Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage (12914 Views)

APC National Headquarters Suspends Oyo Congress Over Irregularities / US Lawmakers Stop $875m Defence Equipment Sale To Nigeria / Electoral Act: NASS Plans To Override President Buhari This Week - Sen Olujimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by DefHQ: 2:19am On Jul 31, 2021
The National Assembly is billed to hold talks with the United States Congress over the stoppage of weapons sale to Nigeria, Saturday PUNCH has reliably learnt.

The Senate and the House of Representatives may be sending different delegations to meet with their American counterparts on how to successfully procure attack helicopters and other arms and an munition in a deal valued at $875m (N360bn/)

Chairmen of different security committees in the National Assembly, in separate interviews with one of our correspondents between Wednesday and Friday, confirmed knowledge of the deal’s stoppage and their readiness to seek legislative and diplomatic interventions.

The US lawmakers are holding down a proposed sale of warplanes to Nigeria amid mounting concerns over the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari’s (retd), human rights record as the country grapples with multiple security crises.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee of the Congress has reportedly delayed clearing a proposed sale of 12 AH-1 Cobra fighter jets and accompanying defence systems to the Nigerian military.

The proposed sale also includes 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation, 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell, and 2,000 advanced precision kill weapon systems – laser-guided rocket munitions, according to information sent by the State Department to Congress and reviewed by Foreign Policy Magazine.

A report by the magazine on Tuesday said the behind-the-scenes controversy over the proposed arms sale illustrated a broader debate among Washington policymakers over how to balance national security with human rights objectives.

The hold on the sale also showcases how powerful US lawmakers want to push the Joe Biden administration to rethink US relations with Nigeria amid overarching concerns that Buhari is drifting toward authoritarianism as his government is besieged by multiple security challenges, including the Boko Haram insurgency.

Western governments and international human rights organisations have ramped up their criticisms of the Buhari regime, particularly in the wake of its ban on Twitter, systemic corruption issues, and the Nigerian military’s role in crackdowns on #EndSARS protesters last October.

The details on the proposed sale were first sent by the US State Department to Congress in January before then-former Vice President Joe Biden was inaugurated as president, according to officials familiar with the matter.

Asked if the National Assembly would engage the US Congress on the matter, the lawmaker said, “Yes, That is what is right. If it requires that, we would do it.”

Also, the Chairman of the House Committee on Defence, Babajimi Benson, said the lawmakers would deploy diplomatic means to resolve the issue.

On how soon the Nigerian lawmakers would meet with their American counterparts, Benson said, “It is a top priority in our diplomatic shuttles. It was supposed to have been held but we are on recess. We hope that it would be done very soon. It is a matter that we would resolve. They just need assurances.”

A ranking member of the Senate, who spoke on condition of anonymity, however, criticised the US for refusing to sell arms to Nigeria.

The lawmaker said, “We are having this challenge. You cannot move freely. This is a matter of Nigeria and Nigerians against insurgents and terrorists, and bandits who have graduated to an organisation that can be classified as a terrorist organisation. They are shooting down Air Force planes; they are killing people indiscriminately. This is why the Nigerian Government is looking for arms to fight them.
https://punchng.com/national-assembly-plans-to-meet-us-congress-over-875m-weapons-deal-stoppage/?amp

1 Share

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by nairalandankrah: 2:21am On Jul 31, 2021
Lie Mohammed is extremely possessed with the fowl spirit of lying..this is no joke!
I confirmed it yesterday! shocked

264 Likes 19 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Visocrate(m): 2:25am On Jul 31, 2021
I thought they said there was no deal so which other deal again are they talking about

155 Likes 13 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Aparthied: 2:27am On Jul 31, 2021
Nigeria is getting more useless everyday!
When you have an illiterate leader as the president of a country;the world sees everyone in that country as the same .

113 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by nairalandankrah: 2:29am On Jul 31, 2021
DefHQ:

The lawmaker said, “We are having this challenge. You cannot move freely. This is a matter of Nigeria and Nigerians against insurgents and terrorists, and bandits who have graduated to an organisation that can be classified as a terrorist organisation. They are shooting down Air Force planes; they are killing people indiscriminately. This is why the Nigerian Government is looking for arms to fight them.

Since you discovered that they have graduated from bandits to terrorists, what is still holding you people from proscribing them? grin
You see, you can fool yourselves in the zoo, you can even fool nairalanders, but you see me, seun, and those USA Senators, we cannot be deceived!!
You buy weapons from us so u can use those weapons on gullible southerners!. You think we dont know

130 Likes 13 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by jabberjawz: 2:41am On Jul 31, 2021
[/b] Liar Mohammed....u see your life...?.....no single truth in your mouth.... nobody takes him serious anymore...cos his mouth smells of lies, lies & more lies... Kai..this na people grand father o.....[b]

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by chinjo(m): 2:48am On Jul 31, 2021
When you get there, use the opportunity to also explain to them why you demonically passed a bill to gag the press and also a bill to stop electronic transmission of electoral result. Since you people have decided to take Nigeria back to the stone age, no sale of any weapon to you guys. Go and use bows and arrows to combat insurgency.

