Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Fashola Strikes Again - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Strikes Again (9475 Views)

Boko Haram Strikes Again In Adamawa, Burns Down Military Artillery / Nigerian Air Force Strikes Boko Haram Terrorist’s Vehicle Workshop / Rivers Poll : Tribunal Strikes Out APC's Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Strikes Again by skyone(m): 10:11am On May 14, 2011
How many years in prison if you steal from the government? undecided
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Gbenge77(m): 10:14am On May 14, 2011
pro01:

This is a stu.pi.d law from beginning to end. If you want to get rid of beggars, why not get them off the streets into social centres that at least guarantees them free meals and vocational training? Having failed in your responsibility in that regard, you cannot now arrest a person that chooses to give alms to misfortunate people. There is no body that is officially tagged or designated as a 'beggar' in the eyes of the law. . .so how enforceable is this idiotic law? Besides the constitution (which is the grund norm) guarantees me freedom of association. . .which includes the right to 'associate' with homeless or unprivileged people; to all intents and purposes, therefore, this idiotic law is inconsistent with the constitution, and is accordingly null & void. Even in the USA there are destitutes and homeless people in street corners who solicit and receive alms from sympathetic passers' by. But again, Nigeria always likes to come first from behind in everything st.upid.

I would go out right now and give alms to any beggar I see; I challenge any goon of the Lagos state government to arrest me so that I would challenge the foolish law in court. I wonder when Nigeria would learn to develop methodically and stop this all-too-familiar knee-jerk approach of always putting the cart before the horse. Absolute nonsense.

dont you know that those beggars constitute a menace?Some of them are beleived to have built houses from begging proceeds.How should that be condoned?
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by chamber2(m): 10:21am On May 14, 2011
I agree with Fashola on this one. We need to reduce the menace of street begging. I remember driving from Lekki to VI in traffic and I saw someone with an inflammation of the scrotum sitting in the middle of the road and begging for alms! The inflamed scrotum was exposed and everybody including children were exposed to the terrible sight. DAMN!!! I was pissed off. In Lagos, you find cripples gliding along with cars on their "skate boards". They pose a lot of danger to themselves and to commuters.

The law has to be used to organize them or stamp them out of Lagos else, they will keep coming in their droves. Why should one state carry the weight of the nation's foolishness. An irresponsible sharia system churns out some of these amputees and they end up in Lagos. Let them go back to their home and let their system take care of them.  If it becomes a nightmare for them in Lagos, they will think twice before coming. If they decide to go to other states, let the other states deal with it. I hope they too will take a cue from Lagos.

If we want to be developed as a nation, we have to start controlling these things seriously. You cannot just sit in the middle of the road in New York and beg for alms. You cannot sit on a skate board in London and hang on to any car that goes by. Those who need help are catered for by a welfare system and are not on the streets. Alms collection points can be placed in strategic locations around the city to make it easy for those who want to give alms. Every shop can affiliate itself with some registered charity organization and help collect alms decently.

Even though you are making some good points, i think i will have to disagree with you in a few instances. Firstly, this people are unfortunate Nigerians,not Hausas etc.They are Nigerians and therefore deserve the right of abode in any part of the country they deem convenient.Secondly, what other alternative measures is the lagos state govt adopting to ensure that this people permanently leave begging without constituting nuisance in other states?Thirdly, is it their fault that they are beggars or the society turned most of them into begging?

The questions are endless and no single answer is sufficient.If the lagos state govt wants to build a society devoid of beggars, i think they know the best thing to do.Why not engage them in menial activities and evacuate the handicapped to destitute homes rather denying them of the right of abode.Ours is a developing country where a good number of people are poor, majority are jobless and even those working are not well paid.So, the issue of begging is as a result of the decay in the Nigerian system, there is no pride in begging.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by efisher(m): 10:35am On May 14, 2011
@chamber2, I agree that these guys are unfortunate Nigerians and it's not their fault. I only used the amputees as an example and I do not see them from the point of view of their tribe. That said, I would like to point out two key points here:

First, the target is not actually to stop begging entirely but to remove them from the streets. The title of the article is a bit misleading. This is what it actually says in the body:

The Lagos State Government on Thursday said giving alms to beggars on roadside is an offence punishable by two years imprisonment without an option of fine

You can give alms to them in front of Churches, Mosques or any other place that is not Roadside.

