Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship (8584 Views)

Switzerland Gives Nigeria Conditions For Returning $321m Abacha Loot / Unseen Photo Of Captain And Crew On Board Nigerian Warship NNS Thunder F90 / Photos Of Norwegian Warship Allegedly Bought By Tompolo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 12, 2011
New York - Nigeria will on Friday receive a refurbished U.S. warship ‘CHASE’ from the U.S. Guard base in San Diego, California, CHASE after being commissioned in 1968, participated in Operation Market Time during the Vietnam War.

“From December 1969 to May 1970, under Commander, Task Force 115, CGC CHASE participated in more than 12 gunfire support missions in the Vietnam War,” a history of CHASE posted on the USCGC website says.

In 1998, CHASE, while on a patrol in the Persian Gulf, diverted four vessels in violation of UN sanctions against Iraq, interdicted 1,527,740 gallons of fuel oil and conducted 86 gunnery exercises.

In 1999, CHASE seized seven metric tons of cocaine, then the second largest cocaine bust in Coast Guard history.

Also on the 1999 patrol, CHASE was also the first U.S. military ship to pull into Corinto, Nicaragua, in more than 30 years.

The vessel also participated in several missions for the U.S. to enforce maritime laws and treaties, fisheries conservation, marine pollution response, defence readiness, search and rescue.

The Deputy Defence Adviser at the Nigeria Embassy, Washington D.C., Navy Capt. Adefemi Kayode, said that ship would sail to Nigeria in July and its Nigerian crew would undergo further training from May 16.

He said 21 Nigerian engineers were undergoing training on a similar sister ship.

Kayode defended the age of the cutter and its sea-worthiness, saying “it is all about the culture of maintenance; if you have a ship of 1960 that is well maintained, there is no problem.”

The defence adviser recalled that in 2003, the Nigerian Navy got four vessels from the U.S. Coast Guard which it used for patrol in the Niger Delta region.

It was learnt that though the ship received from the U.S. government is free, the Nigeria Navy would bear the cost of installing communication equipment in it and other refurbishment costs, but such costs were not disclosed.

The ship is designed as a “high endurance” cutter with a crossing range of 9,600 miles at 20 knots.

It has an 80-foot flight deck, is capable of handling navy helicopters and can undertake extended patrol missions.

Its capabilities are enhanced by advanced air search and surface search radars, including the AN/SPS-73 digital surface radar system that incorporates a state-of-the-art computerised collision avoidance system.

The 378-foot cutter CGC CHASE would be received by Prof. Ade Adefuye, the Nigerian Ambassador to the U.S., at a ceremony at Alameda Coast Guard Base, California, a media advisory note from the Nigerian Embassy in Washington D.C. said.

The officials of the Ministry of Defence and the Nigerian Navy are billed to attend the ceremony.

The CGC CHASE had been in the service of the U.S. Coast Guard (USCGC) since 1968 until its decommissioning on March 29, 2011.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/u-s-gives-nigeria-refurbished-warship/
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Bawss1(m): 4:38pm On May 12, 2011
Yay!
cheesy
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 12, 2011
some top navy officers would have gotten enough dollars for the refurbished warship.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 12, 2011
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Beaf: 4:58pm On May 12, 2011
chuks01:

some top navy officers would have gotten enough dollars for the refurbished warship.

Can someone please post a link to the definition of "gift?" chuks01 doesn't seem to quite grasp the meaning! grin
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by buzugee(m): 5:01pm On May 12, 2011
dumping
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Rhino5dm: 5:05pm On May 12, 2011
This should better than our NNS Aradu, a french made frigate of 80's.
Thank you US! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Beaf: 5:06pm On May 12, 2011
^
It is not better than Aradu, and if I recall rightly, Aradu is from Germany.

@topic
Nice one from the US.
I hope they'll leave the electronics on it, tho.

