Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments (16076 Views)

THROWBACK: Atlanta 1996 - Nigeria "Dream Team" Won Gold In Olympic Football / Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo / 10 Unforgettable Football Moments In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by datola: 8:29am On Jul 27, 2021
Good
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by preacherz: 8:30am On Jul 27, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
I agree.

Beating the then untouchable Brazil & humbling that drug-induced Maradona in the final with men twice their age is a feat that can never be replicated again.

Ur confusing it with USA94
Maradona didn’t play in d Argentina �� team at Atlanta 96. Ortega wore d 10 jersey

Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Dagger111(m): 8:30am On Jul 27, 2021
I was knack kpekus tire for Europe then because i be Nigerian.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by BigDan69: 8:30am On Jul 27, 2021
Wow cool
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Commentor: 8:30am On Jul 27, 2021
Lagbaja then released a track to commemorate the games.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by tikeh: 8:32am On Jul 27, 2021
The team we will never forget. They gave us d real joy and good memory of football. Then they units Nigeria with no weapon but their great talents. When I was a kid I knew them all despite being too small. Great!!! grand!!! legends!!!!��❤️��
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Naughtysex: 8:33am On Jul 27, 2021
That was when we love to brag with our nationality "i am a Nigerian"

I remember how i ran to NTA Ibadan after beating the almighty Brazil
NWOSU was the military governor of oyo state then

Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by patholaw: 8:34am On Jul 27, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
I agree.

Beating the then untouchable Brazil & humbling that drug-induced Maradona in the final with men twice their age is a feat that can never be replicated again.

Maradona did no play in Atlanta 96.

His last game for Argentina was in the group stage of U.S.A 94 where Argentina won Nigeria 2-1.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by aliyuthayo(m): 8:34am On Jul 27, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
I agree.

Beating the then untouchable Brazil & humbling that drug-induced Argentina in the final with men twice their age is a feat that can never be replicated again.

Only Celestine Babyaro and possibly Tijani Babangida is truly Under 23 as at that time. But truly it's an unforgettable memories
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by aliyuthayo(m): 8:36am On Jul 27, 2021
Naughtysex:
That was when we love to brag with our nationality "i am a Nigerian"

I remember how i ran to NTA Ibadan after beating the almighty Brazil
NWOSU was the military governor of oyo state then

So you were there too! We left NTA to B.C.O.S, gone are those days. Unforgettable Memories indeed!
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Naughtysex: 8:43am On Jul 27, 2021
aliyuthayo:

So you were there too! We left NTA to B.C.O.S, gone are those days. Unforgettable Memories indeed!
I was o I remembered when it was 3vs2 and NTA was flashing "Nigerians, pray" , i cried .. i was like " God please make it happen" and it indeed happened

That was when men play football with their strength and mind
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Starboytwo(m): 8:43am On Jul 27, 2021
I watched the highlights. I can only imagine the madness that ensue after the final whistle all over naija.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Heartdanny(f): 8:45am On Jul 27, 2021
I will never forget that night of 'when Nigeria win Brazil' how my mum nearly finished me with beating because at my age I followed the crowd in the streets of Owerri to Kalu Nwankwo's house.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by anambraamaka: 8:56am On Jul 27, 2021
Of course
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by kingthreat(m): 8:57am On Jul 27, 2021
We hurt Brazil so bad that they burnt our embassy. grin
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by robosky02(m): 9:08am On Jul 27, 2021
Heartdanny:
I will never forget that night of 'when Nigeria win Brazil' how my mum nearly finished me with beating because at my age I followed the crowd in the streets of Owerri to Kalu Nwankwo's house.

Hmmmm so now now you are a big girl
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Excelinpages(m): 9:28am On Jul 27, 2021
You killed a snake that could easily help you earn money by tourism.

We kill plenty money making opportunities in this country.

MEANWHILE IT would make sense to start saving 'small small' towards yuletide expenses oh. With the way Nigeria is going and the inflation doing anyhow, would it not make sense to save even 10K OR More every month towards December

If you save 10K monthly by December you would have 40K + Interest (more than you bank can ever give you for saving).

Make a smart choice.

Go and save with Octa today and earn higher returns

Simply download the app, create a savings goal or transfer to your Octa account number.

Octa is owned by Page Financials.

Thank me anytime.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by just2endowed: 9:29am On Jul 27, 2021
Lol I remember as a kid then, sneaking outside to watch the semi finals at a neighbourhs house. After the win, there were burn fire at the major street. Guys were dancing around the fire. Some shout and match miles shoutng there voice out. Celebration was wild lasted till 4am. Thank God I remembered to witness the good time.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by theTranscriber: 9:37am On Jul 27, 2021
We na Indomie generation cry angry cheesy

Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Boudiccao: 9:47am On Jul 27, 2021
80 to 90 percent Igbo team yet a foolish person has the audacity to insult Igbos and ask what are Igbos bringing to this Goddamned shithole nation.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by rolams(m): 9:48am On Jul 27, 2021
wagazala:
25years ago, wow. No wonder there is a lot of negativity online in Naija, some didnt even get to witness the good times. They were born into these terrible times.

