Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine (127296 Views)

Poll: which is better 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder

4-cylinder: 31% (30 votes)
6-cylinder: 68% (64 votes)
This poll has ended

How Much Is Honda Accord 2004 (EOD) 4 Cylinder Engine! / Diff. Btw. Toyota Camry 6 Cylinder & 4 Cylinder / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
Owning a 2 V6 engines taught me a huge lesson. DON'T listen to what those clowns in greased overall always say. My previous 3.5L V6 Qx4 was a monster on the highway. It had enough torque and ponies despite its curb mass (and sometimes I have some cargo) yet it keeps my spirit elated and I smile like an imp whenever I engage in my little misdemeanors. Same goes for my current 3.3L V6 RX330. Imagine me doing 170-180km/hr @ 2300-3000 RPMS with windows all up and AC or fan turned on shocked this equates to relatively high returns on MPG cool

My highlander 2.4L i4 starts to ask for more fuel and increased engine growl accompanied with slight increase in vibration if I take it above 165km/h. I've taken it to about 170km/hr @3500RPMs but it took a while and a bit of lead footing, and still had slightly poor MPG than my 3.3L V6 RX330.

I only get a better MPG in city in my higlander 2.4L i4.

However, a V8 and above isn't necessary in Nigeria except you have a truck and you're towing lots of mass.
What will one use a V8 biturbo or V10biturbo or even a twin turbo V12 to do in Nigeria?
Run from Kogi to Lagos? undecided
where the road?
you wan die? angry

I no mind get that kind big high performance V motors for Naija though wink cool tongue

IMO, its up to anyone who wants to buy.

2 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by abidemidare: 11:34pm On Mar 03, 2015
My ODYSSEY 3.5 V6 na machine even my Honda EOD2004 V6 na monster. V6 all the way.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by staymore: 11:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
I just stumble on this thread and I have learned a lot. V6 actually is recommended.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by abidemidare: 1:11am On Jun 06, 2015
Yes bro. I can't drive 4plugs again, is like toy to me.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ricmayak1: 6:49am On Jun 06, 2015
I totally agree with all posts that a v6 engine is more powerful, smooth and responsive. However;

-Don't think you will outshine a light weight I4 with a heavy weight v6, especially the light ones that still have very good balance. The extra torque/power is already working to move the extra weight. That is why these I4 corollas and camry cars do wonders on the road.

-Please, don't try to rudely overtake an I4 full hybrid just because you think it's an I4 (especially on hills). It might disgrace you. Those cars have pretty good acceleration even upto the very top end. The reason being that electric motors have better torque performance than ICEs.

Regards...

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by nurey(m): 7:06am On Jun 06, 2015
Ricmayak1:
I totally agree with all posts that a v6 engine is more powerful, smooth and responsive. However;

-Don't think you will outshine a light weight I4 with a heavy weight v6, especially the light ones that still have very good balance. The extra torque/power is already working to move the extra weight. That is why these I4 corollas and camry cars do wonders on the road.

-Please, don't try to rudely overtake an I4 full hybrid just because you think it's an I4 (especially on hills). It might disgrace you. Those cars have pretty good acceleration even upto the very top end. The reason being that electric motors have better torque performance than ICEs.

Regards...

You better stop looking at weight and start looking at what's under the hood and the effort that was put in manufacturing the car.

The day I drove a V8 powered full size SUV, I knew that power pass power weighing close to 2500kg, it could still achieve 0-60 at 8secs with close to 300hp enough to send some I4 engines scampering for safety.

2 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by acadollar(m): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2015
I'm glad that many Nigerians has come to realise that V6 is better than V4.
In developed countries, people dislike V4 engines and see it as outdated.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ricmayak1: 7:54am On Jun 06, 2015
nurey:

You better stop looking at weight and start looking at what's under the hood and the effort that was put in manufacturing the car.

The day I drove a V8 powered full size SUV, I knew that power pass power weighing close to 2500kg, it could still achieve 0-60 at 8secs with close to 300hp enough to send some I4 engines scampering for safety.

"Engineer", So you are ruling weight out. I earlier agreed that V6, v8....... are more powerful you know.
The powerful v8 full size SUV you drove would have been quicker if it was lighter.
There are so many other technical factors we should not mention so that the thread won't be derailed.
Regards.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by nurey(m): 8:06am On Jun 06, 2015
Ricmayak1:

"Engineer", So you are ruling weight out. I earlier agreed that V6, v8....... are more powerful you know.
The powerful v8 full size SUV you drove would have been quicker if it was lighter.
There are so many other technical factors we should not mention so that the thread won't be derailed.
Regards.

"Engineer2" why will I rule weight out when I know how it can affect acceleration. Am just saying with the right engine A heavy car can perform majestically.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ikenna351(m): 8:19am On Jun 06, 2015
Ricmayak1:

Regards...

Focus on designing electric/hybrid vehicles is on fuel economy, not necessarily power or quicker/faster.

What makes a vehicle quicker or faster is the design, not how light. A lot of factors, including aerodynamics, is considered when designing a quick car.

And I hope you know being in a very light car on high speed doesn't make it safe, unless the car was designed for speed.

Ikenna
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 06, 2015
nurey:

"Engineer2" why will I rule weight out when I know how it can affect acceleration. Am just saying with the right engine A heavy car can perform majestically.
Most sports cars lay emphasis on mass reduction hence they use more light weight materials. However, they create shapes, mechanisms and features which introduce grip and downward force from the air passing around them. They also introduce aggressive gears and big horses+ elephants in their engines.

