Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident (5649 Views)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew / Nigeria: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos / 8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by okikijamal(m): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2021
1) Eruku (compressed form of erú ikú): Meaning someone who is a die hard thug, and fears under no situation whatsoever.

E.g.. Haaa! Awon eruku ti ya wo'le. Ki Olori di ori e mu ni bayi oooo

2) Waa gbayi: Literally meaning 'may you also be honoured'.. Usually said (in a cracked voice) when you have shown some kind of respect or recognition to street/ area boys. Often used along with 'Alaye' or 'Omo aye'

3) Waasere omo: Used in circumstances similar to (2) above OR to show appreciation to a nigga who has impressed

4) Signature: Ragged stab (usually from a broken bottle)

E.g.. Emi ni mi n ba e soro, o lo n palantia. Oga Ade, ja'ra e oo. Mi maa fun e ni signature l'owo kan.. (note the isale èko language)

5) le'run: literally means "to stiffen one's neck". Used to imply stubborn attitude.

E.g: Alaye, mi n ba e soro, o lo n le'run abi?.. Ok, maa lo nigba yen. (If you wise, don't move an inch. Just dey beg/ appease the area boy o. If hin feel you, hin go eventually free you and even hail u sef say u get sense)

6) 'Lere: Short/ Behind code for Surulere area of Lagos.

7) Claro: Another name for weed (igbo)

cool Maa da emu l'egbe e: Literal translation means "I will tap palm wine from your side".. Omo, if boys yarn dis one, na stabbing tinz be dat o. Only say na RED WINE go show grin

9) Ma rèpètè OR Ma wararo: Simply means "No go dull yourself o" or "Don't waste time"

E.g.. (agbero calling passengers) "Ajegunle enikan wo'le sibe, ma lo wararo"

Alaye, ma lo rèpètè ooooo

10) Kálá/ òkálá: Kala = mean/ wicked... Okala= A very mean/ wicked person.

E.g: Haa!.. Awon omo Ojuelegba yen Kala gidi gan ni!

*Wallai, Òkálá ni Eleweomo

The streets ain't smiling in Las Gidi mehn!

You gast to ja'ra e when you dey hood for Lag.. You must learn how to make very mean faces and yarn the slangs freely flowing, as it can save you a lot of intimidation.

Add yours.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by mountmoriah(m): 8:22pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ode: mumu
Olosho: prostitute
Awon boys: Them area boys
Ojo: police
Ake: police.
Omo ita: area boy
Omogboro: area boy and area girl
Una: omo ibo
Aboki: mumu, or huasa

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 04, 2021
I like Yoruba language Sha
Make person teach me

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by mountmoriah(m): 8:25pm On Aug 04, 2021
VenExchange:
Make person teach me
come and learn
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by longetivity(m): 8:26pm On Aug 04, 2021
Op are you one of the street urchins in Lagos

11 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by chatinent: 8:32pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ilu Eko ni aaye lati wa.

A day cannot pass without you hearing “alaye.” It's only in Lagos sb who hasn't crossed Ikotun go dey form accent .

That's how one bank marketer came to my place and was like “I’ll give you the best, thrust me.”

Meanwhile, is there a special voice school those agberos attend?

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Idamond: 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
seen
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Yusfunoble(m): 8:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ja’apaa - Run like mad

Ohun’da - Usually use by agberos to demand money from drivers.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ok,

Get more leads when you plan your marketing campaign with our WhatsApp bulk messenger.

https://www.nairaland.com/6524346/whatsapp-bulk-sender-marketing-course
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by YungMillionaire: 10:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Include: 'fashi' meaning forget as in 'forget that thing'

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by bahdpersona(m): 10:31pm On Aug 04, 2021
Ojo: police
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by CheedyJ(m): 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2021
Japa —- run for your outta Naija especially if you can

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 04, 2021
grin Ewedu nd Amala Language grin

I rather become Dump dan 2 learn Ewedu nd Amala language grin

Learning der language alone can turn me 2 Defile underage kid grin
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by techWriter1: 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2021
moll WE you one of the sidewalk urchins in Lagos
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Danjikanbauchi: 11:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
VenExchange:
Make person teach me
be careful before you loose your skull. cool
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by daveP(m): 11:43pm On Aug 04, 2021
There are many more. Especially when those Agberos dey respect babes about to enter their buses. Its just that the Thug Accent will stretch their mouth like ablution kettle las las in shape.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by folake4u(f): 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lewisjohnson:

Oh come on!
You reek of stupidity by this foolish post of yours.

First and foremost, it's not spelt "Dump" but "Dumb" like yourself.

