Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad (577 Views)

Four Things You Will Miss In Nigeria If You Study Abroad. / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / What Course Can You Study With SLT In University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by blessedtoyin21: 7:54pm On Aug 08, 2021
Not everyone has to relocate or leave Nigeria but searching for good education is not a crime. You can always go abroad to get quality education, improve yourself and help your nation. Based on my experiences so far and that of friends, below are a list of things you should do before you apply to any school outside Nigeria:

1. Get the original copy of your degree certificate (This is for those that did not attend their graduation like me)
2. Get a copy of your transcript (it is usually watermarked with "student's copy" )
3. Get an International Passport
4. Get the Original copy of your WAEC (for those that wants to go for bachelor's)
5. Get a reference letter or a certificate of experience from your past employers (for those that wants to go for master's)
6. SCAN all your documents, including the data page of your international passport and have them handy (You can use a cloud storage or save them in the draft section of your Gmail. They can be downloaded anytime)
7. Learn to write a Statement of Purpose or a Motivation letter. This has to state why you chose to study in that country, why you chose that university and that course you will be applying for. (You can prepare a template which will be edited to suit your needs when ready to apply)
8. Save! Save! Save! Even though you can get scholarships and free tuition schools. You will still have to show proof that you have the required minimum amount for living expenses when applying for a visa or residence permit. (Lumping a big sum of money would not work as you need to prove where it came from. Most countries accept sponsors and you can work on getting one)
9. Prepare to write an English test in case the school you are applying to needs it. (You can start preparing even before you have any school in mind)
10. Once you have done the above, you are ready to apply. Start searching for schools in any country of your choice. There are free tuition schools in Germany and Norway. There are schools with tuition waiver in Finland. There are affordable schools in Poland, Estonia and Latvia. There are also several fully funded master's and PhD programmes in Canada, USA, UK, Australia and in several countries of the world.

Finally, don't procrastinate, take action on time and see your dreams come true. I have so many tips on applying to schools abroad and would love to share here on this forum and on youtube. Thank you for your time, I hope this helps. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by mountmoriah(m): 7:59pm On Aug 08, 2021
Yeah OP, many people will benefit from this.
Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by kernniejay(m): 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nice write up.
This deserves a sit at the front row.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by PetersKID(m): 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2021
Number 4. What about people with NECO, is NECO accepted?
Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by blessedtoyin21: 11:05am On Aug 10, 2021
mountmoriah:
Yeah OP, many people will benefit from this.

Thank you so much.
Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by blessedtoyin21: 11:06am On Aug 10, 2021
kernniejay:
Nice write up.
This deserves a sit at the front row.
I really appreciate...thanks

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by mountmoriah(m): 11:06am On Aug 10, 2021
blessedtoyin21:

Thank you so much.
u are welcome

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by blessedtoyin21: 11:07am On Aug 10, 2021
PetersKID:
Number 4. What about people with NECO, is NECO accepted?

It depends on the school or country you are applying to. Most countries recognize NECO, so don't worry. smiley
Re: 10 Things You Must Know Before You Study Abroad by blessedtoyin21: 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
I have a couple of videos on YouTube. You might want to check them out. Just search for "Blessed Toyin" on YouTube and watch any video that interests you wink. I will be sharing more tips and several opportunities over there.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Graduate Who Wrote O’level Exams 17 Times Arrives USA For Postgraduate / Lecturers Told Me Making First Class Was Impossible – DELSU Overall Best Student / 8th&9th Convocation Of Oduduwa University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.