Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa (6808 Views)

Jonathan Showed No Political Will In Fight Against Boko Haram – US Envoy / Electing Buhari As President, Disaster For Africa – ex US Envoy / Air Nigeria Denies Ex-director's Claims; Calls Him A Thief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Beaf: 3:41am On May 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigeria denies ex-U.S. envoy, Campbell, visa[/size]
By Johnson Ayantunji (Lagos) and Chesa Chesa (Abuja)

Abuja has denied visa to former United States Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell, who was to be a guest at the third graduation of the American University of Nigeria (AUN), Yola, owned by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.

Sources at the AUN, where  Campbell is a member of the governing board, said his visa application was subjected to frustrating delays until it became impossible for him to come to Nigeria for the convocation.

Campbell, who left the country a few years ago after completing his tenure, has been in the news of recent over his critical views on Nigeria and what he described as its fragile political system, including the zoning of political offices, and the Presidential vote last month.

Before the election, Campbell never hid his disdain for the zoning arrangement of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

In one instance, he called Nigeria a failed state which would disintegrate by 2015.

After the poll, adjudged by the international observers as free and fair, Campbell wrote a damning report that it was not devoid of rigging which normally takes place at collation centres

Abuja often dismisses him as a prophet of doom.

Regardless, Damian Agwu, the Director of Public Communications at the Foreign Affairs Ministry, told Daily Independent on Monday Campbell “Did not meet the requirements for an entry visa. If he had met the requirements, he would have been granted a visa.”

President Goodluck Jonathan also on Monday directed a review of Nigeria’s foreign policy to reflect current realities.

He gave the directive at a meeting with the Presidential Advisory Council on International Relations, chaired by former Commonwealth Secretary General, Emeka Anyaoku.

After 50 years of independence, he said, it is time to review Nigeria’s foreign policy, in line with modern realities and international developments. . .

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=33918
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Beaf: 3:41am On May 17, 2011
Good riddance to bad rubbish. angry
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Obiagu1(m): 3:48am On May 17, 2011
Why would they deny him visa? Does it mean that the government and Nigeria hate criticism? This is rubbish, he might even be more Nigerian than many so called Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:57am On May 17, 2011
An unfortunate decision.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by ektbear: 4:06am On May 17, 2011
Hehe. I guess we know what GEJ has been reading lately:

Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by johnie: 4:16am On May 17, 2011
I am very happy to hear this.

There are those who have been wondering if Nigeria could deny citizens of developed countries entry visa. Well, there you have it folks.

Here is a man who professes that Nigeria is a failed state that would disintegrate in a few years yet is on the board of an institution in that same country.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by zstranger: 4:35am On May 17, 2011
Thank God

Bravo to GEJ

This guy should never be allowed to set foot on our soil AGAIN.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by dustydee: 8:10am On May 17, 2011
;d
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by gidson12(m): 8:23am On May 17, 2011
yes o! If they can do it to us, why cant we pay them back in their own coin. . . Nice one
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by hollandis(f): 8:28am On May 17, 2011
Good deny him.GEJ you too much
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Rhino5dm: 8:29am On May 17, 2011
For certain this move is political.
Ironically thesame people allowed thousands of quacks to come in as expertriates. Competing and pushing out Nigerian graduates to the labour market.

Most of  which lacks the basic unsterstand of technology.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 8:47am On May 17, 2011
Let them deny him visa as if he was not coming here to manage hell for the few days. I do not see how it will stop him from talking or critique
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by joecrack(m): 8:51am On May 17, 2011
This is interesting!deny visa to not just a us citizen,a diplomat for that matter,anyways if the guy is known to be an anti pdp/anti jonathan he might just make this up,so it looks like the govt is tryn to sideline him cuz he does nt speak good of em.trust me,some of these americans could very mischievous
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 8:59am On May 17, 2011
joecrack:

This is interesting!deny visa to not just a us citizen,a diplomat for that matter,anyways if the guy is known to be an anti pdp/anti jonathan he might just make this up,so it looks like the govt is tryn to sideline him cuz he does nt speak good of em.trust me,some of these americans could very mischievous
There is no mischief in what this guy does, its because nigerians have simply refused to speak out we are in the mess we find ourselves. Imagine an election termed free and fair by the PDP only for them to turn around and shoot themselves in the foot by saying there were under age voters.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by monkeyleg: 9:07am On May 17, 2011
I sincerely hope this has been done for the right reasons, lest we confirm negetive views about Nigeria.

