Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State (16225 Views)

SOS!!! Someone Is Blackmailing My Female Friend With Her Nudes / Man In Military Uniform Seen Intimidating Other Road Users With A Gun / Man Drugs A Policeman Who Tried To Extort N150k From Him (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 05, 2021
ruggedtimi:
Haha!! Similar thing happened to me at rumuokoro pH, a lady they called woman leader was the tax collector grin. I was frustrated that day. They were about bringing a Lebanese guy too and suddenly their leader warned them not to ever bring a white person to the compound " I no want trouble oh" . Then I knew this men are illegal but somehow they have the backing of a top state govt official that has a close relationship with the governor.
I entered that compound around 12, left there by 6pm after paying 15k under abeg, worst part is when these guys pick you up, they will ask u to pay instant so you can leave omo if you try am na one chance you enter because they will eventually take you to their compound. once you enter the compound your car tire will be deflated and key seized. Unless you know one big PDP man in Rivers State or someone that knows their main boss that's the only thing that will safe you a*s but you will eventually pay atleast 2k to pump tire.. so many cars were parked in that compound, while I was there they kept bringing more cars and for a moment I said " this country na real zoo".
I called a military guy baba said I should find a way and sort things out with them na there I weak.

So funny...
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by cornoil(m): 6:31am On Aug 05, 2021
It's almost everywhere in the country. Have had similar experience in Aba & Owerri with touts. No matter the begging or dragging with them, the motorist must eventually parted with certain amount. The state government is aware, it's a form of settlement for the political thugs use during election.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by BakingPowder247: 6:52am On Aug 05, 2021
Theya re doing the job of frsc for them
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by hustla(m): 6:54am On Aug 05, 2021
Nigercity:

cheesy exactly what's on my
Mind
Ogun and bad news be like 5 nd 6
If not the governor telling them, that there roads wouldn't/can't be fixed till next 40 years, it would be gas explosion or something like that or herdsmen giving some communities over there a Chase.

Most times I do wonder if all this ogun news are actually real
Especially the gas explosion part

The gas explosion is real

E dey happen wella cheesy
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by EgunMogaji2: 6:55am On Aug 05, 2021
I hardly drive my car in Ibadan anymore and prefer to ride one of my bikes instead. My temperament doesn’t work well with the monkeys.

I still say that the constitution should allow liberal gun ownership.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by mastertek: 7:18am On Aug 05, 2021
Na they trying oo, where na dey see all this big money to dash tout.

I will rather buy axes, pepper spray, stun gun to fight all this tout, than giving them such an amount
Titto93:
You paid 10,000 to be freed?
I had a similar experience yesterday in Onitsha, Anambra state, no 50,000 I paid.

I created a thread about it, but I don't know why the mods doesn't want to move it to FP

https://www.nairaland.com/6684256/obiano-finally-turned-anambra-state#104398474
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by nemynely(m): 7:31am On Aug 05, 2021
Sorry for your ordeal sis, but wake up and smell the coffee - NAIJA IS ROTTEN TO THE MARROW AND BEYOND REDEMPTION.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Reference(m): 7:55am On Aug 05, 2021
The same recurrent lessons.
Elections have consequences.
Do not empower people you cannot control.
In other climes people go to the polls for the purpose of IMPROVING their lives on a personal and then communal basis.
Here we vote for all the wrong reasons:

Rewarding a bribe.
Sentimental trip.
Ego trip.

Those we empower know what they want, which does not include our interests.
Those of us who empower them do not know what we want. So we often get nothing.... but pain.

I am sorry. But the truth is that the summary of your franchise in 2019 is a man under a shed extorting you.
Next time, do better. You can do better.... to experience better.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by fowlyansh181(m): 8:01am On Aug 05, 2021
olu77:
They are police friends, there is nothing you can do.
actually there is , I met similar fate one time in enugu, they jumped into my car and insisted we go to their office , I agreed after much disagreement.. on our way, I speedily drove into a police station and just packed there immediately, and told them to charge me for my offense there and then, the police started gathering gradually and those thugs disappeared with style..

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:09am On Aug 05, 2021
Number one.
We need to move on from the blame game leveled on Lugard, he's dead.

Number two.
For a sane mind living in this country to thrive, there must be some sort of compromise, if not now, I guess it will be on a latter day.

Number three.
Our leaders are a perfect reflection of the kind of people we have as a country.

Number four.
Until we sit down and draft out a working system where where everybody will be held accountable regardless of who you're or what you know and do away with all the hogwash of our current political system, nothing will work.

