Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War (1482 Views)

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight Back As A Self Defense? / Is It A Sin For Married Couples To Use Condoms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 9:08am On Aug 08, 2021
HI people,
So some preachers came to my shop yesterday and we had a very long discussion.
Then this topic of war came up.
I would love to hear from others. What does the bible say.
Is it wrong for a Christian to join the army and fight.
Please I peer bible teaches than personal views.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Adamgeneral12: 9:36am On Aug 08, 2021
Someone must to defend his father land Christian or not.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by samwash(m): 9:49am On Aug 08, 2021
You never see military men when be pastor, abi Rev father ?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Bishopkingsley(m): 9:59am On Aug 08, 2021
War started in heaven
So long as you don't kill innocent people
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Nelidee(m): 10:00am On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

Matthew 26:52 : Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Revelation13:10: He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Nelidee(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2021
Bishopkingsley:
War started in heaven
So long as you don't kill innocent people

Bishop indeed. Clap for yourself.
That is why nairaland atheists think Christians are a bunch of deluded individuals. Because of shapeshifting individuals like you whose yes is no and no is yes.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 10:33am On Aug 08, 2021
Nelidee:

Matthew 26:52 : Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Revelation13:10: He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
So is it wrong to defend yourself?
My question is, does the bible condemn self defence, defense of family and nation?
These were the same verses the preachers quoted yesterday.
If I see someone hurting my loved one, would I be condemned for standing up for her?
Please if you have clarity from the scriptures, let me know.
Also, explain those scriptures you quoted because I remember many prophets of God killed. Some even evolved fire from heaven to kill. I don't believe God is about double standard.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 10:49am On Aug 08, 2021
Nelidee:

Bishop indeed. Clap for yourself.
That is why nairaland atheists think Christians are a bunch of deluded individuals. Because of shapeshifting individuals like you whose yes is no and no is yes.
Haba no fight just express your view.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Nelidee(m): 12:05pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

So is it wrong to defend yourself?
My question is, does the bible condemn self defence, defense of family and nation?
These were the same verses the preachers quoted yesterday.
If I see someone hurting my loved one, would I be condemned for standing up for her?
Please if you have clarity from the scriptures, let me know.
Also, explain those scriptures you quoted because I remember many prophets of God killed. Some even evolved fire from heaven to kill. I don't believe God is about double standard.

Let me say this first of all. I am aware that in the bible, God gave commandments to the nation of Israel to go to war and even to kill.

Why God would issue such a decree which to me contradicts the teachings of christ is beyond me.

However, I am deeply aware that the moment christ came and established the church, we follow and observe his teachings.

A person who calls himself/herself a Christian is: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

It is not easy to be a Christian. In fact, christ described one deciding to follow him as one carrying a torture stake. Obeying Christ's commandments is not easy. People will mock, ridicule and try to take advantage of the fact that you obey certain commandments which makes you appear weak and stupid. That is why being a follower of Christ requires patience and endurance.

Matthew 5:38-48

[b] 38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect [/b]

The above scripture is christ basically telling us to do whatever we can to promote peace. A Christian shouldn't attack or take revenge on those who attack him or her.

Jesus Christ led the way in promoting peace when he not only rebuked peter for slicing off the ear of a person who wanted to attack him, but also restored the ear of his attacker.

Lets answer your question.

"If I see someone hurting my loved one, would I be condemned for standing up for her?"

It depends on what you mean by standing up. If you mean revenge or attack the person back then you are doing the wrong thing. What if you beat the person and he/she comes back with people more dangerous than you? What if the person beats both you and your loved one together? How do you know who is at fault and who is not?

The best thing to do is provide a solution that brings peace. Be a peacemaker. That is what distinguishes a follower of Christ from those who are not.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by gideonjeta(m): 12:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:
HI people,
Op, Nelidee has just given you the breakdown of the answer you need. Let me just add to what he posted.
People go into war because of hatred. While on earth, Jesus demonstrated how to replace hatred with unselfish love, commanding: “Love one another, just as I have loved you.” (John 15:12) He also said: “Happy are the peaceable.” (Matthew 5:9) The word peaceable means more than enjoying a state of tranquillity. It means actively working to promote peace or being a peacemaker. So, if we are really followers of Jesus, we should learn to love one another and no need to engage in war or in fights.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:41pm On Aug 08, 2021
One of the scribes who had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first of all?” Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’ The second is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:28-31

Who is your neighbour?

According to the young man called Jesus of Nazareth, your neighbour is anybody from any nation who needs your help! Luke 10:25-37

The he talked about brotherhood, that anyone with whom you share the same line of thought is your brother in Christ! Matthew 12:46-49
And you must love your fellow believers in Christ the same way Jesus loves you! John 13:34-35
This means that you should be prepared to die in behalf of your fellow believer if the need be! John 15:13

So ask yourself
"what exactly could prompt me to pick up weapons against my fellow believers from other nations? Is it the love for Nationalism? Is it because of properties? Is it because of commands from those in the authorities? Is it the fear of been killed if i don't defend my country?"