Journalist critisizes FG, gets detained on his visit from the US
Journalist makes comments on facebook about Delta state government, gets locked up by sss, by orders of the governor
JC critisizes PDP and the Nigerian governemt, ?

Let this be for the right reasons.

I totaly support the need to review our foreign policy, long overdue in my opinion, and I salute GEJ for this
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by playmode(m): 10:08am On May 17, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Nigeria denies ex-U.S. envoy, Campbell, visa[/size]
By Johnson Ayantunji (Lagos) and Chesa Chesa (Abuja)

Abuja has denied visa to former United States Ambassador to Nigeria, John Campbell, who was to be a guest at the third graduation of the American University of Nigeria (AUN), Yola, owned by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.

Sources at the AUN, where  Campbell is a member of the governing board, said his visa application was subjected to frustrating delays until it became impossible for him to come to Nigeria for the convocation.

Campbell, who left the country a few years ago after completing his tenure, has been in the news of recent over his critical views on Nigeria and what he described as its fragile political system, including the zoning of political offices, and the Presidential vote last month.

Before the election, Campbell never hid his disdain for the zoning arrangement of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

In one instance, he called Nigeria a failed state which would disintegrate by 2015.

After the poll, adjudged by the international observers as free and fair, Campbell wrote a damning report that it was not devoid of rigging which normally takes place at collation centres

Abuja often dismisses him as a prophet of doom.

Regardless, Damian Agwu, the Director of Public Communications at the Foreign Affairs Ministry, told Daily Independent on Monday Campbell “Did not meet the requirements for an entry visa. If he had met the requirements, he would have been granted a visa.”

President Goodluck Jonathan also on Monday directed a review of Nigeria’s foreign policy to reflect current realities.

He gave the directive at a meeting with the Presidential Advisory Council on International Relations, chaired by former Commonwealth Secretary General, Emeka Anyaoku.

After 50 years of independence, he said, it is time to review Nigeria’s foreign policy, in line with modern realities and international developments. . .

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=33918

Story story , just because he is telling us the truth,he is now a prophet of doom.May i remind you that it is the same GEJ who said he was not present when they agreed to the zoning arrangement and that it does not apply to him? So how come he hates someone who is is criticizing the zoning arrangement?

GEJ and his PDP are the greatest flip floppers in human history.Everyone knows the PDP is a party of cretins and low life scumbags.A party of people with IQ below 20.They appoint officials based on their tribe not based on merit.How does that spell progress for our country

GEJ is an agent of greed,he can't shake it off.He is rotten just like the others and his time will come.

The foreign policy he is reviewing is just a tall tale.Is this not the same man whose supporters made a poster of him saying yes sir to Obama? Or is this not the same guy under whose leadership the ministry of work was ordered by the USA to divert a road within Nigeria from one of their Embassy's property.Abeg leave story.GEJ is little chicken livered brainless moneky.

He is a western puppet whose main role is to ensure the Americans exploit Nigeria and suck it dry.

Nigeria denying this man a visa means nothing to him.Dude is an American,he hails from one of the most developed nations on the planet that has immense opportunities and people are rejoicing that he got denied visa to a disgrace of nation called Nigeria that cannot even maintain electricity for  up to 24hrs.

I don't know why Nigerians hate being told the truth.This is why we are regarded as a corrupt nation all over the world.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by muami(m): 10:19am On May 17, 2011
Very good decision! Most western countries do deny people visas if the actions of such persons are "not conducive to the public interest".Campbell definitely falls under this category with all the strenous efforts he has been making to undermine the government and people of Nigeria. If it was a Nigerian that has been acting the way he has been doing, the US would also have denied him visa and cancel any existing visa he may have. Let him stay in his country jare!
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by johnie: 10:28am On May 17, 2011
^^^
Gbam!
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Dotman01(m): 10:40am On May 17, 2011
playmode:

Story story , just because he is telling us the truth,he is now a prophet of doom.May i remind you that it is the same GEJ who said he was not present when they agreed to the zoning arrangement and that it does not apply to him? So how come he hates someone who is is criticizing the zoning arrangement?

