Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status (4342 Views)

Wife Of Boko Haram Commander Makes Shocking Revelation About Chibok Girls / Iyabo Obasanjo Walking With Daugther Of Fmr American President,jimmy Carter.pics / A Tribute To Late President Umaru Musa Yaradua!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by tblacker(m): 4:15pm On May 14, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/14/national-14-05-2011-010.htm

Last week, when the Federal Government and, indeed, Nigerians marked the first anniversary of the death of the late President Umar Musa Yar’Adua, not many knew that for the family, there was not much to cheer about the former number one citizen of the country. This is so because he did not leave anything, in terms of material acquisitions.

For many, this will appear shocking, going by the positions Yar’Adua held. But it’s true. Yes, between 1999 and 2007, Yar’Adua was the governor of Katsina State. While in office, he was hardly in the news. The reason being that apart from his health challenges, he was not given to rabble-rousing or attention seeking.
After his eight years as governor, Yar’Adua became president in 2007. Even as president, he still maintained a low profile and austere lifestyle. All these are common knowledge. But what many may not know is that despite all the years he was in high public offices, controlling enormous public resources, Yar’Adua did not build or buy even a single house. While his colleagues were acquiring magnificent mansions all over the world, he was contented with the family inheritance.

Saturday Sun investigation in Katsina revealed that the late president had only one house when he was alive. The house, it was gathered, was a gift from his late elder brother, General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua. It is located in the Government Reserved Area (GRA), Katsina, near the Customs and Excise office.
Checks revealed, however, that while Yar’Adua did not build a house, his wife, Turai, acquired one when the former president was governor. The property, a white bungalow, located on Queen Amina Road, Katsina, is where the former First Lady and her children now live.

Sources revealed that before Yar’Adua died, some friends and associates, apparently scandalised that the president of the country did not have a befitting house, was building one for him behind Katsina Government House. The project, an elegant duplex, which is only waiting for fittings, was abandoned shortly after his death last year.

Those close to Yar’Adua told Saturday Sun that the late president’s simple lifestyle was legendary. Particularly, they say that he was not infested with the theft syndrome. They linked this to his background, having grown up in a family, where his grandfather and father, though comfortable, did not believe in excessive wealth.

It was gathered that when Yar’Adua was governor, he could hardly be distinguished from ordinary folks. Top government officials in the state, who worked with him when he was governor, revealed that the late president used to stroll out of the Government House to maitaba (cigarette shop) to buy Benson and Hedges cigarette. They said that he would light the cigarette and smoke leisurely, as he returned to his office or residence.

Offering insightful perspectives into Yar’Adua’s life, a former aide, who wished to be identified simply as Alhaji Bako, said: “When he was governor, he used to send his caps for re-treading, due to old age. Rather than buying caps all the time, which he considered a waste, he used to send his worn caps to be refurbished. He was that sort of person.”

Bako also said: “At the time Yar’Adua started to campaign for the office of president, he did not have more than 10 pairs of babanriga. It was a Katsina businessman, who sewed dozens of babanriga and gave to him. Even things as ordinary as clothes meant nothing to him.”

This is extremely amazing to me.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by tpia5: 4:33pm On May 14, 2011
what's scandalous about it?

the fact that some were publishing fake rags to riches stories in the media?

anyway, nigerian politics isnt something i want to disturb my self over.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by joecrack(m): 4:41pm On May 14, 2011
The sensationalism of the sun baffles me pretty desperate,i mean what is scandalous here,that an ex gov,pres does not av mansions scattered around.i'm wondering how they will put iboris own.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by Gayigaskia(m): 5:03pm On May 14, 2011
This is indeed scandalous in Nigerian terms. If only 20% of Nigeria's politicians are like this country will be far ahead in development.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by archive(f): 5:13pm On May 14, 2011
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by T9ksy(m): 5:17pm On May 14, 2011
If memory serves me right, i thought Yar adua disclosed his personal fortunes at the begining of his tenure? He certainly wasn't a poor man by any means.