Anyways, this is the boat. We go pack di tin for Warri, no threat! cool

Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Musiwa13: 5:06pm On May 12, 2011
I informed the USA army of the danger , you face in satellite pictures. some people in the united nation also knows.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Beaf: 5:09pm On May 12, 2011
Musiwa,:

I informed the USA army of the danger , you face in satellite pictures. some people in the united nation also knows.

shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Really? So why are you not wearing an orange uniform in guantanamo, frying guguru for bin ladens boys?
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by gidson12(m): 5:30pm On May 12, 2011
is that a warship undecided
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by 2mch(m): 5:34pm On May 12, 2011
When super powers (China, USA e.t.c) of their continents are rolling out 2020 war ships, Nigerian's are excited about 1968 warship that looks like it needs to be melted down and used for dustbin. Ridiculous. Warship or Coast guard boat.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Rhino5dm: 5:42pm On May 12, 2011
My bad! Considering the poor culture of Nigerians i think it should be more better shape than NNS Aradu. (In the past NNS was gounded twice and it is no better condition )

Though still checking it's weapon capabilities.

Beaf:

^
It is not better than Aradu, and if I recall rightly, Aradu is from Germany.

@topic
Nice one from the US.
I hope they'll leave the electronics on it, tho.

Anyways, this is the boat. We go pack di tin for Warri, no threat! cool

Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Musiwa13: 5:46pm On May 12, 2011
the
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Mynd44: 5:54pm On May 12, 2011
It probably cost a lot of money to sink that pile of junk so they decided to dump it on you. And that is not a war ship it is a coast guard boat
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by homerac7: 7:31pm On May 12, 2011
Ds boat and Aradu r not in same class. Ds is a cutter while Aradu is a frigate. Just like saying "flying eagle" and "super eagle". And again, it will normally b stripped down to d basics at handingover. NN will hav to refit it to suit navy combat purposes. Same ws done to d earloer ones handed over, d refitting ws done here at d Lagos naval dockyard.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 12, 2011
Mynd_44:

It probably cost a lot of money to sink that pile of junk so they decided to dump it on you. And that is not a war ship it is a coast guard boat

You ppl will not kill me with laffter grin grin grin
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by playmode(m): 8:19pm On May 12, 2011
*sigh* see the way Beaf is jumping up and down like a circus monkey because the country he idolizes has just dashed Niegria a kabukabu ship.Dude 1968 warship  shocked for real.If i be Jonathan i go reject that patrol boat and return it to sender  grin .It is actually an insult for them to give us such an old ship.Is that all we are worth to the USA a freaking rusty 1968 warship? If the picture that was posted is the picture of the vessel then i sorry sorry o,I sorry for Nigeria ,sorry o ,sorry for Africa  grin

Ordinary christmas "banger" go sink that pangolo!  grin that is if it is not already leaking. Nigeria will enter the guiness book of records to be the first country dumb enough to accept an Okirika ship  undecided

Nigeria: America's Dustbin .

What next ? Second hand Atom bombs? grin
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by idnole4(m): 8:41pm On May 12, 2011
Ordinary christmas "banger" go sink that pangolo! that is if it is not already leaking.

wu even accept that tin frm us self? i cant stop laughing just like ileke-idi. i need paracetamol,
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Mariory(m): 8:42pm On May 12, 2011
So many clowns on nairaland. If you think the naval vessel is useless just because it was commissioned in 1968, grab your ak47, hop into your canoe/speed boat, and go fight it head on.

M.o.r.o.n.s with zero grasp on reality.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by ektbear: 8:50pm On May 12, 2011
Not bad.

For those dissing it because of its age. . . well, if we had functioning industry in this country, we could use this ship to teach ourselves how to build ships somewhat-modern ships ourselves.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by homerac7: 8:55pm On May 12, 2011
Too many ignorants on loose on nairaland. Go check d commisioning dates of d air craft carriers of India and Brazil then come back and tell me what age has got to do wt their wellbeings. US Enterprise led d war against Afghanistan and Iraq, how old/new is it? Many other countries get such military aids frm d US and Nigeria's is no exceptional. Even China gets such frm Russia.