Number five.
May God help us to help ourselves.
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by owagbeba: 8:35am On Aug 05, 2021
jerrybone:
Wednesday August 4 passed like a dream to me. I have heard about the inadequacies of the Dapo Abiodun led Ogun state government but today hit me in the face and I still can’t believe it all

I was accosted at the Sapon area by people in mufti who looked more like robbers than government workers who claimed to be working for the Abeokuta South Local Government and I wondered what was happening because :

1. They had no uniforms
2. No name tags
3. No identification or ID cards
4. No face masks

They claimed I drove on one-way and the first thing I did was asked for the sign. They showed me some sign and I accepted and asked to go to their office as I was not interested in paying an undocumented bribe. I turned and saw that one of them (now wearing a lemon vest) had removed my number plate and I told him I was not going to go anywhere without it.

Another asked to get into my car and I told him he cannot if he isn’t wearing a facemask (National policy from the President himself) eventually, one of them went to buy one, my number plate was fixed and they led me to their “Office” close to CBN and asked me to park somewhere. I got down expecting to be led into an office to see how much the fine is only for me to be led to a restaurant. A lady said they will book a ticket for me and collect a fine.

TAKE ME TO YOUR OFFICE

I did not allow her finish and asked that I want to be taken to their office as it was not right. She said she is at the restaurant because she was monitoring the other cars and motorcycles arrested and I asked her to point the office to me so I can go pay my fine and she refused. I told her if she didn’t, I will simply go home. At this point, she asked that my car be chained. I ignored.

I kept insisting on going to their office and at this point the ignored until a man from another department came and told them to give me a booking so I can go pay to the local government headquarters in Ake. I was given the payment advice and I took a commercial motorcycle to Ake.

NO OFFICE

On getting to the headquarters, the revenue office told me they have an office where I was coming from that I was supposed to pay to and asked me to go back, they directed me to a certain MR Wasiu. I called him and he said he was in the complex where my car was impounded and he has an office there. I took another motorcycle back, I got back hoping to meet this MR Wasiu in his official office but I was shocked when he was sitting under a shed as he said he had no office and that place was just a make-shift place.

I now irritated, gave him the ticket and he asked me to pay 10,000. I gave him and he took the money in cash (against federal government directive on TSA)

The questions I have include:

1. Is it right for local government officials to collect stop motorists while not in uniform?

2. Is it legal to not wear a name tag or any form of identification?

3. Is it right for officials to be on the road without facemasks and outing citizens at risk?

4. Is it right to remove people’s number plate?

5. How can so-called officials work from a restaurant?

6. Why collect money in cash in violation of TSA?

In fact I am so tired of this DEMOCRACY!. Let the men in khaki just take over and run this show. It’s just getting worse every day.... damn!

Atleast the men in khaki have a chain of command. You know how is in charge. This “our democracy” is like a full blown demonstration of the crazies... free for all thugs!

2 Likes

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by owagbeba: 8:48am On Aug 05, 2021
RSAV:

Sorry about that experience. I believe you have learnt some lessons, good or bad.
I observed you didn't object to the Route Violation (one way) you were booked for. Asides being a traffic offence, it could have led to a crash. Please avoid it henceforth.
To your questions, the officials that impounded your vehicle are LG officials, as you noted and stated. They are not bound by FG's TSA policy. Most States and LGs still operate accounts in commercial banks and collect revenue in cash or through accounts in those banks.
The mode of operations of those officials is crude and lacks basic training and decency. However, LGs just like other tiers of Government have the right to collect road taxes or fines. It's on the concurrent list in the Constitution.
It's best to avoid such issues in Nigeria because you're not sure of being treated in a civilized and decent manner.
Thank God you didn't hit a motorcycle rider or a pedestrian. You may have spent more than the 10k you paid as fine.

My brother, what’s the way forward in this country? We go continue to live like this?

These politicians know what to do but they refuse to do it. They deliberately make loopholes for their corrupt schemes.

It’s just a mess!
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:54am On Aug 05, 2021
Ogun state is worse , ajeh
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by prof2007: 8:55am On Aug 05, 2021
Did something similar at Aba some years ago. The thugs vanished like smoke. Very foolish and wicked set of people.

fowlyansh181:
actually there is , I met similar fate one time in enugu, they jumped into my car and insisted we go to their office , I agreed after much disagreement.. on our way, I speedily drove into a police station and just packed there immediately, and told them to charge me for my offense there and then, the police started gathering gradually and those thugs disappeared with style..