Well Apostle Paul answered the above questions:

Who will separate us from the love of the Christ? Will tribulation or distress or persecution or hunger or unclothedness or danger or sword? Just as it is written: “For your sake we are being put to death all day long; we have been accounted as sheep for slaughtering.” On the contrary, in all these things we are coming off completely victorious through the one who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come nor powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God’s love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord! Romans 8:35-39

So anytime someone compels you to pick up weapons against your fellowman, think about what Jesus commaded you {Matthew 26:52} that is if you agree that he is the master and finisher of your faith! Hebrews 12:2

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Bishopkingsley(m): 1:01pm On Aug 08, 2021
No great man of God moves without security in this age. Those bodyguard they carry are not for fancy try them to see what you will get

Don't be to holy to destroy your self

In heaven there is an un approachable light around God so if you think any angel just come any how as they please you are joking

Now in the new earth go and study the height of the new Jerusalem wall

To see Trump wall it just a beans to it

Wise Christians protest your self and stay alive
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by shadeyinka(m): 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
The question is easy and complex.
The kingdom of Christ is NOT of this world. Jesus doesn't care one bit about struggles for earthly possessions.

Secondly, Jesus didn't condemn the Roman Centurion for being in the army.

Thirdly, the relative security we have in nations, cities and neiborhood is because Government established security agents to protect us (Police, Civil Defence, Army). Without these, evil would have overrun all of us.
God gave the government authority to execute civil powers on us all and part of it is armed protection.
Heb 13:17:
"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."

1Pet 2:13-14:
"Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or to governors, as to them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well."

In the past God had fought wars for Israel. God had led wars for Israel. God had given strategy for for to Israel. Whatever is a sin in the old testament must be a sin in the new testament and vice versa
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:
HI people,
Yes, it is a sin to serve to another master in God's name - Matthew 6 vs 24.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Yes, it is a sin to serve to another master in God's name - Matthew 6 vs 24.
I don't understand explain
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2021
gideonjeta:

Op, Nelidee has just given you the breakdown of the answer you need. Let me just add to what he posted.
People go into war because of hatred. While on earth, Jesus demonstrated how to replace hatred with unselfish love, commanding: “Love one another, just as I have loved you.” (John 15:12) He also said: “Happy are the peaceable.” (Matthew 5:9) The word peaceable means more than enjoying a state of tranquillity. It means actively working to promote peace or being a peacemaker. So, if we are really followers of Jesus, we should learn to love one another and no need to engage in war or in fights.
Sometimes we fight for those we love.
If you love me you would not let anyone hurt me
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nelidee:

Let me say this first of all. I am aware that in the bible, God gave commandments to the nation of Israel to go to war and even to kill.

Why God would issue such a decree which to me contradicts the teachings of christ is beyond me.

However, I am deeply aware that the moment christ came and established the church, we follow and observe his teachings.

A person who calls himself/herself a Christian is: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

It is not easy to be a Christian. In fact, christ described one deciding to follow him as one carrying a torture stake. Obeying Christ's commandments is not easy. People will mock, ridicule and try to take advantage of the fact that you obey certain commandments which makes you appear weak and stupid. That is why being a follower of Christ requires patience and endurance.

Matthew 5:38-48

[b] 38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect [/b]

The above scripture is christ basically telling us to do whatever we can to promote peace. A Christian shouldn't attack or take revenge on those who attack him or her.

Jesus Christ led the way in promoting peace when he not only rebuked peter for slicing off the ear of a person who wanted to attack him, but also restored the ear of his attacker.

Lets answer your question.

"If I see someone hurting my loved one, would I be condemned for standing up for her?"

It depends on what you mean by standing up. If you mean revenge or attack the person back then you are doing the wrong thing. What if you beat the person and he/she comes back with people more dangerous than you? What if the person beats both you and your loved one together? How do you know who is at fault and who is not?

The best thing to do is provide a solution that brings peace. Be a peacemaker. That is what distinguishes a follower of Christ from those who are not.

