Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport (1235 Views)

Udom Promises To Make Akwa Ibom Aviation Hub In West Africa / Work Begins At The Permanent Terminal Building For Victor Attah Airport, Uyo-pic / Akwa Ibom State Governor Renames Int'l Airport After Ex-Governor Victor Attah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Rapsowdee01(m): 11:26am On Jul 24, 2021
The remarkable success that Ibom Air has recorded in less than two years of operation has once again brought to the fore what could be achieved when leaders demonstrate the political will to take decisions on issues they know are in public interest, no matter how unpopular those decisions might appear to be.

The decision by Governor Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom State, in 2019, to establish a government-owned airline wasn’t one that went down well with some people in the state, especially naysayers and cynics who are wont to criticize every of his actions but who, as events have often shown, cannot see what the governor sees while taking those actions. Examples abound all over the state – in infrastructure, industrialisation, healthcare delivery, agriculture, etc – of decisions that were criticised at the beginning, but which have turned out to be in the best interest of the people of the state. Ibom Air is one of them.

The success of Nigeria’s youngest airline, the first to be established by a state government anywhere in Africa, is evident in the fact that it has, within so short a period, won the hearts of air travelers on routes it covers, for its efficiency, quality services, safety, ability to keep to schedules and high level of professionalism by the staff, both on ground and in the air.

The acceptance of the Uyo-based airline by the air travelling public is reflected in the fact that in less than two years of coming into existence, it is operating flights to Abuja, the nation’s capital; Lagos, the country’s commercial nerve centre, Calabar and Enugu. And there are plans to expand the routes, especially with the acquisition, August last year, of the fifth Bombardier CRJ900 sleek-bodied aircraft.

As a regular traveler on the Abuja-Lagos and Abuja-Uyo routes, I have found Ibom Air the ideal airline for today’s busy executive or businessman who has to work at different locations at different times. On the numerous occasions I have used the airline on those routes, I cannot remember when I had to contend with flight delays, which could sometimes run into hours – something that is common with some airlines.

Apart from the Abuja-Lagos route which is the busiest in the country, on which all the airlines operate more than one flight daily, the Abuja-Uyo route is the other one on which I can travel return, same day, and only on Ibom Air. I do not face the need to pass the night in the Akwa Ibom State capital because there is no return flight outside the state when I am done with the business that takes me there. I do so only when it is dictated by the length of time I would spend in the state.

Apart from the revenue Ibom Air would generate, including foreign exchange, there is the public relations angle of taking the name of the state beyond the shores of Nigeria when it commences international operations with flights to Ghana, Cameroun, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Sao Tome and Principe, etc.

An important factor that has made Ibom Air a success story in such a time is the absence of government control in its day-to-day operations. The government made it clear from inception that the airline was set up as a business concern. It engaged the services of professionals who are knowledgeable about aviation business, and have a free hand to run the airline as a private-sector entity.

Ibom Air is one of the channels through which the government hopes to make Akwa Ibom an aviation hub in West Africa. The other channel is the Victor Attah International Airport. The government’s commitment to making this plan a reality could be seen in the speed with which it is pursuing construction of the airport’s new terminal building which has commissioning date of December, 2021. The new building is designed to be able to cope with the volume of passengers it is expected to handle when international flight operations begin in February, 2022.

A major plank that will stimulate business at the airport is the MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) facility for which the government has awarded a contract for its construction. The facility is expected to be a game changer in the drive to make the state and aviation hub, considering the fact that there is none of its kind in the whole of West Africa.

The economic benefits of the MRO are going to be quite enormous. It will save and earn foreign exchange for the country, respectively, as local airlines and those owned by western and central African countries will now have maintenance and servicing of their aircraft handled at the facility. The facility will not only generate employment for the youths of the state, it will also provide opportunity for them to acquire skills that meet international standards in aircraft repairs and maintenance, and make them marketable even outside the state.

An airport that compares with those in other parts of the world will present Akwa Ibom as a state with the right infrastructure that is required for investments to thrive. This is what investors need to respond positively to the government’s investment drive. When this happens, the state will be the batter for it in terms of industrialisation, job creation and improved standard of living.

Source: https://independent.ng/driving-aviation-hub-in-uyo-with-ibom-air-victor-attah-airport/

2 Likes

Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by gtrust: 11:33am On Jul 24, 2021
WOW
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Iriruaga100(m): 11:39am On Jul 24, 2021
Impressive design not the warehouse built in Anambra!

