Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion (4164 Views)

Wole Soyinka! Igbo Have Successfully Turned Entire Yoruba Race Against Self / If Igbo’s Have Functional Sea Port In Igbo Land - Obasanjo / International Guardian Calls Atiku "An Established Thief" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 10:19am On Jul 25, 2021
These were Igbo currencies before the foreigners introduced their own.

It is called "okpogho". The whiteman tagged it as "bracelet manilla"

Another Igbo word for it is "ego igwe" (iron-money)

Iron is smithened to form it. It's of different types. Each has currency discrepancy.

What do I mean? They measure the high currency base on different factors. It could be the weight, the design.

When someone is rich today people will say: "o nwere ego igwe". It is because of this currency. Or you will hear "o nwere okpogho/,okpogo" (he's wealthy)

The other one is ego ayọrọ (cowries). The Igbo migrated from okpogho to ego ayọrọ. It served as money. You exchange goods and services through this.

The word "ego" became prominent following the introduction of coin and paper money.

There is a town in Ezeagụ, Enugwu State called Okpogho. The town is known for producing Okpogho currency. They were like CBN.

Mazi ogbonnaya okoro

17 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Arda1000(m): 10:41am On Jul 25, 2021
Thanks for the info

7 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by esnbrutality: 11:23am On Jul 25, 2021
Great Tribe ..GOOD PEOPLE.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by velocity25(m): 11:31am On Jul 25, 2021
Umu-Igbo ndi-oma
The only Race/Tribe that was called The great Ibo Race by the British.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by pacino26(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Iron is smithened to form it. It's of different types. Each has currency discrepancy.

What do I mean? They measure the high currency base on different factors. It could be the weight, the design.

When someone is rich today people will say: "o nwere ego igwe". It is because of this currency. Or you will hear "o nwere okpogho/,okpogo" (he's wealthy)

The other one is ego ayọrọ (cowries). The Igbo migrated from okpogho to ego ayọrọ. It served as money. You exchange goods and services through this.

The word "ego" became prominent following the introduction of coin and paper money.

There is a town in Ezeagụ, Enugwu State called Okpogho. The town is known for producing Okpogho currency. They were like CBN.

Mazi ogbonnaya okoro

This post wouldn't have been complete without mentioning that town in bold. They served as the modern day CBN in Igboland.

Good to see people bringing up our history. The white demonized our civilization and way of life to imprint his.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by RiceProducers: 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2021
pacino26:

This post wouldn't have been complete without mentioning that town in bold. They served as the modern day CBN in Igboland.

Good to see people bringing up our history. The white demonized our civilization and way of life to imprint his.

Every ethnic nationality had a currency before "colonial masters".

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Tinubuadvocate: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2021
[s]
Investigative:

Mazi ogbonnaya okoro
[/s]

Stop masturbating on history you guys from east twisting history and that's the major problem facing the east today.Those currencies own by Yoruba people.

The first one call golu
The second one call owo ide or owo eyo.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by pacino26(m): 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2021
RiceProducers:

I agree with you, more reason history should be returned to the academic curriculum.
Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 1:18pm On Jul 25, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s]

Stop masturbating on history you guys from east twisting history and that's the major problem facing the east today.Those currencies own by Yoruba people.

The first one call golu
Not only that you are dumb,to think an impostor like you would want me to drag Yoruba
Please
Werey no dey disguise

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by leofab(f): 2:07pm On Jul 25, 2021
Interesting
Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by BKayy: 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
RiceProducers:

Show us yours. Don't hate with style

9 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Ceenaija(m): 3:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s]

The first one call golu

Talk and Marshall out your point reasonably,stop abusing.

