Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,762 members, 7,802,325 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State (16217 Views)

SOS!!! Someone Is Blackmailing My Female Friend With Her Nudes / Man In Military Uniform Seen Intimidating Other Road Users With A Gun / Man Drugs A Policeman Who Tried To Extort N150k From Him (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by eddyline(m): 11:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
Funny thing is that the government knows nothing about this. Youths lately just choose to organize themselves and ripoff motorist in this format. If you don't pay, they'd even harm you. The choose their victims carefully

3 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by grandpoh(m): 11:51pm On Aug 04, 2021
All this started when this olodo Dapo came into office
That was how I almost hit one around lafenwa market telling me I pass one way just told him make he look face wella I’ll hit you,you go die nothing go happen
Stupid set of people meanwhile they don’t have office around cbn oo it’s only trace and motor pack agent that has office there

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by menace001(m): 11:51pm On Aug 04, 2021
My sister had a similar experience earlier this yr, this same lemon grass ppl accused her of waiting too long before the traffic light went red. Whereas ,she was bn careful cos of a slow moving Tipper in front of her.
She was booked n taken to that same office, we made the payment by that kiosk in that pics, wit one stupid cashier receipt. This country is a mess.

4 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Decentdave(m): 11:53pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lazy Nigerian Youths,and in addition; Yoruba youth are the Laziest

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Westernequinox: 11:54pm On Aug 04, 2021
You are been victims of omo-onile,jobless people like this are in enormous quantity, they leave on extorting people, it is a quantum crisis in ogun state

4 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Obanaijacom: 12:08am On Aug 05, 2021
Na APC cause am
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Academicwizman(m): 12:11am On Aug 05, 2021
Is Dapo Abiodun the Chairman if the Abeokuta South Local Govt? That's the name that appears on the receipt.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Dindondin(m): 12:17am On Aug 05, 2021
jerrybone:
Wednesday August 4 passed like a dream to me. I have heard about the inadequacies of the Dapo Abiodun led Ogun state government but today hit me in the face and I still can’t believe it all

I was accosted at the Sapon area by people in mufti who looked more like robbers than government workers who claimed to be working for the Abeokuta South Local Government and I wondered what was happening because :

1. They had no uniforms
2. No name tags
3. No identification or ID cards
4. No face masks

They claimed I drove on one-way and the first thing I did was asked for the sign. They showed me some sign and I accepted and asked to go to their office as I was not interested in paying an undocumented bribe. I turned and saw that one of them (now wearing a lemon vest) had removed my number plate and I told him I was not going to go anywhere without it.

Another asked to get into my car and I told him he cannot if he isn’t wearing a facemask (National policy from the President himself) eventually, one of them went to buy one, my number plate was fixed and they led me to their “Office” close to CBN and asked me to park somewhere. I got down expecting to be led into an office to see how much the fine is only for me to be led to a restaurant. A lady said they will book a ticket for me and collect a fine.

TAKE ME TO YOUR OFFICE

I did not allow her finish and asked that I want to be taken to their office as it was not right. She said she is at the restaurant because she was monitoring the other cars and motorcycles arrested and I asked her to point the office to me so I can go pay my fine and she refused. I told her if she didn’t, I will simply go home. At this point, she asked that my car be chained. I ignored.

I kept insisting on going to their office and at this point the ignored until a man from another department came and told them to give me a booking so I can go pay to the local government headquarters in Ake. I was given the payment advice and I took a commercial motorcycle to Ake.

NO OFFICE

On getting to the headquarters, the revenue office told me they have an office where I was coming from that I was supposed to pay to and asked me to go back, they directed me to a certain MR Wasiu. I called him and he said he was in the complex where my car was impounded and he has an office there. I took another motorcycle back, I got back hoping to meet this MR Wasiu in his official office but I was shocked when he was sitting under a shed as he said he had no office and that place was just a make-shift place.

