Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,076 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (25386 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:33am On Oct 25, 2021
Ozilxavier:
Engineer Udem, please help me out here .My Acer travelmate won't turn on . I was gaming one evening like that and Nepa ceased power, but I continued. After some time the system froze, I waited for minutes so I had to force shut it by holding down the power button. It did shutdown, but the orange battery Indicator light kept blinking for days, till the battery drained out. Nepa finally restored power and it charged really fine, (battery Indicator working perfectly). However the mobo has refused to turn on since then. I noticed in the dark, whenever I open the lid or push the power button, the power and battery Indicators (orange and blue light) flashes in a millisecond and goes off, it's almost unnoticeable.
Also when I hold( ESC+Fn+POWER ) BIOS) the power Indicator(blue light) starts blinking every two seconds continuously. But it still doesn't turn on.
What marvels me, Is that the sleep charge USB port still functions flawlessly, it still charges my phone.It's a non removable battery, so I googled and I've done the pinhole battery reset and power button stuff to discharge static electricity but to no avail. I even had to find a way to detach the battery to power it on through the PSU. But the milliseconds stuff is all I get.

If you can access the cmos battery, take it out then connect the charger and see if it will come up, if problem persist, I can help you fix it if you're in lag.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Ozilxavier: 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2021
Just tried that, still no power.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:35pm On Oct 26, 2021
Hp spectre

The mobo was brought in for repair, the engr said whenever the charger is plugged in, it constantly flashed dim white light on the charging port and it doesn't turn on.

First thing first, I checked the impedance of all the coils and they were OK, then I check the impedance of charger and battery CLR and noticed the impedance of charger CLR was low.

I got 0.209 instead of 0.400+
That means there is a partial short on that line, 19v line, the best way to easily locate the culprit is to inject a low volt of 1v or 0.5mv on the 19v line and the culprit will be found this is to protect the cpu cos anything higher than that can harm the cpu.

Another method is by checking the impedance of all 19v mosfet, I found out that the discharging mosfet impedance was low,i removed and replace it and the job was done in less than 30mins

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
Hp 15

Fault : No power

When the power button is pressed, the LED indicator by the side keeps going on and off.

I brought out the mobo and quickly noticed that the two standby ic (power ic) polarise capacitor were missing.

These capacitors have a specific function they perform on this section and if any one is missing, mobo will keep on restarting without powering on.

I remove a replacement from a scrap mobo and fix them properly on the mobo, and boom mobo is back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:14pm On Oct 26, 2021
Lenovo U31-70 with part number LA-C311P

Fault : Dead

All impedance was OK, and no short on the mobo, I connect charger and noticed 20v was not available on mobo, I traced back to the VIN section.

Voltage was available on the drain of PQ301 but not switching to the source, this is an issue of control point, you need voltage at the gate pin 4 to help switch voltage from drain to source which was absent.

This voltage is generated by the charging ic PU301, every ic need an input voltage and the first one which is the vcc pin 28 of the ic was missing, I traced back and noticed PD303 pin 3 was getting the 20v but not supplying it to the charging ic.

Well its obvious the diode is bad, I replace the diode and boom the PQ301 mosfet begin to work fine and when I press the power button mobo was back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:34pm On Oct 26, 2021
Hp folio 9470

I noticed the white and orange indicator light with power button light keeps blinking when the power button is press and it doesn't turn on.

Like I always advise, always start from the beginning, I told the engr to bring out the mobo and then I check the impedance and it was fine, then I start with the VIN section to make sure the section is fine.

CLR was constantly fluctuating from 19.8v to 18v and back, I traced it back to Q6010 and noticed that source and gate were works fine but drain was fluctuating, I check the impedance but the mosfet was fine, its probably leaking and not working fine.

I remove and replace the mosfet and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2021
Well done, most of these repairs you've completed are by no means easy.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2021
DBlackCeazer:
Well done, most of these repairs you've completed are by no means easy.

Thanks smiley yeah not easy but the right knowledge and tools will make it easy.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Toyyeebah(f): 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2021
@udemzyudex,
I have this Acer laptop that fell and screen got damaged, I left it at home for almost a year before getting the screen fixed but I forgot to remove the battery all those times it was not in use nor did I charge it. Now the system is not powering up and d eng said it's power IC is faulty. Please how can u help.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:33am On Nov 11, 2021
Toyyeebah:
@udemzyudex,
I have this Acer laptop that fell and screen got damaged, I left it at home for almost a year before getting the screen fixed but I forgot to remove the battery all those times it was not in use nor did I charge it. Now the system is not powering up and d eng said it's power IC is faulty. Please how can u help.

