Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,865 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? (19705 Views)

Woman Who Slept With Male Best Friend Following Quarrel With Husband, Seeks Help / What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria? / My Mum's Fate: If You Must Get Married, Avoid Male Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Limassol(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2021
Both are important but the male child is obviously more important, this is undebateble sef. Give me good looking and smart boy over ten girls anyday. Thread was probably created by a disgruntled feminist,smh.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Debra911(f): 3:23pm On Jul 22, 2021
MYHUBBY:

come to Lagos, let me give you two male then one girl to crown it all
Awwn that's so thoughtful of you, but no thanks
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by uthlaw: 3:24pm On Jul 22, 2021
feldido:
If you want to live longer, Give birth to female children.
I have 2 beautiful girls and I'm very grateful to God for them.
I've always prayed to God to give me a female child.

Men will always take their Family as their primary responsibility over their parents when they get married, but the female child will always take good care of their parents even adding that responsibility to their husbands grin
oga husstle hard make u no wait 4 pikin b4 u eat....ur daughters will still collect 4rm there husband b4 u eat....male child, anyday anytime!

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by AFONAMARO: 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
For me its not culture related.
Raising a female child in these immoral times is scary when I think of it.

Imagine watching my own daughter's sextape with one guy ramming her senselessly going viral online. Chai!! cry

I'll kill her then take my own life.

Yet, you ain't thinking of seeing your son's sextape with a random girl? Or, are the sins of ladies more dirtier?

I hope you know the assumed sextape wouldn't be your imaginary daughter doing herself, but with an ill trained son raised by an assumed failed father, who was/is also a son?

I weep for our backward way of thinking.

Let me ask you, when a man is dead and gone, how would he know who bears his name or not?

I bet the likes of Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Dora Akunyili, Oby Ezekwesili, Chimamanda Adichie etc, are all men?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by MYHUBBY: 3:28pm On Jul 22, 2021
Debra911:
Awwn that's so thoughtful of you, but no thanks

no? does it mean you're a wife of somebody yet?
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Lukebryan2sure: 3:32pm On Jul 22, 2021
Na so papa chikodi do in d bid of looking for a male child gave birth to 7girls
Male/ female..
Pikin Na pikin

1 Like

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Sterope(f): 3:33pm On Jul 22, 2021
You spend money, time and effort on a child only for her future to be determined by the man she marries.

Whether she can pursue a career?
When she can go out?
When she can visit her parents?
Whether she can take care of her parents at their old age?
Whether she is going to spend any celebrations with her family again?
Whether she can cater for their financially needs? They ultimately have to rely on their daughters husband's to sustain them.

A daughter is a loss grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by keentola(m): 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2021
Chibu5050:

Interested
WhatsApp number is in bio
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by SIRTee15: 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2021
I think the male preference is an African thing or should I say prevalent in conservative society- it's also a very big deal in Islamic community.
In western countries, for a black family- it's much easier to train a girlchild than a boy.
Black boys are at the lowest rung in the pyramid scale of societal importance.
They are also very difficult to train, they won't listen to you, leave home very early, some cut themselves off from the family n change their names.
It's a big achievement here to have a very successful family oriented black boy.
The issue of keeping family name is quite dicey. But as an immigrant, just know that your grand children n great grandchildren will likely abandon your African sounding name- whether boy or girl.
If in doubt, ask Ryan Giggs, Carlton Cole, Ashleigh plumptree n Ross Barkley.
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by uthlaw: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2021
harmony75:
How many male children are responsible in the family!? Everything still fall back to the female Child just 3% male children are useful!? God have mercy but 50% female are responsible for their father and mother they will still care for their husbands and kids and go home to care for their siblings how many male children Care!?
so 90% of the female children are running after 3% male children that are doing okay to get married to them.....all the responsible women in Nigeria depends on their husband or family wealth....women do not usually dream to get rich but rather go after rich men!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 22, 2021
adebenson155:
female kids na stress to train o..

the way this young boys dey hang their leg..i fear for my female kids oo embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

