Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? (5963 Views)

Are Jehovah Witness People Real Christians? / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Tied To Freemasons? / Who Are Jehovah’s Witnesses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2021
Many people claimed that JWs do not believe in the gift of prophesy as seen today and they also say that JWs are false prophets because they suppossedly have prophesied things that didn’t happen. Yea, this inconsistencies do not flow together.
Out of fairness to the honesthearted people that might be interested in answer, let's examine the facts more closely.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses prophets?

The simple answer is NO!
Never have we claimed to giving out a prophesy ‘in the name of Jehovah'. Infact many of our official journal have said the following;

"We have not the gift of prophecy.” (January 1883, page 425)

“Nor would we have our writings reverenced or regarded as infallible.” (December 15, 1896, page 306)

And Our Watchtower article, however having Jehovah's holyspirit -;

does not mean those now serving as Jehovah’s witnesses are inspired. It does not mean that the writings in this magazine The Watchtower are inspired and infallible and without mistakes.” (May 15, 1947, page 157)

“The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic.” (August 15, 1950, page 263)

“The brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers.-2 Timothy 3:16 And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. Proverbs 4:18 ”​—February 15, 1981, page 19.

Closer examination shows that never once has the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization claimed to be prophets.

But? Why do people call them a Failed prophets? Do they want to make them one so they can use that adjective? Have they prophesied wrongly in the past?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2021
People in general connect the word “prophet” with predictions of the future. Though prophets in the Bible usually proclaimed predictions about the future, the Scriptural definition of a prophet is wider:
In Bible times, prophet is a person who receives specific messages . they do not do that under their own initiative.

Today the organisation of Jehovah’s Witnesses act like a prophet in that we proclaim an old message, one that was written down in the pages of the Bible. We spread nothing new.

We have never made any false predictions.What we have been guilty of is misunderstanding some of the prophecies that relate to the “end times”.
Afterall, we never claimed that our researches are infallible. Contrary to many religions, we are prepared to change if we find out we were incorrect.

You can visit Jw.org for more information.
Use the keyword; Bible prophesy

My Post is for those who have deep interest in Bible and what it really teaches and It is not meant to challenge or dispute any personal belief and nor will I debate such. if your comments/questions are civil, I'll reply them'.

Have a great day

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Bishopkingsley(m): 12:11pm On Jul 16, 2021
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2021
Bishopkingsley:
No one wants to have anything to do with jehova witness since they act like a cult rewriting Bible to suit their evil doctrine

Saying Jesus is an angel
Once the foundation is evil then other things become evil

I assume you're an adult. Please act like one. Jehovah's witnesses religion is just one of thousands of religion with contradictory teachings. So, it's not unexpectable that their teaching is different from yours.

Though what you wrote there is not related to OP but JWs are not alone in that understanding. Seventh Day Adventist are Trinitarians that believe Jesus is an Archangel. What do you have to say to them?
What is the name of your church?

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Bishopkingsley(m): 12:33pm On Jul 16, 2021
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Bishopkingsley(m): 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2021
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 12:40pm On Jul 16, 2021
Bishopkingsley:

You must be dreaming

Seventh-day Adventist Christians believe there is one God.
And that this one God is is three co-eternal beings who work together in unity.
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit have always been, and always will be.
It’s impossible to wrap our finite minds around this infinite concept.

https://www.adventist.org/trinity/

Don't be a waste of time please. I have already said they believe in Trinity and also that Jesus is Archangel Michael.
Won't you add them to the list of your cult groups? cheesy

Stick to the thread please

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Bishopkingsley(m): 12:42pm On Jul 16, 2021
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by thorpido(m): 12:43pm On Jul 16, 2021
Is Jesus an angel,Op?
How do you have the Spirit of God and yet cannot prophesy?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 12:46pm On Jul 16, 2021
Bishopkingsley:

I told you they don't believe in Jesus been angel whatever you call it

https://www.nairaland.com/6625953/bible-proves-jesus-god
It's so funny how some clowns can tell people what their belief is.
Ordinary Google would have saved you of this embarrassment

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/materials/is-michael-another-name-for-jesus/
Rest please!