From experience situation like this always cause a short to ground on the motherboard, it might not necessarily mean the power ic is bad but let's trust his judgement since he is the one that check the laptop.

The only way I can help is if the laptop is with me since its a motherboard issue and I'll have to diagnose it my own way to see where the fault is from.
I believe he can handle the job, I'll suggest you allow him check it.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hp 2000

VIN section is fine, but power IC was not reading, I check basic requirements and find out that low drop out LDO voltage is present but no s5 enable volt from sio to power fully the power IC.

I notice a corrosion on the legs of the bios chip, apparently there was no bios communication between the sio and bios, this communication will help to release s5 enable volt to power IC in other for it to be fully functioning.

I rebuild the corroded tracks and place back the bios and boom mobo is back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 3:28pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hp 15 with part number DAG74AMB8D0 came in with no display fault.

Write the bios and mobo is back to life

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:49pm On Nov 11, 2021
Asus mobo.

The ACfet was not switching properly, this mobo used the ACDRV concept.

The charging ic release the 25v ACDRV to the gate of the ACfet in other for the mosfet to switch properly, the gate was reading adapter volt which is abnormal I noticed the blocking mosfet was short, I remove and replace the mosfet and ACfet gate voltage becomes normal with 25v.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2021
Part number LA-D702P

Looks like mobo was tampered by another engr, the PL1 and PL2 was missing, probably the person thought it is capacitor and didn't replace it.

I place a lead jumper on PL1 and PL2, then 19v was available on the drain of PQB1, it wasn't switching to the source because gate was only getting 19v instead of 25v since the VIN section uses ACDRV concept.
I notice PQB2 mosfet was short to ground, I remove and replace and PQB1 gate was OK.

Charging port shows the indicator light and mobo powers on.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Samfilo31(m): 8:57am On Nov 12, 2021
Can you replace vga

It displays divide into 6 but once motherboard heats up and you restart, mobo works fine
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:30am On Nov 12, 2021
Samfilo31:
Can you replace vga

It displays divide into 6 but once motherboard heats up and you restart, mobo works fine

I don't have a BGA machine, instead of replacing you can actually convert it from DISCRETE to UMA if you have the conversion details.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by henrymorebaba(m): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2021
@udemzyudex. Please my laptop is not coming up at all, even with battery or without battery. Someone said it might be the power ic and that is not good to replace it because it might have the same issue again after 5 months that is better I get a new laptop. please enlighten me.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:46pm On Nov 12, 2021
henrymorebaba:
@udemzyudex. Please my laptop is not coming up at all, even with battery or without battery. Someone said it might be the power ic and that is not good to replace it because it might have the same issue again after 5 months that is better I get a new laptop. please enlighten me.

Funny, even if you get a new laptop today, it won't stop it from developing fault that's why new device comes with warranty.

If we decide to go by that analogy then there won't be any need of repairing any device or anything repairable at all.

Base on your case, if it happens that it can't be fix you can easily get another motherboard instead of just buying a new laptop unless you really want to get a new one.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by henrymorebaba(m): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2021
udemzyudex:

Funny, even if you get a new laptop today, it won't stop it from developing fault that's why new device comes with warranty.

If we decide to go by that analogy then there won't be any need of repairing any device or anything repairable at all.

Base on your case, if it happens that it can't be fix you can easily get another motherboard instead of just buying a new laptop unless you really want to get a new one.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2021
Part number : LA-G121P

VIN line was short to ground, impedance of CLR was reading 0.004,board works fine after clearing the short, mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2021
Part number : LA-G07EP

This mobo uses the ACDRV concept, the charging ic will release ACDRV volt to the gate of the ACfet before voltage can flow into the board, however the gate volt was fluctuating from 16v,18v,25v etc.
I remove and replace the mosfet and mobo works fine

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by SPLENDID25(m): 12:51pm On Nov 14, 2021
udemzyudex:
Part number : LA-G07EP

This mobo uses the ACDRV concept, the charging ic will release ACDRV volt to the gate of the ACfet before voltage can flow into the board, however the gate volt was fluctuating from 16v,18v,25v etc.
I remove and replace the mosfet and mobo works fine
my Dell latitude e6230 has refused to come on( it doesn't blink the cylindrical light Dell blinks, which indicates it's reading or writing data). It only shows power button light, capslock light blinks thrice and speaker makes crackling sound(it doesn't beep), and the issue is not the HDD, because I have changed it, and cleaned the RAM terminals too but it still didn't come on. Please help, with possible reasons as to why this is happening.
I am scared because my exams is fast approaching and the repairman I took it to yesterday hasn't called back.It started behaving this way some weeks ago.But if I remove the battery, press the power button for maybe 20seconds and replug charger, it'll come on.But yesterday, it just refused...And I don't reside in Lagos.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 3:16pm On Nov 14, 2021
SPLENDID25:
my Dell latitude e6230 has refused to come on( it doesn't blink the cylindrical light Dell blinks, which indicates it's reading or writing data). It only shows power button light, capslock light blinks thrice and speaker makes crackling sound(it doesn't beep), and the issue is not the HDD, because I have changed it, and cleaned the RAM terminals too but it still didn't come on. Please help, with possible reasons as to why this is happening.
I am scared because my exams is fast approaching and the repairman I took it to yesterday hasn't called back.It started behaving this way some weeks ago.But if I remove the battery, press the power button for maybe 20seconds and replug charger, it'll come on.But yesterday, it just refused...And I don't reside in Lagos.

