1 billion for the government,” she said.

“So that is, we were fighting other types of corruption. We had an oil subsidy system in [b]which we used to pay marketers.

“Oil marketers who brought in refined oil, you know, we paid them the difference between the market price, and the subsidised price that the government was mandated for selling oil to people.

“And so, that was when I came the second time. This was a big problem. When I left government the first time in 2006, these subsidies were about $2 billion, when I came back, the first thing we noticed was that it had grown to $11 billion.[/b]

“So, I asked President Jonathan that we could audit the oil accounts which he fully supported. When we audited, $8.5 billion of the accounts, we found $2.5 billion of fraudulent claims and with his backing, we refused to pay that to the marketers and that led to a series of problems, which I won’t bore you with, including threats to my life.

“My mother being kidnapped for five days was one of the worst periods of my life and it was a very tough period.

“But, that being said, I think the privilege of serving my country as finance minister for several years, to being able to work on some reforms is one of the best things I’ve ever done.”

Source: TheCable

74 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by wpadmin: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2021
In a country where honest and hardworking people are punished, the end is inevitable.

217 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by hisgrace090: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Your type is mostly needed in todays nigeria.

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by theTranslator: 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2021
Nigeria doesn't deserve her

131 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by descarado: 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2021
This here is an Amazon!

There was a time during Jonathan's tenure when they kidnapped ngozi's mum. Mama Peace was supposed to pay condolence visit to her but she must Mark register first and she has a price tag.
Trust Ngozi, she was livid with anger.
She said she should be the one mama peace should give money to in igbo tradition for support not the other way round. Mama peace should hold her peace for all she care. Mama peace later went but ngozi didn't pay her anything. Mama peace started scheming but forces weren't favourable to mama peace.

Isimply love this lady.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by insidelife22(m): 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
God bless the Igbos, God bless the South. Bandits finish the north. yeeee,Who hit me?

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by DWJOBScom(m): 5:32pm On Jul 14, 2021
Most of the subsidy thieves are currently in APC cooling off.
This country must be delivered

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Tinubuadvocate: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2021
[s]
wpadmin:
Okonjo-Iweala: My life was threatened for saving Nigeria $3.6bn from ghost workers, oil subsidy scam

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), says her life was threatened for saving Nigeria huge sums of money from oil subsidy scam while serving as the country’s finance minister.

Okonjo-Iweala served as finance minister under the administrations of former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan.

Speaking during an interview organised by Atlantic Council, a United States think-tank on international affairs, on Tuesday, the WTO DG said her life was threatened for doing her job.

Okonjo-Iweala said during Obasanjo’s administration, she worked to ensure renegotiation of Nigeria’s debt in the international community.

She said Nigeria was indebted by $30 billion to the Paris Club with a debt service of $2 billion a year, of which the country could only pay $1 billion.

The former minister said the country’s debt was later systematised with the help of good reforms.

During the period, Paris Club reached an agreement to grant relief of about $18 billion (60 percent) on the $30 billion owed, which lowered Nigeria’s external debt from $35.94 billion in 2004 to $20.48 billion in 2005.

During Jonathan’s administration, Okonjo-Iweala said her effort was directed at tackling corruption and improving the financial system with the use of technology.

“And just by having an integrated financial management system, we were able to cut down on the phenomenon of ghost workers, you know where people used to put additional people on the payroll in the ministries, ghost pensioners, because ghost workers will graduate to ghost pensioners, and so we got rid of that and saved $1.1 billion for the government,” she said.

“So that is, we were fighting other types of corruption. We had an oil subsidy system in which we used to pay marketers.

“Oil marketers who brought in refined oil, you know, we paid them the difference between the market price, and the subsidised price that the government was mandated for selling oil to people.

“And so, that was when I came the second time. This was a big problem. When I left government the first time in 2006, these subsidies were about $2 billion, when I came back, the first thing we noticed was that it had grown to $11 billion.

“So, I asked President Jonathan that we could audit the oil accounts which he fully supported. When we audited, $8.5 billion of the accounts, we found $2.5 billion of fraudulent claims and with his backing, we refused to pay that to the marketers and that led to a series of problems, which I won’t bore you with, including threats to my life.

“My mother being kidnapped for five days was one of the worst periods of my life and it was a very tough period.

“But, that being said, I think the privilege of serving my country as finance minister for several years, to being able to work on some reforms is one of the best things I’ve ever done.”

