Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss (1706 Views)

Imagine A World Without Christmas / The Only Country In The World Without A Single Church / Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
All the poor or some of the poor? undecided
i meant the poor as a collective, not as individuals. meaning there is no point trying to help the poor (as if we can eradicate poverty), rather i encourage us to help individuals around us as much as we can.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by LordReed(m): 5:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
With our current level of technology it is possible but potential is different from actual. To actually enter such a state would require willpower I don't think is currently in evidence.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:18pm On Jul 25, 2021
Karleb:
Your take is wrong.

People can be poor for a lot of factors.

Take for example, in the north, the elites and government encourages and grow poverty en mass via religion fanatism and ignorance.

An average poor northerner thinks education is haram and poverty is the will of Allah.

In Nigeria as a whole, the government is responsible for most of the poverty, so how then do you say the poor should not be pitied?

In the south, people are being owed salaries for months, some pensioners are yet to receive kobo after years of retirements.

The only set of people that should not be pitied are the lazy and poor.

that is why i openned this thread to listen to opinions and insights of people like you. thanks for the insight.
as for not having pity for the poor, i still stand on that. when you interact with the "poor" (i am not rich by the way), you realize the are not willing to be liberated, they generally have a mindset of getting handouts. the only exceptions being those who are fighting to get out of their situation and who are also willing to learn, change their mindset and make the sacrifices necessary.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:22pm On Jul 25, 2021
LordReed:
With our current level of technology it is possible but potential is different from actual. To actually enter such a state would require willpower I don't think is currently in evidence.
i honestly think poverty can be eradicated but it would mean reducing the world's population not because resources are not enough, but to create a more accountable society. i think we are were we are because there is no accountability. how do people without means give birth? even animals only multiply where resources are abundant, but we humans expect others to carry our burdens. i think we need a society where parents are arrested for giving birth to children they cannot take care of. if we live with this level of accountability, we can really bring poverty down to the minimum if not totally.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:47pm On Jul 25, 2021
HardMirror:
Please note this thread is not for everyone and you are not obligated to comment if you are not going to stay on topic.
I have thought about this several times and wondered why as supposedly intelligent animals, we are unable to get our act together and eradicate issues such as poverty.
so i came up with several factors i think are the problem.
so let us imagine we can all start afresh and give everyone the same amount of money around the world, would this solve the problem?
for one, money aint a real thing, money is just like a contract or should i say a receipt that is guaranteeing that product and services can be provided at the issuance of the receipt and that that receipt was earned by provision of product and services.
this means even if we all have the same amount of money, we would get separated based on products and services we can provide and exchange, hence we would soon fine the smarter people in society collecting the money in the hands of others and soon, we are back to the problem of having poor people. in my opinion, poor people deserve to be poor, they cannot be helped and should not be pitied. what is your take?

Poverty is the result of greed and selfishness in the heart of imperfect humans.
We don't need to accumulate wealth if we are truly wise.
If there's equity each person will feel like seeing that his/her neighbour is living fine so that nothing will make your neighbour envious of you.
Remember that whatever you accumulate will be transferred to people who don't know you or how far you went to accumulate the riches at death! 1Timothy 6:7-10
Most people think they are justified once they transfer the possessions to their blood relations. But does that satisfies their anxiety for riches?
Well let's say each human see his/her neighbour as a child of someone so dear to him, how will he/she treat treat such a person?
I will quote a phrase in your post:
"Intelligent Animals"
From the look of things are we truly intelligent when we can't live together in peace?
Are we truly intelligent if we must cage ourselves behind high walls with iron bars?
Are we truly intelligent if we have to employ wild beasts to scare away our kind simply because of materials that we can't own forever?
Are we truly intelligent if we have to spend our resources, time and effort that's supposed to be used for making good things on destructive devices that could wipe away an entire city?
Are we truly intelligent when we are plagued by deadly STDs all because of indiscriminate casual mating?