GEJ and his PDP are the greatest flip floppers in human history.Everyone knows the PDP is a party of cretins and low life scumbags.A party of people with IQ below 20.They appoint officials based on their tribe not based merit.How does that spell progress our country

GEJ is an agent of greed,he can't shake it off.He is rotten just like the others and his time will come.

The foreign policy he is reviewing is just a tall tale.Is this not the same man whose supporters made a poster of him saying yes sir to Obama? Or is this not the same guy under whose leadership the ministry of work was ordered by the USA to divert a road within Nigeria from one of their Embassy's property.Abeg leave story.GEJ is little chicken livered brainless moneky.

He is a western puppet whose main role is to ensure the Americans exploit Nigeria and suck it dry.

Nigeria denying this man a visa means nothing to him.Dude is an American,he hails from one of the most developed nations on the planet that has immense opportunities and people are rejoicing that he got denied visa to a disgrace of nation called Nigeria that cannot even maintain electricity for up to 24hrs.

I don't know why Nigerians hated being told the truth.This is why we are regarded as a corrupt nation all over the world.
. . . .correct
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 11:03am On May 17, 2011
muami:

Very good decision! Most western countries do deny people visas if the actions of such persons are "not conducive to the public interest".Campbell definitely falls under this category with all the strenous efforts he has been making to undermine the government and people of Nigeria. If it was a Nigerian that has been acting the way he has been doing, the US would also have denied him visa and cancel any existing visa he may have. Let him stay in his country jare!
Is your country anywhere near important nations that should be arm twisting. Nigeria the dump of the world denying visa to someone who would have brought much needed foreign exchange.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by muami(m): 11:24am On May 17, 2011
blink182:

Is your country anywhere near important nations that should be arm twisting. Nigeria the dump of the world denying visa to someone who would have brought much needed foreign exchange.

Its sad to note that there are still people like you who do not understand how the power relations between nations work. Yes, the UK, US and most western nations are developed BUT that does not necessarily make them more important that developing countries like Nigeria. Unlike people like you, these western nations know how important we are to them thats why they are so concerned about what goes on in our countries. Do you think NATO and other nations would waste thier time and resources to go to a country like Libya if it is not important? Grow up man! These western nations need our resources to meet their energy needs in order to sustain thier development! Thats how IMPORTANT we are!
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by monkeyleg: 11:38am On May 17, 2011
@Muami,

Yes, I do accept that it is necessary for the Nigerian government to regularly review its foreign policy, and modify it accordingly, but I am also of the opinion that changes must be made for the right reason. Dont forget that we are at a stage where we need foreign investor, and we must send the right signal that we are open for business. Dont forget that as a country keen to operate effectively on the world stage, we will be dealing with countries and people with very strict corporate policies which might not tieing with the way we do things in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by playmode(m): 11:39am On May 17, 2011
muami:

Very good decision! Most western countries do deny people visas if the actions of such persons are "not conducive to the public interest".Campbell definitely falls under this category with all the strenous efforts he has been making to undermine the government and people of Nigeria. If it was a Nigerian that has been acting the way he has been doing, the US would also have denied him visa and cancel any existing visa he may have.  Let him stay in his country jare!

Two questions for you :

First question :Is the PDP zoning arrangement conducive to the public interest of Nigerians?

Second question : Was the recent election free and fair?

Please answer those questions  so i can determine if you are a honest Nigerian or otherwise.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 11:40am On May 17, 2011
muami:

Its sad to note that there are still people like you who do not understand how the power relations between nations work. Yes, the UK, US and most western nations are developed BUT that does not necessarily make them more important that developing countries like Nigeria. Unlike people like you, these western nations know how important we are to them thats why they are so concerned about what goes on in our countries. Do you think NATO and other nations would waste thier time and resources to go to a country like Libya if it is not important? Grow up man! These western nations need our resources to meet their energy needs in order to sustain thier development! Thats how IMPORTANT we are!
Good points raised but I still think we are unimportant, mind you I know of the energy struggle. Nigeria will be considered important by me when we can wake up and fully implement the powers that accrue to us via our resources. Its my strong belief which I do not expect you to accept.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Meldrick(m): 11:47am On May 17, 2011
playmode:

Story story , [b]just because he is telling us the truth,he is now a prophet of doom.[/b]May i remind you that it is the same GEJ who said he was not present when they agreed to the zoning arrangement and that it does not apply to him? So how come he hates someone who is is criticizing the zoning arrangement?