Source: TheCable
[/s] you are unrepentant liar.After killed Nigeria both financially and economically and headed to borrowed money to pay civil servants.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by joe54: 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2021
This Igbo woman is a rare gem.
An embodiment of integrity, intelligence, resilience, a true leader and technocrat But for the corrupt politicians she would have effected true change. I celebrate you. Igbo amaka
WHEN WILL WE GET A FEMALE PRESIDENT?

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by orisa37: 7:42pm On Jul 14, 2021
SORRY NGO. YOUR LIFE WAS ALSO THREATENED UNFAIRLY BY OSIOHOMOLE.

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by zombieHUNTER: 7:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s] you are unrepentant liar.After killed Nigeria both financially and economically and headed to borrowed money to pay civil servants.

What is Buhari doing today?...
How is Nigeria today compared to her days in office...
Nigeria is a burial ground right in front of you
Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world
Nigeria is the unemployment capital
We have spent six years discussing cows

Shame on you
Spits

162 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Wickedfact: 9:46am On Jul 15, 2021
That is because you were in a government of thieves. Now, we have Al Qaeda supporters and Boko Haram-nominated negotiators in government.

16 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Wickedfact: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s] you are unrepentant liar.After killed Nigeria both financially and economically and headed to borrowed money to pay civil servants.

Please, stop using Tinubu in your moniker to spew such rubbish. You are too daft to be using Tinubu in your moniker. Your foolishness is a constant source of embarrassment.

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
let just see how everything goes
Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by ubaobi: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
A star can never be hidden. It always shines bright. Have you ever wondered why we started our ill fated journey into recession immediately she left as finance Minister despite the fact that oil prices started falling as far back as 2013. Why food prices remained stable in 2014 and early 2015 . Why inflation jumped from 9.2% to 17.4% (unheard of in the history of Nigeria) less than six months after she left. Funny enough, she warned as far back as 2012 that we would find ourselves where we are now and advocated for the creation of a sovereign wealth fund. A certain "child of God" governor (Amaechi) and his cohorts (Uduaghan, Oshiomole e.t.c) frustrated all her efforts at saving for the rainy day. These same set of people frustrated the govt efforts at curbing wastage in the system E.g removal of fuel subsidy. It is very disgusting to see the followers of these same set of people criticizing NOI. Nepotism and tribalism have eaten so deep into the fabrics of our society. That's why we currently have a lot of unqualified elements running this circus show of an entity.

25 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Lanretoye(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
Na those COWries e go be,God pass them...since their cows are no longer producing enough milk again,they have resulted into milking the country.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by tunwumi: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
They are your brothers
Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by toffyz(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
Nigerians has always been the problem of Nigeria.

Toffyz 2021

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Seniorwriter(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
STORY FOR THE gods.

Tell that to gullible Nigerians and your co clueless past & present leaders.
Nonsense woman that postulated and planned that for Naira to balance in her own stupid economical assertion it has to exchange @1k naira to one dollar($1) ...imagine.
Very wicked & insensitive creature.

.......always trying to gather emotional sentiments but at the back ends planning evil with her cohorts.
It is true about the saying that not all wealth or affluence are enviable....this is one.
49cents:

You are known by nobody....a complete shell of hate and envy ...your anger basically is about her tribe or religion or because she isnt a government rodent of this administration
Stop been slow and learn ...if you are young by now you'll know it's wrong to be tribalistic in this times and generation unless you are yet to comprehend that each tribe in Nigeria is seen as one in the eyes of other countries. More so you don't know my tribe! SMH @your Toxic Ignorance.
You wouldn't have come out to be seen as SLOW if you had attacked my comment on her and debunked it rather than ignorantly hold unto bias tribe reasoning....get a life.
If you quote me without comments to debunk my statements about her then you are a lost case.

We need young visionary leadership.

@Seniorwriter

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Stupidquestions: 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
It's easy to form saint in retrospect even when no investigation has been conducted over your tenure

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Emu4life(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2021
During the Drunkards' regime

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Onyenna(m): 9:48am On Jul 15, 2021
It’s a pity
Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by CSTRR: 9:48am On Jul 15, 2021
She created the sovereign wealth fund, excess crude account, IPPIS, BVN, Amcon.

It is clear that she wants to save.

She is possibly the mother of modern Nigeria.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by McOluOmo: 9:49am On Jul 15, 2021
F
Re: Okonjo-iweala: My Life Threatened For Saving Nigeria $3.6bn From Ghost Workers by Coldie(m): 9:49am On Jul 15, 2021
To your greatest surprise all of the people involved in the scam are walking free and are presently in Apc

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibe Kachikwu Negotiates $15Billion Oil Deal In India / South-East Senators Caution Nnamdi Kanu On Bail Conditions / Did Peter Obi Actually Break The Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.