Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:59 PM

15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) (75751 Views)

Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo) / Andy Uba Lands His Private Jet At Anambra Int'l Airport: Video / World War II Plane Crashes In US Airport, Kills At Least 7 Persons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by ejimatic: 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
Agboriotejoye:
15 Giant Snails Capable Of Causing Rare Forms Of Meningitis Seized At US Airport

https://www.khou.com/article/life/animals/15-giant-snails-capable-of-rare-forms-meningitis-seized-houston-airport/285-621d0663-ee5f-4dd4-8d1c-401fbdb66927

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lke4t1PSCQI
I hope the snalls are not Nigerians who wanted to travel without papers and tickets.Let us be careful grin grin
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by ThuGGeR147: 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
Wahala dey ooh
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by TheWolfen(m): 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
Nahhh you don't get my point... What I am trying to address is black man overly dependant on white. Not everything they say is true. They also do things for selfish reasons which y'all don't know. How many people has snail kill in Nigeria? I ask you? if u do research yourself then u will be sure about your very own research that is what I meant. They said snail destroy crops no doubt but we still manage to even export some of our agricultural products to foreign countries
US own too much abeg. Anyway my 2 kobo. That won't bother me from eating snail anyway.
kramer:

I posted a link to the CDC's website and you're asking me if I still did the research myself? Should I also do my own research into covid before you can believe it exists? Black man indeed
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by olurili(m): 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
Seun:
The US authorities like to exaggerate the danger of African Land snails. The main issue with the snails is that they are an invasive species. When released into a new habitat they can wreck havoc on ecosystems. They eat everything and multiply rapidly. They're not that dangerous. The "meningitis" thing is nothing but a scare tactic, but it's very effective.
tuale baba mi,thanks for giving us world
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Disneyboy: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2021
Faithful007:
Wrong.

They're not only invasive. They carry deadly diseases like schistosomiasis which results in thousands of deaths in Africa.

This is not the specie that carries schistosomia
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Prosperous111(m): 12:29pm On Jul 31, 2021
Seun:
The US authorities like to exaggerate the danger of African Land snails. The main issue with the snails is that they are an invasive species. When released into a new habitat they can wreck havoc on ecosystems. They eat everything and multiply rapidly. They're not that dangerous. The "meningitis" thing is nothing but a scare tactic, but it's very effective.

I hail thee cheesy
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by xelly: 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2021
Just say you see snail now vocab Don dey run Upandan. fear who no fear someone that want to seize something from you.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by infogeneral: 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2021
These are normal snails we eat. If the Oyibos don't want, kindly send them to me.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Ishilove: 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2021
descarado:

Why will she import indomie when all types are in African shops and online. Both made in Nigeria and Ghana
There are some risks that are not worth taking.

If that lady don't eat snail, she will not die. Or rather get dry one. That's a better alternative.

Maybe she wants to breed them or something
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by bigcee(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
osamz007:

Your moderators dey ban me too much this days
grin grin grin
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by bigcee(m): 12:58pm On Jul 31, 2021
kramer:
Update: just realized it was Seun I quoted! Oga sorry sir ok, pls don't ban me grin
Say you dey fear? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by NGArmyTerrorist: 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
illicit:
undecided

They don't know what they are saying
I thought you guys said science is the future! They just told you that "your snail is a poison."
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by SILVERLINES: 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
Without snail Edikan Ikong soup is not complete
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by rapheal5(m): 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2021
Snail wey I chop tire wen I dey small, once rain fall like this we don enter bush dey look for snail, some people dey drink snail saliva sef say e dey medicinal...why I never get meningitis...
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Femeto: 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
grin Some people dey mad o.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by inokia: 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2021
For final disposition wink grin
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by DSC7: 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2021
Ishilove:
I wonder how the snails survived the trip.

She is lucky she was not made to pay destruction fees. grin

Imagine someone being charged $700 in destruction fees for importing 5 cartons of Indomie. Those useless customs officers in Atlanta gave her the option of re-exporting the indomie back to Nigeria, or paying the destruction fees.

She quietly abandoned the indomie for them and did not pick their calls again.

Tell me why someone will carry live snails all the way from Nigeria to US?

But we have been doing that since 2015 grin

Abi u no dey read news?

