Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires (14767 Views)

APC Reconstructing Lagos Guber Election As "War" Between Igbo & Yoruba - Soyombo / Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review / American Lady Asked Difference Between Igbo & Yoruba- See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by anungangampu: 9:22am On Jul 19, 2021
tandy2013:
I disagree 100% A northern will steal money and share amongst close family or fellow rich class but a rich Igbo man will go to village pick up a boy from a poor family and establish the boy that is the reason why you see evenly distributed wealth in Igboland
gbam

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 9:24am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

Are you telling me igbo traders do well because of their primary education? No my friend it's an inbuilt thing in the igbo, the igbo apprenticeship is like a practical business training school an igbo who passed through apprenticeship will do better than most business graduates who studied theory in class

Hausas too have the apprenticeship system in kano. The kano man started trading with the Arabs by land before the igbo trade begun when Europeans arrived. So again it's the education that makes the difference not trading. Don't forget Dantata became the richest man in West Africa via trading

The graduate eventually becomes the CBN gov or Minister of finance who writes policies that make or break the trader. You can't ever discount education
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Bonjovi13: 9:34am On Jul 19, 2021
rosinkkit:
90% of igbo millionaires and billionaires are EXTREMELY selfish. THEIR OWN FAMILIES SUFFER, apart from the wife and kids.

They rarely do anything for their own communities apart from maybe distribute rice and provisions to the villagers at christmas.

You will see an Igbo man worth several millions of dollars. Some of his brothers/cousins etc will still be hustling on the streets, some even hawking.

You never see that with northerners. Once one of them is rich, and you see the brothers, you won't even know the one that is the big shot, because they're all solid.

When they travel to Dubai, you'll see up to 20 of them at the airport, from Alhaji to his brothers, sisters, mum, dad, cousins, drivers, hairdressers, house helps etc.

An Igbo man, if he travels with anyone, na him wife and maybe his kids. Finish.

More often than not, he just sneaks out alone.

I think the refusal of wealthy Igbos to share their wealth among their relatives and close kinsmen is a reason for the continued marginalisation of Igbos in Nigeria. Political influence requires that you have a large base of well-to-do elite. When you restrict that elite to a tiny club of monied men, your base is weakened, and easy to manipulate. It is very easy for others to take advantage of your group.

If your prognosis is true how come Nigeria has the highest number of poor and indigent people in the north compared to the South east particularly.

Can you also explain how the Ibos overtook the north economically when every single one of their forebears were given 20£ to start their lives after the civil war. The northern elites took over billions of dollars of the combined wealth of the Ibos and the policy of nationalization that saw the northern elites take over the industries and assets of even the foreign companies. How come they are mostly poor if they are so generous and spread their wealth like you posited?

The only area in your write up that I agree with you is the fact that the Ibos will never give their fellow man free money. The Ibos hate laziness and rewards industry. They believe that a man should be hardworking and should fend for himself.
I hope you know that the "nwa boy" or ibo apprentiship model is a course of study in no less a university than Harvard.
That model has transferred sustainable wealth to generations of ibo families.

Lastly any money you dont work for will fizzle out. The northerners have benefited tremendously from the national wealth of Nigeria. However there is a trend common to the notherners. Today they are swimming in money tommorrow as soon as their access to the national coffers is gone, they are broke and penniless. They begin to sell their assets in order to keep up their opulent lifestyle.
The ibos believe in building a structure, one brick and mortar at a time. Thats sustainable wealth.
I will have you know that there are far more silent and unpopular billionaires in the south east than the whole of the north combined. They face their business and adapt to changing policies. Igbo Amaka

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 9:36am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

Hausas too have the apprenticeship system in kano. The kano man started trading with the Arabs by land before the igbo trade begun when Europeans arrived. So again it's the education that makes the difference not trading. Don't forget Dantata became the richest man in West Africa via trading

