Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov (543 Views)

Bola Tinubu And William Ruto: Africa's 'flying Presidents' Under Fire - BBC / President Buhari Should Put All Other Ecowas Presidents Under Arrest / EFCC: We’ve Placed Top Politicians Under Surveillance To Check Vote-buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by Sergioaguero: 7:05pm On Jul 21, 2021
The phones of 50,000 individuals, including human rights activists and journalists, have been targeted by surveillance tools that were used by numerous governments. These tools can hack any iOS and Android phone, and there is no way to protect your device from it. It doesn't matter which apps you use, because the system is breached on a deeper level.

According to the Snowden revelations from 2013, both Apple and Google are part of the global surveillance program that implies that these companies have to, among other things, implement backdoors into their mobile operating systems. These backdoors, usually disguised as security bugs, allow US agencies to access information on any smartphone in the world.

The problem with such backdoors is that they are never exclusive to just one party. Anybody can exploit them. So if a US security agency can hack an iOS or Android phone, any other organization that uncovers these backdoors can do the same. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly what has been taking place: an Israeli company called NSO Group has been selling access to the spying tools that allowed third parties to hack tens of thousands of phones.

Since at least 2018, I have been aware that one of my phone numbers was included in a list of potential targets of such surveillance tools (although a source from the NSO Group denies it). Personally, I wasn't worried: since 2011, when I was still living in Russia, I’ve got used to assuming that all my phones were compromised. Anyone who gains access to my private data will be utterly disappointed – they will have to go through thousands of concept designs for Telegram features and millions of messages related to our product development process. They won't find any important information there.

However, these surveillance tools are also used against people far more prominent than me. For example, they were employed to spy on 14 heads of state. The existence of backdoors in crucial infrastructure and software creates a huge challenge for humanity. That's why I have been calling upon the governments of the world to start acting against the Apple-Google duopoly in the smartphone market and to force them to open their closed ecosystems and allow for more competition.

So far, even though the current market monopolization increases costs and violates privacy and freedom of speech of billions, government officials have been very slow to act. I hope the news that they themselves have been targeted by these surveillance tools will prompt politicians to change their minds.

Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by donbachi(m): 7:08pm On Jul 21, 2021
Make una ask am wether naija own dem dey.

1 Like

Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by DaddyRochie1642: 7:10pm On Jul 21, 2021
donbachi:
Make una ask am wether naija own dem dey.

Naija own no dey
Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by donbachi(m): 7:16pm On Jul 21, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:

Naija own no dey
make dem check well..but,una as why.
Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by Nbotee(m): 8:20pm On Jul 21, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:

Naija own no dey

Naija no get any say in world politics or scheme of things so wetin dem wan dey do there?
Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by Jostoman: 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:

Naija own no dey
e dey there
Re: The Phones Of 50,000 Individuals Including Presidents Under Surveillance - Durov by EMAXIM(m): 8:28pm On Jul 21, 2021
Who go survey Nigeria government phone like this?!

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: FG Begins Disbursement Of AGSMEIS LOAN To Thousands Of Applicants / a / Rivers VAT Not For Abuja People, I Don’t Care If Heaven Falls, Wike Warns Oil Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.