Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts (10018 Views)

NCA Freezes Alison-Madueke’s Cash In Court Today - Sahara Reporters / Unpaid Salaries: “publish Imo Accounts” – Archbishop Obinna Dares Okorocha / EFCC Freezes Father Mbaka's Accounts - Daily Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Chyz2: 10:38pm On May 12, 2011
[size=15pt]Okorocha freezes Imo accounts[/size]

Friday, May 13, 2011

Tension is rising once more in Imo State following reports that the campaign office of the state Governor-elect, Chief Rochas Okorocha, has frozen all the state government accounts with banks in the state.

Investigations reveal that Chief Okorocha’s Chief of Staff, Prince Eze Madumere, wrote a letter to all the banks dealing with the state government placing embargo on the accounts until the governor-elect, is sworn in on May 29, 2011.

Investigations further reveal that this move, which many analysts have described as an illegality is wrecking havoc in the state especially as civil servants in the state are yet to receive their April salaries. Sources close to some of the banks in Owerri reveal that cheques issued by the state government for the payment of workers salaries were dishonoured by the banks.

The latest development, according to investigations, is once more raising the political temperature in the state which dipped following a statement by the out-going governor, Chief Ikedi Ohakim accepting the outcome of the election and declining going to court to challenge it despite some perceived irregularities. Some observers wonder why the governor-elect, whose aides are no signatories to the said government accounts would allow such a move that has the potentials of grounding the state or indeed jeopardizing his own swearing in ceremonies which will have to be midwife by the sitting administration.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/13/national-13-05-2011-002.html
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Chyz2: 10:41pm On May 12, 2011
Ohakims plans to stack government money before he takes off is destroyed. grin
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by macjive01: 10:43pm On May 12, 2011
ohakim already took out 18 Billion credit from the banks.

nice move by Rochas
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by cmon(m): 10:45pm On May 12, 2011
Does Rochas have that much power for this kind of action?
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Ngodigha: 10:50pm On May 12, 2011
Rochas is not sworn in yet, I wonder how he can effect this at this time.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by alexleo(m): 10:56pm On May 12, 2011
This is veeeery good. let the civil servants be patient. nigerians should learn to sacrifice in order to enjoy. When rochas comes in they will be paid even more. But to allow ohakim carry the money Mba o.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 12, 2011
The story doesnt add up.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by kasiem(m): 11:23pm On May 12, 2011
Hmm, it shouldn't end here. The bloke(ohakim) need to be probed seriously
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Nobody: 12:25am On May 13, 2011
Anybody who believes this news will believe anything.

Okorocha does not have power to do this.

He is a lawyer by training and understands the limits of his powers.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by jumobi1(m): 12:35am On May 13, 2011
I thought Ohakim was still governor??
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by HighChief4(m): 1:38am On May 13, 2011
How possible could this be?
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by EzeUche2(m): 1:40am On May 13, 2011
This is not possible until he is sworn as governor.

Or did he. . . shocked

If he did what I think he did, this man is very smart.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by DisGuy: 1:41am On May 13, 2011
obviously fake news

salaries of April still being paid middle of may

all these journalist with their 'investigations revealed' 'sources revealed, 'experts who dont want to be named' and observers bla blah should never be trusted!
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by macjive01: 1:45am On May 13, 2011
All rochas need to do is to tell the banks that if u lend any money to this guy I will not honour it, moreove any gov on the verge of  leaving yet awarding contracts, those contracts can't b genuine, no due process so it is therefore nulled n void.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Chyz2: 1:46am On May 13, 2011
Some of you have good points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if other newspapers have the same type of story.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by OAM4J: 2:57am On May 13, 2011
And which bank will honour such request?
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Mavor: 6:37am On May 13, 2011
Look, I am not a supporter of Ohakim, but it is illegal for banks to honour such a request from Okorocha cos He has not been sworn in as Governor yet
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by blacksta(m): 7:06am On May 13, 2011
useless journalism - ok me too as a nigerian will write to all banks to dishonour cheques written by the FG.

for the sake of God " the man is not even sworn in yet "
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by arsenal1(m): 7:31am On May 13, 2011
@ Dis guy i was in d bank yesterday when a lady came to check whether her april's salary schedule was posted to bank
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by arsenal1(m): 7:33am On May 13, 2011
@ OP I don't believe it's true.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by emekagh(m): 7:35am On May 13, 2011
macjive01:

All rochas need to do is to tell the banks that if u lend any money to this guy I will not honour it, moreove any gov on the verge of  leaving yet awarding contracts, those contracts can't b genuine, no due process so it is therefore nulled n void.