I now irritated, gave him the ticket and he asked me to pay 10,000. I gave him and he took the money in cash (against federal government directive on TSA)

The questions I have include:

1. Is it right for local government officials to collect stop motorists while not in uniform?

2. Is it legal to not wear a name tag or any form of identification?

3. Is it right for officials to be on the road without facemasks and outing citizens at risk?

4. Is it right to remove people’s number plate?

5. How can so-called officials work from a restaurant?

6. Why collect money in cash in violation of TSA?
You shouldn't v paid up to N10K. If you wan fight, you fight the right battle. Firstly, you said you admitted that you parked wrongly.
Secondly, you argued with them, delayed them while trying to look for their office.
I m not justifying them for being officeless but this is how some of them now operate. They v no office. So next time, when you know you are really wrong, you should v begged to avoid huge fine. You no suppose pay more than N1K or N2K. If N10K is chicken change to you, in Lagos you ll pay N100K if you committed similar offense.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by stanliwise(m): 12:28am On Aug 05, 2021
DrChukki:
Reading through the lines of this post, OP, I can see you're an educated and enlightened person who expects to see things function as they ought to.

But don't forget that's a Nigeria system.

I remember in my year 1 in the university, I used to receive lectures under a mango tree, so if any government worker should approach me tomorrow and tell me his office is in a public toilet, seriously I won't doubt him. Neither will I think he's illegal.

Even the payment you made didn't go to official TSA account. I guess they shared the money immediately you left and used it to eat Àmàlà at that restaurant.

At this point, nothing surprises me again in Nigeria. Anyhow they want it, that's how I will be doing it for them.

It's Lord Lugard that God will punish.
The system they made, the system we accepted, the system we now choose to live with.

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by nubiangod9(m): 12:32am On Aug 05, 2021
Those miscreant calling themselves parking controllers around isale igbein to sapon, are also beasts, they collect only cash, no transfers etc, and ponce on any unsuspecting motorists for minor things. I fell a victim once and it wasn't funny.

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by chukwuibuipob: 1:07am On Aug 05, 2021
sad Thieves.U can't report them to police (those ones will collect money for sewing machine ala that popular dansiki /jalabila tailor sad in town.@jerrybone, sad angry God will not forgive u of u dnt go to the state ministry of transport/gov office and report them
jerrybone:
Wednesday August 4 passed like a dream to me. I have heard about the inadequacies of the Dapo Abiodun led Ogun state government but today hit me in the face and I still can’t believe it all

I was accosted at the Sapon area by people in mufti who looked more like robbers than government workers who claimed to be working for the Abeokuta South Local Government and I wondered what was happening because :

1. They had no uniforms
2. No name tags
4. No face masks

They claimed I drove on one-way and the first thing I did was asked for the sign. They showed me some sign and I accepted and asked to go to their office as I was not interested in paying an undocumented bribe. I turned and saw that one of them (now wearing a lemon vest) had removed my number plate and I told him I was not going to go anywhere without it.

Another asked to get into my car and I told him he cannot if he isn’t wearing a facemask (National policy from the President himself) eventually, one of them went to buy one, my number plate was fixed and they led me to their “Office” close to CBN and asked me to park somewhere. I got down expecting to be led into an office to see how much the fine is only for me to be led to a restaurant. A lady said they will book a ticket for me and collect a fine.

TAKE ME TO YOUR OFFICE

I did not allow her finish and asked that I want to be taken to their office as it was not right. She said she is at the restaurant because she was monitoring the other cars and motorcycles arrested and I asked her to point the office to me so I can go pay my fine and she refused. I told her if she didn’t, I will simply go home. At this point, she asked that my car be chained. I ignored.

I kept insisting on going to their office and at this point the ignored until a man from another department came and told them to give me a booking so I can go pay to the local government headquarters in Ake. I was given the payment advice and I took a commercial motorcycle to Ake.

NO OFFICE

On getting to the headquarters, the revenue office told me they have an office where I was coming from that I was supposed to pay to and asked me to go back, they directed me to a certain MR Wasiu. I called him and he said he was in the complex where my car was impounded and he has an office there. I took another motorcycle back, I got back hoping to meet this MR Wasiu in his official office but I was shocked when he was sitting under a shed as he said he had no office and that place was just a make-shift place.

I now irritated, gave him the ticket and he asked me to pay 10,000. I gave him and he took the money in cash (against federal government directive on TSA)

1. Is it right for local government officials to collect stop motorists while not in uniform?

3. Is it right for officials to be on the road without facemasks and outing citizens at risk?

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:09am On Aug 05, 2021
Very simple and straight forward...

Firstly, my bro is a lawyer and we have had so many encounter with them
They always beg us at the end of the day because they have no case against us and we know their logic very well.

There is no law that establish this people and local government cannot collect any fine whatsoever on car, truck or bike.... They can only collect fine on wheelbarrow and bicycle the rest.