Secondly, Lagos cannot successfully cater for all of them. No structure that will be created can successfully do this if there is no regulation of who gets welfare benefits from Lagos or not. Many of them come from every nook and cranny of Nigeria. They have their own states who are less burdened than Lagos. If every state takes care of its own, it will be better for everybody. What you would like Lagos to do is only possible at the Federal level. If they go to other states to constitute a nuisance, it will be left for those states to deal with the issue also.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by chamber2(m): 10:39am On May 14, 2011
First, the target is not actually to stop begging entirely but to[b] remove them from the streets[/b]. The title of the article is a bit misleading. This is what it actually says in the body:

I see lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by efisher(m): 10:43am On May 14, 2011
Here is another quote from the article:

He said the government was determined to take beggars and the destitute off the street and provide them vocations and shelters.

One thing this will do for them is to regulate how many people can actually come into Lagos to beg.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by chamber2(m): 10:45am On May 14, 2011
He said the government was determined to take beggars and the destitute off the street and provide them vocations and shelters.

I think this will provide a long term solution to this menace.Most of us opposing this idea did not actually read the entire publication.

Thanks for the clarification
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by efisher(m): 10:50am On May 14, 2011
^
You're welcome. Fine display of character by you here. Some people would have kept on arguing even after the clarification. Well done.  cool
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by 49cents(m): 10:59am On May 14, 2011
This is a good move. However the governor should create policies that will empower people, an example being a policy that allow property owners speedy and inexpensive titles to their land or building. In that way they can access credit from the banks imagine the amount of businesses that can spring up! At the moment lagos is full of dead assets.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by BinghiNya(m): 11:05am On May 14, 2011
Fashola and his cohorts are making unpopular decisions, area boys still  smoke weed under the bridge, he banned okada, yet they are back on the express. Let him go ahead with his plans, but i will give alms and nothing will happen. The holy books says we should give to the needy. Nigeria ain't UK and Nigeria will never be UK. What social scheme does he have for the masses, zero.
Aloy you have said the truth. Police men beg for alms, will he send them packing. Gate men at alausa beg for alms will he sack them. Nigeria self dey beg for alms  why did usa dash Nigeria 2 old school naval ship.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by rasputinn(m): 11:36am On May 14, 2011
There's time enough for me to assess BRF's policies,once he stands up to Tinubu and refuse to be his conduit pipe,then all his sins will be forgiven.Till then,it's fingers crossed
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by aloyemeka1: 12:08pm On May 14, 2011
Lolabbey:

Aloy he has promised to provid dem shelter and vocation.let's see how it goes

Shelter for how many?
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Mariory(m): 12:29pm On May 14, 2011
chamber2:

I think this will provide a long term solution to this menace. Most of us opposing this idea did not actually read the entire publication.

Thanks for the clarification

One of the bigger problems with nairaland and Nigeria as a whole. There are so many mentally lazy people that do not actually read and analyze data before making up their mind. They simply jump in and 'follow' like sheep. This allows for mischievous fellows like the OP to employ the power of suggestion in their titles.

Good lad/gal you are chamber2 for accepting your mistake.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by EkoIle1: 12:30pm On May 14, 2011
Begging in Lagos is a national problem with every destitue in Nigeria moving to Lagos to male fast money off Lagosians and it beats me why many here are going on and on as if one state alone is responsible and should take care of every beggar that wonders into Lagos state including already monumental responsibilities the state is saddled with. Is the Lagos state government responsible for this problem and should it be dipping into it's shallow pocket to cope with the situation? Don't you think your are encouraging others from all over the country to join in and enjoy the state's free gravy train on the backs of the state's tax payers.

There are rehab and vocational centers set up for the same beggars, but they leave the centers because their goal is not to work for anything or be sent to any rehab centers, they are all hustlers and they prefer to be out there hustling Lagosians for easy money so quit the talk about some helpless people.

