Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria (2388 Views)

Share Your Experience With A Therapist. / Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist / Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by Derajoyce(f): 1:43pm On Jul 23, 2021
When I decided to see a therapist, it seemed unnecessary. My close friends thought I was handling life reasonably well and didn’t see what I needed to adjust or correct. They weren’t wrong. The preconceived notion of the purpose of therapy in Nigeria is still closely related to witnessing extreme signs and effects of mental disorders, such that, when a person appears outwardly fine and functional, therapy is almost frowned at.
What do you need therapy for? was the question I got.
Still, I knew I wasn’t functioning properly. I knew my coping mechanisms were catching up with me and it was only a matter of time before I crashed. Here’s how I went from decision to my first therapy session. If you intend on taking the steps below, I strongly advise you consider this whole process as a long-term project you’re willing to commit to.

Step One: Decision
Deciding was the scariest part because deciding that I needed therapy meant admitting that there was an issue and I wasn’t equipped to handle it on my own. It also meant becoming willing to pay for therapy and willingly subjecting my mind and emotions to the scrutiny of an outsider. It meant letting go of my coping mechanisms – in time I would come to know that this was the toughest rock to throw away. As an adult, no one can make this decision for you. You have to commit to the process out of your free will.

Step Two: Make a list
Finding a suitable therapist for you. Google is an ally here, however, information on the therapy services offered in Nigeria are scattered across multiple websites and I needed more than one google search to find the right mental health practitioner to work with. First, I googled mental health practitioners/psychologists/psychiatrists in Nigeria and made a list of all the names, numbers, emails and addresses I could find. Luckily, some websites are more explicit than others.

Step Three: Ask Questions
With a list in hand, I narrowed my options to speciality, years of experience, cost, duration of treatment and gut instincts. This is where the emails and phone numbers come in handy. I sent out emails introducing myself, specifically stating where I got their contact and then, requesting the following information:
• Certification
• Years of experience
• Preferred treatment approach including duration, frequency and cost.
It’s important to be clear, direct and polite when requesting information. Keep in mind that you will be paying for these services, as such, ask what you need to know. Fortunately, I got responses almost instantly and for those who didn’t respond via email, I proceeded to call. Make an effort to reply to every email, especially when you do not intend on pursuing the conversation, it’s basic courtesy.

Step Four: Choosing the one
After narrowing my options to two psychologists based on the factors mentioned above. It came down to who I felt comfortable with after talking via phone calls. In this case, follow your gut. The psychologist I choose made me feel a sense of joy and peace, in that moment, that was all I needed.

Step Five: Consultation
As a first-timer, the consultation fee wasn’t cheap. The average fee range from my research was between N15,000 to N30, 000 for one consultation session, scheduled between 45mins to 1 hour. I didn’t know what results to expect, so whatever figure I saw seemed comparatively large compared to ten other things I could be using the same amount for. My rationalization was, my mental health is as important as my physical health and it is 100% my responsibility to take care of myself. Secondly, I considered it an investment on myself with unmeasurable returns on investment. Most therapists will ask for a consultation fee before diagnosis and discussing a treatment plan. In my case, my therapist was based outside of Lagos. I had to travel out of town for an in-person consultation session. There are therapists who offer a virtual consultation option. I opted for an in-person consultation because of its added benefits. An in-person consultation is necessary to carry out an accurate mental health diagnosis, as everything matters including tone of voice, body language, choice of words etc. I welcomed the opportunity of leaving town for a few days as a chance to break my routine and to be fully present.

Step Six: Personal Cross-Examination
The journey from the airport to the therapist’s office was nerve-racking. All I had to compare my expectations of therapy sessions were brief scenes from movies. Not knowing what to expect made me nervous. I walked into cream white walls, a black armchair and a lady smiling broadly across the table. That smile was helpful but, before I knew it, I blurted, “how long will this take? I can spare only four weeks to fix this.” She replied, “we’ll need to first find out what the issue is and take it from there.”

Step Seven: Treatment plan and payment
A day after the consultation session, my therapist emailed the diagnosis from the tests I had taken, together with her proposed treatment plan and costs. Before that, we had discussed the cost of each therapy session during the enquiry process. So, I had an idea of how much to budget. However, it is only after the diagnosis that you can know for sure how many sessions you might need. As stated earlier, the journey to a healthy mental state is 100% your responsibility and it’s important to work with a therapist who ensures you don't forget this.
We scheduled a call to discuss every item on the treatment plan, what I should expect and what frequency might produce the most effective results. I settled for one session per week, spread across twelve weeks.
However, there were three items included in the plan that I didn’t think was necessary, as I had already incorporated those aspects into my daily routine. Next, I made payments for the first six sessions. I did this to test the waters. Most therapists in Nigeria will prefer such bulk payments before commencing treatment. From my research, the average range per session was N10,000 to N35,000.
Please note: There are mental health facilities that offer pre-planned packages for significantly less.

