Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion (25462 Views)

I Don't Need Any Religion - Wole Soyinka / Any Religion or Secret group that entices people with money Is satanic / Why Freemasonry Is Better Than Any Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by jaxxy(m): 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2021
duchaB:

They don't emphasize on any heaven, they seem to promote hedonism.
Matter of fact, the central tenet of 80% of churches is hedonism.

They emphasize on different things, some it’s only heaven like they want to fly out of the World 2moro and some it’s pleasure and mammon without considering many other skills and truths the Bible teaches and advices.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by BriskhoffBox: 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

I really want to tell them in a polite way so they can accept my way.

My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing.

Since you are moving to your own place soon you don't need to convince him. Just play along, you know what lies truly in your heart. Religion was created by man for his own selfish agenda. They tell a lot of lies, steal, kill and destroy people in the name of an invisible god. If religion is the key to development, Nigeria should be the most developed nation in the world. Rather, it's the world's headquarters for poverty and retrogression. The most developed countries in the world think very little of religion. Funnily, the religious folk in Nigeria is praying hard to his invicible god to grant him Visa to a country where they hardly pray.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 09, 2021
JaneYave:
The prayers you don't pray today, You will pray tomorrow.
Storms are so real. It takes prayers to stand strong when they come.

Says who grin grin grin where are u ppl getting all these fake saying from. Africa my continent, anything in the name of religion is welcome even without proven its validity.

Are u saying Christians always end up happy in the world and non Christians always end up unhappy? What's wrong with you back people

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Ayomi90: 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2021
So because things are going well for you then you think it's by your power or hardwork? Your parents prayers is working for you, once they are gone who will intercede on your behalf?

Looking at how Christianity is Jesus himself asked his disciplines that will I meet faith on earth by the time I return? Luke 18:8

The Prophets, pastors and type of Christians u meet are the reason for that question Jesus asked nd now it is working coz one you or more ppl start leaving Christianity because of pastors behavior. Pastors will only answer for his own unrighteousness, you will answer for yours too. It is an individual thing, everyone will carry his own cross.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by SimplePlan34: 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
Do what works for u. If not believing in God helps u then go dat road.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by duchaB(m): 12:21pm On Aug 09, 2021
Doradorwa:
Simple... Tell him you don't want to belong to any religion... My mom has done everything to me... She even threatened me.. December 31st last year I slept throughtout the night... My mom threatened fire and brimstone I did not bulge. I got to school she delayed my feeding allowance for 3 weeks, on Sunday she will call me and ask where am I and I will tell her that I'm on my bed. She even threatened me with the wrath of God on disobedient children.

Just make sure you stand your ground and never bulge... Tell them your reasons and be serious about it... Don't let anyone influence your decision... You are a person of yourself.

Even now, my mom has now resort to begging... She's now begging me but ain't gonna go to any place of worship.

I guess you were disillusioned along the line, like many.. You must be another bodisattva.. wink
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by sotall(m): 12:21pm On Aug 09, 2021
Spicycat:

Which of the God?

Find the one that created you.
Dont go looking for other people's gods.

He will shew himself to you in a way you wont have any doubt if he exists.

You only need to be honest and sincere in your search
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by thonyman: 12:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
You are on the path to self awareness and consciousness.
You don't need to explain yourself to anybody.
Continue on your path to self discovery, its a long spiritual journey, but remember God is with you as HE is not religious. Each step to discovering yourself will come with a brighter light.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by duchaB(m): 12:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
jaxxy:

They emphasize on different things, some it’s only heaven like they want to fly out of the World 2moro and some it’s pleasure and mammon without considering many other skills and truths the Bible teaches and advices.

Which one you know emphasize on heaven, make i go there next Sunday.. cheesy
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by JIMJOGP(m): 12:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
Bro, you can't know the whole pieces of life so you need God! A Personal fellowship with Him will change your ideology. "If you seek Him, you will find Him when you seek Him with all your heart." Human behaviours can not always be a criteria to test if a fellowship with God is important or not because we all fail. God knows you and I'm sure he is leading you to encounter Him in every kind of situations.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by EmmaxKeys: 12:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
Doradorwa:
Lol... I've heard that line many times before but do you know what's good about this whole thing is that apart from my natural right that allow me to choose whatever I want to belong to. I am also supported by the constitution. I have the Right to Conscience, Expression and Religion. I have the right to choose to belong and not to belong.

Nobody has the right to comply others to follow their faith. I respect all faith but I want to be no part of their worship. It will only end in tears for me when I decided to live another person's life.

Lol...my dear, you have the right to do anything. And even the right to cry in the future and the right to go to hell when you die. That's true.

No one is taking your right. What we are saying is, choose wisely.

In Deuteronomy 30:19, the Bible says "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:"

The Bible does not withhold your right to choose as clearly seen above, though your parents may because they love you. It even advises you to choose life.

But at the end, the choice is yours.

Don't think you are a big girl so you can just stop believing in God. Choose well! It's a piece of advice.

We are too deceived by rights.

If you are fair with yourself, without considering other things, it is safer to believe in God than to not. The true meaning of religion has been manipulated to mean the opposite. No sane religion supports laziness, foolishness, lack of creativity and killings.
Morality that atheists claim to have, all came from religion. If not for the belief in God since the beginning of the world, no one will know that it is wrong to kill.

Please choose wisely. You can only be for God or Satan, no matter how childish you see this talk. Even if you think you are in the middle, you are for Satan.

One of the tools Satan uses to lure men is this issue of rights. I have the right to do this or that. That is why we have LGBTQ and the likes. No be right cause am?

This may look childish to you.....