BTW, how r d brand new Chengdu fighter planed frn China doing?
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by jidody(m): 8:59pm On May 12, 2011
2mch:

When super powers (China, USA e.t.c) of their continents are rolling out 2020 war ships, Nigerian's are excited about 1968 warship that looks like it needs to be melted down and used for dustbin. Ridiculous. Warship or Coast guard boat.

Although it is called the Nigerian Navy, what we have in Nigeria is actually not more than an equivalent of the US coast guard. The vessel they have given us would serve our purpose very well and we would be able to maintain it. Thank you US.

Maybe some of you expect the US to have given us an aircraft carrier or a submarine.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by playmode(m): 9:04pm On May 12, 2011
Mariory:

So many clowns on nairaland. If you think the naval vessel is useless just because it was commissioned in 1968, grab your ak47, hop into your canoe/speed boat, and go fight it head on.

M.o.r.o.n.s with zero grasp on reality.

And which reality will that be? Can Nigeria fight a war with that relic? NO.Which country's Navy can that ship take on? So what is the point of the gift?

Can the USA dare dash South Africa,Egypt,Tunisia,Morocco or Algeria such an insulting gift? No .You know why? Because they respect those countries and its leaders.I can not say that much about dundee GEJ government.The USA has quite a large arsenal of ships even larger than the Uk and France combined,why did they not give us a 1995 ship? You  should be ashamed that your countries navy is accepting such a gift.It shows that the USA does not see our navy as a capable Navy.We are more like pets to the USA not equals and that is a very disturbing thought.

Now let me show what the best navy on the African continent looks like before you start talking out of your armpit.Nigeria is far far richer than SA ,so how come we don't have a functioning modern Navy? And how come we have to settle for scraps with all the funds we generate from the Oil industry? I do not see any reason why SA's Navy should be so advanced than ours,do you?

Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Musiwa13: 9:05pm On May 12, 2011
they are only telling Nigeria, you have a problem. I am telling you people the truth. You need to break up Nigeria.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by jidody(m): 9:13pm On May 12, 2011
playmode:

And which reality will that be sir? Can Nigeria fight a war with that relic? NO. So what is the point of the gift?

Can the USA dare dash South Africa such an insulting gift? No .You know why? Because they respect SA and its leader.I can not say that much about dundee GEJ.The USA had quite a large arsenal of ships,why did they not give us a 1990 ship? You  should be ashamed that your countries navy is accepting such a gift.It shows that the USA does not see our navy as a capable Navy.We are more like pets to the USA not equals and that is a very disturbing thought.

Now let me show what the best navy on the African continent looks like before you start talking out of your armpit.Nigeria is far far richer than SA ,so how come we don't have a functioning modern Navy? And how come we have to settle for scraps with all the funds we generate from the Oil industry? I do not see any reason why SA's Navy should be so advanced than ours,do you?

For the bolded. How many naval wars would the country be fighting in the near future. Do you know what it costs to acquire or maintain these vessels you have brandished. Do you know what our defence policy is?

The US has given us what would be useful for patrolling and protecting our maritime environment. Lets be grateful and move on.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by 2mch(m): 9:19pm On May 12, 2011
playmode:

And which reality will that be? Can Nigeria fight a war with that relic? NO.Which country's Navy can that ship take on? So what is the point of the gift?

Can the USA dare dash South Africa,Egypt,Tunisia,Morocco or Algeria such an insulting gift? No .You know why? Because they respect those countries and its leaders.I can not say that much about dundee GEJ government.The USA has quite a large arsenal of ships even larger than the Uk and France combined,why did they not give us a 1995 ship? You  should be ashamed that your countries navy is accepting such a gift.It shows that the USA does not see our navy as a capable Navy.We are more like pets to the USA not equals and that is a very disturbing thought.

You want to kill them with these pictures? If Nigeria with its lazy fleet attempt to enter a submarine, the submarine will sink, because it will be filled with too many inactive akpu or pounded yam eaters. They dont even know what a navy drill is, and are most probably a bigger threat than pirates. Nigerian's have come to expect the bare minimum for themselves. It is too ridiculous. Any okrika thing they see, you will see the way they will be jubilating. Never see come see attitude. Nigeria, sometimes i think should be called "Nig*ger Kingdom of no progress or pride"
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by violent(m): 9:21pm On May 12, 2011
Quite a lot of naive people on here!

