Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights (663 Views)

Windscribe VPN Mocks Nigerians And Buhari After Twitter Ban Was Lifted (Photos) / How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives / Nigerians And Kenyans: Who Pays More For Data Services? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 11:14pm On Jul 17, 2021
Many Nigerians have a poor copyright culture. In other words, a good majority of us do not respect the copyright of others.

This can be seen especially with our copypaste bloggers or generally on social media. People will lift posts, text, photos, screenshots etc. off the sites or pages of other people and cannot even be honest enough to state where they got it from and give credit to the OP.

Common sense dictates that when you publish something on social media, it is automatically assumed to be yours unless credit is given to the author.

Most creative work on social media are usually under the Creative Commons license. This in general means that most (not all though) pictures, blog posts, YouTube videos are completely free to use so long as credit is given to the author.

This is important because it helps create awareness for creative minds as more and more people get to see their work. My second and third highest visitors on my site are Americans and Indians. How was I able to reach such an audience? Because when they shared posts, they added the links and gave credit.

Here in my dear Nigeria, when people actually remove your link and share the work under their name. Intellectual theft and dishonesty. I have met about three bloggers here on NL who have copypasted my work dot for dot and word for word on their sites. I had to threaten the last with my lawyer.

I have met my work on FB and imagine having to defend something that you wrote or having to prove you're the owner of the work. I have had to quarrel with one big seller here on NL who was also in the habit.

I have a zero tolerance policy to people who copy the work of others, be it text, posts or even photos and not acknowledge the creative mind that made it come to fruition. I spend weeks researching stuff that I write on and I do it from scratch. When I can't find info, I give credit, like the passage on fast charge that was gotten from XDA Developers.

I'll attach a screenshot on how the USA will soon overtake Nigeria as my number 1 audience. Want to know why? Because they respect an individual's copyright.

One human being lifted my article off NL here, removed the link underneath and posted it on Facebook. I accosted him about it and he took offence looking for respect.

Mr Ebenezer, I don't care your age. If you claim to be educated then you should act and do the appropriate thing. First off, you don't follow me on NL or Facebook so even if you don't, it doesn't matter.

Secondly, people follow quality and well researched content, not sentiments about old age. The article you plagiarized was sourced from Xiaomi and Canalys and I gave them due recognition. That's how educated people act.

The next time you try to PM me or call me, I will serve you with court papers for harassment and infringement of personal copyright.

Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by The5DME(m): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2021
Nawa.
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by hakeem4(m): 5:55am On Jul 18, 2021
I thought google has a way of removing copyrighted post from blogs?

Cause on YouTube they can remove if the owner wants it to be removed
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by skywalker240(m): 6:01am On Jul 18, 2021
Gbam.
greedy and unserious people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Randerl: 6:55am On Jul 18, 2021
@atheistandproud, Welcome to the World of Plagiarism. Many good-for-nothing soCalled blogger-writers think EVERY ONLINE CONTENT is FR33 to lift and post on their useless marketing blogs.

Some ediots will even go as far as Rewriting your original material thereby distorting its original message.

In 2012, l bought my first LG Android device with lots of challenges facing Android users then. I searched on the net for solutions to no avail. I proceeded to GSM Arena comment section of the said device an dropped tips for overcoming the device limitations. All these tips came as a result of my usage patterns.

Guess what, a writer on a foreign blog lifted my writeup word for word and posted same on his blog. No reference, no credit.

I can keep citing examples of device reviews that ended up pushing prices of devices. An example was a Lenovo device that shot up from #27k to #54k plus.

I keep my shlt to maself.

No more freebies.

Sorry but those are lost revenues. Try reporting those plagiarising your blog contents. Make sure you show proof of ownership.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 18, 2021
Check some of your stuff might be showing on some west african blogs not just those mentioned in your writeup

atheistandproud:
Many Nigerians have a poor copyright culture. In other words, a good majority of us do not respect the copyright of others.

This can be seen especially with our copypaste bloggers or generally on social media. People will lift posts, text, photos, screenshots etc. off the sites or pages of other people and cannot even be honest enough to state where they got it from and give credit to the OP.

Common sense dictates that when you publish something on social media, it is automatically assumed to be yours unless credit is given to the author.

Most creative work on social media are usually under the Creative Commons license. This in general means that most (not all though) pictures, blog posts, YouTube videos are completely free to use so long as credit is given to the author.

This is important because it helps create awareness for creative minds as more and more people get to see their work. My second and third highest visitors on my site are Americans and Indians. How was I able to reach such an audience? Because when they shared posts, they added the links and gave credit.

Here in my dear Nigeria, when people actually remove your link and share the work under their name. Intellectual theft and dishonesty. I have met about three bloggers here on NL who have copypasted my work dot for dot and word for word on their sites. I had to threaten the last with my lawyer.

I have met my work on FB and imagine having to defend something that you wrote or having to prove you're the owner of the work. I have had to quarrel with one big seller here on NL who was also in the habit.