The state don't even have enough money to take care of it's tax payers, talk less taking care of beggars from all over Nigeria. Is the lagos state government responsible for the economic situation and must it be Lagos state's responsibility alone to take care of poverty in other states just to prevent the citizens in those state from moving to Lagos to beg? I really don't get your point. , and the same people will come here to cry about bad roads and other attention needing issues in the state, but they are here asking the state to keep doing mother Teresa that state can never sustain,
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by andypash(m): 12:33pm On May 14, 2011
This issue na serious one for naija now, well for me e good e no good na be my answer i no say u go ask me make i explain, u see‘en many people no wan work again becos dey say if dem beg people go giv dem som don turn dada for street, notin dey do dem just say dem no wan do anytin only to beg this people fit turn to thief or fit be thief self
Another thing be say some times u no fit tell anytin fit happen to u where u dey maybe thief attack that place and u dey among
Yes if u wan giv less privilage people go homeless place dey plenty for lagos or go church dey get warefare department
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 14, 2011
igbogolo:

Well bro, begging and prodding and urging and beseeching does not get things done in Lagos or even in Nigeria

I'm afraid that is the only thing the government can do; the alternative is to pass a law banning street begging and perhaps arresting those that publicly solicit for alms. But passing a law that bans people from giving alms is totally obnoxious and impracticable. I agree that these beggars constitute serious public nuisance, but the solution is certainly not in promulgating a draconian law that threatens 'good samaritans' with two years imprisonment. Even people that commit certain serious felonies don't get up to two years imprisonment. The idea is totally idiotic; this can only happen in Nigeria or Africa.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Mariory(m): 1:37pm On May 14, 2011
pro01:

I'm afraid that is the only thing the government can do; the alternative is to pass a law banning street begging and perhaps arresting those that publicly solicit for alms. But passing a law that bans people from giving alms is totally obnoxious and impracticable. I agree that these beggars constitute serious public nuisance, but the solution is certainly not in promulgating a draconian law that threatens 'good samaritans' with two years imprisonment. Even people that commit certain serious felonies don't get up to two years imprisonment. The idea is totally idiotic; this can only happen in Nigeria or Africa.

The law does not ban giving alms, or begging for alms, or charity, or whatever you want to call it. The law bans giving alms to people on the street. You can donate to the various charities and welfare offices in Lagos that cater to less fortunate persons. Doing this does not stop you being a 'good Samaritan'.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by kelvin(m): 1:50pm On May 14, 2011
pro01:

Well said. Fashola obviously knew this would be an unpopular decision, that's why he waited until after the elections to come up with this new development. angry
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by tpia5: 1:54pm On May 14, 2011
the law was in place the first time too, cos i remember reading about it in the news years ago.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by initiator(m): 3:43pm On May 14, 2011
I guess if Fashola's mother begs him for money on the street and he gives her, he would go to jail for 2 years?

This is the most wrong-headed policy I can ever imagine.

Every citizen has a freedom of expression as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution. A policy against street trading

should not be extended to the right of any citizen to express sympathy. But Fashola (a SAN) should know better.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by javalove(m): 3:48pm On May 14, 2011
Good move. . .! This is not new tho. . .In Addis Ababa (where I live), you pay 300 Birr fine (which is like 4k) if you give beggars money especially on the high way. . .

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by tlops(m): 3:52pm On May 14, 2011
the sense is that if no one gives then they have to find the nearest social service, But they have to make sure the care home are properly managed.

its like the Swedish law against prostitution, The crime is in buying, the seller goes free. So if no one buys, sellers will not sell, weird huh?
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 14, 2011
Abi o o o .if you wan go pls go. Enemy of progress. Mayb u're among dis alaye/area boys sef.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 14, 2011
i hope this thing works, and also hope our governors here in the north learn from this, a very welcomed developement. Fashola for president! Thats if nnigeria stays together(which i am against, We the hausa/fulani) if not buhari then definately fashola!!
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Ryabcool(m): 5:42pm On May 14, 2011
Mr Aloy Emekachukwudi, why were you silent to my obviously intelligent Eko ile's reply? You're just another case of pointless noisemakers who only wants to gain attention. The guy clearly finished you and instead of you to keep shut and preserve your almost extinct honour, you still have the power to type further rubbish in reference to the alayes. Ever heard of 'one step at a time'? Do you think state government can just up and remove every alaye from the streets of lagos? It has to be done gradually and believe you me that the job will get done at the end of it all. The government has taken the first step to flushing our streets to a reasonable and acceptable extent(because we all know it can't be done completely) and you are there criticizing him and accusing him of setting up draconian laws. I guess You're just an evil person who delights in having people coming to beg you for money so you can say NO and gain satisfaction from it. If you truely like the beggars, you would support the motion for the government teaching them how to fish instead of that dishonour called begging. If you're so pissed, Why not invite them to your state so they can litter and mess up your streets? Ignorant Attention seeker
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by EkoIle1: 5:46pm On May 14, 2011
initiator:

I guess if Fashola's mother begs him for money on the street and he gives her, he would go to jail for 2 years?