The reason for the extortion is this....
They are thug that worked for this present regime. When they was no place to give them food, they hide under this agency to extort people like they've done to you....

Both lafenwa , Saje , Oke Ilewo and others, anytime I drive pass, they ignore my existence and say within themselves '' motor lawyer ni"

Incase anything of such happened in future, threaten them with law or mssg me.... Na abk we dey

3 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by OmoOgunOriginal(f): 2:39am On Aug 05, 2021
Na their way. My sister also suffered the same fate from these government touts when she came to come urt on behalf of a client from Ibadan
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by hollas2jnr(m): 2:55am On Aug 05, 2021
234GT:
I dont even know where you can run foul of one way in Sapon.

The road network is pretty simple.

Maybe you are new new there.

Ake secretariat is closer to Sapon than CBN. They are just useless crooks.

Those thugs would book you for a one-way violation if you try to approach the bridge towards sapon while coming out from this tiny road between this bank (not sure of the name) and the Oba Palace opposite Oluwalogbon Electronics.

Road signs in ogun state are almost not visible, only to be pointed at when you're stopped. It's such a shame on the government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by hollas2jnr(m): 2:58am On Aug 05, 2021
Aarenasbaba:

They always beg us at the end of the day because they have no case against us and we know their logic very well.

There is no law that establish this people and local government cannot collect any fine whatsoever on car, truck or bike.... They can only collect fine on wheelbarrow and the rest.

They are thug that worked for the last regime. When they was no place to give them food, they hide under this agency to extort people like they've done to you....

Both lafenwa , Saje , Oke Ilewo and others, anytime I drive pass, they ignore my existence and say within themselves '' motor lawyer ni"

Incase anything of such happened in future, threaten them with law or mssg me.... Na abk we dey

Seriously??

How about those parking controllers, i thought they're under the same umbrella body?

I do not look forward to having any encounter with them since the last i had. Anyways, is this your digits - 08133086298?
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by zedegit: 3:33am On Aug 05, 2021
grin

When you hear words like Nigeria is a failed country or Nigeria is a zoo. You'll think it's a joke until it gets to you.

Op good thing is that you were not shot. A government that banned tweeter that was the hope of the common man means no good for it's citizens.

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by ruggedtimi(m): 3:59am On Aug 05, 2021
Haha!! Similar thing happened to me at rumuokoro pH, a lady they called woman leader was the tax collector grin. I was frustrated that day. They were about bringing a Lebanese guy too and suddenly their leader warned them not to ever bring a white person to the compound " I no want trouble oh" . Then I knew this men are illegal but somehow they have the backing of a top state govt official that has a close relationship with the governor.
I entered that compound around 12, left there by 6pm after paying 15k under abeg, worst part is when these guys pick you up, they will ask u to pay instant so you can leave omo if you try am na one chance you enter because they will eventually take you to their compound. once you enter the compound your car tire will be deflated and key seized. Unless you know one big PDP man in Rivers State or someone that knows their main boss that's the only thing that will safe your a$s but you will eventually pay atleast 2k to pump tire.. so many cars were parked in that compound, while I was there they kept bringing more cars and for a moment I said " this country na real zoo".
I called a military guy baba said I should sort things out with them na there I weak.

7 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by CoolAmbience(m): 4:24am On Aug 05, 2021
DrChukki:
Reading through the lines of this post, OP, I can see you're an educated and enlightened person who expects to see things function as they ought to.

I remember in my year 1 in the university, I used to receive lectures under a mango tree, so if any government worker should approach me tomorrow and tell me his office is in a public toilet, seriously I won't doubt him. Neither will I think he's illegal.

Even the payment you made didn't go to official TSA account. I guess they shared the money immediately you left and used it to eat Àmàlà at that restaurant.

At this point, nothing surprises me again in Nigeria. Anyhow they want it, that's how I will be doing it for them.

I do not see how what you posted affects anything.

What Nigerian system?

As citizens, we must continue to make deliberated, concerted efforts to end hooliganism, touting and extortion; and not try to justify it as the Nigerian system.

6 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by BinamRex: 4:26am On Aug 05, 2021
DrChukki:

Lord Lugard has nothing to do with, this Mr man. The average Nigerian sees corruption as a means to an end and you are blaming Lord Lugard. Did Lord Lugard tell us to be corrupt? If Nigeria was a prosperous country, would you have attributed it to Lord Lugard?