I have a zero tolerance policy to people who copy the work of others, be it text, posts or even photos and not acknowledge the creative mind that made it come to fruition. I spend weeks researching stuff that I write on and I do it from scratch. When I can't find info, I give credit, like the passage on fast charge that was gotten from XDA Developers.

I'll attach a screenshot on how the USA will soon overtake Nigeria as my number 1 audience. Want to know why? Because they respect an individual's copyright.

One human being lifted my article off NL here, removed the link underneath and posted it on Facebook. I accosted him about it and he took offence looking for respect.

Mr Ebenezer, I don't care your age. If you claim to be educated then you should act and do the appropriate thing. First off, you don't follow me on NL or Facebook so even if you don't, it doesn't matter.

Secondly, people follow quality and well researched content, not sentiments about old age. The article you plagiarized was sourced from Xiaomi and Canalys and I gave them due recognition. That's how educated people act.

The next time you try to PM me or call me, I will serve you with court papers for harassment and infringement of personal copyright.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 8:01am On Jul 18, 2021
aze:
Check some of your stuff might be showing on some west african blogs not just those mentioned in your writeup

The black man and intellectual laziness sha

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Randerl: 8:05am On Jul 18, 2021
aze:

Eg Ghana web users. Dem no dey shame at all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 8:06am On Jul 18, 2021
Randerl:

Na wa.
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 8:37am On Jul 18, 2021
Randerl:

Personally I don't really mind if my work is copied or not, they should just give credit. That's it's done all over the world.

But imagine what the man was telling me yesterday, I quote "is this how you want people to follow you, no one will follow you?"

Says someone that doesn't even follow me. Because here, many people do not want you to speak up at all even when they're in the wrong. Them go bring age card or start looking for respect.

I have met my posts on foreign forums, at the bottom even without the link sef, you go see something like "source: inquisitive universe".

But for here, we are too lazy mentally to do anything.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Randerl: 8:42am On Jul 18, 2021
atheistandproud:

Personally I don't really mind if my work is copied or not, they should just give credit. That's it's done all over the world.

But imagine what the man was telling me yesterday, I quote "is this how you want people to follow you, no one will follow you?"

Says someone that doesn't even follow me. Because here, many people do not want you to speak up at all even when they're in the wrong. Them go bring age card or start looking for respect.

I have met my posts on foreign forums, at the bottom even without the link sef, you go see something like "source: inquisitive universe".

me l no get dat energy to dey drag issues. Just report am to the right authority on the issues. lf possible make dem deregister the useless blog and blacklist his url as a scammers haven for plagiarism.

On this NL platform l respect few NL original content creators/writers of which @ZesusHVWritter and you are among.

The first time l saw @ZesusHVWritter device reviews was some years back. Comprehensive review, original content that provides a potential users with enough information to make that informed decision to BUY or Not. Those are the types of reviews we want to see here but many useless-for-nothing bloggers will be prowling and CopyPasting ones Sweat on thier hopeless blogs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Randerl: 8:56am On Jul 18, 2021
atheistandproud:

The black man and intellectual laziness sha

If possible post their links on your blog by listing the names of the useless thieves. Then lets see what we can do about them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 9:09am On Jul 18, 2021
Randerl:

If possible post their links on your blog by listing the names of the useless thieves. Then lets see what we can do about them.

In future, I just might.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by KrazyDave16(m): 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2021
Naija my country!

The only thing them half-baked bloggers know is clickbait aka la click la bend grin and copy-paste.
Creative writing they don't have

The analytics you posted shows Google telling it's readers where they got their source.
Android authority, GSMArena, notebookchecks, 9to5google and other foreign blogs will post their sources (even if it were to be from some obscure, unpopular site)
But here, one guy/lady who is using wordpress free hosting service or managed to spend money (mostly on ads, little to nothing on improving the site) will be acting like you should be happy to get any content.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by KrazyDave16(m): 12:51pm On Jul 18, 2021
hakeem4:
I thought google has a way of removing copyrighted post from blogs?

Cause on YouTube they can remove if the owner wants it to be removed
If the user applied for adsense they'll served a warning or blacklist them if they are repeat offenders.

If they don't, their sites won't appear in their search engine no matter the amount of SEO done on it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Hotspotbro(m): 1:23pm On Jul 18, 2021
Same way olodos used to plagiarize essays from past questions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Hotspotbro(m): 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2021
Same way olodos used to plagiarize essays from past questions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Hotspotbro(m): 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2021
KrazyDave16:
Naija my country!

The only thing them half-baked bloggers know is clickbait aka la click la bend grin and copy-paste.
Creative writing they don't have

The analytics you posted shows Google telling it's readers where they got their source.
Android authority, GSMArena, notebookchecks, 9to5google and other foreign blogs will post their sources (even if it were to be from some obscure, unpopular site)
But here, one guy/lady who is using wordpress free hosting service or managed to spend money (mostly on ads, little to nothing on improving the site) will be acting like you should be happy to get any content.
that's why i stopped reading Opera mini news.Fake news and paid people to comment.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by hakeem4(m): 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2021
KrazyDave16:

If the user applied for adsense they'll served a warning or blacklist them if they are repeat offenders.