4 Likes

Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by MajesticKris: 12:05pm On Jul 24, 2021
High blood pressure will finish some people ooh...

The one in Anambra isn't functioning yet... But they're already Wailing tongue

What you don't know is that!!
That warehouse they're still arranging in Anambra,will out shine all other airport in the country.. within 6months...

LAGOS is already over crowded! And new business will move to a different location...

Iriruaga100:
Impressive design not the warehouse built in Anambra!

3 Likes

Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by leofab(f): 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2021
All theories less practice
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Ezejichinaks: 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2021
This is impressive from the governor
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Mzzsimee008(f): 12:33pm On Jul 24, 2021
Having an airline in a state, well shows the growth of the state. So for me, this is a good move by the governor Udom. I'm sure he has more establishment in stock for us

1 Like

Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Xwarith: 12:33pm On Jul 24, 2021
This a very Nice initiative coming from Governor Udom
Kudos sir
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Talkingmafia: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2021
Udom Emmanuel is doing a remarkable job in the aviation sector amongst others in the state and I hope the next administration will continue the good works he has started.
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Fbmatt09: 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2021
I'm so impressed with all his achievements so far
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by VictoryAlex(m): 12:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
I can attest to this. One of the best airlines in the country. Nice one Gov Udom Emmanuel
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by femoboy(m): 12:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
The man of the people......Kudos to you
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Ferolad1: 12:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
Udom keeps setting and breaking records beyond reasonable doubt .. Thanks for catapulting akwa ibom to a greater heights sage!
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Aduramigbemi: 12:36pm On Jul 24, 2021
Governor Udom Emmanuel doing great things in Akwa Ibom. He is surely the best at his job. A wonderful Governor �
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Spleez: 12:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
This such a lovely thing to talk about, Udom is working around the clock to make something nice out of akwa ibom. Best administration so far
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Rotimiojoadedir: 12:38pm On Jul 24, 2021
One of the best airlines in the country. Nice one Gov Udom Emmanuel
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Realest425: 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2021
This is very impressive, if they are able to achieve this, it a big kudos to the governor
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Oyedoyin2004: 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2021
This is such a good news we love to hear. Thank you my gov
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Samuelpresh: 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2021
The way Gov Udom has made the state a place of attraction is really commendable
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by foloflow(m): 12:45pm On Jul 24, 2021
Governor Udom is really doing wonders in Akwa Ibom check this out Na shocked
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Spleez: 12:45pm On Jul 24, 2021
I really commend your effort on this development my Gov, you're so amazing udom Emmanuel. Thank you so much
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by ebunluv2021: 12:45pm On Jul 24, 2021
The Governor just keeps doing things to develop the state
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by davidzeelux88: 12:46pm On Jul 24, 2021
Big ups to Governor Udom Emmanuel for the way he effortlessly drives develops to the state. Indeed the people of akwa ibom are proud
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by wandyj007(m): 12:47pm On Jul 24, 2021
Good governance isn't hard! Udom setting example��
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Leribb: 12:47pm On Jul 24, 2021
Excellent job from governor emmanuel
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Cocogravy: 12:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
Udom has been doing extremely impressive things in akwa ibom
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by demiii: 12:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
It's only a matter of time before before everyone starts to appreciate governor Udom Emmanuel for his efforts towards the development of Akwa Ibom state aviation sector.
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Dejisama: 12:51pm On Jul 24, 2021
Udom has really done well. Surely Akwa Ibom is progressing with him.
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by ernesterioo(f): 12:52pm On Jul 24, 2021
Udom continues to create and break records that are beyond rational question... Thank you Gov for propelling Akwa Ibom to greater heights.
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by jabdull(m): 12:53pm On Jul 24, 2021
Akwa Ibom is really turning to a world class city with the help of Governor Udom
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by MzthaGoody(m): 12:53pm On Jul 24, 2021
Having an airline in a state, well shows the growth of the state. So for me, this is a good move by the governor Udom. I'm sure he has more establishment in stock for us
Re: Driving Aviation Hub In Uyo With Ibom Air, Victor Attah Airport by Bashorunghaar: 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2021
Governor Udom Emmanuel is really striving hard to make akwa ibom a better state among all the states in Nigeria. He’s indeed a good man and a man of virtue. He deserves the governor of the year award

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is In Charge In The SE? Ipob Terrorists Or The Elected Governors? / Why It's The South So Selfish? / Anambra Vigilante Youth Enforcing Anti-Open Grazing Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.