Step Eight: Get a journal
Before therapy I rarely journaled. When I did, there were random thoughts about work. Journaling my thoughts every morning helped me see the thoughts that I ruminated on. In my case, they were neither helpful nor productive. Also, it helped me keep track of my progress from my therapy sessions, the tasks I was given and how well I incorporated those tasks into my daily life. As I said, it’s a project y’all.

Step Nine: Embracing Spirituality
When you begin therapy, one of the things you’d quickly realize is, your therapist cannot change you. The change has to come from within you. What your therapist does is help you navigate your mind, habits, emotions and spot patterns. They help you spot the patterns, label the issue and help you understand how to manage or eliminate the issue. The keyword here is help.
Therapy definitely helped to uncover and label the issues I was facing but it was God who healed my pain. My therapist said how fast a person heals depends on how much they are willing to unlearn. Some people take two months, others take years. On my journey, I found what encored me was the truth that, healing, peace and joy were already available to me and all I had to do was learn how to open myself to them. These weren’t things I had to work hard to achieve because God has already provided these to all His children, and those who believe it, receive it.

Step ten: What to expect
Nothing remains the same after therapy. It could become worse; it should become better but nothing remains the same. It could become worse if you succumb to the temptation to quit. The reason is, often we develop strong coping mechanisms to deal with trauma and the effects of trauma and sometimes, these coping mechanisms become comfort zones. Letting go of what you know isn’t the easiest bone to crush. This is where having a close support system to cheer you on comes in handy. It’s important to have two or three people to lean on when it becomes difficult.
For the most part, learning about myself and my proclivities were and is still intriguing and humbling. I have seen myself grow tremendously in such a short time and the biggest takeaway is, external things didn’t need to change for me to experience a more fulfilling life. I’m learning to start where I am, using what I have to become more while enjoying peace, joy and health.

Don’t be afraid to take the first step. Enjoy the process!

This post originally appeared here: https://derajoyce.medium.com/read-this-before-seeing-a-therapist-in-nigeria-223a37389b38

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by TarOrfeeek: 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2021
There is not therapy better than eating Bread and beans opposite WAEC HQ in Yaba.

As in, the sweat that will rush down from your face. The smell of smoke, the sight of NA soldiers who don't have money eyeing your food. Chai

Those things helped my mental health way back.

4 Likes

Re: Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by reedrick01: 4:09pm On Aug 30, 2021
Nice post.. Have some questions if you dont mind?

2 Likes

Re: Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by Derajoyce(f): 11:34am On Sep 27, 2021
Please go ahead. I don't mind at all.
reedrick01:
Nice post.. Have some questions if you dont mind?
Re: Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by JastSiryin(m): 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2022
Could one seek just a diagnosis alone?

1 Like

Re: Read This Before Seeing a Therapist in Nigeria by Akerele44(m): 9:52am On Nov 05, 2022
Derajoyce:
When I decided to see a therapist, it seemed unnecessary. My close friends thought I was handling life reasonably well and didn’t see what I needed to adjust or correct. They weren’t wrong. The preconceived notion of the purpose of therapy in Nigeria is still closely related to witnessing extreme signs and effects of mental disorders, such that, when a person appears outwardly fine and functional, therapy is almost frowned at.
What do you need therapy for? was the question I got.
Still, I knew I wasn’t functioning properly. I knew my coping mechanisms were catching up with me and it was only a matter of time before I crashed. Here’s how I went from decision to my first therapy session. If you intend on taking the steps below, I strongly advise you consider this whole process as a long-term project you’re willing to commit to.

Step One: Decision
Deciding was the scariest part because deciding that I needed therapy meant admitting that there was an issue and I wasn’t equipped to handle it on my own. It also meant becoming willing to pay for therapy and willingly subjecting my mind and emotions to the scrutiny of an outsider. It meant letting go of my coping mechanisms – in time I would come to know that this was the toughest rock to throw away. As an adult, no one can make this decision for you. You have to commit to the process out of your free will.

Step Two: Make a list
Finding a suitable therapist for you. Google is an ally here, however, information on the therapy services offered in Nigeria are scattered across multiple websites and I needed more than one google search to find the right mental health practitioner to work with. First, I googled mental health practitioners/psychologists/psychiatrists in Nigeria and made a list of all the names, numbers, emails and addresses I could find. Luckily, some websites are more explicit than others.

Step Three: Ask Questions
With a list in hand, I narrowed my options to speciality, years of experience, cost, duration of treatment and gut instincts. This is where the emails and phone numbers come in handy. I sent out emails introducing myself, specifically stating where I got their contact and then, requesting the following information:
• Certification
• Years of experience
• Preferred treatment approach including duration, frequency and cost.
It’s important to be clear, direct and polite when requesting information. Keep in mind that you will be paying for these services, as such, ask what you need to know. Fortunately, I got responses almost instantly and for those who didn’t respond via email, I proceeded to call. Make an effort to reply to every email, especially when you do not intend on pursuing the conversation, it’s basic courtesy.