If they don't, their sites won't appear in their search engine no matter the amount of SEO done on it.
thank you for this information
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Eyanbahose: 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2021
The copyright issue in Nigeria is much abeg.
Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by thepoweruser(m): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2021
atheistandproud:

I can relate with bolded.

Never argue with African adults.

Especially YOUR PARENTS.

Trust me, I've been burned too much for this.

If they sense you talking like you know more about something than you do, they start being defensive and bring up stuff like, 'I have more experience' and before you know it, omo na insult everywhere.

Na so one Old Man come dey tell me sey make I nor follow one of my Ibo peeps dey hang out. He was like, 'You don't know anything. I am older and wiser than you'. Seriously, sir; do you have to remind me?

Good listeners are hard to find in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by Mohbola(f): 2:33pm On Jul 18, 2021
It can be very annoying and they will not even credit the original owner

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by KrazyDave16(m): 4:02pm On Jul 18, 2021
Hotspotbro:
that's why i stopped reading Opera mini news.Fake news and paid people to comment.
The pay for the amount of misinformation is far too low but majority will rush at anything that promises money, even if it's 1k per week plus that Opera news I don't take it as a serious news site.
The amount of copy-paste and clickbait there is too much.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by ZesusHVWritter(m): 3:20pm On Jul 19, 2021
Randerl:

me l no get dat energy to dey drag issues. Just report am to the right authority on the issues. lf possible make dem deregister the useless blog and blacklist his url as a scammers haven for plagiarism.

On this NL platform l respect few NL original content creators/writers of which @ZesusHVWritter and you are among.

The first time l saw @ZesusHVWritter device reviews was some years back. Comprehensive review, original content that provides a potential users with enough information to make that informed decision to BUY or Not. Those are the types of reviews we want to see here but many useless-for-nothing bloggers will be prowling and CopyPasting ones Sweat on thier hopeless blogs.

Thank you dear sir. �

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by ZesusHVWritter(m): 3:32pm On Jul 19, 2021
On the topic, I think it's poor exacting of the rule of law in this part of the world that has allowed so many people undermine others hardwork for personal gains.

I know how this system works, for this reason, I have reserved my work until I leave Nigeria to file for an intellectual property rights for a work I am currently building.

There are no upright persons or lawbreakers, there are people who feel if they don't get punish, they have done nothing wrong.

Sadly this mindset is deeply rooted in the minds of a lot of Nigerians.

Same people who won't support your work with a single retweet or like, will be the first to sell your work short or undervalue it just so they can make profit for themselves, without considering you the original author.

I can only imagine your pain Atheistandproud, you do have a capable mind, it's sad your work is being dwarfed by ingrates.

I did feature one of your work on 'ram' on our blog, and I was happy to insert your link, not because I knew you, but because everyone deserves credit for their work.

Hopefully all of us bloggers and content creators can help make the Internet space worth using by doing better.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Poor Attitudes In Relation To Copyrights by atheistandproud(m): 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2021
ZesusHVWritter:
On the topic, I think it's poor exacting of the rule of law in this part of the world that has allowed so many people undermine others hardwork for personal gains.

I know how this system works, for this reason, I have reserved my work until I leave Nigeria to file for an intellectual property rights for a work I am currently building.

There are no upright persons or lawbreakers, there are people who feel if they don't get punish, they have done nothing wrong.

Sadly this mindset is deeply rooted in the minds of a lot of Nigerians.

Same people who won't support your work with a single retweet or like, will be the first to sell your work short or undervalue it just so they can make profit for themselves, without considering you the original author.

I can only imagine your pain Atheistandproud, you do have a capable mind, it's sad your work is being dwarfed by ingrates.

I did feature one of your work on 'ram' on our blog, and I was happy to insert your link, not because I knew you, but because everyone deserves credit for their work.

Hopefully all of us bloggers and content creators can help make the Internet space worth using by doing better.

In a nutshell, you've said it all.

I saw the mention. Thank you.

In this our corner of the world, either by accident or by design, it is lawless.

It was shocking when person A stole person's B photo from a WhatsApp group and came to NL to pass it off as his. It's a bloody pic.

There's really no competition. Do your bit and leave the rest of the algorithm. But this part of the world we wan press each other down in order to climb up.

But our mindsets are just simply messed up. Overly competitive. I calmly corrected someone about overexposure on their YT video here. Someone said, that was so nice. I don't understand, everyone is now so toxic that being nice is strange.

If Nigerians made it to YouTube first, they wouldn't make tutorials for others to get up to their level. I'm telling you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Huawei Nova 7i / Iphone 14 Thread / Need an iPhone 12 pro max logicboard Icloud free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.