Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen (38937 Views)

Children Mount Roadblock On Bauchi-Jos Road To Protest Eviction By Army / Don't Sit Idle Expecting Me To Stop Killer Fulani Herdsmen In Your States, Buhar / Ogun Residents Flee To Benin Republic Over Herdsmen Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Nemere2020: 11:45am On Jul 21, 2021

As cases of killings and kidnapping rise across the nation, some residents of Ogun State have decided to take their destiny in their hands by keeping watch over other members of their community.

The people of Oke-Ogbe in Ijebu North Local Government Area of the state appeared not to be waiting for security agents to save them from those they called “killer Fulani herdsmen and kidnappers” ravaging the area.

At the Oke-Ogbe junction of the Isara-Ago Iwoye road, hunters in the community mounted a roadblock where they do ‘stop-and-search’ on all vehicles.

Our correspondent reports that the hunters, armed with dane guns, search each vehicle, including lorries, to ensure none is with arms or any dangerous weapons.

They take time to do a thorough checking on individuals and their bags, all for the security of lives and property.

Our correspondent reports that the hunters perform the tasks without any form of harassment or extortion, even as they enjoy the cooperation of drivers and passengers.

But, the hunters who have volunteered to do the job said they have not gotten any form of support from leaders and stakeholders in the area.

Speaking with DAILY POST, the leader of the local vigilantes, Jaiyeola Jegede, said they might withdraw their services soon for lack of support.

Jegede stated that they took up the responsibility after series of kidnapping and robbery by suspected herdsmen, saying they have the nod of the police and the community king to mount the road block.

“We are doing this for the purpose of security. We want to secure our community. We have the backing of the DPO and the Oba to do this.

“Fulanis are kidnapping people everywhere. They rob on this road. Sometimes by 7 pm, they will be kidnapping and robbing people on this particular road. Many people have been robbed and kidnapped. The same thing happened on Ibadan/Ago Iwoye road, because that road links Mamu. They kidnap people. There are hunters in that are too.

“Last week, people were robbed on this same road. They even took away some. But, before we got there, they had fled into the bush. We combed everywhere till almost dawn, but we didn’t see the herdsmen,” Jegede explained.

On the challenges facing the team, Jegede regretted that members are already contemplating quitting the community service job.

“We are already contemplating leaving this place, we want to quit this work we are doing. Since we have been here, nobody makes any provision for us. We are the ones feeding ourselves. We need motorbikes or vehicles for patrol, from here to Ago Iwoye and Isara Remo, but we didn’t see anything. Nobody is giving us anything; people are only promising without fulfilling it.

“Our plea is that people should support us. But if they don’t, we will withdraw from here anytime soon,” he said.

On whether the dane guns they carry could stand a chance against AK-47-weilding bandits, the hunter retorted, “We know these our dane guns cannot face bandits who are carrying AK-47 rifles. You know we are only using this for hunting. But we are ready for them. This is not to say that we won’t appreciate it if government approves more sophisticated weapons for us, but as we are, there’s nothing we can do. If they (the bandits) attack us with whatever they have, by the grace of God, they can’t get any of us. We will stop them.”

Jegede expressed worry that “countless people have been kidnapped here by the Fulanis.”

He recalled that, “recently we arrested some people here with guns inside their vehicle. They hid the guns under bunches of banana and bags of garri. We also caught thiefs carting away bags of cement and other stolen items.

“Once we apprehend them, we hand them over to the police. We don’t know what the police do with them,” Jegede quipped.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/07/21/ogun-residents-mount-roadblock-vow-to-stop-killer-herdsmen/?amp=1&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by PrinceOfLagos: 11:49am On Jul 21, 2021
Their parents should call them to order to avoid stories that touch.

The law forbids you take law into your hands

6 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by ShobayoEmma(m): 11:53am On Jul 21, 2021
Sign of a failed government. God bless my state and all the freedom fighters

131 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by zombieHUNTER: 11:54am On Jul 21, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Abokki we meet again...

Enjoy your time while it lasts

I won't lie... We in the South are feeling the heat.. farmers fear to pay the farm a visit.. food shortages and scarcity.. inflation..

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel... Buhari government won't last forever.. I only blame the naive Southerners chanting sai barber back then..

Enjoy.

280 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by alizma: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2021
Federal government should better adopt this ranching idea. It is dangerous to push people to a point where they care less about what happens to their life. When a child is no longer scared of the cane over what the parents see as bad habbit, it will be advisable for the parents to have a second look at what they consider to be bad habbit and also have one on one talk with the child. I have say my own o

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Sammy07: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
PrinceOfLagos:

Sunday Igboho was arrested in Benin republic by the government of Benin republic, they should go to that country through the border and mount road block.