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by koolme: 9:30am On Aug 05, 2021
Quiet unfortunately enough, this didn't just started in Abiodun's Regime.
Reading your narration gives me reminiscence as I was once a victim myself.
In 2014, I drove out of the road beside the bank to link the under bridge , only for them to jump at my car, and the rest was history.
I eventually paid 15k back then, so my brother, you're lucky it's reduced now. grin grin grin[quote author=owagbeba post=104445941]
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Fourwinds: 9:39am On Aug 05, 2021
Pharaohny:
He no go better for Dapo Abiodun
He has successful transform ogun state to hoodlum state.

Na vagina governor Ogun state get.. You go think say na blocus he carry, na lie

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Carlyscales: 10:50am On Aug 05, 2021
It's a pity this happens in most part of the country.

The worst is how they harass all red plate no vehicles of small SMEs all over the nation.

The very small companies providing upto 80% of employment in Nigeria.

The governors used this same jobless thugs and touts to win elections by engaging in voter harassment and suppression.

And after elections, the govs pass ridiculous laws to send these rogue's to the road to settle themselves.

The worst of them is in Anambra ( onitsha), Delta ( Asaba,warri) Abia ( Aba) and Kano
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by GentlePEACE: 12:14pm On Aug 05, 2021
DrChukki:
Reading through the lines of this post, OP, I can see you're an educated and enlightened person who expects to see things function as they ought to.

But don't forget that's a Nigeria system.

I remember in my year 1 in the university, I used to receive lectures under a mango tree, so if any government worker should approach me tomorrow and tell me his office is in a public toilet, seriously I won't doubt him. Neither will I think he's illegal.

Even the payment you made didn't go to official TSA account. I guess they shared the money immediately you left and used it to eat Àmàlà at that restaurant.

At this point, nothing surprises me again in Nigeria. Anyhow they want it, that's how I will be doing it for them.

It's Lord Lugard that God will punish.
At your last two sentence though. This mindset wont make things easy but worsen it. We should kick against corruption and bad governance
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:47pm On Aug 05, 2021
Dre183:

Are you related to Barrister Dotun Fasanya(former ogun house of assembly member).

Your dp looks like one of his brother I know
No, meji meji lolorun da eyan
Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2021
hollas2jnr:

Seriously??

How about those parking controllers, i thought they're under the same umbrella body?

I do not look forward to having any encounter with them since the last i had. Anyways, is this your digits - 08133086298?
Those ones are the baddest, I swear ....

Lemme gist you about them.
Sometime ago, I was caught by this people and was taken to their office. The charged me 4500. I called my brother (Lawyer Nosiru) to come and caution them. He met me there within short period and the first question he asked them was
" you're under what ministry?"
" Show me where it is written that if I park a car in a wrong place, I will be charged a particular amount which you've charged my brother"
"This is a lawyer car, you can't take it"

I collected my car without paying shishi

I have had several encounter with them and they've known me well

"Na lawyer car, leave am"

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Dre183(m): 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2021
Aarenasbaba:

No, meji meji lolorun da eyan
Okay

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by ridbell01(m): 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2021
Just continue to share the story until the governor come to defend himself.
I worked with a logistics company in Lagos any time we were going to any part of Ogun state just like you are going to war. Too much touts , from Lusanda, Agbara, Owode, Otta. Imagine touts billing you 50k without buying anything from them and the state have worst roads in the world..

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by hollas2jnr(m): 2:54pm On Aug 05, 2021
Aarenasbaba:

Those ones are the baddest, I swear ....

Lemme gist you about them.
Sometime ago, I was caught by this people and was taken to their office. The charged me 4500. I called my brother (Lawyer Nosiru) to come and caution them. He met me there within short period and the first question he asked them was
" you're under what ministry?"
" Show me where it is written that if I park a car in a wrong place, I will be charged a particular amount which you've charged my brother"
"This is a lawyer car, you can't take it"

I collected my car without paying shishi

I have had several encounter with them and they've known me well

"Na lawyer car, leave am"

This is interesting... So they are just a kangaroo body really?

I can imagine how dumbfounded they'll be when those questions were asked.

We have no structure in this country sincerely

1 Like

Re: SOS: How Thugs Extort Road Users In Sapon, Ogun State by Aarenasbaba(m): 3:14pm On Aug 05, 2021
hollas2jnr:

This is interesting... So they are just a kangaroo body really?

I can imagine how dumbfounded they'll be when those questions were asked.

We have no structure in this country sincerely
That's where we find ourselves

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill Joe Mohel In Anambra / The Best (worst) Of Nigeria's Drug Barons, 419ers And Crime Lords / Model Onyinye Spends 8 Days In Kidnappers’ Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.