Step Four: Choosing the one
After narrowing my options to two psychologists based on the factors mentioned above. It came down to who I felt comfortable with after talking via phone calls. In this case, follow your gut. The psychologist I choose made me feel a sense of joy and peace, in that moment, that was all I needed.

Step Five: Consultation
As a first-timer, the consultation fee wasn’t cheap. The average fee range from my research was between N15,000 to N30, 000 for one consultation session, scheduled between 45mins to 1 hour. I didn’t know what results to expect, so whatever figure I saw seemed comparatively large compared to ten other things I could be using the same amount for. My rationalization was, my mental health is as important as my physical health and it is 100% my responsibility to take care of myself. Secondly, I considered it an investment on myself with unmeasurable returns on investment. Most therapists will ask for a consultation fee before diagnosis and discussing a treatment plan. In my case, my therapist was based outside of Lagos. I had to travel out of town for an in-person consultation session. There are therapists who offer a virtual consultation option. I opted for an in-person consultation because of its added benefits. An in-person consultation is necessary to carry out an accurate mental health diagnosis, as everything matters including tone of voice, body language, choice of words etc. I welcomed the opportunity of leaving town for a few days as a chance to break my routine and to be fully present.

Step Six: Personal Cross-Examination
The journey from the airport to the therapist’s office was nerve-racking. All I had to compare my expectations of therapy sessions were brief scenes from movies. Not knowing what to expect made me nervous. I walked into cream white walls, a black armchair and a lady smiling broadly across the table. That smile was helpful but, before I knew it, I blurted, “how long will this take? I can spare only four weeks to fix this.” She replied, “we’ll need to first find out what the issue is and take it from there.”

Step Seven: Treatment plan and payment
A day after the consultation session, my therapist emailed the diagnosis from the tests I had taken, together with her proposed treatment plan and costs. Before that, we had discussed the cost of each therapy session during the enquiry process. So, I had an idea of how much to budget. However, it is only after the diagnosis that you can know for sure how many sessions you might need. As stated earlier, the journey to a healthy mental state is 100% your responsibility and it’s important to work with a therapist who ensures you don't forget this.
We scheduled a call to discuss every item on the treatment plan, what I should expect and what frequency might produce the most effective results. I settled for one session per week, spread across twelve weeks.
However, there were three items included in the plan that I didn’t think was necessary, as I had already incorporated those aspects into my daily routine. Next, I made payments for the first six sessions. I did this to test the waters. Most therapists in Nigeria will prefer such bulk payments before commencing treatment. From my research, the average range per session was N10,000 to N35,000.
Please note: There are mental health facilities that offer pre-planned packages for significantly less.

Step Eight: Get a journal
Before therapy I rarely journaled. When I did, there were random thoughts about work. Journaling my thoughts every morning helped me see the thoughts that I ruminated on. In my case, they were neither helpful nor productive. Also, it helped me keep track of my progress from my therapy sessions, the tasks I was given and how well I incorporated those tasks into my daily life. As I said, it’s a project y’all.

Step Nine: Embracing Spirituality
When you begin therapy, one of the things you’d quickly realize is, your therapist cannot change you. The change has to come from within you. What your therapist does is help you navigate your mind, habits, emotions and spot patterns. They help you spot the patterns, label the issue and help you understand how to manage or eliminate the issue. The keyword here is help.
Therapy definitely helped to uncover and label the issues I was facing but it was God who healed my pain. My therapist said how fast a person heals depends on how much they are willing to unlearn. Some people take two months, others take years. On my journey, I found what encored me was the truth that, healing, peace and joy were already available to me and all I had to do was learn how to open myself to them. These weren’t things I had to work hard to achieve because God has already provided these to all His children, and those who believe it, receive it.

Step ten: What to expect
Nothing remains the same after therapy. It could become worse; it should become better but nothing remains the same. It could become worse if you succumb to the temptation to quit. The reason is, often we develop strong coping mechanisms to deal with trauma and the effects of trauma and sometimes, these coping mechanisms become comfort zones. Letting go of what you know isn’t the easiest bone to crush. This is where having a close support system to cheer you on comes in handy. It’s important to have two or three people to lean on when it becomes difficult.
For the most part, learning about myself and my proclivities were and is still intriguing and humbling. I have seen myself grow tremendously in such a short time and the biggest takeaway is, external things didn’t need to change for me to experience a more fulfilling life. I’m learning to start where I am, using what I have to become more while enjoying peace, joy and health.

Don’t be afraid to take the first step. Enjoy the process!

This post originally appeared here: https://derajoyce.medium.com/read-this-before-seeing-a-therapist-in-nigeria-223a37389b38

Ur therapist is at which state ?

(1) (Reply)

How Does One Overcome Addiction? / Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain / Ebo-lie? Shock Claim From Ghanaian Nurse

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.