3 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by orikoku: 4:43am On Aug 05, 2021
Sorry at OP, those guys are thieves, even the government knows about it, they bought the one way traffic from government they've paid some certain amount to Ogun state government, these are the reason their one useless oga will ask them to arrest any offender and the guys who arrest you have some percentage they'll take from the money.

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:58am On Aug 05, 2021
Nobody want to protest but to write Grammer in social media
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by RussellRutherfo: 5:11am On Aug 05, 2021
jerrybone:

1. They had no uniforms
2. No name tags
4. No face masks

TAKE ME TO YOUR OFFICE

NO OFFICE

The way Ogun State is copying Lagos State excesses is crazy. Lagos State is the State that started teaching all these other states to do such crazy acts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by 1beat(m): 5:13am On Aug 05, 2021
The present governor in Ogun state NO SABI anything his running elite government using state money to feed opposition.

HIS ONLY ACHIEVEMENT IS THAT HE AS KILL OPPOSITION IN THE STATE AND DOWNSIZE PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION MASTER PLAN

Ogun State people are enduring as the moment, God will help them.

Employment of new teachers conducted by SUBEB after exam and interview the government cancel appointment.
And conduct another one call Ogun teach (contract teacher for 2years) so they can use the people they will employ as their campaign machine give them hope that they'll be permanent after he emger for second term

I regretted campaigning for him voted for him

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by roughneck: 5:29am On Aug 05, 2021
RSAV:

Sorry about that experience. I believe you have learnt some lessons, good or bad.
I observed you didn't object to the Route Violation (one way) you were booked for. Asides being a traffic offence, it could have led to a crash. Please avoid it henceforth.
To your questions, the officials that impounded your vehicle are LG officials, as you noted and stated. They are not bound by FG's TSA policy. Most States and LGs still operate accounts in commercial banks and collect revenue in cash or through accounts in those banks.
The mode of operations of those officials is crude and lacks basic training and decency. However, LGs just like other tiers of Government have the right to collect road taxes or fines. It's on the concurrent list in the Constitution.
It's best to avoid such issues in Nigeria because you're not sure of being treated in a civilized and decent manner.
Thank God you didn't hit a motorcycle rider or a pedestrian. You may have spent more than the 10k you paid as fine.

Admitting to a traffic offence does not necessarily mean he intended to commit the offence, perhaps the “one way” sign is not so conspicuously displayed at the point of entry to the road.

It is understandable that the state government is not bound by the FG TSA policy but does that explain why so called local government officials without any form of identification whatsoever dealing with the public will turn restaurants to makeshift offices and collect fines on behalf of the LGA under a tree. What happened to issuing tickets and directing traffic offenders to make payment to an LGA account in one of the banks in town.

Why did the so called officials severally ignored his demands to direct him to their office?

Why was he sent on a wild goose chase to the LGA HQ at Ake?

What is bad is bad, please let’s stop trying to defend extortion.

10 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 05, 2021
Titto93:
You paid 10,000 to be freed?
I had a similar experience yesterday in Onitsha, Anambra state, no 50,000 I paid.

I created a thread about it, but I don't know why the mods doesn't want to move it to FP

https://www.nairaland.com/6684256/obiano-finally-turned-anambra-state#104398474

Okay nah.

It's going round.

Later, they will say they are fighting corruption. When these touts thrive, you see police and army checkpoints imitating them. To learn bad thing is very easy..
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Nobody: 5:45am On Aug 05, 2021
eddyline:
Funny thing is that the government knows nothing about this. Youths lately just choose to organize themselves and ripoff motorist in this format. If you don't pay, they'd even harm you. The choose their victims carefully

They choose Johnnies

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Dre183(m): 5:54am On Aug 05, 2021
Aarenasbaba:

There is no law that establish this people and local government cannot collect any fine whatsoever on car, truck or bike.... They can only collect fine on wheelbarrow and the rest.

They are thug that worked for the last regime. When they was no place to give them food, they hide under this agency to extort people like they've done to you....

Are you related to Barrister Dotun Fasanya(former ogun house of assembly member).

Your dp looks like one of his brother I know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Planned To Kidnap Otedola – Robbery Suspects / Kaduna: ‘Bandits Holding 287 Students’, Teacher Who Fled Captivity Speaks / Hoodlums Arrested After Being Identified By Victim Two Weeks After Robbery.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.