Secondly, if you can make this silly joke about defiling underage kids, then you really need to be checked into a psychiatric hospital.
You must be having some sort of brain disorder.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by bahdpersona(m): 11:55pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lewisjohnson:

Hatred will kill you las las

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Kingcalls: 1:14am On Aug 05, 2021
U are speaking yoruba and calling it slang... AGBERO... I dont mingle with touts or tout areas
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by summerflame(m): 3:35am On Aug 05, 2021
Lewisjohnson:

U are a legendary fool..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by kramer: 4:05am On Aug 05, 2021
Lewisjohnson:

Dirty pig, the fact that you mentioned defiling children already means you've been thinking about it or have done it before. You're a complete disgrace to Anambra people, and you can't even spell.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Depressed101: 5:29am On Aug 05, 2021
okikijamal:
1) Eruku (compressed form of erú ikú): Meaning someone who is a die hard thug, and fears under no situation whatsoever.

E.g.. Haaa! Awon eruku ti ya wo'le. Ki Olori di ori e mu ni bayi oooo

2) Waa gbayi: Literally meaning 'may you also be honoured'.. Usually said (in a cracked voice) when you have shown some kind of respect or recognition to street/ area boys. Often used along with 'Alaye' or 'Omo aye'

3) Waasere omo: Used in circumstances similar to (2) above OR to show appreciation to a nigga who has impressed

4) Signature: Ragged stab (usually from a broken bottle)

E.g.. Emi ni mi n ba e soro, o lo n palantia. Oga Ade, ja'ra e oo. Mi maa fun e ni signature l'owo kan.. (note the isale èko language)

5) le'run: literally means "to stiffen one's neck". Used to imply stubborn attitude.

E.g: Alaye, mi n ba e soro, o lo n le'run abi?.. Ok, maa lo nigba yen. (If you wise, don't move an inch. Just dey beg/ appease the area boy o. If hin feel you, hin go eventually free you and even hail u sef say u get sense)

6) 'Lere: Short/ Behind code for Surulere area of Lagos.

7) Claro: Another name for weed (igbo)

cool Maa da emu l'egbe e: Literal translation means "I will tap palm wine from your side".. Omo, if boys yarn dis one, na stabbing tinz be dat o. Only say na RED WINE go show grin

9) Ma rèpètè OR Ma wararo: Simply means "No go dull yourself o" or "Don't waste time"

E.g.. (agbero calling passengers) "Ajegunle enikan wo'le sibe, ma lo wararo"

Alaye, ma lo rèpètè ooooo

10) Kálá/ òkálá: Kala = mean/ wicked... Okala= A very mean/ wicked person.

E.g: Haa!.. Awon omo Ojuelegba yen Kala gidi gan ni!

*Wallai, Òkálá ni Eleweomo

The streets ain't smiling in Las Gidi mehn!

You gast to ja'ra e when you dey hood for Lag.. You must learn how to make very mean faces and yarn the slangs freely flowing, as it can save you a lot of intimidation.

Add yours.
op Clara is the end of a weed roll not just another Name for weed
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by juniorstar(m): 5:36am On Aug 05, 2021
Kuro bibi kin to light eh
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Fathai(m): 7:05am On Aug 05, 2021
Kuro Ben no...... leave there first

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by BakingPowder247: 7:11am On Aug 05, 2021
Koshi danu

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by BakingPowder247: 7:11am On Aug 05, 2021
juniorstar:
Kuro bibi kin to light eh
Kuro nibi kin to lyte eh

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by KingMack(m): 7:17am On Aug 05, 2021
Quite impacting
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by drkay(m): 7:25am On Aug 05, 2021
cool there are many more:
Sapa- broke
Shingbain - no kobo

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Daniel058(m): 7:29am On Aug 05, 2021
Though I be Igbo ,I have Never BEEN to Yoruba Land but can still understand Yoruba Small Sha.

If I ever travel to Yoruba land I Will SORO SOKE like say I be OMO YORUBA because I will be Going there as EJA NLA with beta OWO for bag as BABANLA, So that people Go dey call Me OLOYE ,but If AGBERO come my side I will simply JAPAA like OLOYE Sunday USAINBOLT Igboho grin

Na joke oo grin

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by phemmyfour: 7:49am On Aug 05, 2021
VenExchange:
Make person teach me
listen to afro beats more, you ll learn some slangs like

Gbe body e

Ko po ke.....O Po gan, O po pa

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Gadafii: 7:50am On Aug 05, 2021
All these re outdated slangs naa.

Make the thread hit fp fess

Yahoo boys don modernize many of these slangs
Re: Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident by Coldie(m): 7:53am On Aug 05, 2021
Rubbish slangs if u dae find slangs come ph.

We for ph dae look Lagos people and der slangs as local people

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Academic Transcript- But Why? / ASUU Strike, Your Views And Objections / 2015 WAEC Result Checker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.