Let nobody cry blue murder should the army be sent to restore sanity in this area .
[/s]

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by AntiBeEmCe(m): 11:57am On Jul 21, 2021
They better kill anyone they catch... rather than hand them over to their police/army brothers.

Why the state govt isn't supporting them is what I don't understand. All their family members must be living abroad.

17 Likes

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by alizma: 11:58am On Jul 21, 2021
Federal government should better consider this ranching idea because It is dangerous to push people to a point where they do not care about what happens to their life anymore. When a child is no longer scared of the cane over what the parents see as bad habbit, it is advisable for the parents to have a second look at what they call bad habbit and also have one on one talk with the child. I don talk my own o

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Samunique(m): 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2021
Now you will see buhari in action, he will declare those living in that area as terrorists, and Nigerian army will swing into action sharp sharp !

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by PrinceOfLagos: 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2021
zombieHUNTER:

Abokki we meet again...

Enjoy your time while it lasts

I won't lie... We in the South are feeling the heat.. farmers fear to pay the farm a visit.. food shortages and scarcity.. inflation..

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel... Buhari government won't last forever.. I only blame the naive Southerners chanting sai barber back then..

Enjoy.
Aboki is not even an abusive name my friend

I won't take offense walahi
Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by MuchAdo: 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Don't be a loooonatic!

They have the right to protect themselves from being attacked.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by zombieHUNTER: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Aboki is not even an abusive name my friend
I won't take offense walahi

And who said I intend to abuse you..

If I did.. you would have hanged yourself to escape your miserable life.

51 Likes

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Ruggedniggaone: 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2021
The only solution to this problem is to wage total war against anything fulani in the southwest, they should all be sent to where they came from because ranching will also cteate lots of criminal among those bastard fulani, because they will resort to all shot of crimality when they couldn't afford ranches for their cows thats when they will go back to the bush and start kidnapping business with full force.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Mystery9(m): 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Which law is that shocked

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by theTranscriber: 1:06pm On Jul 21, 2021
AntiBeEmCe:
They better kill anyone they catch... rather than hand them over to their police/army brothers.

Why the state govt isn't supporting them is what I don't understand. All their family members must be living abroad.
supported

I trust my ijebu brothers angry

10 Likes

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by theTranscriber: 1:07pm On Jul 21, 2021
alizma:
Federal government should better consider this ranching idea because It is dangerous to push people to a point where they do not care about what happens to their life anymore. When a child is no longer scared of the cane over what the parents see as bad habbit, it is advisable for the parents to have a second look at what they call bad habbit and also have one on one talk with the child. I don talk my own o
forget it
They can't ranch in the south

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by KillMNKnow(f): 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
grin
Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
They need to be up & doing coz, like thieves in the night, those wicked people just appear.

More power to their elbows

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
Useless government

Failed country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2021
KillMNKnow:
grin

Jobless kid!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Julianaa: 1:56pm On Jul 21, 2021
Unfortunately, Igboho can't defend you guys

Defence yourselves beacuse the government wont help

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by obembet(f): 1:56pm On Jul 21, 2021
Nonsense, u want to stop Terriost and u dey announce am. Army will soom come for you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by KillMNKnow(f): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

Jobless kid!
hi, are you a woman
Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Lee99: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
Rubbish, if these ones hear gunshot now all of them go run enter bush grin grin abi no be afonjah again undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by dazzlingd(m): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
They will soon roll tanks on them, how can they challenge the no 1 citizens...

On another view, buhari had to arrest sunday to appease the fulani blood suckers and prevent mad bloodshed as a bloody clash was imminent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by jared007: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
Why southern Nigerian youths foolish like this? Why always announce what you intend doing? Does herdsmen announce their operations?

If guerilla warfare is carried out silently I swear killer herdsmen will flee Ogun State.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by Okortor: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
Nice move but without the govt backing, e go hard because those killer herdsmen have got some sophisticated guns.

It's well with the righteous. Amen.
Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by 96ACE: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
Scanty road block grin grin grin
If una like make una no soji una self make herdsmen use una practice long-range shooting grin grin

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by EXLOVER(m): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
This one's never ready to do with herdsmen, you wear Agbada and carry stick wan use fight herdsmen ?

And beside those herdsmen na bush them dey pass, before you attempt to fight a group, understand their modus operandi

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by akinmusi(m): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

So bitter but true
Re: Ogun Residents Mount Roadblock, Vow To Stop Killer Herdsmen by FOREX4free(m): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2021
Good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ To Seven-Count Charge Of Terrorism / APC Rejects Inec’s Decision On Bauchi Governorship Election / Pics Wooden Bridge Constructed By Young Men In Adamawa Without Government Suppor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.