I agree with this. The banks will want to be sure that the incoming government will honour any financial agreement reached with the outgoing. Now if the outgoing states in writing that it wont honour it, that call for concern.

Legally the bank's cannot refuse to honour withdrawals if the account of the government is funded, but they might not be in the position to advance further concession or loans to the incumbent. They might also resort to different kinds of delay tactics to frustrate the outgoing governor.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Ekpoma1: 7:36am On May 13, 2011
Any bank that loan him money now does that to their own peril.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by abes(m): 7:39am On May 13, 2011
Who is the present Imo state governor? Okorocha won't be governor until 29th of May, what power does he have to freeze government account when he is not the governor?

sun newspaper is really doing damage to Nigerian journalism.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:56am On May 13, 2011
Its an illegality, hes not sworn in yet but unfortunately this is naija anything goes and the banks know that ohakim isnt relevant for now cos in a matter of dayz he would leave office. any bank that goes against okorachas directive will not have any dealings with his govt. thats the bitter truth. grin
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by Rhino5dm: 10:04am On May 13, 2011
This is very possible as i have witness coumtless of time in the north, where govornor elect will freeze state accounts.

Isa yuguda did thesame to Ma'azu in Bauchi state.

Very good move! Coming from no other than the LION himself.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by 49cents(m): 10:21am On May 13, 2011
Sun newspaper just sensationalised it! Of course as gov-elect rochas does not have legal powers but moral powers, his word to the banks is sufficient to frustrate Ohakim from any last minute withdrawals. Any bank that defies rochas is risking loosing imo state's account come may 29. This is a humilating slap on the arrogant gov. whicch serves him right.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by maddock(m): 10:30am On May 13, 2011
Na wah for una o. There is no argument here at all, as a Bank MD you dont need to be a guru to know that the main ""koko"is the word of the Incoming (Okorocha) and not the outgoing (Ohakim). Okorocha does not need to go to court to freeze the account by mere pronouncing it all banks supposed arrange themselves. Or else be rest assured that the next 4 years no goverment deposits. So tell me if you are the bank MD would you ignore the directive?
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by blacksta(m): 10:41am On May 13, 2011
maddock:

Na wah for una o. There is no argument here at all, as a Bank MD you dont need to be a guru to know that the main ""koko"is the word of the Incoming (Okorocha) and not the outgoing (Ohakim). Okorocha does not need to go to court to freeze the account by mere pronouncing it all banks supposed arrange themselves. Or else be rest assured that the next 4 years no goverment deposits. So tell me if you are the bank MD would you ignore the directive?

We all agree that it is possible because of the Nigerian factor - but it is not Legal for a bank to receive directive from a not yet sworn in governor.  hence because of the illegal directive salaries wont be paid
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by mbulela: 10:42am On May 13, 2011
this is how we breed illegality.
tomorrow it will come back to bite us.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by maddock(m): 10:49am On May 13, 2011
@mbulele and blacksta
I quite agree with you it is very wrong but a situation where high level corruption and looting is the order of the day, this measure is a welcome one. You will be amaze at the various memos for contract being backdated and the money collected all the bid to steal as much as possible. Majority of them politicians in nigeria are mentally unbalanced. Did you not read about the Bankole loan issues that surfaced this week, what is the outcome of the mata i can very well bet my last pence that it has been swept under the carpet. Lots of illegality are being perpetrated on a daily and if you wait to counter them the legal way it might just be too late.
Re: Okorocha Freezes Imo Accounts by HamidO1(m): 11:49am On May 13, 2011
maddock:

True!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lawal Kaita Is Dead (Photo) / Sanwo-olu’s Campaign Group Congratulates Buhari, Appeal To Lagosians / Dear Nigerians, Is This really the hand of an 82 year old? "Nnamdi Kanu asks'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.