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/materials/is-michael-another-name-for-jesus/
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Bishopkingsley(m): 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2021
Clown what

bye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 1:14pm On Jul 16, 2021
thorpido:
Is Jesus an angel Op?
How do you have the Spirit of God and yet cannot prophesy?

Thank you for that question cheesy
I'll only address the second that is related to the topic

The apostle Paul spoke of these miraculous gifts, incuding the 'Gift of prophesy' and said that they would pass away in time. (1 Cor. 13:cool
Prophecy, stopped, because it served its purpose, that Jehovah God had for it.
The, purpose, that Jehovah God, used prophecy for, was to inspire the Bible to be written, by men that he choose.

Bible being complete as a guide to the congregation today, nothing needs to be added. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Rev. 22:18, 19) .

Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with.(1 Cor 3:18)

What will never fail is LOVE!
And Jesus said that will be the identifying mark of his disciples and not 'gift of prophesy' (John 13:35)

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2021
Bishopkingsley:
Clown what

bye

How can people be this dishonest?
You can't even admit to be wrong in something trivial as this , instead you went to delete all where you commited blunders after I showed you cheesy. Can I expect more when it comes to matters above this? No! cheesy
I wonder what your bible is teaching you about honesty.

Apart from upbringing, circumstances also make a person dishonest.

Have a great day!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by thorpido(m): 1:26pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

Thank you for that question cheesy
I'll only address the second that is related to the topic

The apostle Paul spoke of these miraculous gifts, incuding the 'Gift of prophesy' and said that they would pass away in time. (1 Cor. 13:cool
Prophecy, stopped, because it served its purpose, that Jehovah God had for it.
The, purpose, that Jehovah God, used prophecy for, was to inspire the Bible to be written, by men that he choose.

Bible being complete as a guide to the congregation today, nothing needs to be added. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Rev. 22:18, 19) .

Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with.(1 Cor 3:18)

What will never fail is LOVE!
And Jesus said that will be the identifying mark of his disciples and not 'gift of prophesy' (John 13:35)
@bolded,if prophesy has ceased,has speaking in tongues ceased?Has knowledge ceased? according to the 1 Corinthians 3:18 you quoted.

May God wipe away blindness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Betscoreodds: 1:28pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

How can people be this dishonest?
You can't even admit to be wrong in something trivial as this , instead you went to delete all where you commited blunders after I showed you cheesy. Can I expect more when to comes to matters above this? No! cheesy
I wonder what your bible is teaching you about honesty.

Apart from upbringing, circumstances also make a person dishonest.

Have a great day!
you fool he probably removed it because you called him clown why would a true child of God say angel is Jesus that evil,,,,,,, Jesus is our God we are not the sons of an angel,,,,, you are of your father the devil who hates Christ so much,,, jws is a demonic cult

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 1:37pm On Jul 16, 2021
thorpido:
@bolded,if prophesy has ceased,has speaking in tongues ceased?Has knowledge ceased? according to the 1 Corinthians 3:18 you quoted.

May God wipe away blindness.

Remember I said I'm only interested in having conversations with people that have deep interest in the Bible and not on general opinion.

According to God's word, after completion of the writing of the inspired word of God, the gifts of the prophecy ended along with the other miraculous gifts of the spirit.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by thorpido(m): 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

Remember I said I'm only interested in having conversations with people that have deep interest in the Bible and not on general opinion.

According to God's word, after completion of the writing of the inspired word of God, the gifts of the prophecy ended along with the other miraculous gifts of the spirit.
Amazing how you dodged the questions I raised from the very scripture you quoted.