Unless you're sure your females would be senseless already,and unless you don't have the brain to nurture them cuz most guy's brain are just perforated already..
Besides,if your wife or to-be wife is senseless, just forget it..
The combination of you guys wouldn't make sense as you guys would just raise females that would end up being useless.
Not all females are useless,only the ones you find yourself around are useless I think.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:

Imagine watching my own daughter's sextape with one guy ramming her senselessly going viral online. Chai!! cry

Then it shows you lack what it takes to raise a great female child... just sit down and have a rethink about yourself.
Is it every females that are useless?..is it every females that has the sextape being leaked out there?..make use of your brain for once now..
Those decent females you see out there were raised up by parents who has sense..
Why not start searching for such sense than moving around with senseless females who has affected your life with their senselessness?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Maj196(m): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2021
With all these pusssy boys around. Some girls are more useful than boys
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by webizone(m): 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2021
WoundedLamb:

That's because you delibrately don't want to train the boys to stop hanging thier legs. You let the boys lose, you even encourage them, and then you turn around to complain the girls' legs are getting spread apart.

Not true. Even after strict upbringings, it's still nature.
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2021
Debra911:
I'll love to have a male child as my first, then female second. Well only God can say, pikin na pikin
you fine sha,let me give you that male
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by dominique(f): 3:48pm On Jul 22, 2021
When the likes of George W Bush, Bill cliy, Mark Zuckerberg, Aliko Dangote, Barrack Obama etc are not fretting about sons that will preserve their names. it is you, a nobody with zero impact to humanity that is now shouting your family name must be preserved yen yen yen. So male children are easier to raise Abi? If you're not tired of seeing street urchins, drug addicts, cultists, thugs etc littered almost every corner you turn, me I am tired o. If anything, boys should be more difficult to raise than girls because there are more societal vices (cultism, crime, hard drugs etc) that they can fall into compared to girls (prostitution). But no o, let's leave them alone to do whatever they like.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2021
Valevilla:
This explains why a male child is held with high regards.
Mr Jude Kristen have two children a boy and a girl, let's call the boy Dave and the girl Cynthia
Dave got married and his wife and children are all answering Kristen their grand father name. Hance the name is living on.
Cynthia got married and now bears the husband surname.
Jude Kristen died and because he has a male child his name is living on.
Let's say if Cynthia was the only child and she got married his name won't live on so because of such circumstance a male child is held with high regards than a female.

And what's so special about the useless surname most of you guys have?
You just open your mouth waaaaa.
Like do you even have any achievement before claiming you want a male child?
So,you mean after tarnishing the surnames already,the kids would be so interested in bearing the name?
You need to think.. infact some male children change their father's name to something else..when the name is tarnished already..
So if you don't make use of your name well,your male children or whatsoever would never be proud to bear your surname and he would probably change it!
Think!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by adebenson155: 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2021
Cee0nne:

Unless you're sure your females would be senseless already,and unless you don't have the brain to nurture them cuz most guy's brain are just perforated already..
Besides,if your wife or to-be wife is senseless, just forget it..
The combination of you guys wouldn't make sense as you guys would just raise females that would end up being useless.
Not all females are useless,only the ones you find yourself around are useless I think.
smiley

just to pass message you resorted to insulting your father, fore fathers and lineage.

It shall never be well with you anu mpama..

1 Like

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by ProphetJeroboam: 3:50pm On Jul 22, 2021
Call me misogynist or sexist,I don’t care. Female children are hard to raise. Everything about them Dey stress person. Most female children are stubborn and impressionable. Especially when puberty comes and one boy start whispering sweet lies to their ears, at this stage they will disrespect anybody and everybody. They buy the “love lie” so much that everyone else be damned. You’ll rarely see a young boy get a girl pregnant and damn his future on purpose but a girl will entertain the idea of deliberately getting pregnant because in her deluded mind it will bring her closer to her supposed soulmate of a boyfriend without considering her parents and loved ones who she is bringing shame and disgrace on. If I must give birth to girl, I’d prefer she becomes a lesbian unless God has other plans for me.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2021
adebenson155:

just to pass message you resorted to insulting your father, fore fathers and lineage.

It shall never be well with you anu mpama..