Hausa's have the apprenticeship system, Yorubas have it too plus yorubas are educated, but the igbo apprenticeship system beat the rest plus igbos are naturally gifted in trade, igbos even without education succeed even in pre colonial Era , one of the most successful igbo trader during pre colonial era was king ja ja of opobo the first African slave to make money from trade to buy himself out of slavery was an igbo man Olaudah Equiano

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 9:46am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

Hausa's have the apprenticeship system, Yorubas have it too plus yorubas are educated, but the igbo apprenticeship system beat the rest plus igbos are naturally gifted in trade, igbos even without education succeed even in pre colonial Era , one of the most successful igbo trader during pre colonial era was king ja ja of opobo the first African slave to make money from trade to buy himself out of slavery was an igbo man Olaudah Equiano

You're missing the point. It's why is poverty prevalent in the North rather than the south. It's education, simple.

Not trading. You no get hausa traders all around you in the abbattoires, with small shops etc? No be education empower Equiano to know his rights?
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 9:57am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

You're missing the point. It's why is poverty prevalent in the North rather than the south. It's education, simple.

Not trading. You no get hausa traders all around you in the abbattoires, with small shops etc? No be education empower Equiano to know his rights?

You are the one missing the point, the success of an average igbo man comes from the apprenticeship system of the igbos, I don't understand why you are dragging this thing, it's not about education
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by FatherCHRISTMAS: 10:05am On Jul 19, 2021
This is the most tribalistic comment I HV seen
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 10:08am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

You are the one missing the point, the success of an average igbo man comes from the apprenticeship system of the igbos, I don't understand why you are dragging this thing, it's not about education

Lol. The minimum education he still allows himself to get in primary school gives him an edge over the almajiri boy who did not attend any arithmetic or English class in his life
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by SlayerForever: 10:11am On Jul 19, 2021
rosinkkit:

Dumbo. This is not about the traditional Igbo custom you are referring to where some spare parts shop owner trains an underling and gives him some money after the 5 year apprenticeship.

This is an entirely different level of wealth transfer we are referring to here.

Wealth transfer. Come here make I flog you

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by matrixmuzi: 10:13am On Jul 19, 2021
Na Ibo matter to kill of una here. The truth is no tribe in Nigeria can equal that if an ibo man in hustling for money. If u think u can change that u will wait till eternity . Poverty mentality will kill all of u if u don’t leave an ibo man alone. Bunch of half apes

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by aribisala0(m): 10:16am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

So the average Igbo man is a trader?

Do you have data to prove this?

Are there no Igbo doctors lawyers etc?

what evidence is there that traders are in the majority?
If not how do we conclude that the "average" Igbo man is a trader?

Are there no artisans? Is the artisan apprenticeship of the Igbos the same as that of traders?
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 10:37am On Jul 19, 2021
aribisala0:
So the average Igbo man is a trader?

Do you have data to prove this?

Are there no Igbo doctors lawyers etc?

what evidence is there that traders are in the majority?
If not how do we conclude that the "average" Igbo man is a trader?

Are there no artisans? Is the artisan apprenticeship of the Igbos the same as that of traders?

Move around Nigeria, in every city every town every community you will find igbos in numbers 7 out of every 10 igbos you meet outside igbobland are into business, you don't need data to notice this
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 10:46am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

Lol. The minimum education he still allows himself to get in primary school gives him an edge over the almajiri boy who did not attend any arithmetic or English class in his life
I grew up in Jos plateau state, I will say you are overemphasizing on this almajeri thing, not every northern child pass through the almajeri system, not every northern child goes to Islamic schools, I will say just a few percentage of northern underprivileged kids pass through this system, a northern child from a middle class family don't pass through them
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 10:49am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

I grew up in Jos plateau state, I will say you are overemphasizing on this almajeri thing, not every northern child pass through the almajeri system, not every northern child goes to Islamic schools, I will say just a few percentage of northern underprivileged kids pass through this system, a northern child from a middle class family don't pass through them

Now compare poverty rates of Jos, Plateau State and the core North and you'll get my point