This is the most wrong-headed policy I can ever imagine.

Every citizen has a freedom of expression as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution. A policy against street trading

should not be extended to the right of any citizen to express sympathy. But Fashola (a SAN) should know better.

what's Fashola's mother got to do with anything? This has nothing to do with your rights, this is about public nuisance  and public safety. You are free to express yourself under your constitutional rights by giving the money to needy homes the state supports?

Your are the magnet dragging beggars from all over the country to Lagos state for free money and gravy, you are part of the problem. What do you really want the state to do? They built rehab centers for them, they built vocational centers for them, but they don't want to go to these places, all they want is free money from mumu people like you.

Do you really want the state to keep spending tax payers money on beggers from all over the country? Is Lagos state responsible for the country's poverty's problem? Should they be taking care of non tax payingbeggars and poor people from all over the country with tax payer's money?

Lagos state can not sustain that extra burden, poverty and begging is a National problem and it should not be passed to Lagos state to deal with. The federal government and the beggars home states are not giving Lagos state any kind of assistance/funds to take care of the beggars and many poor people trooping into Lagos state.

Lagos state's primary responsiblity is to take care of the state's tax payers, not to take care of beggars from all over the country and Nigeria's poverty problem.

Like I said, you are the magnet driving the beggars to Lagos, you are part of the problem and criticizing the government for what you are basically responsible for and part of sounds very very unfortunate, hypocritical and  disingenuous.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by EkoIle1: 5:50pm On May 14, 2011
Ryabcool:

Mr Aloy Emekachukwudi, why were you silent to my obviously intelligent Eko ile's reply? You're just another case of pointless noisemakers who only wants to gain attention. The guy clearly finished you and instead of you to keep shut and preserve your almost extinct honour, you still have the power to type further rubbish in reference to the alayes. Ever heard of 'one step at a time'? Do you think state government can just up and remove every alaye from the streets of lagos? It has to be done gradually and believe you me that the job will get done at the end of it all. The government has taken the first step to flushing our streets to a reasonable and acceptable extent(because we all know it can't be done completely) and you are there criticizing him and accusing him of setting up draconian laws. I guess You're just an evil person who delights in having people coming to beg you for money so you can say NO and gain satisfaction from it. If you truely like the beggars, you would support the motion for the government teaching them how to fish instead of that dishonour called begging. If you're so pissed, Why not invite them to your state so they can litter and mess up your streets? Ignorant Attention seeker

You just have to excuse his ignorance, he ignored my post for obvious reasons. Many of them know nothing about Lagos state or any of it's activities,they crawl the internet looking fo silly and pointless nonsense to ignorantly rant about.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by igbogolo: 5:56pm On May 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

You just have to excuse his ignorance, he ignored my post for obvious reasons. Many of them know nothing about Lagos state or any of it's activities,they crawl the internet looking fo silly and pointless nonsense to ignorantly rant about.

Thanks o jare. I can bet most posters here do not even live in Lagos. These beggers are a menace pure and simple!
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by cold(m): 6:08pm On May 14, 2011
What of all the 'i'm a PHD holder, I just lost my wallet.Can you spare me only N100 so i can get to the university'?Do they also fall into the rank of beggars undecided tongue
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by nedu666: 7:07pm On May 14, 2011
eko ile since i joined this site u foolishness has been outstanding
Eko Ile:

Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Pataki: 7:28pm On May 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

Just to point, Aloy Emeka is a SHE not a He.

Known with many multiple user IDs. OsunAmazon, Hotfunmi, RedHotPepPer, amidst a whole lot of other handles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

China Warns Citizens In Nigeria Against Maltreating Employees / Federal Projects: Senate's Approval Of N488.7bn For States Raises Dust / President Buhari’s Speech At The National Executive Committee Meeting Of APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.