Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) (52868 Views)

This Campaign Advert Was Done In 1993 By MKO ABIOLA - Throwback Video / Check Out This Amazing Olawepo Hashim's Presidential Campaign Advert / Shehu Shagari Is Dead. Former President Dies At 93 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by MrHighSea: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2021
campaign promises of 1983 will still be valid in 2050.

was this nation cursed with stagnation?
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Govocrete: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2021
Nigeria politician promises ends up on their posters and recorded speeches.

Since Alhaji Shagari didn't complete his tenure, we can excuse him from the evil our leaders past and present deliver to us
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by bizzibodi(m): 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2021
What this poser what to achieve is that shagari would have fulfill all his promise if he was not overthrown by Maj.gen M.B.
All I know is all Nigerian politicians are the same.....all thieves.
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by WibusJaga: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2021
Same promises, none fulfilled over the years. grin
Someone defined insanity as doing same thing repeatedly & expecting a different result.
Something drastic has to happen in Nigeria else we continue like this for next 600 years. God forbid

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2021
Penguin2:
Over 30 years later, we are still where we are.

Shame

No. We have actually gone backwards
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by sonofthunder: 8:18pm On Aug 07, 2021
yanabasee1:

What if I come up with all of those plans and it's merely a paperwork? But my mission is to be called a president and probably to loot the country to my satisfaction?

Having the blueprint is different but having the zeal to actually perform and deliver is self determination...

Again, the both parties you hate have experience to vet good candidates... compare to unknown parties that could easily sell us selfish candidates...

I don't think you got his point

Have we even gotten anybody with a concrete plan that ended up scamming us? No.
We've been lead by wrong people all along.

Additionally, he is saying Nigerians are gullible and lazy, hence they keep voting in wolfs.
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by juman(m): 8:19pm On Aug 07, 2021
One nigeria has failed us.

Vote out pdp and apc.
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Gilden115: 9:00pm On Aug 07, 2021
Beancounter94:

1.I am not blaming anyone.

2.I am stating the reality. We are not a rich nation. We are a resource dependent nation. A dutch diseased nation.

3.I would vote for the person , whoever the party, who is ready to face the reality of our poverty and take measures to improve it...by not giving everyone a free gift.(Which is why I hate APC and PDP).

Nigeria must leave oil behind and make the hard choices to become an indstrial nation. And we must be realistic. We cannot have a Ferrari with tricycle money.

Excellent view
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Godwin25king: 9:02pm On Aug 07, 2021
Non has been achieved
Shame cool
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Almaigaa: 9:17pm On Aug 07, 2021
Penguin2:
Over 30 years later, we are still where we are.

Shame

Other Regions have moved forward, except the EAST.

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by yanabasee1(m): 9:17pm On Aug 07, 2021
Penguin2:

You are right! I’m not arguing it.

Fashola showed a prototype of what wider tax net can do when he was governor in Lagos.

Everybody in Lagos was taxed no matter the size of business. But they were happily paying the tax because they were seeing it being put to use.

If all taxable worker or business can be captured into the federal govt tax net, it will no doubt provide a lot of fund to offset our loan and to fund further infrastructural development.

But it all comes back to leadership.

You need somebody with brain to ensure wider tax net and to also put the money to good use.

And that’s where people like Fashola and Peter Obi come in because they’ve done it before.

Don’t forget that this administration has increased VAT to 7.5 percent. And extended VAT to wider variety of goods and services including recharge cards. That’s more money in their pocket. But what have they to show for it?

Mynd44

Had this debate with someone on this platform before and even told him that at this point we're over taxed as we pay for VAT for everything that involves transaction.... And it's a VAT per transaction. If you make withdrawal of money twice you get taxed twice... if you make transaction of many for a thousand times in a day, you pay VAT for a thousand times for that day...

Yet nothing to show for...

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by jeffoe(m): 9:26pm On Aug 07, 2021
Penguin2:

I agree with your points 1-3.

However, increment in tax or making sure more people are captured in tax payment might end up being more money for them to steal.

It goes down to leadership.

We’ve not had good leadership. That’s it.

And do not blame those who support PDP, would you rather APC continues? And do you wanna talk about third force or choice? Do you not know our system? Do you really think that a good candidate in a party without nationwide structure can win election in Nigeria?

