Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE (1049 Views)

MC Oluomo, Lagos NURTW Break Away From National Body / There Is No Better Candidate For 2023 Than Tinubu — Kano Group / Northern Groups: Allow Igbos Exit Nigeria Now Through Peaceful Referendum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Mrlola: 10:03am On Aug 01, 2021
The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has fixed November 1, to hear an application seeking an order of court directing the National Assembly to create a framework for a referendum in South-eastern Nigeria, so that Igbos can vote on secession from the country.

Plaintiffs in the suit are Kano-based Nastura Ashir Shariff, Balarabe Rufa’i, Abdul-Aziz Sulaiman and Aminu Adam while the first to fourth respondents are the Attorney General of the Federation, Senate President, Speaker, House of Representatives and the National Assembly.

In their originating summons seen by our correspondent, the plaintiff, through their lawyer, S.G Idrees Esq, has asked the court to determine whether the constitution empowered NASS to call for a referendum.

They alleged that Igbos were seeking secession through violence against the state.

“WHETHER considering the violent agitation for self-determination by the people of the South-eastern States of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as deposed to in the affidavit in support of the Originating Summons and the combined effect of the provisions of Section 4 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), and Articles 1, 2, 4, 14 and 20(1) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act 2004, the 2th, 3rd and 4th Defendants are not under a legal obligation to provide a framework that will pave way for the self-determination of the South-eastern States so as to leave the geographical entity called Nigeria before any further step is taken to review the constitution?,” the plaintiffs asked.

Idrees therefore prayed the court to order NASS to allow the Igbos leave the country.

The plaintiffs seek the following reliefs:
“A declaration that by the combined effect of the provisions of Section 4 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria ( as amended) and Articles 1,2, and 20(1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights ( Ratification and Enforcement) Act 2004, the 4th defendant is empowered to set in motion a framework for a referendum to allow the South-eastern states of Nigeria to decide on their bid for self-determination.

“A declaration that in view of the provisions of Articles 1,2,4, 14 and 20(1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights ( Ratification and Enforcement) Act 2004 , the 2nd and 3rd defendants have the power to call for a joint session of both Houses of the 4th defendant to deliberate on the agitation for self-determination by the South-eastern states of Nigeria.

“An order directing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th defendants to provide a framework that will pave way for the self-determination of the South-eastern so as to leave the geographical entity called Nigeria before any further step is taken to further amend the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“Such further or other orders as this Hon. Court may deem fit to make in the circumstances of this case.”

The development is coming amid the federal government’s face-off with secessionist groups in the country.

The Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB), led by Nnamdi Kanu, who is now in detention, has recently spearheaded agitation for Biafra.

He is facing prosecution on charges of treasonable felony.
Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Tony3245(m): 10:07am On Aug 01, 2021
I
Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by donbachi(m): 10:18am On Aug 01, 2021
Everytime no be cow..atleast,something good done come out north.

4 Likes

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by yanabasee1(m): 10:22am On Aug 01, 2021
I wish this was true ...

Cause by now, Abba Kyari would be a president of the arewa country and be collecting bribe anyhow

3 Likes

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by greenguy: 10:23am On Aug 01, 2021
This will eventually happen whether Buhari likes it or not. Everything about Nigeria is built on lies and everyday we see more lies just to keep it together.

Enough of this deceit of one Nigeria, we'll all do better apart.

1 Like

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Blackfire(m): 11:10am On Aug 01, 2021
Fake news..

The north owns Nigeria, by population, political sagacity, wealth (the richest man in Africa)

We decide who eats, and who wash the plate
Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by AntiBMC(m): 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2021
I speak on behalf of all valid/credible Igbos when I say, they better push NASS hard. Cos as long as we remain trapped in this gutter called country, we will continue to be a horrendous pain to quota system northerners.

1 Like

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Africana1123(m): 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2021
O
Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:14pm On Aug 01, 2021
yanabasee1:
I wish this was true ...

Cause by now, Abba Kyari would be a president of the arewa country and be collecting bribe anyhow

They’re just playing to the gallery...they know the Fulani hegemony wouldn’t want Igbo to leave as that WILL spell doom to their ATM ‘one Nigeria’! It’s just hot air!
Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by gidgiddy: 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2021
If this is true then I commend the Northerners. Many Igbos such as myself are tired of 'one Nigeria'

2 Likes

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2021
gidgiddy:
If this is true then I commend the Northerners. Many Igbos such as myself are tired of 'one Nigeria'

Bros, you really think something will come outta this? It’s all mind-games!

1 Like

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by favor914: 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2021
gidgiddy:
If this is true then I commend the Northerners. Many Igbos such as myself are tired of 'one Nigeria '
Admittance of a Failure, go to your Local Government & hustle, did anyone force you to come to the city? Chike & The River comes to mind, mumurism in motion.

1 Like

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Susu888(m): 1:59pm On Aug 01, 2021
Yes pls... we hv reached our limits with these sons of drug pushers, kidnappers and prostitutes.

Let them go nd build their Eldorado, make dem all pack out to their erosion ridden enclaves!!

Nonsense and yam legs

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Emergingnation(m): 3:09pm On Aug 01, 2021
favor914:
Admittance of a Failure, go to your Local Government & hustle, did anyone force you to come to the city? Chike & The River comes to mind, mumurism in motion.
Some one said, he does not want to be part of contraption, what is your problem about that....

Chronic unity beggar..

1 Like

Re: Kano Group Asks Court To Compel NASS To Allow Igbos Break Away From Nigeria NIGE by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2021
Fully in Support cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

ISWAP Bandits Carried An Attack On NA In Mallam Fatori. / NDA Attack: Aso-rock Has Been Infiltrated By 'terrorists' - Farouq Kperogi / UK Govt To Roll Out Their Own Version Of Buhari's Decree 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.