Jos is more educated, jos has less poverty than the core north
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by aribisala0(m): 10:58am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

Move around Nigeria, in every city every town every community you will find igbos in numbers 7 out of every 10 igbos you meet outside igbobland are into business, you don't need data to notice this
Before I continue let me assure you that I come in peace grin
Actually you do need data
Let us assume that what you say is true which I do not admit
Is that the case in the SE . In Imo state? In Ebonyi state?
The simple truth is that 7 out 10 has no basis
If everybody in Imo state is a trader who is the buyer?
Igbos are in Ogun state farming , in Lagos riding Okada, acting as clearing and forwarding agents as mechanics, tailors lawyers, engineers and so on .
You are now conflating "business" with "trading" which was where we started.

They are not the same thing
Lawyers, doctors, accountants Taxi drivers, bus drivers are all business people if they are self employed.
So can we stick to "trading" as it relates to "apprenticeship"

Not every trader has apprentices. Some are family business e.g frying dodo, yam akara plantain

By a similar token many Hausa men in the south are traders too whether it is Forex, cigarettes, Suya, gold, etc

My point is let us avoid lazy stereotypes and assertions and speak with facts and figures

Anyone can wake up and say 7 in 10 this 9 in 10 that . It has no basis and no meaning

The "evidence" you are citing suggests what researchers call "Confirmation Bias"
= the tendency to see things that confirm your views and disregard those that do not
That is why data is important.

In my experience most are not traders. I am not saying that is how absolute reality is just that individual observation is not necessarily reality

Our people say

That which is facing us is backing another person

Often the way you see yourself is very different from how people see you
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:01am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

Now compare poverty rates of Jos, Plateau State and the core North and you'll get my point

Jos is more educated, jos has less poverty than the core north
No there is less poverty in core northern states than in plateau, the corruption in Nigeria favoured the northerners well, thousands of thousands of core northerners have their names in the civil services payroll but they don't work they receive salaries every month it happens all over the core northern states , there are some core northerners living in Jos that are on a civil service payroll in their States of origin like Kano, sokoto Katsina etc
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:14am On Jul 19, 2021
aribisala0:
Before I continue let me assure you that I come in peace grin
Actually you do need data
Let us assume that what you say is true which I do not admit
[s]Is that the case in the SE . In Imo state? In Ebonyi state?[/s]
The simple truth is that 7 out 10 has no basis
If everybody in Imo state is a trader who is the buyer?
Igbos are in Ogun state farming , in Lagos riding Okada, acting as clearing and forwarding agents as mechanics, tailors lawyers, engineers and so on .
You are now conflating "business" with "trading" which was where we started.

They are not the same thing
Lawyers, doctors, accountants Taxi drivers, bus drivers are all business people if they are self employed.
So can we stick to "trading" as it relates to "apprenticeship"

Not every trader has apprentices. Some are family business e.g frying dodo, yam akara plantain

By a similar token many Hausa men in the south are traders too whether it is Forex, cigarettes, Suya, gold, etc

My point is let us avoid lazy stereotypes and assertions and speak with facts and figures

Anyone can wake up and say 7 in 10 this 9 in 10 that . It has no basis and no meaning

The "evidence" you are citing suggests what researchers call "Confirmation Bias"
= the tendency to see things that confirm your views and disregard those that do not
That is why data is important.

In my experience most are not traders. I am not saying that is how absolute reality is just that individual observation is not necessarily reality

Our people say

That which is facing us is backing another person

Often the way you see yourself is very different from how people see you
Make your comment short next time,

I clearly pointed out igbos living outside igbobland

And I didn't start this argument with you you came in the middle and picked one out of my many comments to argue over, the argument is about education and the igbo apprenticeship system which I still stand to say the success of the igbos came majorly from the igbo apprenticeship system
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by aribisala0(m): 11:19am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