Moreover, can't really place my hand on the figure now but he seems to have made close to 100m Naira in his 8years as gov. of Katsina state. This was attributed to income generated from his various private businesses.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by dplordx(m): 10:04pm On May 14, 2011
@tpia

God bless you
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by MAYOWAAK: 11:58pm On May 14, 2011
T9ksy:

If memory serves me right, i thought Yar adua disclosed his personal fortunes at the begining of his tenure? He certainly wasn't a poor man by any means.

Moreover, can't really place my hand on the figure now but he seems to have made close to 100m Naira in his 8years as gov. of Katsina state. This was attributed to income generated from his various private businesses.

ASSET DECLARATION OF UMAR MUSA YAR’AADUA

Compiled from various media reports

ITEM

AMOUNT (Naira)

SUBTOTAL

(Naira)

A

Cash in Nigerian Banks:

Bank PHB, Nagogo Road, Katsina branch

Bank PHB, Apapa Lagos Branch

Bank PHB, Head Office,Kaduna

UB Plc (formerly Intercity), Imani Branch, Abuja (loan & debit)

UB Plc, Imani Branch, Abuja (loan & debit)

Subtotal

B

Cash in Hand

(derived from savings, campaign and post campaign contributions)

To say the least this news item is irresponsible journalism and an attempt to rewrite history.After becoming President in 2007,Umar Yar Adua publicly declared his assets estimated at close to a billion naira.It baffles me when journalists who are first class graduates in the school of browm envelope attempts to pull the wool over our faces.

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20070630100705zg/sections/essays/saturday-essay-that-one-billion-naira-public-declaration-of-assets-by-umar-musa-yar-adua/

C

Details of property in Nigeria

Multi-storey building in Abuja (land granted to him in 1998)

Duplex, in Malali, Kaduna (gift from late brother Shehu)

7-Bedroom duplex in Kaduna (built in 1987)

Subtotal

D

Undeveloped Plots

Asokoro New Layout (granted in 1998)

E

Farms

Farm in Ruwan Godiya, Katsina (acquired in 1982)

Farm in Ajiwa, Katsina (acquired in 1993)

F

Vehicles

Honda Accord AC 151 ABC

Mercedes Benz

29 new (campaign) vehicles

Subtotal

G

Household Furniture

H

Details of Spouse’s Properties

3 local houses (acquired 1998)

1 twin bungalow (acquired in 2002)

3 vacant plots (acquired in 2003)

Subtotal

I

Habib Nigeria Bank PLC shares (acquired in 1998)

2,000,000 units

Intercity Bank Plc shares

100,000 units

Muradi Hotels Ltd. Shares

100,000 units

J

GRAND TOTAL ASSETS (minus worth of shares)

K

LIABILITIES

[Unity Bank Plc, Imani Estate Branch, Maitama, Abuja]

L

TOTAL NET WORTH

Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by otokx(m): 10:32am On May 15, 2011
Another northern propaganda; they should find how much his wife acquired after he became president.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by Nobody: 11:13am On May 15, 2011
Yeye people! Thank God this guy publicly declare his assets.They can never rewrite history.The want the world to believe this lies,just as they have made many believe Buhari is not rich but can financially contest election every 4 years and fight up to the supreme court.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by Nobody: 11:21am On May 15, 2011
Yar'adua did not leave anything because most of what he has stolen has been banked in Turai's name.
Re: Shocking Revelation Of Fmr. President's (musa Yaradua) Financial Status by gogo13233: 9:01am On May 16, 2011
it is a lie, his family members are part of the blood suckers that kept Nigeria in this dire condition, i was about to post his almost 1billion naira asset declaration documents until some one just mentioned,a typical Nigerian journalist is a mere conscienceless crook

(1) (Reply)

Tambuwal Cuts Reps’ Pay By 40% / Save Nigeria Group Invites All To A Town Hall Meeting Tomorrow-23rd Jan 2012 / Offensive Joke By South Africans On Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.