Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Advice On How To Answer Career Goals Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Advice On How To Answer Career Goals Questions (403 Views)

Jobs Seekers – See Best Way To Answer “why Should We Hire You?” / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / 10 Tricky Interview Questions And How To Answer Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice On How To Answer Career Goals Questions by Cvclue11(m): 1:48pm On Jul 30, 2021
If you haven't yet considered the path you want your career to go, it's a good idea to do so before going on a job interview. “What are your long-term professional goals?” can be a question asked during an interview. ”
Alternatively, you may be asked questions such, “Where do you see yourself in five years?” ” and “What are your five- to ten-year objectives?” ”

What the Interviewer Is Really Looking For

Interviewers want to know whether you intend to remain at the business for a long time or if you'll depart as soon as possible. It's quite usual to ask future-oriented questions during interviews. Employers may use this strategy to see whether you have any long-term goals or ambitions.
Hiring and training a new employee is costly. The interviewer wants to know whether you plan to remain at the business for a long time. The interviewer, on the other hand, wants to make sure you have desire and long-term objectives.

Because it may be tough to think about the future during an interview, it's a good idea to prepare for questions like these ahead of time. Keep in mind that there are many approaches to answering it correctly. Consider the business while answering this question. It's best to keep your own objectives to yourself if they don't align with the company's long-term strategy.

Prepare a response that focuses on your career objectives in relation to the business you're interviewing with.
Those objectives may be divided into short-term and long-term objectives. Prepare to discuss some of your goals with the interviewer.
Review this article on how to establish professional objectives if you're not sure what you want to accomplish. Then devote some time to establishing those critical short- and long-term professional objectives. this might be helpful: Jobs By Location In Nigeria

Best Answers Exemplified

Here are some samples of responses that you may use to help you frame your own.
Example of a Response
In the near future, I'd want to work as a sales representative for a business like yours, one that values great customer service and care. Working as a sales representative for a business that I believe in will prepare me for increased team leadership duties when they become available in the future.

Why It Works: In his response to the question, the candidate mentions the business he or she is interviewing for, indicating to the interviewer that he or she would want to be employed by the company and remain there for a long.
Example of a Response

My current short-term objective is to improve and use my marketing and communications abilities in a position similar to this one. But, in the long run, I'd want to work in a role that enables me to utilize these talents while simultaneously leading a marketing team. I'll work toward this objective by taking on leadership roles in team projects and furthering my professional career by attending leadership conferences like the one hosted by your business every year.

Why It Works: There are two reasons why this solution works. First, the candidate claims that working in a business like the one where he or she is interviewing would help him or her achieve a short-term objective. Second, the candidate connects his or her long-term objective to a company-sponsored yearly conference

Example of a Response
Despite the fact that I just finished my LPN certification, my long-term objective is to further my nursing profession by obtaining my RN degree. For the next several years, my goal is to work full-time at a long-term care facility or hospital, which will provide me with the experience I'll need to succeed in an RN program.

Why it Works: Because the candidate is clearly interviewed in a hospital or long-term care setting, he or she is associating long-term objectives with that setting. This gives the interviewer confidence that if they employ the candidate, they will be able to keep him or her.
Begin with short-term goals and work your way up to long-term objectives. You probably have a clear idea of your short-term objectives, such as landing a job with the company you're presently interviewing with. Begin by outlining these objectives, then go on to long-term strategies.

Describe the steps you'll take. A list of objectives isn't going to cut it as a response. You should also (briefly) outline the actions you'll take to accomplish them. If you wish to work in management, for example, explain the measures you've done or will take to get there.

Perhaps you're working on your leadership abilities by leading group projects, attending a series of leadership seminars, or studying for a specific management certification.

Defining your strategy shows that you are considering your professional future and possible advancement within the business analytically. If you want to continue your education, for example, explain why you want to do so in a manner that makes you more valuable to the business.
Concentrate on the employer. Despite the fact that this is a question about you, you want to communicate that you are not planning to leave your current job very soon.
Mention that working for a business like the one you're interviewing for is one of your objectives.

Concentrate on how you'll bring value to the business by achieving your personal objectives. Also, persuade the interviewer that working for this business would assist you in achieving your objectives, resulting in a win-win scenario.
Make an effort to practice. To feel more at ease during your interview, practice answering questions about your career strategy and objectives aloud. It's also a good idea to look through some sample job interview questions and responses to ensure you're completely prepared
What to Avoid Saying
Avoid bringing up the subject of pay. Focus on objectives that aren't linked to money, increases, bonuses, or benefits. You should concentrate on the job you want to do rather than the money you want to earn. If asked, it's acceptable to provide a wage range (although you might try to avoid getting pinned down too early in the process). However, you should never provide your goal pay without being asked, and you should never attribute any information to your own circumstances rather than the job market.

Here's an example of what not to say in a wage discussion with a potential employer:
Don't Say This: Could you give me a range of salaries for this position? My minimum wage goal is $45,000. I can't contemplate a job that pays less than that since my rent recently went up and I have school debt.

Don't get too caught up in the details. While you should provide clear objectives, avoid going into too much information. If you know you want to work for a particular business in a specific job (but not the company or role you're applying for), don't tell the employer

More broad objectives, such as taking on duties, should be prioritized. This enables you to strike a balance between defined objectives and a flexible mindset

When describing your objectives, here's an example of what not to say:
Don't Say This: I'm pumped about the prospect of joining this group. While I'm looking for an administrative assistant position, I'm hoping to transition into an editing position as soon as feasible. Can you tell me how long it would take to get to the level of editing assistant?

(1) (Reply)

Accounting Officers Needed In An Aviation Support Servicing Company. / Earn For Life For Real / What Do You Think About This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.