Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,231 members, 7,780,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:25 PM

Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine (20246 Views)

Samson Siasia Banned For Life By FIFA For Bribery, Match Fixing / Kanu, Eguavoen, Siasia, Akanni To Play Fund-raising Match For Distressed Oruma / Sanita Siasia And Jamell Barret's White Wedding In Atlanta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by naptu2: 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2021
See previous threads here: Samson Siasia Banned For Life By FIFA For Bribery, Match Fixing

Samson Siasia: Life-Ban Reduced To Five Years By Court Of Arbitration For Sport

Why FIFA Banned Samson Siasia By Naptu2

Siasia sues FIFA over ban, demands refund of $54k fine

August 03, 2021. 20:50

by James Ojo

Samson Siasia, former Super Eagles player and coach, has sued FIFA over the federation’s earlier decision to hand him a life ban from all football-related activities.

In 2019, FIFA had found Siasia “guilty of having accepted that he would receive bribes in relation to the manipulation of matches”.

The world football governing body had said the offence violated its code of ethics while the ban was also accompanied by a 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,000) fine.

On June 21, the sanction was however reduced to a five-year ban at the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).

The court had also ruled that the life ban handed to the Nigerian was “disproportionate” to the offence he was said to have committed.

But in a dramatic twist, Siasia filed a suit at a federal court in New York on Monday, challenging his initial conviction by FIFA.

In the suit filed through Nitor V. Egbarin, his counsel, the coach, who is also a US citizen, claimed his conviction by FIFA was a breach of his constitutional rights.

The football gaffer also contended that the federation lacked the powers to sanction him, adding that only the United States has the legal backing to charge him for the bribery offence.

Buttressing his point in the suit, Siasia argued that FIFA had relied on the Swiss bribery law to effect his conviction, adding that “Georgia does not criminalize commercial bribery.”

“In convicting Siasia of bribery, FIFA relied on Swiss bribery law. If any crime was committed, only the FBI or Georgia State Police could investigate and bring charges of commercial bribery,” the suit partly read.

Siasia also claimed that FIFA did not follow due process in its investigation into the allegations against him before his eventual conviction for bribery.

“Siasia was not aware of the bribery charge for which that FIFA indicted him until FIFA published to the whole world in or around Aug. 16, 2019, FIFA’s conviction and imposition of a life ban on Siasia from using the coach license issued under the laws of the United States,” the suit added.

He said that FIFA’s fine and the decision to revoke his license constituted “cruel and unusual punishment” which, he claimed, “violated provisions of the eighth amendment of the US law.”

In the suit, Siasia demanded among others, the overturning of his earlier conviction, a refund of the 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,000) fine handed to him, and a reversal of his five-year coaching ban.

The former Nigerian international also demanded that FIFA pays him damages for allegedly violating his civil rights and bringing his reputation into disrepute.

https://www.thecable.ng/siasia-sues-fifa-over-ban-demands-refund-of-54k-fine?fbclid=IwAR0vSiLhLpiMRpmAEeqMzD9xvN2hzRKYatymbXwwj80jkVI7ZTAs1nwgge8

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Muhylonaire007: 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by slawormiir: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Food for legal practioners

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Wealth7723: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Nice one. Sue their ass and get your money back. I’m with you on this one.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Lukenitheooo6(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ftc or I'm I dreaming
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by htdot: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Good one.. sue the racist fifa

5 Likes

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by kunleiky(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Oh
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by wunmi590(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Nice one, baba want to cash out big, no time...

At least before his 5years ban elapse, once he win the case, he would be awarded some cash, that's what he will use to enjoy his life till he sees another job

1 Like

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Nuelito: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Local man just dey observe from afar
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by wwwihy: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
This guy self

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by 1x2x3: 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lukenitheooo6:
Ftc or I'm I dreaming

Dreams

4 Likes

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Royalty7(m): 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ok another drama loading. But I think they should pay him since he never accepted or collected any money from the said MATCH FIXER

1 Like

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by phemmyfour: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lolz...o Fe cash out
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
The true case of the matter.

