Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,402 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others (62400 Views)

Multichoice Increases Subscription Rates For DSTV, Gotv Packages / Reps’ Bill Empowers NBC To Decide Tariffs For DSTV, Others / NBC Directs Gotv, DSTV, Others To Allow Local Stations Run Without Subscription (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by SouthSouth1914: 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2021
redcliff:

then what of operational costs for the company? I mean, if you are using economic situation as a yardstick, in the nigeria context, it means that the company are also struggling to get their services across to you which in turn affects their finances, shey make them reduce price of their service because economy hard? what about them? who compensates them for the deficit?

Rightly said! Unless we are defining DSTV as a luxury goods which suppose not to be so. Everything boils down to inflation, the less QT demanded will obviously drive prices down!
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Lightorder: 12:32pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:
DSTV is not a government agency it is a private owned business federal government has no right to dictate the price of their services!

Will government also subside their operational cost??

IF YOU CANT AFFORD DSTV THEN GO FOR OTHER CHEAPER ONES! PERIOD. I agree with you on everything you said minus being a businessman. Reckless spending is not in the character of businessmen. They spend judiciously to stay in business and not to go broke

edit: too many mentions.

PLEASE STOP MENTIONING ME AM NOT THE CAUSE OF YOUR POVERTY!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DSTV PAYS TO PARTNER CHANNELS? OR YOU THINK THEY ARE GETTING THOSE CHANNELS FOR FREE?

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY BRIBE YOUR SENATORS AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES PER YEAR?

AM A BUSINESSMAN - ONLY A BUSINESS MAN WILL UNDERSTAND THE DIFFICULTIES, BOTTLENECKS AND VERY HIGH COST OF OPERATING A BUSINESS IN NIGERIA!

Please go mind the cause of your poverty and stop mentioning me - if you cant afford DSTV there is still Startime, TSTV, Strong and loads of other free-to-air channels for you to watch! cheesy
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by OmoManU: 12:32pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:
DSTV is not a government agency it is a private owned business federal government has no right to dictate the price of their services!

IF YOU CANT AFFORD DSTV THEN GO FOR OTHER CHEAPER ONES! PERIOD.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DSTV PAYS TO PARTNER CHANNELS? OR YOU THINK THEY ARE GETTING THOSE CHANNELS FOR FREE?

AM A BUSINESSMAN - ONLY A BUSINESS MAN WILL UNDERSTAND THE DIFFICULTIES, BOTTLENECKS AND VERY HIGH COST OF OPERATING A BUSINESS IN NIGERIA!

Please go mind the cause of your poverty and stop mentioning me - if you cant afford DSTV there is still Startime, TSTV, Strong and loads of other free-to-air channels for you to watch! cheesy

Yeye talk, if they like they should charge 1m naira per month, nobody is stopping them, what we're saying is they should make subscription pay as you use not forcing 30 days on anybody, oga DSTV spokesman
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by SouthSouth1914: 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2021
ivolt:

The prices of goods and services should reflect the production cost and owners profits.
We are not communist!

Sure thing! But you need to realize DSTV has peaked, plus the less quantity demanded will drive the prices down, the suggestion by the house is even good publicity for DSTV
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by jcross19: 12:34pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

you are part of Nigeria problem, and you are reflection of decay system... So why are they bribing our senators? So that they can eat more than what they can chew!!.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by phemmyfour: 12:40pm On Jul 15, 2021
SouthSouth1914:

First I said in my opinion! Secondly, entertainment and food prices cannot be compared! Conclusively, inflation will drive them to reduce their price anyway!
You probably didn't do economics in school

Which particular commodity is cheap right now in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by WibusJaga: 12:40pm On Jul 15, 2021
Inasmuch as this is commendable, but it may be difficult to implement because prices are driven by operational costs & other market forces.
Even if Pay As You Go is implemented, the tarrifs will go up.

Government should create enabling environment for other competitors to come in & this will naturally force down prices.
This was the case in the GSM telecoms sector.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by AdeniyiA(m): 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2021
They only have to 'settle' some powers that be and all this noise shall give way to graveyard silence on the matter sad
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2021
Will they implement it ?
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Holluwhakemmy(f): 12:45pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

you be DSTV paying agent? Please be wise.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by bluefilm: 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2021
I wonder how they will implement the pay-as-you-go package
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Mysticbabe: 12:50pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Mr Bezos, Bill Gate of nigeria...Are you okay?
Why is the cost of subscription cheaper in other African countries with the same number of channels and packages?
Do you also know that its pay-as-view in other countries where they operate?

If you really dont have anything sensible to say...just keep your mouth shut.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2021
Ayoemrys:
Good development, dstv Bern cheating Nigerians since 1930

I haven't been viewing my gotv for 2 weeks now and I subscribe 3500 for a month,

3600 boss
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by notym2chektym: 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

See am, mumu man

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by cejaypriesty(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Stop calling people poor ,you are not their maker. Besides no one mentioned you and you already bashing your non existing critics.calm down please some of these people are doing well more than you. Atleast you are not the one buying them data.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by aujile(m): 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2021
I can't possibly forget that experience, especially when you call glo line and it enters voicemail... Boom!
It actually made me hate Glo

FacelessKing:
In 2001 before Glo, MTN calls were Charged per minute. So even if you make 3 secs, you were charged for a minute. Government policies and fierce competition from Glo changed that.

