Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Change Of Name: What Do I Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Change Of Name: What Do I Do? (758 Views)

Newspaper Change Of Name Publication / Florence Mosunmola Otedola Change Of Name On Newspaper That Got People Talking / Newspaper Publication: Change Of Name N4000 Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 10:03am On Aug 06, 2021
I have been married for few months now and I am having this talks with my husband on which name he would want me to change to since he said he doesn't want his children to bear his family name but rather his name. He said, our future children will bear his name while I bear his family name and I told him it sounds awkward. I would prefer to bear the same surname along with the children.

What do I do?
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by chatinent: 10:10am On Aug 06, 2021
What to do?

So far it doesn't remove your wife status, if you reason with him and he disagrees, bear the family name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by Kriss216: 10:23am On Aug 06, 2021
daylay7:
I have been married for few months now and I am having this talks with my husband on which name he would want me to change to since he said he doesn't want his children to bear his family name but rather his name. He said, our future children will bear his name while I bear his family name and I told him it sounds awkward. I would prefer to bear the same surname along with the children.

What do I do?
You want to bear your husband name?

2 Likes

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 10:46am On Aug 06, 2021
Kriss216:

You want to bear your husband name?

Yes. And not his family name
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2021
Some people just make this simple life unnecessarily complicated.

2 Likes

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2021
ImaIma1:
Some people just make this simple life unnecessarily complicated.

How do you mean?
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2021
daylay7:

How do you mean?

I used to see these issues in the bank. A woman is opening accounts for her children as the parent, and she has a different surname with her children and it raises issues.

Men always coming to change name from family name to father's name as surname. Then the children will bear his own name as his surname. So he bears a different name from his children.

They just complicate matters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2021
ImaIma1:

I used to see these issues in the bank. A woman is opening accounts for her children as the parent, and she has a different surname with her children and it raises issues.

Men always coming to change name from family name to father's name as surname. Then the children will bear his own name as his surname. So he bears a different name from his children.

They just complicate matters.

So, how do u suggest this issue can be resolved. Should she bear the husband's name with the children or the husband's surname while the children bears the husband's first name.
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2021
daylay7:

So, how do u suggest this issue can be resolved. Should she bear the husband's name with the children or the husband's surname while the children bears the husband's first name.

It would be best if everyone can bear the same surname, whoever's name it is.

4 Likes

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 6:49pm On Aug 06, 2021
ImaIma1:

It would be best if everyone can bear the same surname, whoever's name it is.

hhmmmmm You are right. But what will you suggest? Husband name or family name.
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 7:45pm On Aug 06, 2021
daylay7:

hhmmmmm You are right. But what will you suggest? Husband name or family name.

This decision should be made after you and your husband discuss.

1 Like

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2021
ImaIma1:

well said
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by Ulunne777(f): 9:38pm On Aug 06, 2021
ImaIma1:

I was in this dilemma years ago and it messed up alot of things for me when I was trying to process passports n bank stuff.
Pre NYSC certs: papas name
NYSC and work:Father in laws name
Kids papers: Husband s name

Keep using your old name until he makes up his mind and you and your kids must bear the same surname or make his middle name and family name the last .Eg

Daylay7 Tunde(husband) femi(family name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2021
Ulunne777:

I was in this dilemma years ago and it messed up alot of things for me when I was trying to process passports n bank stuff.

Keep using your old name until he makes up his mind and you and your kids must bear the same surname or make his middle name and family name the last .Eg

I will go with this. He should sort himself out.
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 12:04am On Aug 07, 2021
Ulunne777:

She should let her husband understand that she doesn't want difference in names to cause problems for her especially when it comes to documentation. So that he can see reason and know how his decision will affect her and the children.

With that, they can pick something that works

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 8:40am On Aug 07, 2021
ImaIma1:

She should let her husband understand that she doesn't want difference in names to cause problems for her especially when it comes to documentation. So that he can see reason and know how his decision will affect her and the children.

With that, they can pick something that works
Waooh. This is good. Thanks
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by ImaIma1(f): 9:31am On Aug 07, 2021
daylay7:

Waooh. This is good. Thanks

You are welcome. I am glad I could help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 10:43am On Aug 07, 2021
ImaIma1:

You are welcome. I am glad I could help.

I just followed you.
Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by Divoc19(f): 11:09am On Aug 07, 2021
You and your kids should bear your husband's name.

Only your husband should bear his family name because, your 'Husband's Name' is now your own new family name that should be promoted.

daylay7:

What do I do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Change Of Name: What Do I Do? by daylay7(m): 12:43pm On Aug 07, 2021
Divoc19:
You and your kids should bear your husband's name.

Only your husband should bear his family name because, your 'Husband's Name' is now your own new family name that should be promoted.

My point exactly. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why The Sudden Change In Attitude Immediately Anyone Joins The Nigerian Police? / Lessons From Mr Ibu's Marriage Experience / I'm Back To Budgets After 4 Years!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.