Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp (2285 Views)

Garage48 Winner's Idea - "A call Center Application"? / Please Help Review Our Garage48 Entry: Cooknchop. Thanks / Sign-up For Garage48 Lagos: From Idea To Service In 48 Hours! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by Seun(m): 12:18am On May 14, 2011
Temi Giwa, our visionary/spokesperson/all-round team lead was pretty conspicuous for three reasons when she made her pitch:

One, she was female (One of a grand total of two women who signed up for the event, and even then the only one who signed up as a DEVELOPER).

Two, she talked funny (Always an attention grabber- there are a number of US accents that are quite common in Nigeria, and hers is NOT one)

Three, she was the last to present.

Apparently, the idea had occurred to her just as the pitches were wrapping up. I’d like to leave it to her to tell us what exactly motivated her to step out of the box created by the role she had signed up for (developer) and instead step in front of a rowdy bunch of self-professed tech wizards to pitch an idea that seemed exactly as far-fetched as it was brilliant.

You see, the prevailing attitude of most people in the audience around where I was seated was: This is a great idea but there’s NO WAY you can get that done in two days. Typical womanish “over-sabi”(self importance).  Who does she think she is, because she can “blow foneh” (speak with an accent)

It seemed as if the project was doomed to be one of those that would be cancelled due to a lack of interest from participants. And sadly, for a few minutes after the G48 team announced the team-formation exercise had begun, her pitch poster remained empty and devoid of sign-ups.

Source | Next Page
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by Seun(m): 2:17am On May 14, 2011
I'm impressed by how they were able to rally competent hands around a good idea so quickly.
I guess that, sometimes, a tight deadline helps. "We need someone to do this thing in 48 hours!!"
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by MMM2(m): 9:06am On May 14, 2011
thank God 4 dem
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by ufumes(m): 4:19pm On May 14, 2011
This post is not clear!
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by emekauzor(m): 10:21pm On May 14, 2011
heard about the thing via tech crunch good the lad won, worthy to know
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by kodewrita(m): 11:14pm On May 14, 2011
Seun, Can we ever drag you, Tim and Prosper down to a hackathon.

We loot the other teams for some super graphic designers (who would be awed by the chance to be in your team).

I know thats cheating so I'll come along to make it even for the other teams. (deep irony)

Common language: Python.

*****Daydreaming******

You'll probably not want to do that

(Even under a code-name, blinders and a hat?)
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by Seun(m): 11:39pm On May 14, 2011
Seun, Can we ever drag you, Tim and Prosper down to a hackathon.
That's a great idea. We should do it someday. To be honest I kinda wish I was at this one, too.
Re: How Callcamp Won At Garage48 Programmer's Camp by kodewrita(m): 11:45pm On May 14, 2011
All you had to do was ask.

Problem: We might have too many people coming in.

Why? Bragging rights: If they get to whip Nigeria's top webmaster, they'll probably die of pure happiness.

So One Hackathon coming right up. Will start the noise on some other thread or better still: You do the honors.

(1) (Reply)

[News] Mark Zuckerberg’s Sister Is Now A Google Employee / What's The Difference Between A Webserver And An Application Server? / Java REPL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.