My friend shut up your dirty mouth and stop spitting rubbish. If Campbell is good at telling truth, he should start by telling America the truth about their greed and their involvment in the Middle East crisis.
Anamu

johnie:

There are those who have been wondering if Nigeria could deny citizens of developed countries entry visa. Well, there you have it folks.

Here is a man who professes that Nigeria is a failed state that would disintegrate in a few years yet is on the board of an institution in that same country.

Seconded
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by reindeer: 11:51am On May 17, 2011
playmode:

GEJ and his PDP are the greatest flip floppers in human history.Everyone knows the PDP is a party of cretins and low life scumbags.A party of people with IQ below 20.They appoint officials based on their tribe not based on merit.How does that spell progress for our country

Nigeria denying this man a visa means nothing to him.Dude is an American,he hails from one of the most developed nations on the planet that has immense opportunities and people are rejoicing that he got denied visa to a disgrace of nation called Nigeria that cannot even maintain electricity for  up to 24hrs.

I don't know why Nigerians hated being told the truth.This is why we are regarded as a corrupt nation all over the world.

Thank you so much!A relief to see some still got brains in nija.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 11:57am On May 17, 2011
reindeer:

Thank you so much!A relief to see some still got brains in nija.
We definitely have a few
Meldrick:

My friend shut up your dirty mouth and stop spitting rubbish. If Campbell is good at telling truth, he should start by telling America the truth about their greed and their involvment in the Middle East crisis.
Anamu
America is a world power that needs alot of energy, those middle eastern nations gave them a reason to start a war. If you are correct, Saudi Arabia being the largest oil producer has no war. To cut a long story short, you don't have a point.
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by mithel(m): 12:21pm On May 17, 2011
playmode:

i throw way salute for you.most confirmed yarnz so far.and for all u hating cos u were denied visa.is it only nigerians dat r denied visa.awon od.e
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Iyineda(m): 12:21pm On May 17, 2011
johnie:

When I read comments like this one I just lose all hope in the people of Nigeria.
Allergic to (constructive) criticism. smh
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 17, 2011
muami:

Very good decision! Most western countries do deny people visas if the actions of such persons are "not conducive to the public interest".Campbell definitely falls under this category with all the strenous efforts he has been making to undermine the government and people of Nigeria. If it was a Nigerian that has been acting the way he has been doing, the US would also have denied him visa and cancel any existing visa he may have.  Let him stay in his country jare!

You have said it all my friend!
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by jorel1(m): 12:27pm On May 17, 2011
Its good, If u make such comment against the US , you will be tagged Enemy of the state ,so i guess Campbell just been tagged Enemy of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Denies Ex-US Envoy, Campbell, Visa by agabaI23(m): 12:34pm On May 17, 2011
Lets put it this way.

The Nigerian Ambassador to the US who was recalled two years ago comes up to say that US only goes to war when there is oil at stake and look the other way when there is none.
Let him blame the US government for not acting on security information that would have prevented 9-11 or may be say that US wanted 9-11 to happen.
Let him just describe US in derogatory terms and then submit his visa application for a conference in the US.

You are sure his application will be granted? This is international politics. He is free to say what he wants and put all the fears and we are free not to allow him within our borders.

After the wikileaks, see how desperately the US tried to stop further leaks because of the non-flattering US diplomats' description of certain countries who threatened to severe ties .

Thank you GEJ!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Economy Not Growing - Sanusi / Who Is The Real Governor In Abia State? T.A Orji Or Ikpeazu? Live Pics. / The Sacred Ofo Of Igbo People And The Staff Of Moses In Comparison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.