I really can't say exactly what's wrong with it unless handle it but I'll suggest you call the repair man and confirm the progress of repair.

When it comes to motherboard issue same fault does not necessarily mean same solution, it might be a corrupt bios issue, processor not processing, RAM not reading or probably S4/S3 state not running.

Fault can come from any where in this kind of situation.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by SPLENDID25(m): 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2021
udemzyudex:

I really can't say exactly what's wrong with it unless handle it but I'll suggest you call the repair man and confirm the progress of repair.

When it comes to motherboard issue same fault does not necessarily mean same solution, it might be a corrupt bios issue, processor not processing, RAM not reading or probably S4/S3 state not running.

Fault can come from any where in this kind of situation.
ok, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by lisungroup06: 8:38am On Nov 24, 2021
The ESD simulator gun is mainly used to simulate the static electricity on the human body. The main function is to generate a certain amount of static electricity to see whether the electronic products can maintain normal work under the action of static electricity.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by uzoexcel(m): 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2021
What is your charge like sir?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:03pm On Dec 07, 2021
uzoexcel:

Affordable, I charge base on models though, you can reach me on 08064724259 for more information.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:28pm On Dec 07, 2021
Part number :LA-C701P

If you check from the beginning of this thread, I wrote about the chips and components that allows the laptop motherboard to turn on.

This is another example of a dead case caused by a faulty PCH, in this case the CPU and PCH are on on chip called the Soc (system on chip)

19v line was fine, I checked the 3.3v/5v coil and noticed the 3.3v coil was short to ground, I decide to check which part the short was coming from, either from the imput or output side by lifting one pin of the 3.3v coil.
I noticed the output side was short to ground, that means the sections 3.3v was going to was short, 3.3v goes PCH, Lid_sw, rtc, bios pin 8,pwr button, dc/dc section to mention a few, to narrow it down, I decide to use the injection method.
I inject volt into the output side of the coil and found out that the PCH was heating up ( circled part on the Soc)

That's it, the board is gone and need replacement, replacing the Soc can be difficult unless you have a BGA machine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by uzoexcel(m): 11:17am On Dec 12, 2021
uzoexcel:
@udeme.
Good work on my laptop. Thanks very much.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:00pm On Dec 12, 2021
uzoexcel:

@udeme.
Good work on my laptop. Thanks very much.

You're welcome smiley
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Achinakaa(m): 7:06am On Dec 13, 2021
Please can you explain in details, how to remove bios password on a laptop and if if using a software, the name of the software?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:50pm On Dec 15, 2021
udemzyudex:
Part number :LA-C701P

If you check from the beginning of this thread, I wrote about the chips and components that allows the laptop motherboard to turn on.

This is another example of a dead case caused by a faulty PCH, in this case the CPU and PCH are on on chip called the Soc (system on chip)

19v line was fine, I checked the 3.3v/5v coil and noticed the 3.3v coil was short to ground, I decide to check which part the short was coming from, either from the imput or output side by lifting one pin of the 3.3v coil.
I noticed the output side was short to ground, that means the sections 3.3v was going to was short, 3.3v goes PCH, Lid_sw, rtc, bios pin 8,pwr button, dc/dc section to mention a few, to narrow it down, I decide to use the injection method.
I inject volt into the output side of the coil and found out that the PCH was heating up ( circled part on the Soc)

That's it, the board is gone and need replacement, replacing the Soc can be difficult unless you have a BGA machine.
hello bros, I ve this dead hp 15 laptop, 3v/5valwp is missing, no shorts on the inductors, 19.5v input is fine, no 3vlp to sio chip, Injecting 3v to 3vlp turns on the laptop's charging light, my diagnosis is a faulty RT8243AZQW(pu301), I'm not good with micro smd replacement, question is, can you help me source for/replace it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lets Increase Our Bandwidth Speed By At Least 20% / Unable to Sign In to My Hotmail Account / Fix your Apple And Windows Laptop Fault Here At Cheap Price with warranty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.