Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,008 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada (1112 Views)

A Tanker Heading To Iganmu Bridge From Sifax Burst Into Flames / 20 Things You Must Know As A Nigerian Before Heading To The UAE. / Convoy Of Borno King Heading To Kaduna For Durbar Involved In Accident (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Childofthelord(f): 4:55am On Jul 17, 2021
Here's what I'll tell you:
- Before leaving Nigeria do not bother packing clothes, instead gather raw food items, those are pretty expensive here.
- Ensure you have both student visa(in passport) and TRV(Temporary resident visa).
- There are cheap mobile plans like Fido ($15/month).
- Renting an apartment close to the university is way cheaper especially with roommates.
- Attend career development workshops; they really help with resume, cover letters and various job prospects.
- You are allowed to work 20 hours a week during Fall and Winter. You can work much longer hours in the Summer!
- Do not blow your CAD on new textbooks, you can borrow from the library, talk to existing students and professors, ask about getting older
versions.
- For your courses, if you are facing any challenges, feel free to talk to your academic advisors and professors, you can drop/switch courses.
- Visit the international students' advisors office, attend their parties, make friends!
- Join clubs and societies.

Jara
Always be punctual to class, arrive at the bus station early.
Always verify hear-say from the government official website.
Make friends, connect, volunteer, attend a Zumba class, smile, speak up, ask questions, ask for directions.
Be open minded and be respectful to the LGBTQ members.
Have a budget (body go tell you anyway)
Use google: Search! Be resourceful!

There goes my 2cents + taxes wink

12 Likes

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by maiiilooo(m): 5:56am On Jul 17, 2021
Thanks alot. please can i get a scholarship with 2:1 to study masters in canada

2 Likes

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Olalekank(m): 6:39am On Jul 17, 2021
maiiilooo:
Thanks alot. please can i get a scholarship with 2:1 to study masters in canada

Read the last point of her advice smiley

5 Likes

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by OneMarvee(f): 12:36am On Jul 18, 2021
Nice tips! I like how you mentioned the need to be respectful and open-minded, because things dey occur grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Tinyemeka(m): 2:25pm On Jul 18, 2021
Childofthelord:
- Do not blow your CAD on new textbooks, you can borrow from the library, talk to existing students and professors, ask about getting older
versions.
- For your courses, if you are facing any challenges, feel free to talk to your academic advisors and professors, you can drop/switch courses.
- Visit the international students' advisors office, attend their parties, make friends!

Won't there be visa issues if one changed courses midway?

Just asking please.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Davidganna10: 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2021
Tinyemeka:

Just asking please.
once you enter Canada or USA with student permit you can decide to change course or school, or even enroll for another course after completing the first one.

The koko na student permit/TRV.
Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Cousin9999: 5:21pm On Jul 18, 2021
Don't bring a bunch of food because a lot of it may get seized. The stuff you bring may have an agricultural impact. I mean you can try, but imagine them taking all your stuff. It's not like you can't get Nigerian food in Canada. And if you're looking for cheap food, you have plenty of options, even for fresh food.

Check to see what textbooks you can download, or pdfs you can get from friends.

The op didn't mention churches. They can be very valuable resources whether it's socializing, finding job opportunities, or anything.

Go to Caribana. grin You'll make lots of friends. lol

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by DonFreshmoney(m): 11:27pm On Jul 18, 2021
Childofthelord:
- Before leaving Nigeria do not bother packing clothes, instead gather raw food items, those are pretty expensive here.
- Ensure you have both student visa(in passport) and TRV(Temporary resident visa).
- There are cheap mobile plans like Fido ($15/month).
- Renting an apartment close to the university is way cheaper especially with roommates.
- Attend career development workshops; they really help with resume, cover letters and various job prospects.
- You are allowed to work 20 hours a week during Fall and Winter. You can work much longer hours in the Summer!
versions.

Jara
Always be punctual to class, arrive at the bus station early.
Always verify hear-say from the government official website.
Make friends, connect, volunteer, attend a Zumba class, smile, speak up, ask questions, ask for directions.
Be open minded and be respectful to the LGBTQ members.
Have a budget (body go tell you anyway)

Where in Vancouver u at? Holla please
Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by ayomideking(m): 5:13pm On Jul 19, 2021
DonFreshmoney:

Where in Vancouver u at? Holla please

Hello, I sent you a mail. Kindly respond to it, I really need to ask you some questions sir. Thanks in advance.
Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Childofthelord(f): 5:43pm On Jul 19, 2021
No, there wouldn't be, you can even change your field of study. I had a friend who initially enrolled for Bsc Microbiology. After 6 months, she decided to switch to nursing and that worked well! plus she needed to extend her study permit with proof of enrollment. That's all.
Tinyemeka:

Just asking please.
Re: 10 Key Tidbits For International Students Heading To Canada by Childofthelord(f): 10:42am On Jul 23, 2021
You know it!
OneMarvee:
Nice tips! I like how you mentioned the need to be respectful and open-minded, because things dey occur grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Is My Fate? I Need Help With Options / Naija Our Home Forever / I Need Info From Austria,spain Or Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.