The fact that it was labelled a warship does not necessarily translate to "fight, fight fight, fight" . . . . Why are people so shallow minded?

that asides, do people actually realize the political ramifications of rejecting a gift?. . .think you ediots!, think!
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by playmode(m): 9:22pm On May 12, 2011
jidody:

For the bolded. How many naval wars would the country be fighting in the near future. Do you know what it costs to acquire or maintain these vessels you have brandished. Do you know what our defence policy is?

The US has given us what would be useful for patrolling and protecting our maritime environment. Lets be grateful and move on.

Great ,we won't be fighting a war in near future so why did they GIVE US THE SHIP? Why can't the USA create factories in Nigeria and help create Jobs for Nigerians.Why can't Obama ask American businessmen to invest in Nigeria? Instead he send us a weapon of war which is not even up to scratch.Maybe you don't get my point here but this just unfair.

Do you think OBJ will accept such a gift.I hate OBJ but one thing i liked about him is his no nonsense stance.OBJ would have told Obama "No thanks,if you can give us something more modern ,we will pass".The USA has over 30,000 warships many of which they no longer use on a regular basis but are more modern than the scrap they have given us.

Do you know that is cost more to main an old vehicle than top maintain a new one.I believe the same applies to ships and warships.Even though it is refurbished it will cost us more to maintain ,service and run it as compared to a brand new ship which will come with a service plane from its manufacturer.

The gift practically does not makes sense.The Nigerian Navy can do without it ,in todays navy that ship can not even be used for training because its components and instrument are probably outdated.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by Mariory(m): 9:29pm On May 12, 2011
playmode:

Wow! Where do I start? How do I even start?

You have almost zero knowledge on African and world naval capabilities. Zero knowledge on military expenditures. Zero knowledge on Nigerian naval requirements. Zero knowledge on how the vessel is going to be deployed. And it appears zero knowledge on economics.

[img]http://shoryuken.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Facepalm.jpg[/img]
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by playmode(m): 9:31pm On May 12, 2011
violent:

Quite a lot of naive people on here!

The fact that it was labelled a warship does not necessarily translate to "fight, fight fight, fight" . . . . Why are people so shallow minded?

that asides, do people actually realize the political ramifications of rejecting a gift?. . .think you ediots!, think!

So the USA is GOD now that no one can refuse a gift from them.This is the servant boy mentality i hate about Nigerians.Why do we always idolize everything western.They tell to sit ,we sit ,they tell us to cough ,we cough.Yikes no wonder Africa is so backward.

When will we learn to grow balls like the Arab world who tells the west to stuff it? Have you ever asked your self why they is no black nation that is progressive in the world? Look at Liberia , Sierra leone e.t.c The westerners come cause havoc ,supply weapons and the dumb darkies will kill each other to kingdom come.The only thing black countries are good at is begging for handouts.We do not try to build our nation ourselves,we always want one western country to helps us financially or otherwise.

It is the same mentality that made IBB borrow money from IMF and sink our nation in to pit of sh*t it is now.

Ramifications my yansh ,so if the USA dashes us nuclear bombs ,we should also accept it with open arms? It is you who should think before you post.
Re: U.s. Gives Nigeria Refurbished 1968 Warship by playmode(m): 9:33pm On May 12, 2011
Mariory:

Wow! Where do I start? How do I even start?

You have almost zero knowledge on African and world naval capabilities. Zero knowledge on military expenditures. Zero knowledge on Nigerian naval requirements. Zero knowledge on how the vessel is going to be deployed. And it appears zero knowledge on economics.

[img]http://shoryuken.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Facepalm.jpg[/img]

Hmmm,i see you have run out of steam.At least you were smart enough to shut the hell up on time.Care to address the issue instead of facepalming yourself  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Strong Case For NOI World Bank Presidency / Will You Support The Return Of Barth Nnaji As Power Minister... / The True Story On PDP Deji Adeyanju And APC Segun Dada Bust Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.