Some of you guys need to stop being utopic about these things and be more realistic.
if you paid taxes you would be concerned on how your tax money is spent, raising the tax to the gdp ratio will go a long way in reducing kickback in contracting , state capture and the pseudo crony capitalism we operate . Politician know this, that is why they aren't accountable to any one.

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Penguin2: 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2021
yanabasee1:

Had this debate with someone on this platform before and even told him that at this point we're over taxed as we pay for VAT for everything that involves transaction.... And it's a VAT per transaction. If you make withdrawal of money twice you get taxed twice... if you make transaction of many for a thousand times in a day, you pay VAT for a thousand times for that day...

Yet nothing to show for...

Exactly!

The argument of low taxation has largely been defeated by the new tax regime of 7.5 VAT on wide variety of transactions no matter how many times you carry it out.

You would be surprised at the figures they make every day but yet nothing.

Nigeria’s problem is leadership. We’ve not had a leader with brain.

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Penguin2: 9:36pm On Aug 07, 2021
Almaigaa:

Other Regions have moved forward, except the EAST.

Your attempt at being funny failed woefully.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by UCHIHAmask: 9:54pm On Aug 07, 2021
yanabasee1:

According to your no. 3.... How will you know the person that will do all of those things you stated?
nobody can do it,even if gandhi or budha become our president,they are only going to slow down the rate of decay...
we need a change in the system of goverment(state autonomy/policing,restructuring,regional system,true federalism etc)as long as we are still using this current system there would be no light in the tunnel,aside the VAT issue,this system of goverment allows for gross embezzlement and corruption which is the major problem we have,nevertheless,it seems to me that nigerians don't want to push for it so i made another choice!

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by yanabasee1(m): 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2021
Penguin2:

Exactly!

The argument of low taxation has largely been defeated by the new tax regime of 7.5 VAT on wide variety of transactions no matter how many times you carry it out.

We do... But because of the rot in the system... Nobody's willing to step on toes to set things right...

There are people holding Buhari on his balls that he can't dare them... There are people that the Vice president is loyal to, who gave him the privilege to become what he is today and so he wouldn't dare them...

We just need someone that will be bold enough to restructure this country....

I am not a fan of Tinubu, but I believe that if he becomes the pre6today... he will restructure this country... so that he'd be able to have control of the SW...

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by HERITAGEFASHION(m): 10:35pm On Aug 07, 2021
Who Else Saw "Electricity And Water For A Every............."

Now That You Are Reading This,. DID YOU EVEN HAVE LIGHT RIGHT NOW?

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Tutu19: 4:57am On Aug 08, 2021
yanabasee1:

Tell me the one you think is going to make the change and a better Nigeria....

Stop blaming people....

Who's your preferred candidate? Who's that person that you'd love to vote for... Knowing that this person is going to deliver?

Seems we are running out of ideas and you seems to know it all...
engine no good, driver is inconsequential..
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Deadlytruth(m): 5:18am On Aug 08, 2021
UncleKoboko:
Anyone who ever votes for AWUSA-FOOL ANI again will never know peace!
As if southerners who have led Nigeria are any better. Mind you that Shagari government was put in place by a Southerner Obasanjo who some indomie generation youths call their hero.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Deadlytruth(m): 5:22am On Aug 08, 2021
Govocrete:
Nigeria politician promises ends up on their posters and recorded speeches.

Since Alhaji Shagari didn't complete his tenure, we can excuse him from the evil our leaders past and present deliver to us
So a man who spent full four years and three months in power and his administration recorded massive looting and recession could be excused?

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Deadlytruth(m): 5:35am On Aug 08, 2021
Penguin2:

Exactly!