A hardcore sports car is meant to be light that's why they strip most parts away. Air condition, normal seats, dashboards, heavy steel wheels paddings and proofings.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by tmanis(m): 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2015
lomomike:

........big horses+ elephants........
LMAOO!!
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by eromspete(m): 6:32am On Jun 08, 2015
V4 engines are not in production anymore. Too expensive to produce for its size. Most economy cars use an I4 engine piston configuration smiley

V6 are common than I6 because of size/compactness compared to I6 (smaller crankshaft)

acadollar:
I'm glad that many Nigerians has come to realise that V6 is better than V4.
In developed countries, people dislike V4 engines and see it as outdated.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by samsonnex: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
My challenge with most commentator is the fact that we do not make recommendations base on factors....the simple truth is v6 is more robust that v4 in what circumstances and considering what and what factors?

1. If you are hoping to propel your accelerator at very high speed
2. You have a very good road or drive your cars not within the metros.

The truth is the v4 performs better when u are not looking at the speed and power of the v6. What is the use of the speed when I cant even run more that a 90 to 100km/hr. The truthnis you buy cars not only to throw around money but to also save money when possible....so with the incessant fuel crisis and traffic in nigeria of what advantage does a v6 have over a v4?

My conclusion is both are durable but if you hope to gain more in terms of fuel and maintenance go for v4. But when u dont mind please do v6 both are just fine except for that sole reason.

I dont believe that those that sales v4 of same cars higher than the v6 of the counterpart in africa are stupid....the true is there most be something the all can see.

5 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Emmyrano55(m): 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2016
Pls i want to ask if its possible to use v4 fuel pump for v6
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 10, 2016
Emmyrano55:
Pls i want to ask if its possible to use v4 fuel pump for v6

Your query is incomplete.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:05am On Apr 11, 2016
Siena:
I would only go for a V6/V8. Power delivery is much better, and so much smoother than the I4 will ever be. An inline 4 gets coarser at higher rpm, and to match a V6/V8 require the use of a balancer shaft.

And for those that feel the V6  is thirstier, think again. The extra fuel any engine demands is more to do with the engine capacity, and design. An old Peugeot 505 2,0 I4 will drink more than a 2000 Toyota Camry 3,0 V6.

Nigerians need to think beyond what their quack mechanics tell them. For those that feel an I4 engine's the bee's knees, would you buy a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6, then get your mechanic to replace the engine with an I4, just to satisfy his inadequacies when it comes to V6/V8 engines?

And lastly, no such thing as a V4, same way not all 6 cylinder engines are V6. Some are inline six (I6). Examples of I6 are the 6 cylinder engines used by BMW and Nissan Skyline R series.

Correct I was going to say or ask the bolded cos everyone mistakes the i6 for V6,but its very obvious in the mercedes as most of theur V6 has 12plugs and V8 16 plugs,let me scare u the more.lol .but the truth is even with the nos of plugs their economy cannot be compared to their older designs with the i4 and i6 engines.as technology advances fuel economy in cars is one thing they tend to improve on.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by femi9naija(m): 9:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
How's the performance of a v6 solara like? Fuel consumption, parts etc
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by dubemcapital(m): 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
Pls is there a 4clyinder hilander jeep that is 4wd
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by bolafma: 9:08pm On Jun 14, 2017
I want to buy a v6 2003 mazda millenia from someone that has no issue with the car but just want to sell because she got a new corolla, i took a mechanic to help check it, he says the car is okay but he wont advice me to buy it because it has a v6 engine claims it is not good because it is my first car, that it consumes fuel bla bla. I really like the car but the man totally discourage me please i need candid advice on what to do?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by bolafma: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2017
Owning a 2 V6 engines taught me a huge lesson. DON'T listen to what those clowns in greased overall always say. My previous 3.5L V6 Qx4 was a monster on the highway. It had enough torque and ponies despite its curb mass (and sometimes I have some cargo) yet it keeps my spirit elated and I smile like an imp whenever I engage in my little misdemeanors. Same goes for my current 3.3L V6 RX330. Imagine me doing 170-180km/hr @ 2300-3000 RPMS with windows all up and AC or fan turned on shocked this equates to relatively high returns on MPG cool

My highlander 2.4L i4 starts to ask for more fuel and increased engine growl accompanied with slight increase in vibration if I take it above 165km/h. I've taken it to about 170km/hr @3500RPMs but it took a while and a bit of lead footing, and still had slightly poor MPG than my 3.3L V6 RX330.

I only get a better MPG in city in my higlander 2.4L i4.

However, a V8 and above isn't necessary in Nigeria except you have a truck and you're towing lots of mass.
What will one use a V8 biturbo or V10biturbo or even a twin turbo V12 to do in Nigeria?
Run from Kogi to Lagos? undecided
where the road?
you wan die? angry

I no mind get that kind big high performance V motors for Naija though wink cool tongue

IMO, its up to anyone who wants to buy.

I want to buy a v6 2003 mazda millenia from someone that has no issue with the car but just want to sell because she got a new corolla, i took a mechanic to help check it, he says the car is okay but he wont advice me to buy it because it has a v6 engine claims it is not good because it is my first car, that it consumes fuel bla bla. I really like the car but the man totally discourage me please i need candid advice on what to do?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Kingdolla: 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2023
I've learned so much from this thread. Going for v6

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

24 Most Expensive Cars Found On The Streets Of Nigeria / Comments/complaints/suggestions / LIST OF GOOD AUTO WORKSHOPS IN NIGERIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.