The answer is obvious Sir, humans are not capable of setting standards that will bring us lasting happiness {Jeremiah 10:23} we need the wisest being (God) to set standards for us! Isaiah 48:17-18

Thanks for your time! smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by LordReed(m): 5:50pm On Jul 25, 2021
HardMirror:
i honestly think poverty can be eradicated but it would mean reducing the world's population not because resources are not enough, but to create a more accountable society. i think we are were we are because there is no accountability. how do people without means give birth? even animals only multiply where resources are abundant, but we humans expect others to carry our burdens. i think we need a society where parents are arrested for giving birth to children they cannot take care of. if we live with this level of accountability, we can really bring poverty down to the minimum if not totally.

While I don't think we need to be so drastic as to reduce the world population, I do agree that population control by restricting births will probably be one of the methods that will have to be employed. Which underscores why I said the willpower is lacking.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Image123(m): 11:35pm On Jul 25, 2021
HardMirror:

Assuming all people unmarried, barren or having one child are all rich and none poor. Stop kidding around, i was beginning to say you matured my man.
See all these "stinkingly" rich men for Nigeria as their family brothers and sisters long like river.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Image123(m): 11:50pm On Jul 25, 2021
LordReed:

Lol and facepalms at the same time. Technology to eradicate poverty, hahahahahaha my belle ohhhhhh. It's unfortunate one of us serves God while the other serves god.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by God2man2again(m): 6:15am On Jul 26, 2021
Biblical reference, Genesis 11:6 from the story of the building of the Tower of Babel depicted that human beings are capable of doing anything that they have determined to do.

Genesis 11:6 " And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."

God has handed over the Earth to man, it depends on what we do with it.

In another climate, I mean South Korea, faeces are being used to eradicate poverty. They turned their challenges to opportunity.

Here, it is an environmental hazards.

It depends on the way we perceive things

With determination, organization, good thinking, unity and will power, poverty can be eradicated.

However, human beings are limited due to the higher powers influencing our decisions making target after being enticed by our evil desires,like greed, we are left with no other options.

One man has in his account what a whole community can use to build infrastructure.

Where do we go from here? Which way to go?
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 10:18am On Jul 26, 2021
LordReed:

While I don't think we need to be so drastic as to reduce the world population, I do agree that population control by restricting births will probably be one of the methods that will have to be employed. Which underscores why I said the willpower is lacking.
irresponsibility to me is the primary cause of poverty. that is why if all the worlds resources were equally share to everyone, some people would squander it and return to poverty. if people lived responsibly, we would better manage and grow the resources we have. I am still not convinced that poor people need to stop giving birth.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by LordReed(m): 10:42am On Jul 26, 2021
HardMirror:
irresponsibility to me is the primary cause of poverty. that is why if all the worlds resources were equally share to everyone, some people would squander it and return to poverty. if people lived responsibly, we would better manage and grow the resources we have. I am still not convinced that poor people need to stop giving birth.

The way to do it would not be to give direct money payments but to create systems by which everyone gets to receive whatever they need like housing, food, clothing, transportation, etc. We have the technology to do this.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2021
HardMirror:

That's where EQUITY comes in!
People should be respected no matter their level of intelligence since they're part and parcel of the human race we must all bear their condition and make sure they get the best no matter how low their IQ!
That's what will help us live as a family.
Note that in the same family of a billionaire all his children will be given equal privileges yet he wouldn't allow the dullard amongst his own children to suffer all because he/she is not as intelligent as others.
Let's apply the same logic in the human society and see the outcome! smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Seun(m): 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2021
If you define the poor as the least wealthy people in a society, you cannot end poverty. There's no practical definition of poverty that can be applied across space and time. Some people considered poor in one country would be rich if they made the same amount of money in another country. Some people considered poor in 2021 enjoy more pleasant and luxurious lives than people considered rich in 1821.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Codedrock(m): 4:43pm On Jul 26, 2021
Seun:
If you define the poor as the least wealthy people in a society, you cannot end poverty. There's no practical definition of poverty that applied across space and time. Some people considered poor in one country would be rich if they made the same amount of money in another country. Some people considered poor in 2021 enjoy more pleasant and luxurious lives than people considered rich in 1821.
I think we can always define poverty based on the present. I am sure we can all agree there are people who can't afford 3 or even 2 square meals daily are in poverty