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Moferere: 2:55am On Jul 31, 2021
Visocrate:
I thought they said there was no deal so which other deal again are they talking about

You dey mind dem?
Very confused people

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by EmekaBlue(m): 3:17am On Jul 31, 2021
How Lie Mohammed laughs at Nigerians with his friends after his lies

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 3:40am On Jul 31, 2021
Awon ode, we never engaged in any arms deal and we currently don't have any arms deal with the US apart from the successful Tucano deal. The arms deal bring blocked by a no name US lawmaker to was another fabticated rubbish and fake news.

Shouldn't they even first find out if there was any arms deal? This lazy panel need to find something better to do,

3 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 3:45am On Jul 31, 2021
Aparthied:
Nigeria is getting more useless everyday!
When you have an illiterate leader as the president of a country;the world sees everyone in that country as the same .

Our problem is not illiterate leaders, the problem is illiterate Nigerians swallowing every fake rubbish they read, even you can not show US any proof that we are trying to buy arms from the US, it's not even by accident that the fake news peddlers sis not identify the nameless US lawmaker blocking the fake deal and?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Racoon(m): 3:58am On Jul 31, 2021
And the stupid legendary liar called Lai Mohammed was denying as usual that Nigeria does not have any legal arms dealing of that nature with the US?

38 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Mrfintec: 3:59am On Jul 31, 2021
person wey invoke spirit of lies in Lai Muhammed. the man Don die since

While you are here ,

If you are in Abuja and you want paga POS with service charge friendly for your mobile money business call usman 09092929658

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by princemillla(m): 4:06am On Jul 31, 2021
How did we get here in the first place....How did Nigeria with so many brilliant fellow elect leaders with no critical thinking....how can a minister of information claim there was no deal whilst deal is true.

Omo I fear for this country o

19 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Racoon(m): 4:11am On Jul 31, 2021
[s]
NGpatriot:
Our problem is not illiterate leaders, the problem is illiterate Nigerians swallowing every fake rubbish they read.

Even you can not show US any proof that we are trying to buy arms from the US, it's not even by accident that the fake news peddlers sis not identify the nameless US lawmaker blocking the fake deal and?
[/s]
US Senate calls on its govt to rethink ‘engagement’ with Nigeria

Chairperson of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Bob Menendez, called for a “fundamental rethink of the framework of our overall engagement” with Nigeria during a Senate hearing with US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken in June.

Both Menendez and Sen. Jim Risch, a top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, have placed a hold on the proposed arms sale, according to multiple US officials and congressional aides familiar with the matter, who spoke to Foreign Policy on condition of anonymity.

The details on the proposed sale were first sent by the US State Department to Congress in January before then-former Vice President Joe Biden was inaugurated as president, according to officials familiar with the matter.

Nigeria has just received six out of the 12 Tucano jet fighters purchased from the US government.Some experts said the United States should hit the pause button on major defence sales until it makes a broader assessment of the extent to which corruption and mismanagement hobble the Nigerian military and whether the military is doing enough to minimize civilian casualties in its campaign against Boko Haram and other violent insurrectionists.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/us-lawmakers-stop-875m-arms-sale-to-nigeria/amp/

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by michlins(m): 4:12am On Jul 31, 2021
Lai Mohammed, this is how you will be disgracing yourself. The other day, your grandchild was asking you if you're a liar. How can you refute this

Do you know that your paymasters will be laughing at your deliberate naked dance in the public space

22 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 4:45am On Jul 31, 2021
michlins:
Lai Mohammed, this is how you will be disgracing yourself. The other day, your grandchild was asking you if you're a liar. How can you refute this

Do you know that your paymasters will be laughing at your deliberate naked dance in the public space

He's disgracing himself, but what about you with no proof of any arms engagement with the US? Are you not disgracing yourself?

Look in the mirror..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by mushystuff: 4:52am On Jul 31, 2021
Ah! What is this one again? I thought Lai Mo has just finished telling us that they don't know anything about any arms sale/deal the US Congress had suspended?

Why has proper, professional information management eluded this government? The only thing they do successfully is attempt to gag the press!

13 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 4:59am On Jul 31, 2021
Racoon:

Ipob, I asked you to show us proof that we are trying to buy anything from the US, not to bore me with some fake rubbish about a Bob Menendez, a corrupt man that was severely sanctioned by the US congress and his own colleagues for corruption.

Besides, he's a goofy hack in bed with anti Nigerian losers like sowore from his district in NJ.

Next,,......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by mushystuff: 5:01am On Jul 31, 2021
NGpatriot:
Awon ode, we never engaged in any arms deal and we currently don't have any arms deal with the US apart from the successful Tucano deal. The arms deal bring blocked by a no name US lawmaker to was another fabticated rubbish and fake news.

Shouldn't they even first find out if there was any arms deal? This lazy panel need to find something better to do,

The senate would normally approve the appropriation of funds for a procurement of this nature. Don't be in such a hurry to criticise the Senate unless you mean that the NASS and Executive are working at cross-purposes despite all their claims to the contrary.