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 1:44pm On Jul 16, 2021
Betscoreodds:
you fool he probably removed it because you called him clown why would a true child of God say angel is Jesus that evil,,,,,,, Jesus is our God we are not the sons of an angel,,,,, you are of your father the devil who hates Christ so much,,, jws is a demonic cult

He called me a cultist . ofcourse he wouldn't remove it because I called him a joker after I told him severally to research it before embarrassing himself.
Seventh Day Adventist, your Trinitarians brothers are demons too? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Betscoreodds: 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2021
thorpido:
Amazing how you dodged the questions I raised from the very scripture you quoted.
that how they pervert the scriptures to suit their evil teachings, if he tells you knowledge has stopped he knows you will ask him what is he then preaching.... Rather they will divert from the truth.... Jesus called us little children shows he is our father our God... Imagine an angel to be Christ that blasphemy

4 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by Betscoreodds: 1:50pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

He called me a cultist . ofcourse he wouldn't remove it because I called a joker after I told home severally to research it before embarrassing himself.
only one evil devil hates Jesus and his children follow in his footprints jws is of the devil and the lust of your father you will do after you pervert Jesus name next thing is you move to holy spirit saying he is a mere force.... Why don't just join Muslims that the same thing they believe

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by achorladey: 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2021
@haddeylium this is a classical thread where you have decided to select, choose what suit the agenda you want to propagate and keep the remainder that didn't dance to your tune out of sight. An act your masters taught you very well.

I know you know what you are doing grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2021
thorpido:

Thought you would grasp it with the summary .

'Speaking in tongue'?
The phrase are old English word. In modern English, the accurate translation is 'Speaking in Different languages'
Early Christians that have this miraculous gift can speak others people languages without having learned it. (Acts 10:46,) The speaker was easily understood by anyone who knew that language. (Acts 2:​4-cool
It was a necessity then because the small christain group are only conversant with Hebrew and Greek' languages. Now, they have to speak to people from Asia , Africa and other continent. It's not some mumbo jumbo as seen today.
Today, under God's guidance holyspirit the Bible is available today in almost all languages and even sign languages.
You can visit Jw.org to read a Bible in your tongue

speech of knowledge?
It was a miraculous knowledge that made up for the lack of copies of the Scriptures. The number of inspired scrolls is limited them . This miraculous gift bring in remembrance God's words in the scroll and also alerted of the congregation situation(Acts 5:1-11)

Today, God has provided his entire Word, which today can be possessed in printed form or electronic copies by the most humble person.. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) Furthermore, knowledge is available to all through Bible study helps such as commentaries, concordances and Bible dictionaries, as well as help from qualified teacher wink

Thank you
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by achorladey: 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:
Many people claimed that JWs do not believe in the gift of prophesy as seen today and they also say that JWs are false prophets because they suppossedly have prophesied things that didn’t happen. Yea, this inconsistencies do not flow together.
Out of fairness to the honesthearted people that might be interested in answer, let's examine the facts more closely.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses prophets?

The simple answer is NO!
Never have we claimed to giving out a prophesy ‘in the name of Jehovah'. Infact many of our official journal have said the following;

"We have not the gift of prophecy.” (January 1883, page 425)

“Nor would we have our writings reverenced or regarded as infallible.” (December 15, 1896, page 306)

And Our Watchtower article, however having Jehovah's holyspirit -;

does not mean those now serving as Jehovah’s witnesses are inspired. It does not mean that the writings in this magazine The Watchtower are inspired and infallible and without mistakes.” (May 15, 1947, page 157)

“The Watchtower does not claim to be inspired in its utterances, nor is it dogmatic.” (August 15, 1950, page 263)

“The brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers.-2 Timothy 3:16 And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. Proverbs 4:18 ”​—February 15, 1981, page 19.

Closer examination shows that never once has the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization claimed to be prophets.

But? Why do people call them a Failed prophets? Do they want to make them one so they can use that adjective? Have they prophesied wrongly in the past?

ARE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES PROPHETS?

The image below as captured in one of your publications is a testament of WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE.

In addition, the fact that you added Jehovah's witnesses don't believe in gift of prophecies and the same organisation went ahead to call themselves prophet in their publications shows the numerous contradictions that exist in the teachings of the organization you belong.