Make your comment short next time,

I clearly pointed out igbos living outside igbobland

And I didn't start this argument with you you came in the middle and picked one out of my many comments to argue over, the argument is about education and the igbo apprenticeship system which I still stand to say the success of the igbos came majorly from the igbo apprenticeship system
There is no argument
I have said everything I need to say using data I paid for
If you do not like the length of my response I have no apology for that. My comment is for the consumption of the Forum
The point at which I came in it was not refferring to those living outside.
That is not true
Let us agree to disagree.
I do not think the apprenticeship system is responsible for any "sucess" . I also do not believe any group in Nigeria is successful
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 11:27am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

No there is less poverty in core northern states than in plateau, the corruption in Nigeria favoured the northerners well, thousands of thousands of core northerners have their names in the civil services payroll but they don't work they receive salaries every month it happens all over the core northern states , there are some core northerners living in Jos that are on a civil service payroll in their States of origin like Kano, sokoto Katsina etc

I do statistics not assumptions. Let me put up some tables for you to see.

The most educated state in the West is Lagos
The most educated state in the East is Anambra
The most educated state in the North is Kaduna
The most educated state in the middle belt is Kogi

Now if you look at the table, the most educated states have the least poverty in their region. Simple

Education correlates directly with poverty reduction. As you can see, educated plateau is doing better than most northern states.

Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by tofek4real: 11:28am On Jul 19, 2021
rosinkkit:
A typical northern millionaire believes his brothers should ALSO be millionaires.

A typical Igbo millionaire believes his brothers should NOT be millionaires because that challenges his status as ''onye isi'' (the top dog) whom everyone has to approach for help.

So when he ''helps'' his brothers, he basically gives them just enough to make a decent living, but definitely not enough to place them on HIS level of wealth.

There is always a clear boundary and ceiling, as to how rich he can help you get. It must never be anywhere close to his level.

That is the typical Igbo millionaire's mentality, and it's pretty sad.
Very true bro
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:30am On Jul 19, 2021
aribisala0:
There is no argument
I have said everything I need to say using data I paid for
If you do not like the length of my response I have no apology for that. My comment is for the consumption of the Forum
The point at which I came in it was not refferring to those living outside.
That is not true
Let us agree to disagree.
I[b] do not think the apprenticeship system is responsible for any "sucess" . I also do not believe any group in Nigeria is successful[/b]
We igbos consider what we have achieved so far a success story cause in 1970 we were the poorest tribe in Nigeria if not the entire Africa cause we lost everything to biafra war and was given only 20 pounds, so if today a good percentage of igbos can boast of millions or perhaps billions in their account that's a success story
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:37am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

I do statistics not assumptions. Let me put up some tables for you to see.

The most educated state in the West is Lagos
The most educated state in the East is Anambra
The most educated state in the North is Kaduna
The most educated state in the middle belt is Kogi

Now if you look at the table, the most educated states have the least poverty in their region. Simple

Education correlates directly with poverty reduction
There is a fault in Nigerian statistics it's not different from assumptions this statistics are made in the comfort of offices not on facts on ground, FG are paying millions of ghost workers up north
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by aribisala0(m): 11:37am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

We igbos consider what we have achieved so far a success story cause in 1970 we were the poorest tribe in Nigeria if not the entire Africa cause we lost everything to biafra war and was given only 20 pounds, so if today a good percentage of igbos can boast of millions or perhaps billions in their account that's a success story

No one can deny you the right to tell your own story in a way that makes you feel good about yourselves.
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:38am On Jul 19, 2021
aribisala0:

No one can deny you the right to tell your own story in a way that makes you feel good about yourselves.
Then why are you arguing over it?
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 11:40am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

There is a fault in Nigerian statistics it's not different from assumptions this statistics are made in the comfort of offices not on facts on ground, FG are paying millions of ghost workers up north

Lol. I showed you evidence that your premise is faulty, now you say that all formal Nigerian statistics are wrong
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Eastcoastboy(m): 11:45am On Jul 19, 2021
rosinkkit:
A typical northern millionaire believes his brothers should ALSO be millionaires.