1 Like

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Naigleria: 3:52pm On Jul 25, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s]

The first one call golu

I don’t think that Yoruba people advanced pass barter trade or maybe I have to do a deep research cuz I’m not finding any evidence of a documented precolonial Yoruba currency

1 Like

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by theTranscriber: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2021
Naigleria:

I don’t think that Yoruba people advanced pass barter trade or maybe I have to do a deep research cuz I’m not finding any evidence of a precolonial Yoruba currency
don't start this
Yoruba system of money is far more complex than Igbo
What is 1million in Igbo language? grin

Don't ever try to put Yoruba as your mate again
Or I will school your lineage grin angry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Almaigaa: 4:10pm On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Mazi ogbonnaya okoro

Bini People slave. By that time, Bini People were making millions as they sell Biafrans as slaves. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Bini People Amaka grin

15 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by abes(m): 4:20pm On Jul 25, 2021
Naigleria:

I don’t think that Yoruba people advanced pass barter trade or maybe I have to do a deep research cuz I’m not finding any evidence of a precolonial Yoruba currency

Revisionism on steroids.
I really blame Ajayi Crowther.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 4:34pm On Jul 25, 2021
Almaigaa:

Bini People slave. By that time, Bini People were making millions as they sell Biafrans as slaves. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Bini People Amaka grin
Hahahah
Benin people that we taught metal crafting
Benin that we taught our four days calendar
Orie
Afor
Nkwo
Eke
Benin that was captured by Britain in not less than 30 mins drill
Benin that is not upto to a local government in east
Brother please change your weed supplier

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 4:41pm On Jul 25, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
[s][/s]

The first one call golu
Hahahahhahaha
Portuguese was the first European in Nigeria
And Yoruba couldn’t provide a commodity they could buy
Only later after 30 years + they manage to engage in slave trade
Yoruba are not good business men hence have no reason to have a currency
Also have none
Yoruba are not known for metal casting how did they produce
Metal money
Ego igwe
During this period
Northerners are still dealing with Dan Fodio

8 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Naigleria: 4:45pm On Jul 25, 2021
abes:

Revisionism on steroids.
I really blame Ajayi Crowther.

Show us the currency na cheesy

Difficulty: impossible

1 Like

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Yaribanzaonic: 4:45pm On Jul 25, 2021
THIS IGBO people sef....everywhere PROGRESS....EVERYWHERE NICE!!

@investigative please keep churning out these details and data, that shows emphatically that the IGBO race was already Light years ahead of the rest.

What is happening to IGBO people in Nigeria is Just PLAIN HATE...and when they say they want to leave the same people will start gallivanting up and dan with their useless sophistication and almajiri Nonsense.!!!

@investigative , keep dishing it out in RAW form...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 4:48pm On Jul 25, 2021
Yaribanzaonic:
THIS IGBO people sef....everywhere PROGRESS....EVERYWHERE NICE!!

@investigative please keep churning out these details and data, that shows emphatically that the IGBO race was already Light years ahead of the rest.

What is happening to IGBO people in Nigeria is Just PLAIN HATE...and when they say they want to leave the same people will start gallivanting up and dan with their useless sophistication and almajiri Nonsense.!!!

@investigative , keep dishing it out in RAW form...
Fact speak
Days of lies and propaganda are gone

4 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 25, 2021
When we are talking about civilizations and commerce. Hausa Yoruba and Bini no be Igbo mate at all! Hausa and yoruba for example control trade route from here to Timbuku to Tripoli. Oyo had relationship with Gobir, nupe, igala hausa kanuri and even fulani, Google this and find out. The highest igbo trader had travel was into their conqueror kingdom Igala and into Cameroon.

Don't start what you can't finish. It's rain(lugard) that brought bird and hen together, them no be mate.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 5:12pm On Jul 25, 2021
SlyDev:
When we are talking about civilizations and commerce. Hausa Yoruba and Bini no be Igbo mate at all! Hausa and yoruba for example control trade route from here to Timbuku to Tripoli. Oyo had relationship with Gobir, nupe, igala hausa kanuri and even fulani, Google this and find out. The highest igbo trader had travel was into their conqueror kingdom Igala and into Cameroon.

