Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

The Tribe That Is Proud Of Its Origin The Most By Their Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tribe That Is Proud Of Its Origin The Most By Their Names (652 Views)

Tell Us The Tribe You Came From Without Mentioning The Name / Meet The Koma Tribe That Doesn't Wear Clothes / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tribe That Is Proud Of Its Origin The Most By Their Names by bububuchii(m): 5:42pm On Aug 06, 2021
The tribe that is proud of its origin the most by name - Yoruba, Hausa & Igbo as case studies: today we look at how proud we are of our origin as a people & we check how true my findings are - Hausa (the entire North): by observation, everything about a northern name is motivated by religion. & this isn't just about Islam, Christianity too isn't left out.. Hausa especially only bear names of famous Islamic Prophets; few times will you see names like Maigari, Mairiga, Bawa, Maidugu, Danbaba, Danjuma,.. The names you'll see easily is Mohammed, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Yakub, Umar,... Mind you, when someone from Adamawa, Plateau, Taraba, Kaduna & maybe Bauchi tells you his name is Yusuf, Ibrahim or the tribe that is proud of its origin the most by name - Yoruba, Hausa & Igbo as case studies: today we look at how proud we are of our origin as a people & we check how true my findings are - Hausa (the entire North): by observation, everything about a northern name is motivated by religion. & this isn't just about Islam, Christianity too isn't left out.. Hausa especially only bear names of famous Islamic Prophets; few times will you see names like Maigari, Mairiga, Bawa, Maidugu, Danbaba, Danjuma,.. The names you'll see easily is Mohammed, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Yakub, Umar,... Mind you, when someone from Adamawa, Plateau, Taraba, Kaduna & maybe Bauchi tells you his name is Yusuf, Ibrahim or as colourful as the Igbo Culture is, too much influence of the the westerners is let in. Yoruba: this is probably the only tribe that is strongest in upholding its identity. You can find 10 out of 10 Yoruba People with Yoruba Names as their first & they'll proudly take it to the US, UK, Canada, Australia,.. From Abiola to Ifeoluwa to Adeola to Kunle to Bimpe to Bimbo to Olu to Ronke,... They don't change, only the Religious Extremists do.
Note: we can still find exceptions to these findings, but it's necessary to note that adopting ours is more unique than adopting what isn't ours & it places us better in the multitude ~ Baba agba thoughts
Re: The Tribe That Is Proud Of Its Origin The Most By Their Names by Freestainworld(m): 5:57pm On Aug 06, 2021
Igbo's answer their indigenous name, the only thing is that Igbo's like giving their children both Igbo and English names combined, reason you will see an Igbo answering Divine Oluchi Uzoma, In terms of language, Yoruba's don't joke with their dialects, no matter where you find them, they always communicate with their local dialect, the Hausas on the other hand, answers names mostly based on religion, not widely traveler's, even the ones who stays abroad, you hardly know they are Hausas.

3 Likes

Re: The Tribe That Is Proud Of Its Origin The Most By Their Names by LeoThaGreat(m): 10:51am On Aug 09, 2021
I am super glad my parents gave me YORÙBÁ names. No foreign name. It gives me a sense of pride especially when I'm in the midst of Non-(Southern)Nigerians because they are more open minded and ask the meaning of the name, especially oyinbo people.
Only dominant cultures survives

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

History Of Oke- Agbo In Ogun State / Firewood And Environment / Micheeeeeee Honi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.