Anyway, you probably weren’t even born then so I forgive your senseless level of reasoning.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by lexy2014: 1:03pm On Jul 15, 2021
Ayoemrys:
Good development, dstv Bern cheating Nigerians since 1930

I haven't been viewing my gotv for 2 weeks now and I subscribe 3500 for a month,

The House noted that the National Broadcasting Commission saddled with the responsibility of licensing and regulating the activities of service providers must also have the power to moderate in the protection of consumers to guard against exploitation.

D NBC is more concerned about regulating d media all in d name of fighting fake news. They have no idea what consumer protection is
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by aujile(m): 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2021
Irrespective of the price, Pay As You Go will still be much better Because a lot of people don't get to watch any channel after subscription before it expires. I hardly stay at home and when I get home, I want to rest and mostly with my phone while getting ready to sleep. But it doesn't stop my subscription from expiring and then those dstv people will start disturbing my life with calls.
So it's better for us to pay each time we watch, not that it must expire after a 30-day cycle.
Remember it's the same thing that happened before prepaid meter came. Those that doesn't have prepaid are still paying bills that they didn't use, even if them no see light for 3 months.

WibusJaga:
Inasmuch as this is commendable, but it may be difficult to implement because prices are driven by operational costs & other market forces.
Even if Pay As You Go is implemented, the tarrifs will go up.

Government should create enabling environment for other competitors to come in & this will naturally force down prices.
This was the case in the GSM telecoms sector.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by ogbiwa: 1:14pm On Jul 15, 2021
ntyce:

Let me come to defend him.

Dstv isn't the only cable TV platform.

There are several others to choose from.

Benz is sold for 50m, Kia is 6m, will the govt enforce Benz to reduce their price?

Dstv spends billions in acquiring TV deals of the best leagues in the world.
They pay for these rights in USD and GBP, with the ever increasing exchange rate, I was even expecting a price increase from them.

Would you have them drop the quality service they render and operate like other platforms.

What the govt can do is to allows competition challenge DStv.

How much is cable TV in South Africa
Cable TV is given at pay per view in South Africa
Why are DStv not running at loss if they're doing all these subsidies there and other countries apart from Nigeria. Oga DStv are making billions in profit. They can AFFORD to subsidise and still make great profits even after spending on all their programs. That's why they're doing it in those other countries because the governments there won't let them bill it's citizens unnecessarily. But coming to Nigeria they saw an opening to exploit and make way more profit because the govt don't care. So that's what this is about

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by atobs4real(m): 1:14pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Why dragging your self to this issue?
Are we not supposed to be charged on pay-as-you-go basis?

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by erinatso: 1:17pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

u calm down nah u want carry ur frustration put for d guy head?
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 15, 2021
This so called bill is being passed for selfish reasons. One rep is annoyed because he's paying high for dstv subscription. Perhaps she's paying for his many side chicks too to the cost is much. Like every other law passed, its skewed for personal reasons.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by kebliss(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2021
ivolt:

The prices of goods and services should reflect the production cost and owners profits.
We are not communist!
Then let all this stated cost be factored in to this new billing method of "Pay As You Go"
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Hilena(m): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

It's obvious that you don't have DStv at home.. if not you won't be saying this trash

As for me and my family pay as you go is very key.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by PrincewithGod(m): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2021
FacelessKing:
In 2001 before Glo, MTN calls were Charged per minute. So even if you make 3 secs, you were charged for a minute. Government policies and fierce competition from Glo changed that.

Anyway, you probably weren’t even born then so I forgive your senseless level of reasoning.
Don't mind him, he might be a DSTV staff trying to protect his job.

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Addme: 1:21pm On Jul 15, 2021
Ournolly:

That's not true, NCC can regulate any telecom network, they do have such power.
Yes NCC can regulate but they can not fix prices. Regulations and price fixing are two different things. It's the market forces with competition that fixes price. Can Reps tell the market women how to sell their goods? It's not possible..
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Princeton92(m): 1:27pm On Jul 15, 2021
LMAO
Finally ooooo, them get sense small
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by WHOcarex: 1:27pm On Jul 15, 2021
Hahahahahaha. Bunch of clowns. Na today?

E be like say their yearly subscription don end and DStv never answer them. That's why them dey throw tantrum. If DStv don sub for them now, they go keep quiet.

Idiats!!
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by luluman: 1:30pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Better shut up, insensitive Nigerian.If your DSTV gets annoyed they should leave the country now,if we cant dictate to them at least we can give condition in our country.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by DigitB: 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2021
I once heard one of DSTV's bragging in the dailies that Pay per view will NEVER be implemented in their network.
Give men small power they start feeling like god's.

I stopped subscribing my DSTV because I'm rarely at home to watch... With pay per view I'll start subscribing again.

I hope the resolution of the house gets implanted.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by barcaboi(m): 1:32pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

When people mention poverty to attach others it shows what mindset they have

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Download Full Movie: A Trip To Jamaica | By Ay, Funke… / Ilebaye Wins Big Brother Naija All Stars 2023 / "Thin Tall Tony Looks Like Diego Costa" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.