Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. (25283 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by NobleSeed(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2021
cheesye belike say you seif like wahala ooh
5 years ago door net Where she won for see am ni.
sorepco:
Leave her? She needs to put his previous net back na!

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:56am On Jul 21, 2021
Leave 3000 and allow the problem to slide , 2 right can't make right... remember this can lead at something you will live to regret till the end of your life... I repeat 3000 is nothing give me your account let me give you that 3000 so you will allow problem to go it way, i dint want to read another nairalander story that touches heart.... unless you are heartbroken and envy she's leaving ur house to more better apartment
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by ashantitope: 11:10am On Jul 21, 2021
Let her repair it first and give her full 8 month that's all
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by bombim(m): 11:11am On Jul 21, 2021
As a landlord you don't have business with the door net.door net is tenant affair.
Refund her
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by rexsid(m): 11:12am On Jul 21, 2021
Some tenants sef dey overdo...
You've lived there for 5yrs... What is door net that you can't always get a new one... You changed the old one for your comfort sake... What is there in leaving this new one you put yourself...
I'm sure this tenant spoilt some stuffs inside that house, stained the walls, etc, did she replace them??no.. Just common door net...

Some landlords won't even refund you, they will rather tell you to look for who will be in the apartment and collect your money from the person...

If everybody dey claim en right for this life, wahala go dey...
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Oracleforce: 11:13am On Jul 21, 2021
LadyRosa:
Avoid trouble, pay her her dues. She was your tenant for 5 years, let it go!

No.trouble at all...if I were the landlord, I will deduct 10k...or she should replace my door net...that us why there should be an agreement between tenants and landlord before they move in...
She knows how to remove her door net but doesn't know how to replace my door net...
She don pack commot, make she start the wahala, I go charge her for willful destruction of my property...

Nonsense....why will. the op gives his house to all these single or widow ladies....they lack manners...to avoid trouble in your house avoid all these divorcees, widows, and single ladies they are a bunch of trouble...hardly can you find any responsible ones among them...
Any single lady that comes to my house, I always tell her to go back to her father's house to go and continue troubling them over there..
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Born2Breed(f): 11:13am On Jul 21, 2021
Refund whatever you owe her and let her go.

Also, get a good lawyer to prepare your rental agreement. Mine states that the refund is subject to a deduction.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by jeff1607(m): 11:20am On Jul 21, 2021
Tenants that leave wardrobes or personal effects in a house , will this type of house owner refund the outgoing occupant?

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Iliveforever(m): 11:24am On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:
Before this my tenant paid for the house, there was a complete door net in good condition. Therefore she has lived here for more than 5 years, during the course of those years, she renew the door net which later worn out. Now this year, she decided to park and rent a bigger room elsewhere. During her parking i wasn't at home, when i came back, i saw that she had remove the door net. I told her for removing the door net am going to deduct N5000 from the 8 month rent i need to refund to her. She starts ranting saying she spend N3000 to fix the door net, that i shouldn't deduct her money.

Guys, what do you think i should do?

Oga, if you truly want us to advice you “rightly “ then hear this out and carry it out.
Since your tenant pays house rent, there are some maintenances the landlord will have to do by himself. This like painting the house, constructing gutter to prevent erosion and the said net to be conducive for the tenant e.t.c

So even if she left the net there, they would be a probability the net won’t be conducive for the next tenant and you’ll still end up fixing a new net there.

If you’re wise, DO NOT DEDUCT HER MONEY.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by deavicky(m): 12:01pm On Jul 21, 2021
ford101:
so if it were to be the toilet sit that she changed, so she would still take it. Or if it were the door lock that she changed.
when u deal with people with poverty mentality, you don't have to bring urself to their level. That's why I said let go.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by darkstar6971(m): 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:
Before this my tenant paid for the house, there was a complete door net in good condition. Therefore she has lived here for more than 5 years, during the course of those years, she renew the door net which later worn out. Now this year, she decided to park and rent a bigger room elsewhere. During her parking i wasn't at home, when i came back, i saw that she had remove the door net. I told her for removing the door net am going to deduct N5000 from the 8 month rent i need to refund to her. She starts ranting saying she spend N3000 to fix the door net, that i shouldn't deduct her money.

Why she go remove? abeg deduct your money o she owes you no favour.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by EnlightenedUFO: 12:24pm On Jul 21, 2021
Promiseibritam:

You didn't gv her quick Notice, u didn't snt her parking

QUIT notice

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by EnlightenedUFO: 12:25pm On Jul 21, 2021
Galaxydon1:
tamper justice with mercy

TEMPER justice

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Ola17: 12:35pm On Jul 21, 2021
Donchieli:
The said wear and tear

Did it happen because of lack of usage or because of usage and careless of the tenant

I know that if a net is well maintained it doesn't wear out because you have not business with it

Is not like you sleep on it

A tenant can only be held liable if a case of deliberate or careless destruction of property can be established. Some apartments do come with home appliances like refrigerator, television, microwave oven etc. If any of those appliances gets spoilt as a result of ‘normal’ use, the landlord is responsible for fixing them and not the tenant. Not to talk of ordinary mosquito net that gets flaky overtime as a result of sunlight.

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Ola17: 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2021
youngmo001:

what about the old door net i put before?. It got torn out due to her excessive usage, she to renew the door net doesnt give her the right to pull it out. Or she should put the old door net back.

Seems you’re not happy that she left your property to a bigger apartment. She was your tenant for five good years for God’s sake. You came online to rant about her removing a mosquito net that she installed not that she was owing you any rent o.

Cut her some slack abeg.