There is a notorious Singaporean match fixer known as Wilson Raj Perumal. He is notorious for organising a lot of scam/fixed friendly matches for African countries, especially Southern African countries. His activities have led to the resignation, banning and dismissal of a lot of sports officials in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Sierra Leone. He is also known for fixing matches in Asia and his activities led to the Asia-gate match fixing scandal. Mr Perumal has tried to fix matches in the Finnish League and the English Premier League.

Mr Perumal allegedly contacted Siasia and told him that there was a job vacancy in Australia. He was to help Siasia get the job if Siasia agrees to field players that Mr Perumal would select. Siasia had previously played in Australia in the 1990s.

However, the Australian club never accepted Siasia's demands, so he never got the job. Investigations into Mr Perumal revealed e-mail exchanges between him and Siasia. (Mr Perumal has been arrested and jailed in both Singapore and Finland for match fixing). This came to the notice of FIFA and the rest is history.

Mr Siasia said that he never met Mr Perumal and that he didn't do anything wrong. He said that he never accepted Mr Perumal's offer. He said Perumal contacted him by e-mail about a job offer in Australia, but the deal fell through because they couldn't pay what he wanted.
To us, this looks like 'Conviction by Association'.
If he has a good case, we wish him well.

But why was he not suing when they initially banned him for life before reducing it to around 5 years, which he finished serving?
Why coming out after seving your ban?
Cos no one will be willing to serve a ban from their job for that long, it is like going to prison for a crime you didn't commit.
Matters Arising!

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by saintol(m): 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Baba wan cash out
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by iamyemiakins(m): 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Siasia don finally smoke that Kwale weed for the real motivation to fight his main oppressor (FIFA)

4 Likes

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
htdot:
Good one.. sue the racist fifa
What brought about racism in this issue now htdot?

No be only racist fifa ............ na racist malaria! cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Drienzia: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
The issue for determination would be, 1)whether or not Fifa has the legal right to issue a life ban on a football coach,
2)Whether or not the law regulating issues of such should be the Swiss Law on bribery

On issue one(1) I stand in the affirmative, the law is that Fifa is the body that regulates all footballing activities in the world, however the caveat in this is that, such regulation is only limited to Football tournaments established by Fifa, thus if the Ban is upheld then it means Siasia cannot participate as a coach or an agent in relation to Fifa controlled football games only.

On issue two(2) I stand in the negative. The international criminal laws of crimes in this situation should be applicable, however since this is always in conflict with the corpus jury of every state, it seems to me that the Law regulating the “place” of where the bribery took place should be applicable in totality I.e, it is the law of the country where Siasia is alleged to have accepted bribe that should regulate the issue. The applicability of the Swiss law for me is a breach of not just his fundamental right but a blatant slap on “due process”

It is on this ground that I lay my argument that, Samson Siasia’s issue was not properly handled.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by iamyemiakins(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lukenitheooo6:
Ftc or I'm I dreaming
You're just like Siasia right now angry

1 Like

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Mophor: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
Damn Niggar!!!!!
Issokay
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by saintol(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lukenitheooo6:
Ftc or I'm I dreaming
na dream jare

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Highman1900(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
dear FIFA leave my Nigeria brother alone abeg...

1 Like

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by dammywizzy: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lol, all this lawyers still want to dupe siasia of his remaining change.. They know fully well that he is guilty yet they're still giving him assurance that he'll get back his $54k. Just serve ur punishment in peace man tueeh.
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by 0taPiaPia(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
Dem wan run oga siasia some huspuppi shit.

1 Like

Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by Baawaa(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
For you to be thanking God that life ban reduce to 5 years
Re: Siasia Sues FIFA Over Ban, Demands Refund Of $54k Fine by thatsleepboy1: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why Golden Eaglet Will Lift The Trophy In Chile / AFCON: Nigerian Players Sing Adekunle Gold's Song 'High' (Video) / Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.