So if I get you, you would allow someone to hurt me in the name of love? For example, would you allow a bokoharam to hurt me?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

I don't understand explain
A soldier is one who submits to and obeys man's laws over God's Law, is he not? undecided

When it comes to the handling of the enemy, a soldier submits to and obeys the law of man instead or God's Law. undecided

When it comes to authority/leadership, the soldier is sworn to uphold man's law over God's Law. undecided

Where it concerns the living of his life, a soldier is under oath to abide by the rules set by his superiors, this over God's Law. undecided

So, yes, a soldier who claims to belong to Jesus Christ is one who pretends to serve two masters and we know from Jesus Christ that you cannot serve two masters. undecided
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

Sometimes we fight for those we love.
If you love me you would not let anyone hurt me
Jesus Christ instead said you should abandoned your loved ones for His sake... hate them so you can love Him. Anyone who does not do this is not worthy of Him, Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:37pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ instead said you should abandoned your loved ones for His sake... hate them so you can love Him. Anyone who does not do this is not worthy of Him, Jesus Christ. undecided
Wow, the religion you are talying is strange to me, you are saying you should allow people to hurt your family. .. that is the doctrine of Christ?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
A soldier is one who submits to and obeys man's laws over God's Law, is he not? undecided

When it comes to the handling of the enemy, a soldier submits to and obeys the law of man instead or God's Law. undecided

When it comes to authority/leadership, the soldier is sworn to uphold man's law over God's Law. undecided

Where it concerns the living of his life, a soldier is under oath to abide by the rules set by his superiors, this over God's Law. undecided

So, yes, a soldier who claims to belong to Jesus Christ is one who pretends to serve two masters and we know from Jesus Christ that you cannot serve two masters. undecided
We all obey laws of man. Don't you obey traffic law. Or the law in your school or work place. What is the difference
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

Wow, the religion you are talying is strange to me, you are saying you should allow people to hurt your family. .. that is the doctrine of Christ?
Jesus Christ indeed said this. undecided
26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. - Luke 14 vs 26 - 27
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:42pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I would nevery hate my family. The same bible teaches me to love their wives like Christ loved the church and put down his life for it
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ indeed said this. undecided
Oga are you telling me that you hate your family but you love your enemies.
You hate your father, your mum and siblings and your wife and kids?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

We all obey laws of man. Don't you obey traffic law. Or the law in your school or work place. What is the difference
We all obey laws of man, but not where God, and the things of God, is concerned. undecided

For instance, when it comes to how we deal with our enemies, God expects His followers to obey Him. However by oath wil find himself unable to obey God as he has for himself another whom he is sworn to obey instead. And that is sin against God. undecided
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

I would nevery hate my family. The same bible teaches me to love their wives like Christ loved the church and put down his life for it
Jesus Christ never asked you to love your wife like Christ. That idea that you can is against Jesus Christ who informed you that He alone is Master and Head over all those who belong to Him, warning that they never install themselves as master/Authority over any others who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 7 - 10 undecided

Jesus Christ is God's Law and the agreement that exists between God and you as an individual - He is head over you and so you are not to submit to and obey any other over God. undecided

If you cannot hate family for His sake, then you obviously can't belong to Him... don't you see that? undecided
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:
Oga are you telling me that you hate your family but you love your enemies.
You hate your father, your mum and siblings and your wife and kids?
Why not? Is it not Jesus Christ that i am meant to serve? undecided
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:49pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
We all obey laws of man, but not where God, and the things of God, is concerned. undecided

For instance, when it comes to how we deal with our enemies, God expects His followers to obey Him. However by oath wil find himself unable to obey God as he has for himself another whom he is sworn to obey instead. And that is sin against God. undecided
So the first argument that solders obe the law no longer stands now the question is if God''s teaches are against war.
Now I asked would you defend someone you loved.
If you saw someone raping me, what would you do? Would you love and hug the person?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:50pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Why not? Is it not Jesus Christ that i am meant to serve? undecided
So when you bring up your kids, would you teach them to hate each other?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:52pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

that guy does not believe in the Bible but says he only believes in Jesus words is that not strange
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by breathelove(f): 3:54pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ never asked you to love your wife like Christ. That idea that you can is against Jesus Christ who informed you that He alone is Master and Head over all those who belong to Him, warning that they never install themselves as master/Authority over any others who belong to Him - Matthew 23 vs 7 - 10 undecided

Jesus Christ is God's Law and the agreement that exists between God and you as an individual - He is head over you and so you are not to submit to and obey any other over God. undecided

If you cannot hate family for His sake, then you obviously can't belong to Him... don't you see that? undecided
Read Ephesians 5:25... you are wrong abut loving your wife
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight In War by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
breathelove:

So the first argument that solders obe the law no longer stands now the question is if God''s teaches are against war.
Now I asked would you defend someone you loved.
If you saw someone raping me, what would you do? Would you love and hug the person?
What God teaches is against war? Not sure I follow... war isn't the only reason why one who chooses to become a Soldier would not be in compliance with God's Law hence the reason why i stated that the very fact that two Masters exist makes it a non-entry. undecided

Now, as for defending those defenseless, I am commanded to love my neighbor even as I love my own self, am I not? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

If A Demon Possessed Man Tells You Your History / Video Of The Prophecy - Nigeria Vs Guinea - Tb Joshua / Bomb Blast Ecwa Church Wusasa Zaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.