Don't start what you can't finish. It's rain(lugard) that brought bird and hen together, them no be mate.
Hausa were trading leather?
And most buyers are Arab who visit to buy from them
Which prompted spies that disguise as trader to invade hausa kingdom
Hausa are not travelers
Till now they are not traveller
The farthest they can go then is within their kingdom
And the farthest they can go now is going to Lagos
please can you list the commodity these unknown people trade on
Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Hausa were trading leather?
And most buyers are Arab who visit to buy from them
Which prompted spies that disguise as trader to invade hausa kingdom
Hausa are not travelers
Till now they are not traveller
The farthest they can go then is within their kingdom
And the farthest they can go now is going to Lagos

Hausa are not travellers? Okay o mazi investigativee. You are a lost case, I can't waste my time... But lemme list what they make and trade

The cloth that most sahel dweller wear, from taureg to fulani to Sudan, na hausa make am, horse saddle na them dey make am. Leather, shoes, crops livestock and many other things.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 5:18pm On Jul 25, 2021
SlyDev:

Hausa are not travellers? Okay o mazi investigativee. You are a lost case, I can't waste my time
Till now they are not traveler
Am not here for folklore and mythology
Hausa are people who always carve a niche for themselves and feel uncomfortable outside their niche hence never wish or dislike traveling unlike igbos
Who have touched
Almost all part of the world
Then and now
A man regarded as father of igbo GAD travels miles from Northern Africa down to this place
Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Hausa are people who always carve a niche for themselves and feel uncomfortable outside their niche hence never wish or dislike traveling unlike igbos
Who have touched
Then and now

Hausa are every where doing business, even in your region, they are many in Yoruba land, sometime you can't differentiate them from Yoruba. From Nigeria to Niger, Mali Ghana Sudan there is no where you won't find Hausa.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2021
SlyDev:

Hausa are not travellers? Okay o mazi investigativee. You are a lost case, I can't waste my time... But lemme list what they make and trade

The cloth that most sahel dweller wear, from taureg to fulani to Sudan, na hausa make am, horse saddle na them dey make am. Leather, shoes, crops livestock and many other things.
Igbos are also known as craft men even bronze and metals found in Benin are of igbo origin
Igbos also made clothes called
Akwette
And we sold to the Portuguese before the British invaders

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Who have touched
Then and now
A man regarded as father of igbo GAD travels miles from Northern Africa down to this place

Gad ko gaddafi ni.... You said you don't want folktales and you are here telling me gad lmao gaurdiola ni

2 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2021
SlyDev:

Hausa are every where doing business, even in your region, they are many in Yoruba land, sometime you can't differentiate them from Yoruba. From Nigeria to Niger, Mali Ghana Sudan there is no where you won't find Hausa.
Hausa and igbo who are the most traveling tribe?
Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Investigative: 5:24pm On Jul 25, 2021
SlyDev:

Gad ko gaddafi ni.... You said you don't want folktales and you are here telling me gad lmao gaurdiola ni
Evidence are there
The first Nigeria flag by Britain
Star of David was inscribed on it
It was a symbol of authority in igbo religion and culture
Gad brought it
Till now it is still a symbol of authority in some part of igbo land

2 Likes

Re: Igbo have an established currency before the British Invasion by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:

Igbos are also known as craft men even bronze and metals found in Benin are of igbo origin
Igbos also made clothes called
Akwette
And we sold to the Portuguese before the British invaders

Most of bronze found buried in igbo land are from Bini. See me see wahala, dey know your place

igbo make cloth? Yet they were naked in 19/20th century? How come. Igbo got limited cloth because they got them through exchange with other goods they have. You didn't sold shit to Portuguese rather the are the one that brought the cloth to you.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures: Meet Sonia Ike Ekweremadu's / List Of Muslims That Have Held Top Government Positions In Southeast Since 1999 / The Black Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.