Ehyaaa,and I'm not the reason behind your madness oh..you just resolved into displaying your madness on Nairaland again..
It shall never be well with you too in Jesus name!
You will never make it in life and even if you've been making it little before,all you have will be destroyed by the warriors of heaven.
Those two points I gave you em,later,you would start searching for me.. let's bet.
What a pity embarassed
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by webizone(m): 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2021
dominique:
When the likes of George W Bush, Bill cliy, Mark Zuckerberg, Aliko Dangote, Barrack Obama etc are not fretting about sons that will preserve their names. it is you, a nobody with zero impact to humanity that is now shouting your family name must be preserved yen yen yen. So male children are easier to raise Abi? If you're not tired of seeing street urchins, drug addicts, cultists, thugs etc littered almost every corner you turn, me I am tired o. If anything, boys should be more difficult to raise than girls because there are more societal vices (cultism, crime, hard drugs etc) than they can fall into compared to girls (prostitution). But no o, let's leave them alone to do whatever they like.

The same world you are living in has evolved in understanding that all the vices you just mentioned has equal number of girls involved whether directly or indirectly. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by MightySparrow: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Hmmmmmm everybody knows the great importance of having a male child, the numbers of sons a family has is like arrows in a soldiers hands, but daughters are like...
...daughters are like quivers
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Zane2point4(m): 4:00pm On Jul 22, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:

angry

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by promisedeco(m): 4:01pm On Jul 22, 2021
Aforxzy:
So, many parents feel it is easier to just raise a male child. They require less attention.

The bolded is not true.

The male child just like the female child needs the parents full attention. He needs to be taught how to be responsible and to take up responsibility. Reason why we have so many wayward children in our society.
You are not completely right.
Take for example, a young lad messed up, all the parents would say is "don't you know you're a man". Without actually giving him what he should do instead.

But a female child would get seated by her mum to teach her what and what are required from her as a woman.
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 22, 2021
amadaovie:

And how much will the NAME put in your pocket.

My brother, pikin na pikin, as long as the said pikin takes good care on you in your old age.

Abi ohh,I wonder..
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Zane2point4(m): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2021
feldido:
If you want to live longer, Give birth to female children.
I have 2 beautiful girls and I'm very grateful to God for them.
I've always prayed to God to give me a female child.

Men will always take their Family as their primary responsibility over their parents when they get married, but the female child will always take good care of their parents even adding that responsibility to their husbands grin
You contradited yourself, *husband* is which gender?
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Abagworo(m): 4:05pm On Jul 22, 2021
The only reason is the family lineage because our society and most societies patrilineal. That is why in some Igbo communities a man who has only female children will need one to remain unmarried and raise his descendants at home. In some instances she coukd still marry if she gets a male replacement .

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:06pm On Jul 22, 2021
Past, present and future all male grin
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 22, 2021
Cee0nne:

And what's so special about the useless surname most of you guys have?
You just open your mouth waaaaa.
Like do you even have any achievement before claiming you want a male child?
So,you mean after tarnishing the surnames already,the kids would be so interested in bearing the name?
You need to think.. infact some male children change their father's name to something else..when the name is tarnished already..
So if you don't make use of your name well,your male children or whatsoever would never be proud to bear your surname and he would probably change it!
Think!
OP asked a question as to why the male gender is held with high regards to the female.
I made a suggestion so I don't get why you are quoting me. I never mentioned it anywhere that I prefer male yo female I just suggest why it was so cause gender discrimination is not much now compared to 1900. And talking about achievement I can speak well for that but what about you? You think prostitution Is an achievement? Just get a meaningful life instead.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by winner37(m): 4:10pm On Jul 22, 2021
My boss told me someday that he prayed to God he should have only female I asked him why do you pray so but he didn't have me an accurate answer.

Me ,I need 2 male and 2 female no cheating ..
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by Debra911(f): 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2021
MYHUBBY:

no? does it mean you're a wife of somebody yet?
No. So I should now travel to lag cos of what
Re: Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? by McLizbae: 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2021
Femi8586:

...And a male child is as well worth more than 100 female children put together.

Mumu, so if can get to choose, you will take all the alumajiri boys in the North than one Okojo Iweala. Siiiior!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Tell Siblings To Give You Space Without Hurting Them Feelings / Housewife Arrested For Battering Husband / A Cry For Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.