People who cant afford shelter (many) globally

I know it is hard to define but some lacks dont need much thinking to conclude this is poverty

AND TO ANSWER THE OP's QUESTION, YES ABSOLUTELY WE CAN ERADICATE IT AND I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT FEEDING AND SHELTER
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2021
Codedrock:

AND TO ANSWER THE OP's QUESTION, YES ABSOLUTELY WE CAN ERADICATE IT AND I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT FEEDING AND SHELTER
How? undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by CodeTemplar: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2021
There is indeed no fixed boundary for poverty. Nobel Laurette Jesus said "the poor will always be with you" meaning there will always be poor people. Even if you credit every human with same amount for a fresh start some will quickly become poor again because of lifestyle.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Lonelypacifist6: 8:12pm On Jul 26, 2021
Poverty cannot be eradicated as long as there's disparity in income levels, abilities, needs etc, it is human nature to have the extremely privileged and less privileged in the Same society.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Lonelypacifist6: 8:17pm On Jul 26, 2021
HardMirror:

do you think Bill Gates is right that is we cut the world population enough, we can actually solve social problems such as poverty? i think it is a possibility. we can have a world where some people are very rich but at least we can also have a world where no one is too poor to take care of their fundamental needs is people would just stop giving birth to children they cannot care for.
No it's impossible, you'll just have less People with More money in circulation. Poverty is what keeps the balance of the financial world, some people must be poor enough to want to work for their needs, If you give them their needs they won't work.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by A001: 8:24pm On Jul 26, 2021
CodeTemplar:
There is indeed no fixed boundary for poverty. Nobel Laurette Jesus said "the poor will always be with you" meaning there will always be poor people. Even if you credit every human with same amount for a fresh start some will quickly become poor again because of lifestyle.
Nobel Laurette Jesus? Lols. Do fictitious characters like Jesus now get awarded a Nobel prize?

Do you even know when Nobel prize started? Lols

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Dtruthspeaker: 8:26pm On Jul 26, 2021
Yes, it is!

But not this one and surely not with the kind of people who are abundant on the earth.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Dtruthspeaker: 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2021
HardMirror:

I have thought about this several times and wondered why as supposedly intelligent animals, we are unable to get our act together and eradicate issues such as poverty.

You are intelligent beings but among you are the disobedient, the cheats, the liars, the lazy, the uncooperative, the ambitious who seek to dominate and rule others, who shall always be these things.

HardMirror:

so let us imagine we can all start afresh and give everyone the same amount of money around the world, would this solve the problem?

No! Because those are spoke of above will still go to work on how they can i
In-poverty you whilst they in-rich themselves and rule you.

HardMirror:

for one, money aint a real thing, money is just like a contract or should i say a receipt that is guaranteeing that product and services can be provided at the issuance of the receipt and that that receipt was earned by provision of product and services.
this means even if we all have the same amount of money, we would get separated based on products and services we can provide and exchange, hence we would soon fine the smarter people in society collecting the money in the hands of others and soon, we are back to the problem of having poor people.

Which is where Slavery begins and they will get you to do all the work while they eat the gains thereof!

HardMirror:

in my opinion, poor people deserve to be poor, they cannot be helped and should not be pitied.

what is your take?

See why you are evil and God is Gooder? He says no one should be poor, the poor should be provided for.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by hahn(m): 9:11pm On Jul 26, 2021
HardMirror:
Please note this thread is not for everyone and you are not obligated to comment if you are not going to stay on topic.

this means even if we all have the same amount of money, we would get separated based on products and services we can provide and exchange, hence we would soon fine the smarter people in society collecting the money in the hands of others and soon, we are back to the problem of having poor people.

in my opinion, poor people deserve to be poor, they cannot be helped and should not be pitied.

what is your take?

This should be in the business section undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by CodeTemplar: 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2021
A001:

Nobel Laurette Jesus? Lols. Do fictitious characters like Jesus now get awarded a Nobel prize?

Do you even know when Nobel prize started? Lols
I gave bro J a posthumous one. He spit so much wisdom while on earth.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 26, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
Well you have to consider that the poor people in the world are the majority while the rich are just a few minority of the population if the poor were to stop giving birth then majority of the population will be greatly reduced.... undecided
then secondly majority of the rich got rich in the first place by exploiting the poor without the poor people they will be nobody to exploit... We are all just connected in some way...