Once again from the image attached, ARE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES PROPHETS?

Who is that prophet that the magazine states is among them?

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2021
Betscoreodds:
only one evil devil hates Jesus and his children follow in his footprints jws is of the devil and the lust of your father you will do after you pervert Jesus name next thing is you move to holy spirit saying he is a mere force.... Why don't just join Muslims that the same thing they believe

I didn't see where any of this connect to the OP.
If you rephrase I'll answer them.

Thank you for your time

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by thorpido(m): 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

Thought you would grasp it with the summary .

'Speaking in tongue'?
The phrase are old English word. In modern English, the accurate translation is 'Speaking in Different languages'
Early Christians that have this miraculous gift can speak others people languages without having learned it. (Acts 10:46,) The speaker was easily understood by anyone who knew that language. (Acts 2:​4-cool
It was a necessity then because the small christain group are only conversant with Hebrew and Greek' languages. Now, they have to speak to people from Asia , Africa and other continent. It's not some mumbo jumbo as seen today.
Today, under God's guidance holyspirit the Bible is available today in almost all languages and even sign languages.
You can visit Jw.org to read a Bible in your tongue

speech of knowledge?
It was a miraculous knowledge that made up for the lack of copies of the Scriptures. The number of inspired scrolls is limited them . This miraculous gift bring in remembrance God's words in the scroll and also alerted of the congregation situation(Acts 5:1-11)

Today, God has provided his entire Word, which today can be possessed in printed form or electronic copies by the most humble person.. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) Furthermore, knowledge is available to all through Bible study helps such as commentaries, concordances and Bible dictionaries, as well as help from qualified teacher wink

Thank you

The knowledge that you say is available has ceased just as prophesy has ceased according to your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 3:18.Why are you asking me to seek knowledge from JW.org when you say it has ceased?
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 2:39pm On Jul 16, 2021
thorpido:
The knowledge that you say is available has ceased just as prophesy has ceased according to your interpretation of 1 Corinthians 3:18.Why are you asking me to seek knowledge from JW.org when you say it has ceased?

Good question!
Then, you don't need to[b]seek[/b] a knowledge about something. it's miraculous.
Now, that Bible is in completion and the has Gift ceased. You have to seek it in God's word. Bible commentaries, corcondance can contribute as knowledge aid.

Thank you wink

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:41pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

He called me a cultist . ofcourse he wouldn't remove it because I called him a joker after I told home severally to research it before embarrassing himself.

My brother this is the same person Bishopkingsley said i was trading words with but please ask Bishopkingsley to paste exactly the post where i abused or insulted this person! smiley

Throughout the conversation i kept pacifying him to take things easy because this is social media where people do trade words but wise people knew quite well that they're just feeling bad after been outsmarted that all! smiley
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

My brother this is the same person Bishopkingsley said i was trading words with but please ask Bishopkingsley to paste exactly the post where i abused or insulted this person! smiley

Throughout the conversation i kept pacifying him to take things easy because this is social media where people do trade words but wise people knew quite well that they're just feeling bad after been outsmarted that all! smiley

This particular one is a very dishonest person.
He goofed point blank. Rather than admit that he was wrong, he deleted all the posts he made about it. To what end exactly?
This is why sometimes I don't like conversation on a platform like this. Even when the other person know you're telling the truth wouldn't admit so to save face .
Then, we have this other one that compliment his comments with other moniker just for validation. That's ewwww

That cartoon is just the pictorial reality of today. Many People read the Bible to support their own view of worship.
Who's ready to change when the Bible challenge his belief?

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by haddeylium(m): 4:04pm On Jul 16, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

He goofed point blank. Rather than admit that he was wrong, he deleted all the posts he made about it. To what end exactly?
This is why sometimes I don't like conversation on a platform like this. Even when the other person know you're telling the truth wouldn't admit so to save face .
Then, we have this other one that compliment his comments with other moniker just for validation. That's ewwww

That cartoon is just the pictorial reality of today. Many People read the Bible to support their own view of worship and lifestyle.