This was when it was sweet to be called a Nigerian. You travel and everyone asks you about Okocha, Amokachi etc.

Well, sigh. It is well.

Hahaha!
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by rolams(m): 9:49am On Jul 27, 2021
preacherz:

Ur confusing it with USA94
Maradona didn’t play in d Argentina �� team at Atlanta 96. Ortega wore d 10 jersey

Ortega and Batistuta, their two big players till after korea/japan 2002.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by DoggoneDogg: 9:52am On Jul 27, 2021
aliyuthayo:

Only Celestine Babyaro and possibly Tijani Babangida is truly Under 23 as at that time. But truly it's an unforgettable memories

Aboki keep quiet. Na only your kinsmen no cheat age abi.

All of them were old men. Babayaro was even worse, claiming 16.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by rolams(m): 9:55am On Jul 27, 2021
aliyuthayo:

What a great memory! Black and white TV
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:06am On Jul 27, 2021
The list is incomplete without Cameroon of year 2000
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by slex(m): 10:08am On Jul 27, 2021
I watched every single game those boys played.

It was so great to be a Nigerian then..

My greatest match will always be Ngr vs Brazil when we were 1-3 down at halftime.

See stars na, bebeto, Ronaldo, r. Carlos, Dida, Rivaldo, amarao. Leave story..

Argentina, Ortega, chamot, Lopez

Mexico.. Na only the GK Jorge Campos I can remeber, and Garcia Aspe.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by IgboWarlord(m): 10:32am On Jul 27, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
I agree.

Beating the then untouchable Brazil & humbling that drug-induced Argentina in the final with men twice their age is a feat that can never be replicated again.

Men twice their age??I don't think so..Great feat though.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Belleful: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2021
post=104138302:
Gbamsolutely it was!

Below is what all of us @[/b] remember about that Olympics.

Undoubtedly, as the thread says
It was the biggest win for Nigeria at the final of the [b]Atlanta 1996 Olympic football competition.

But even before reaching the final they had to see off the challenge of arguably one of the greatest Olympic football teams ever selected.

The semi-final against Brazil saw them overcome the shock of conceding a first-minute goal to run out 4-3 winners. Kanu struck home a memorable 90th minute equaliser to take the game into extra time before his golden goal killed the game and sealed an unforgettable victory for Nigeria.

It was the end of the road for Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Bebeto and Roberto Carlos, as Nigeria marched on into the final.

On 3 August, 86,117 spectators filled the Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia to watch Argentina take on Nigeria in the Olympic gold medal match.

Argentina took control of the tie, going ahead 2-1 with goals from Claudio Lopez and Hernan Crespo. But the Super Eagles were not to be denied.

In another incredible comeback, the Nigerian team first equalised with a 74th minute through a Daniel Amokachi strike before Emmanuel Amunike beat the offside trap to score a point-blank winner in the last minute of the game.

Nigeria had become the first-ever African nation to win an Olympic football gold medal. And they had done it in style.
It was a huge Barbecue parry all over the 4 corners of Nigeria back then.
Barbecue was lit from the house of MANNA.

The key players
are not forgotten,
The 'Dream Team', as the Nigerian squad were nicknamed after their Atlanta triumph, relied on many stars in 1996. But perhaps the greatest of these were the attacking duo of Okocha and captain Kanu.

Okocha, for his part, won the Nigerian Footballer of the Year award a total of seven times between 1995 and 2005, and his impressive skill-set - he even had his own trick, 'the Okocha flick' named after him - has seen him gain legendary status both in Nigeria and across the world.

It says something, though, that the Nigerian Footballer of the Year for 1996 was the tall, languid attacker Kanu, who has since gone on to be considered one of the greatest players in African history. Kanu went on to win the UEFA Champions League and two African Player of the Year awards in a trophy-laden career.

But it would be impossible to talk about the gold medal-winning Super Eagles without giving a special mention to Emmanuel Amunike - the player whose last-minute heroics sealed victory for Nigeria in the most important match in their history
How u all forget to mention WILSON ORUMA BAFFLES ME. ORUMA was the LUCKY CHARM AND SUPER SUB dat made us beat Brazil and Argentina.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Belleful: 10:46am On Jul 27, 2021
Stayed awake all night for d match only for Nigeria to be losing 3-1. Got angry n went to sleep, only to be waken by shouts of a goal,....d joy was second to none. Nigeria vs Brazil. D only match that brought out every Nigerian to d streets so late in the night. We dance from street to street with joy. Special mention to WILSON ORUMA. THE LUCKY CHARM SUPER SUB.
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Numerouno94(m): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2021
kingthreat:
We hurt Brazil so bad that they burnt our embassy. grin

Re u serious?
Re: Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments by Numerouno94(m): 11:04am On Jul 27, 2021
theTranscriber:
We na Indomie generation cry angry cheesy

gringrin i b small pikin then.cheesycheesy

Top 10 Most Handsome Footballers In The World / Waldrum Loves MKO Abiola National Stadium, Wants Super Falcons Vs CIV In Abuja / D'Tigress Press Release On 2 Year Basketball Ban