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by rajiedreez: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2021
CharisEleos:
Is the old net worth 5k?
Just let her go. Give her her balance let peace reign.

It's not as if she removed the main door and it's not you who's going to fix another net.The new tenant coming to take the place will fix his own net. So don't cause unnecessary troubles for yourself.

At least, we all know it is the tenants that fix nets to their doors and never the landlords.
landlords too fix net and other accessories to their houses, it depends on the houses you've been renting. And repairing what you met in a house like thing you use personally on day to day is the tenants responsibility
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by rajiedreez: 12:56pm On Jul 21, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Did you make the door net for her as she came in?
Why arguing for things that are not worth it. A new tenant will still put his own net. Just let go and move on.

Sometimes the things that will mess our name are not worth it. If your name should be dragged let it be for millions and not 8k come on
let's say the landlord didn't do the net, that it was done by the previous tenant. what if the tenant was owing rents far more than the cost of the net before leaving, does the net still belong to the tenant
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by smartNerd: 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2021
“We cannot solve problems with the kind of
thinking we employed when we came up with
them.” — Albert Einstein
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by DAVE5(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2021
ford101:
Oga if it's true that u had a door net before she packed in 5years ago. Then ask her to put back that old net for you or let the police settle both of you.

Police would collect money from both of them and nothing would happen afterwards

Money wey dey for leave for each other
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by NoToPile: 1:08pm On Jul 21, 2021
ford101:
so if it were to be the toilet sit that she changed, so she would still take it. Or if it were the door lock that she changed.

Loool you get the drift

Some even go as far as removing sockets and switches they replaced when they met a functioning one there.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Donchieli: 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
Do you concur to the fact that some tenants are so carefree

They will just say besides no b my own

Especially when they know they are about to pack out
Ola17:

A tenant can only be held liable if a case of deliberate or careless destruction of property can be established. Some apartments do come with home appliances like refrigerator, television, microwave oven etc. If any of those appliances gets spoilt as a result of ‘normal’ use, the landlord is responsible for fixing them and not the tenant. Not to talk of ordinary mosquito net that gets flaky overtime as a result of sunlight.

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by DaRuud(m): 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2021
You Are lucky that your tenant only remove door net.

You lucky say no be aunty Amaka be your tenant , after she overstayed for 4 months , she remove glass , spoil the door key , remove circuit breaker . . . And Las las she sh*t black black sh*t full toilet , she no even flush am .

youngmo001:

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Ola17: 1:56pm On Jul 21, 2021
Donchieli:
Do you concur to the fact that some tenants are so carefree

They will just say besides no b my own

Especially when they know they are about to pack out

Of course yes. In fact, some tenants are evil likewise some landlords.

If you read through the op’s post, you may infer that the lady in question was a good tenant if all he could complain about her after five years of renting his property was that she took a net she bought and installed herself.

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by SaintUlot: 2:37pm On Jul 21, 2021
Many people commenting don't understand the op's post. @youngmo001. Your tenant doesn't have the right to remove the door net, she met a door net there when she packed in. The apartment suppose to be left in the condition it was when she packed in.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:35pm On Jul 21, 2021
If door net b d only problem my guy free her

1 Like

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Donchieli: 3:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
Ok

But just to point out

She met the net there first

Probably damaged it or it wore out

Needed to fix another for reasons best known to her

But removed the door net when leaving

I don't tink that speaks of her as a good tenant
Ola17:

Of course yes. In fact, some tenants are evil likewise some landlords.

If you read through the op’s post, you may infer that the lady in question was a good tenant if all he could complain about her after five years of renting his property was that she took a net she bought and installed herself.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by folks4luv(f): 4:12pm On Jul 21, 2021
Dud you collect damages fund at the beginning of her lease? If yes, she may be right to take the net. You provided something, she spoilt it, deduct it from the caution fee she paid
youngmo001:

Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by enedo: 4:21pm On Jul 21, 2021
She didn't even consider the fact you agreed to return the remaining money.
Just let her be.. Refund her money.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Ola17: 5:13pm On Jul 21, 2021
Donchieli:
Ok

But just to point out

She met the net there first

Probably damaged it or it wore out

Needed to fix another for reasons best known to her

But removed the door net when leaving

I don't tink that speaks of her as a good tenant

You do have a point. Hopefully she and her landlord will find a common ground.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Galaxydon1(m): 6:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
EnlightenedUFO:

TEMPER justice
thanks for the correction
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by LadyRosa(f): 8:11pm On Jul 21, 2021
Oracleforce:

No.trouble at all...if I were the landlord, I will deduct 10k...or she should replace my door net...that us why there should be an agreement between tenants and landlord before they move in...
She knows how to remove her door net but doesn't know how to replace my door net...
She don pack commot, make she start the wahala, I go charge her for willful destruction of my property...

Nonsense....why will. the op gives his house to all these single or widow ladies....they lack manners...to avoid trouble in your house avoid all these divorcees, widows, and single ladies they are a bunch of trouble...hardly can you find any responsible ones among them...
Any single lady that comes to my house, I always tell her to go back to her father's house to go and continue troubling them over there..

Well, It depends your location. If you be landlord for inside mushin, you go buy net tire. grin grin

Upgrade where you build your house and your single tenants including widows will use banking apps to transfer your change to you like they are buying puff puff.
Re: Please Judge This Case For Me, Between Me And My Tenant. by Promiseibritam: 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2021
EnlightenedUFO:

QUIT notice
God bless u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fashola Inspects Houses Constructed Under The National Housing Programme In Uyo / Secrets Of Land Purchase In Nigeria / How To Permanently Kill Grasses On Your Frontage Or Driveway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.