Nigeria's problem is followership because there is no election season that doesn't feature a potentially good leader with a good track record, but voters would normally not look the way of such but prefer the obviously empty one. Imagine Shagari winning an election in which Awolowo contested. Also imagine Yaradua winning an election in which Pat Utomi contested. Imagine Obasanjo winning an election in which Olu Falae contested. Then imagine Buhari winning an election in which some other better candidates (not Atiku) contested. All these choices are based on ethnoreligious sentiments of voters who ignore the candidates that have the training and skills to transform the economy, but ironically the same voters turn around to expect good governance and economic improvement after voting based on ethnicity and religion. Does that make sense? You think APC couldn't have fielded Fashola in 2015 if they were sure Nigerians would actually vote entirely based on issues and track record without any recourse to zoning and religious considerations? In fact with Fashola's administrative wizzadry and success in Lagos making him a sellable president material, ACN wouldn't have ever gone into a merger with CPC to give birth to APC if Nigerians had had any records of voting purely on policy issues and genuine performance records.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by redsun(m): 5:41am On Aug 08, 2021
His reign ushered in the systematic and endemic destruction of Nigeria. It was the beginning of the legalization of myopia and endemic corruption in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Deadlytruth(m): 5:51am On Aug 08, 2021
yanabasee1:

We do... But because of the rot in the system... Nobody's willing to step on toes to set things right...

There are people holding Buhari on his balls that he can't dare them... There are people that the Vice president is loyal to, who gave him the privilege to become what he is today and so he wouldn't dare them...

We just need someone that will be bold enough to restructure this country....

I am not a fan of Tinubu, but I believe that if he becomes the pre6today... he will restructure this country... so that he'd be able to have control of the SW...
Is the duty of restructuring really that of the president or the national assembly? While a Tinubu presidency might be more positively disposed to restructuring given his stance as Lagos governor as regards creation of LCDAs and his being the only non-Southsouth governor that used to attend the Southsouth governors meetings to agitate for resource control, I however doubt any hope of a restructured Nigeria becoming a reality in his reign as long as Northerners remain the majority in the national assembly. Even the legislators from Benue State will likely vote against a restructuring bill. Forget about all these anti-core North posturing by Ortom and some other Middle Beltern politicians. Their water always finds its level back to the same core-North whenever push comes to shove.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by chukel(m): 6:08am On Aug 08, 2021
Beancounter94:

Because we insist on getting basic things like power and so on on a very low income which comes from

1.Resources whose prices we don't control, and whose prices are never at the level we want it to be

2.Taxes from only 30% of the taxable population and a very low tax to gdp ratio

3.Low prices for power and petrol...which are meant to help the poor...but which long term mean that both sectors are not profitable to pay for improvements and new facilities to improve power and petrol production at home.

And we don't get good leaders because most of you on this site support one bad leader against another. Some of you are still defending APC while some of you are defending PDP...despite the mess both have made since 1999.
i have never seen truth and sense spoken bare on this site as this.
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by chukel(m): 6:16am On Aug 08, 2021
jeffoe:
if you paid taxes you would be concerned on how your tax money is spent, raising the tax to the gdp ratio will go a long way in reducing kickback in contracting , state capture and the pseudo crony capitalism we operate . Politician know this, that is why they aren't accountable to any one.
these guys you are speaking these grammar to, do not understand the relationship between tax and gdp. They do not understand the basic principles of taxation. Everything is at the surface level of wishful thinking for them.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by chukel(m): 6:20am On Aug 08, 2021
Beancounter94:

Maybe it is you.?

You can be the person who will lead us from oil dependency to industrial dependency.

So, if you come out with a good plan for that, I will vote for you.

Until then, I am not looking for the superhero that would do everything including wash your hands for you...that you want. THat most Nigerians want.

That's all I have for you. Good morning.
God bless you bro. The most realistic message i have seen of recent on nairaland. Nigerians want no form of responsibility but want everything free. Absolutely everything. They cite saner clime where nothing is free.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by chukel(m): 6:22am On Aug 08, 2021
Penguin2:

I agree with your points 1-3.

However, increment in tax or making sure more people are captured in tax payment might end up being more money for them to steal.

It goes down to leadership.

We’ve not had good leadership. That’s it.

And do not blame those who support PDP, would you rather APC continues? And do you wanna talk about third force or choice? Do you not know our system? Do you really think that a good candidate in a party without nationwide structure can win election in Nigeria?