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by achorladey: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2021
haddeylium:

That cartoon is just the pictorial reality of today. Many People read the Bible to support their own view of worship and lifestyle.

That cartoon is just the pictorial reality of today. Many People read the Bible to support their own view of worship and lifestyle. Who's ready to change when the Bible challenge his belief?

As long as the mirror faces you as well and you don't decide to look elsewhere when the same mirror is set standing right in front of you.

Then, we have this other one that compliment his comments with other moniker just for validation.

grin grin grin one of your brother/friend should see himself in the mirror now.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by DappaD: 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2021
Interesting topic @ OP!

Yes, people are often swift to label Jehovah’s Witnesses “false prophets” meanwhile they fail to realise that “prophecy” means an inspired utterance given under influence of divine will(holy spirit) so if Jehovah’s Witnesses have always claimed to be uninspired, then it means they aren’t prophets because like the Scriptures says, “presumptuousness is a grevious sin” (Psalm 19:13) and that is what they’re trying to avoid.

What can those criticizing the Witnesses have to say about the disciples of Jesus who did not fully understand all he was teaching even while Jesus was physically with them? Luke 19:11, 24:19-21,
That’s why Jesus had to correct them even though they had a misplaced understanding of God’s will at first. Luke 19:12-27, 24:25-27

So what really is at play here is that the Witnesses have the same zeal and fervour as the first century Christians and they also eagerly desire to see these prophecies fulfilled but they are not cast aside since Jesus never did that to his disciples!

Instead, Jehovah supplies his holy spirit to enable us to understand the prophecies that already recorded in the Scriptures (John 14:26) and this process of understanding is done gradually since Jehovah doesn’t just bombard his servants with all the knowledge at once(Ephesians 1:9,10) but so that his servants by means of holy spirit can be able to peer and search into the very “deep things of God” 1Corinthians 2:10

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Prophets? by achorladey: 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2021
DappaD:
Interesting topic @ OP!

Yes, people are often swift to label Jehovah’s Witnesses “false prophets” meanwhile they fail to realise that “prophecy” means an inspired utterance given under influence of divine will(holy spirit) so if Jehovah’s Witnesses have always claimed to be uninspired, then it means they aren’t prophets because like the Scriptures says, “presumptuousness is a grevious sin” (Psalm 19:13) and that is what they’re trying to avoid.

What can those criticizing the Witnesses have to say about the disciples of Jesus who did not fully understand all he was teaching even while Jesus was physically with them? Luke 19:11, 24:19-21,
That’s why Jesus had to correct them even though they had a misplaced understanding of God’s will at first. Luke 19:12-27, 24:25-27

So what really is at play here is that the Witnesses have the same zeal and fervour as the first century Christians and they also eagerly desire to see these prophecies fulfilled but they are not cast aside since Jesus never did that to his disciples!

Instead, Jehovah supplies his holy spirit to enable us to understand the prophecies that already recorded in the Scriptures (John 14:26) and this process of understanding is done gradually since Jehovah doesn’t just bombard his servants with all the knowledge at once(Ephesians 1:9,10) but so that his servants by means of holy spirit can be able to peer and search into the very “deep things of God” 1Corinthians 2:10

Yes, people are often swift to label Jehovah’s Witnesses “false prophets

But Jehovah's witnesses are not swift in calling others false Christians or in pidgin (lie lie Christians) in this same lie lie ones are the honest hearted(truthful) that you seek to convert into members.

Jehovah's witnesses know they are not inspired or claimed they are not inspired and still went ahead to print magazines like the one below....

So what do you expect others to call them when the same mouth that says they are not prophet says they are? grin grin

E get as e be ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Christians: I See Vivid Things When I Close My Eyes Before/after/during Prayer / Christ Embassy To Break Record With 12, 000 Man Choir / Where Did Cain Got His Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.