How do people exploit the poor to get rich?

The rich exploit labour not the poor
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by shadeyinka(m): 5:43am On Jul 27, 2021
HardMirror:

what is your take?
Humans are born selfish!

Either cure the infection (selfishness)
or
Until a situation where no one own anything, poverty will be for some people and surplus will be for others
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:52am On Jul 27, 2021
shadeyinka:

Humans are born selfish!

Either cure the infection (selfishness)
or
Until a situation where no one own anything, poverty will be for some people and surplus will be for others
are you saying people should work for money and just start distributing the money to others?
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:54am On Jul 27, 2021
hahn:

This should be in the business section undecided
no. This is Philosophical, i just had to put it in a simple way for people to understand and think about.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 5:59am On Jul 27, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You are intelligent beings but among you are the disobedient, the cheats, the liars, the lazy, the uncooperative, the ambitious who seek to dominate and rule others, who shall always be these things.

disobedient to who or what? all these things you describe perfectly fits the definition of christians, muslims and atheists alike,.. i mean humans,..duh!

Dtruthspeaker:

No! Because those are spoke of above will still go to work on how they can i
In-poverty you whilst they in-rich themselves and rule you.

Which is where Slavery begins and they will get you to do all the work while they eat the gains thereof!

See why you are evil and God is Gooder? He says no one should be poor, the poor should be provided for.
what load of nonsense! what is your god doing to make the world a better place? all efforts to make the world better has been made by humans and not an imaginary god

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 6:11am On Jul 27, 2021
Lonelypacifist6:
No it's impossible, you'll just have less People with More money in circulation. Poverty is what keeps the balance of the financial world, some people must be poor enough to want to work for their needs, If you give them their needs they won't work.
poverty is not about the financial world or financial structures we have in place. it is about resource control. in a world without money, you would still have beggars.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by HardMirror(m): 6:19am On Jul 27, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

That's where EQUITY comes in!
People should be respected no matter their level of intelligence since they're part and parcel of the human race we must all bear their condition and make sure they get the best no matter how low their IQ!
That's what will help us live as a family.
Note that in the same family of a billionaire all his children will be given equal privileges yet he wouldn't allow the dullard amongst his own children to suffer all because he/she is not as intelligent as others.
Let's apply the same logic in the human society and see the outcome! smiley
That is not how respect works. everyone gets a chance at respect, you either build it or lose it.
as for family supporting the weak ones in the family, that is exactly why i pinned poverty on the poor giving birth to children they cannot take care of. if we all create a responsibility system, where people bring in children to this world that they can be responsible for and fully support to independence and these children also do the same, then we would live in a better society. if those who cannot be responsible are cut off from breeding, then we stem their irresponsibilty to them only and not to another generation.
Re: Is It Possible To Have A World Without Poverty? Lets Discuss by shadeyinka(m): 6:21am On Jul 27, 2021
HardMirror:

are you saying people should work for money and just start distributing the money to others?
No sir!
The fundamental sickness of man is selfishness!

We acquire more than what we need to look better, higher, bigger and ahead of our neighbours. As long as this trait exists, inequality will be the de facto state of humans!

Selfishness lead to Greediness and Evil

Have you ever seen anyone hoarding AIR (for breathing)?
It belongs to no one and cannot be controlled by anyone: thus with respect to air, we all live at peace. No one feel superior or inferior to others by the air he is breath's.
Who owns the greatest air or least air in the world?

Selfishness make a man to take care of only matters that concern him (his children, friends, family) while ignoring others.

That is why Jesus said the greatest commandment is LOVE!
Matt22:34-39
Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. ' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Anything that can be hoarded is man's problem caused by his selfishness.
Anything that can be distributed or controlled by man will be his problem due to his selfishness

Love (as a command here on earth) is the temporary cure of selfishness
Resurrection after Death is a permanent cure for selfishness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Everyday Prayer.please Share Yours. / Ogaga4luv Declared Wanted! / Need A Free Jar Cellbook Mobile Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.