11 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 5:09am On Jul 31, 2021
mushystuff:

The senate would normally approve the appropriation of funds for a procurement of this nature. Don't be in such a hurry to criticise the Senate unless you mean that the NASS and Executive are working at cross-purposes despite all their claims to the contrary.

I'm not in a hurry to jump into anything and this is the reason why I asked them to first proof that we are buying anything from the US before jumping into conclusion.

There is no record of any official documents showing that we are buying anything, not in Nigeria, not in the US, not in the Nigerian Senate, nowhere.

...but during the 12 Tucano war plane and weapons deal, we saw official documents in the US and in Nigeria, we saw the appropriation requests and approval buy NASS.

When was this request made and when did NASS approved the weapons and money transfer deal? That's the question we need to answer first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Maxymilliano(m): 5:11am On Jul 31, 2021
I don't understand. The Minister of information said there was no deal of sort and Nigeria is not aware, now the National Assembly wants to meet U.S. Congress on none existing deal with Nigeria according to Lai Mohammed.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by velocity25(m): 5:13am On Jul 31, 2021
But Minister of misinformation said yesterday that there's no such deal?
Nigeria na scam,run by yahoo yahoo guys
From Mr Lifeless to Star Boy to all in the government.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by mushystuff: 5:14am On Jul 31, 2021
More will unfold as the days go by. You appear to be making definite, categorical statements that there is no record regarding the transaction in question and I daresay you are not in possession of all facts. Questions asked need to be answered and I am not sure you are in a position to provide authoritative answers the way you have set about here.

NGpatriot:

I'm not in a hurry to jump into anything and this is the reason why I asked them to first proof that we are buying anything from the US before jumping into conclusion.

There is no record of any official documents showing that we are buying anything, not in Nigeria, not in the US, not in the Nigerian Senate, nowhere.

...but during the 12 Tucano war plane and weapons deal, there was official documents in the US and in Nigeria, we saw the appropriation requests and approval buy NASS.

When was this request made and when did NASS approved the weapons and money transfer deal? That's the question we need to answer first.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 5:24am On Jul 31, 2021
mushystuff:
More will unfold as the days go by. You appear to be making definite, categorical statements that there is no record regarding the transaction in question and I daresay you are not in possession of all facts. Questions asked need to be answered and I am not sure you are in a position to provide authoritative answers the way you have set about here.

Shouldn't something unfold before we start peddling unconfirmed and baseless reports without facts?

When there no facts and documentation, you can say there are definitely none and you are allowed to say so until facts are revealed.

It's simple English, none means none unless you are able to prove otherwise and until then, no facts and documentation.

Sounds like you are trying to have it both ways..

1 Like

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 5:28am On Jul 31, 2021
This is the Tucano deal, it was logged in the official government register with our request from A to Z.

We had records and facts, but none with this fake and fabticated deal

Even sef, selling weapons to Nigeria and having good relations with Nigeria is in their best and strategic interest which was clearly articulated by the US State department just a few days ago

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by mountmoriah(m): 5:28am On Jul 31, 2021
Maxymilliano:
I don't understand. The Minister of information said there was no deal of sort and Nigeria is not aware, now the National Assembly wants to meet U.S. Congress on none existing deal with Nigeria according to Lai Mohammed.
nairalandankrah:
Lie Mohammed is extremely possessed with the fowl spirit of lying..this is no joke!
I confirmed it yesterday! shocked

elderly man for that matter not even knowing he can die tomorrow

if lie die's and meet the angels and they ask him, knowing fully well his is dead, his respond will be i just wake from bed, and i want to minister to Nigerians. I have a call from bubu, pls excuse me.

4 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Monogamy: 5:31am On Jul 31, 2021
But I thought Mr Lai said there was nothing like such deal?
Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 5:33am On Jul 31, 2021
Monogamy:
But I thought Mr Lai said there was nothing like such deal?

He's the official FG spokesman and he knows what he is talking about, unless you can prove him wrong with your own official facts and not den say den say..
Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Monogamy: 5:36am On Jul 31, 2021
NGpatriot:

He's the official FG spokesman and he knows what he is talking about, unless you can prove him wrong with your own official facts and not den say den say..

Wait, why have you been attacking me lately for no reason?.

Please stop

2 Likes

Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by NGpatriot: 5:44am On Jul 31, 2021
Monogamy:

Wait, why have you been attacking me lately for no reason?.

Please stop

Stop dodging, asking you to prove the man wrong wasn't an attack, it was a simple equest.
Re: NASS Plans To Meet US Congress Over $875m Weapons Deal Stoppage by Monogamy: 5:49am On Jul 31, 2021
NGpatriot:

Stop dodging, asking you to prove the man wrong wasn't an attack, it was a simple equest.

Like really??

undecided embarassed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Road To 2023: Mass Defection Hits Niger APC / Gani Adams To FG: You Can't Impose Hardship On Nigerians And Expect Silence / No Bomb Blast Or Attack By Boko Haram In FEBRUARY.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.