Some of you guys need to stop being utopic about these things and be more realistic.
he is actually more realistic than you. He talked about supporting individuals. You talk about supporting party. You are one of the major problems we have. You are far from realism bro.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Penguin2: 6:42am On Aug 08, 2021
Deadlytruth:

Nigeria's problem is followership because there is no election season that doesn't feature a potentially good leader with a good track record, but voters would normally not look the way of such but prefer the obviously empty one. Imagine Shagari winning an election in which Awolowo contested. Also imagine Yaradua winning an election in which Pat Utomi contested. Imagine Obasanjo winning an election in which Olu Falae contested. Then imagine Buhari winning an election in which some other better candidates (not Atiku) contested. All these choices are based on ethnoreligious sentiments of voters who ignore the candidates that have the training and skills to transform the economy, but ironically the same voters turn around to expect good governance and economic improvement after voting based on ethnicity and religion. Does that make sense? You think APC couldn't have fielded Fashola in 2015 if they were sure Nigerians would actually vote entirely based on issues and track record without any recourse to zoning and religious considerations? In fact with Fashola's administrative wizzadry and success in Lagos making him a sellable president material, ACN wouldn't have ever gone into a merger with CPC to give birth to APC if Nigerians had had any records of voting purely on policy issues and genuine performance records.

You are right!

But would you blame us? Imagine choosing to vote Moghalu in the last election, that would only but widen the victory prospects of APC or whichever party in power who would always deploy all arsenal of government to rig themselves to power.

Imagine where results of parties that have their agents at the polling unit is rewritten, how much more a party without an agent at the polling unit.

Another huge factor is ethno-religious sentiments of voters with large chunk of these voters coming from illiterate north, don’t blame parties who choose candidates who appeal to their emotions rather than their brains.

Forget, our problem multi-faceted.

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by Penguin2: 6:47am On Aug 08, 2021
chukel:
he is actually more realistic than you. He talked about supporting individuals. You talk about supporting party. You are one of the major problems we have. You are far from realism bro.

I have no strength to argue with you.

In 2023, vote Moghalu in YDP. Hopefully, your vote makes him victorious or brighten the chance of victory for whoever APC presents.

Don’t forget to tell people around you to follow your footstep and waste their votes too.
Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by 9jaRealist: 7:09am On Aug 08, 2021
Beancounter94:

Because we insist on getting basic things like power and so on on a very low income which comes from

1.Resources whose prices we don't control, and whose prices are never at the level we want it to be

3.Low prices for power and petrol...which are meant to help the poor...but which long term mean that both sectors are not profitable to pay for improvements and new facilities to improve power and petrol production at home.

And we don't get good leaders because most of you on this site support one bad leader against another. Some of you are still defending APC while some of you are defending PDP...despite the mess both have made since 1999.

30% is a very optimistic guesstimate…
Nigerians are getting exactly what they pay for (or more accurately, don’t pay for)!
>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by 9jaRealist: 7:14am On Aug 08, 2021
Deadlytruth:
Is the duty of restructuring really that of the president or the national assembly? While a Tinubu presidency might be more positively disposed to restructuring given his stance as Lagos governor as regards creation of LCDAs and his being the only non-Southsouth governor that used to attend the Southsouth governors meetings to agitate for resource control, I however doubt any hope of a restructured Nigeria becoming a reality in his reign as long as Northerners remain the majority in the national assembly. Even the legislators from Benue State will likely vote against a restructuring bill. Forget about all these anti-core North posturing by Ortom and some other Middle Beltern politicians. Their water always finds its level back to the same core-North whenever push comes to shove.

So-called “resource control” is NOT substantive restructuring…
Unless you merely mean restructuring the LOOTING from Abuja to state capitals.
>

1 Like

Re: Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) by officialfoodie: 7:34am On Aug 08, 2021
Beancounter94:

Your points make some sense but you see, we live in a country with very weak institutions and run on a failed structure. Our unity system has done more harm than good and our constitution is one that favours the political class over the masses. No matter what party a good leader comes from, if the system is one designed to wreck its economy by not being creative, ensuring proper use of its resources to grow, cause division by favouring one region over the other, allows successive governments to do more for 'their own people' instead of being a government for all and a government that is not compelled to be answerable to the people, we will never move forward.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seyi Tinubu And Layal Jade-Holm's Pre-weddding Photos / Withdraw Your Petition Against Tinubu, Apapa Faction Tells Obi / David Mark’s Daughter, Blessing Onuh Dumps PDP After Losing Reps Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.