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by kramer: 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2021
TheWolfen:
Nahhh you don't get my point... What I am trying to address is black man overly dependant on white. Not everything they say is true. They also do things for selfish reasons which y'all don't know. How many people has snail kill in Nigeria? I ask you? if u do research yourself then u will be sure about your very own research that is what I meant. They said snail destroy crops no doubt but we still manage to even export some of our agricultural products to foreign countries
US own too much abeg. Anyway my 2 kobo. That won't bother me from eating snail anyway.

And what makes you think it was a white man who made the research? Why do you feel so threatened by knowledge from developed nations? Are you Boko Haram? Most of the diseases discovered were done so through Western education and the drugs also came from them. Without them millions more will be dying in Africa, talking about polio, smallpox, measles etc. The main target now is malaria which is the number 1 killer in Africa.

Also, just because you haven't come across someone who has died from eating undercooked snails doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What research have you done to prove this? Be wise brother. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by kramer: 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2021
bigcee:

Say you dey fear? grin grin grin

The fear of banning is the beginning of wisdom grin
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by AuroraB(f): 1:34pm On Jul 31, 2021
Seun:
What do you mean
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 1:45pm On Jul 31, 2021
Seun:
It is a "Trade tactic" more than a scare tactic

Beef, pork, chicken etc can ALL carry meningitis if not properly handled

I remember years ago when British beef was banned because it "COULD" cause brain encephalitis

That is where the Trade Minister has to come in and do their job. Gather evidence and marshal their case
America has bullied many countries into accepting genetically modified agricultural produce, chlorine washed chicken and hormone injected beef etc

Even peanuts can cause Liver disease if they carry aspergillus and so there is routine testing for aflatoxin

Having said that
do not think any country should allow individuals carry live snails through airports justa s they would not allow live chickens
There should be a trade channel

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by sematec(m): 1:49pm On Jul 31, 2021
US for just tell us say snake dey hungry them.
Nonsense grammar for justification of seizing the snails and use them for experiments.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by HELLASJ(m): 2:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
These ones small now
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by JoshOxborn: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
Seun:

CEO of Nairaland, i hate to say this but your punctuations sucks.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Emax911: 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
Navix:

You also wasted your own time in replying the unnecessary comment grin

you also wasted your time in replying an unnecessary comment to an unnecessary comment
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 2:21pm On Jul 31, 2021
Faithful007:
Wrong.

They're not only invasive. They carry deadly diseases like schistosomiasis which results in thousands of deaths in Africa.

I think you need to put in context
When you say "they carry" do you have statistics ?

Is there any animal that does not "carry" deadly diseases
Fish carry deadly diseases
as do chickens ducks, shrimp and even groundnuts which "carry" aflatoxin

They "can carry" is a very different statement from

"They Carry"

Humans "carry" deadly diseases like corona virus, Monkey pox, Ebola, HIV, Malaria and so on

By the way if you are going to go around calling people "WRONG" check your facts

This is not the snail that carries schistosomiasis
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Chibuezem(m): 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2021
osamz007:

Your moderators dey ban me too much this days
change your name ni
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2021
Lamasta:

Don't blame them Covid-19 really show them shege so they need to be extra careful what is entering their country cool

This has been going on for some time before Covid and was a serious issue in Miami

A lot of the people carrying live snails probably are not carrying them for food for for religious purposes as they are used in Yoruba traditional religion rituals
If you were taking them for food why not cook them

The Snail was quite a problem in the Glades with millions of dollars spent to control their growth.

1 Like

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by wumi2017(f): 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2021
Meningitis ko,yinrun yinrun ni
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Seun(m): 2:29pm On Jul 31, 2021
JoshOxborn:
CEO of Nairaland, i hate to say this but your punctuations sucks.
That wouldn't surprise me. Could you correct it for me? I want to learn.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by IRALIFE(f): 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2021
She would have cleaned and dried it before leaving now. Maybe she wanted to breed it there. See waste o, they will just through them away.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2021
By the way did you know that snail slime is used in cosmetics and the same US spends millions of dollars a year on it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Dinka, South Sudan: The Tallest People In Africa (Photos) / Welcome To Lagos, Most Beautiful City In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.