A typical Igbo millionaire believes his brothers should NOT be millionaires because that challenges his status as ''onye isi'' (the top dog) whom everyone has to approach for help.

So when he ''helps'' his brothers, he basically gives them just enough to make a decent living, but definitely not enough to place them on HIS level of wealth.

There is always a clear boundary and ceiling, as to how rich he can help you get. It must never be anywhere close to his level.

That is the typical Igbo millionaire's mentality, and it's pretty sad.

No that's what the northerners do, they only empower their family, extended family, inlaws nd whoever is related to them in some way then give to others what would be enough for the time being so they keep coming back. While the woman man empowers others but you go really know say person empower you because you go work die! It will look like they're giving you life. And they kind of make sure you don't pass them. You know that kind of help when you know the person helping you is doing it with an ulterior motive hidden somewhere that's just it. But help is help. Las las.
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by jimyjames(m): 11:47am On Jul 19, 2021
Yankee101:

Lol. I showed you evidence that your premise is faulty, now you say that all formal Nigerian statistics are wrong
I said there is a fault in Nigerian statistics they don't follow things up to know the true situation on ground they assume as well, even the population of Nigeria is not accurate not all Nigerians were counted during the census and they keep adding numbers to it not knowing how many babies are born yearly and how many people die yearly
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by aribisala0(m): 11:49am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

Then why are you arguing over it?
You just said something new about the civil war twenty pounds etc . and I said you have a right to tell that story f it makes you feel good
That has nothing to do with what you have been saying previously. That is a new narrative. I do not want to get into civil war , twenty pounds etc

If an argument exists it is in your own mind
The fact that you have a right to tell a story does not mean others don't too
Everyone has a right to tell stories
We remember differently

You have said so many things

I cannot agree with everything you say

That apprenticeship is responsible for Igbo success is your opinion personally are you a spokesperson for all Igbo? That is a different matter and in my experience is not borne out by any evidence
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Educationalserv: 11:51am On Jul 19, 2021
poiZon:

How many dangotes brothers and sisters are billionaires?
all of them. The poorest in that family can be 10 time richer than obi cubana .
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Yankee101: 11:52am On Jul 19, 2021
jimyjames:

I said there is a fault in Nigerian statistics they don't follow things up to know the true situation on ground they assume as well, even the population of Nigeria is not accurate not all Nigerians were counted during the census and they keep adding numbers to it not knowing how many babies are born yearly and how many people die yearly

These statistics are real. They are funded internationally, in some cases, with oversight
Re: The Difference Between Igbo Millionaires And Northern Millionaires by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 19, 2021
rosinkkit:
90% of igbo millionaires and billionaires are EXTREMELY selfish. THEIR OWN FAMILIES SUFFER, apart from the wife and kids.

They rarely do anything for their own communities apart from maybe distribute rice and provisions to the villagers at christmas.

You will see an Igbo man worth several millions of dollars. Some of his brothers/cousins etc will still be hustling on the streets, some even hawking.

You never see that with northerners. Once one of them is rich, and you see the brothers, you won't even know the one that is the big shot, because they're all solid.

When they travel to Dubai, you'll see up to 20 of them at the airport, from Alhaji to his brothers, sisters, mum, dad, cousins, drivers, hairdressers, house helps etc.

An Igbo man, if he travels with anyone, na him wife and maybe his kids. Finish.

More often than not, he just sneaks out alone.

I think the refusal of wealthy Igbos to share their wealth among their relatives and close kinsmen is a reason for the continued marginalisation of Igbos in Nigeria. Political influence requires that you have a large base of well-to-do elite. When you restrict that elite to a tiny club of monied men, your base is weakened, and easy to manipulate. It is very easy for others to take advantage of your group.

You simply opened a thread to empty ur vacuous brain,abi ur maggot brain ,if at all you have any brain.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

PDP: Wike, Ayu In Cold War / Atiku Meets EU Ambassadors In Abuja (photos) / Buhari, Osinbajo To Spend ₦11.92 Billion On Food, Foreign Trips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.