Well, I have nothing more to say. But be wise.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by JohnWickLIVES(m): 12:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
Trust me, feeling you were deceived might just feel like going cold turkey on an addiction. There's a tendency for relapse.

There's a level of belief you just have to accept that develops from knowing there's something inherently wrong with this world and you can't put your fingers as to what that is but accepting that nothing matters and we're all gonna die is the first step. Creating meaning in everyday doings is another step in the right direction.
I don't believe in the spiritual aspect of anything and ironically I find that side of humanity (especially Christian Lore) fascinating in the same sense I find Cthulhu Mythos fascinating and I drive myself to create the best Lore ever (I still arguably believe the Bible is the greatest Lore to ever exist on the Planet). I don't believe in all these but I respect that people believe in it and I accept that, as that's enough.

I did not fall from grace... There was never any to start with.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by jaxxy(m): 12:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
duchaB:

Which one you know emphasize on heaven, make i go there next Sunday.. cheesy

Na only heaven u won sabi?? U don tire to stay for earth?
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by BriskhoffBox: 12:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Ayomi90:
So because things are going well for you then you think it's by your power or hardwork? Your parents prayers is working for you, once they are gone who will intercede on your behalf?

Looking at how Christianity is Jesus himself asked his disciplines that will I meet faith on earth by the time I return? Luke 18:8

The Prophets, pastors and type of Christians u meet are the reason for that question Jesus asked nd now it is working coz one you or more ppl start leaving Christianity because of pastors behavior. Pastors will only answer for his own unrighteousness, you will answer for yours too. It is an individual thing, everyone will carry his own cross.

Elon Musk's parents must have been fierce prayer warriors ooooo���

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by duchaB(m): 12:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Doradorwa:
Lol... I've heard that line many times before but do you know what's good about this whole thing is that apart from my natural right that allow me to choose whatever I want to belong to. I am also supported by the constitution. I have the Right to Conscience, Expression and Religion. I have the right to choose to belong and not to belong.

Nobody has the right to comply others to follow their faith. I respect all faith but I want to be no part of their worship. It will only end in tears for me when I decided to live another person's life.

I agree with the first line of your last paragraph..
But, you know what, I no trust you, with that pussy cat weh I see for your profile.. wink
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
CalmElder:
I insulted christians, called them thieves in front of my mom.

I left home, age 18, stopped attending church, but I told God, if you truly exist, I want proof. There are many religions, show me the one.

I will lie to mom that I don't miss church any time I go home.

Mama kept praying, took my name to women fellowship, sisters too were praying, brother wrote my name and kept in his Bible.

I was living wild, but there was a void drugs, money or sex couldn't fill until.....
God revealed himself to me.
I'm now a believer.
I was a skeptic like you.
U mean you saw God or you felt something that seems like his presence?
Which please?
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 12:28pm On Aug 09, 2021
Kandeed:

Sadly, this is the truth. we grew up knowing without God if everything seems going well with you, you just gotta be careful, there's something wrong ur just ignorant of

But I hope you get to understand sooner than later tho
No one can declare truths for other people

Maybe that is your own truth
Does not have to be true for everyone one and honestly you cannot know what is true or good for anyone but yourself
Millions of people do okay without any kind of God . That is their truth.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Olaideolayemi(m): 12:28pm On Aug 09, 2021
Childish thought and thinking..
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by duchaB(m): 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
jaxxy:

Na only heaven u won sabi?? U don tire to stay for earth?

LMAO.. I assume you don't know any sha!
This earth is not my home, I am just a sojourner..

Where is the girl4rmspace? Is she still alive

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
JaneYave:
Am in love with this comment, a time will come that his hardwork will never take him anywhere,
Sometimes fear is the only intelligent response
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Techguy96(m): 12:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
Kandeed:

Sadly, this is the truth. we grew up knowing without God if everything seems going well with you, you just gotta be careful, there's something wrong ur just ignorant of

But I hope you get to understand sooner than later tho
There's nothing wrong. It's you guys who have be indoctrinated n lied to. You now find it so difficult to accept the truth that there's no God.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by PotatoSalad(m): 12:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
Donspicey:
OP don dey enter Highway......

Devils plan is to make you lose faith in God and it seems he have succeded.....

I Pray Redemption locates you Bro.....

Broad is the way that leads to destruction.....
I wonder if this was the case of our forefathers before the whites came. Who exactly is the devil? If we practiced Christianity before the whites came with their traditional religion, does that mean that God we serve becomes the devil because we accepted their own religion over ours out of inferiority complex?

Now we don carry their religion for head like pot while they've moved on.
Our religion is inversely proportional to our development as a continent.
U ever think about it?
We are the most religious country in the world, yet we rank highest in corruption, hatred, envy, wickedness, and all the worst social vices you can think of. A Christian brother will quote bible verses for you and run you street with the smallest opportunity. A Christian sister sees people who aren't as religious as her as instruments of the devil. She looks at people scornfully.
Think about it.
What's the essence of all that effort when we remain the same?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Eriokanmi: 12:31pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

Your life would soon be likened to a tortoise who said its tired of living inside its shell, now broke the shell and jumped out. Don't attempt it. God's time isn't your time. That nothing works for you now doesn't mean it won't. Enough said
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Amtrak: 12:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
Can't find what to tell you, but one thing I'm certain of is that you are about going down the wrong path.

Many have learned the hard way. Don't forget Psalm 14:1.

You don't have to be a saint, but denying the power of God becomes a different thing altogether.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Techguy96(m): 12:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
JaneYave:
This is why many people are leaving religion, the fact that u think something bad will happen to him. Even this so called storms hit religious people more than atheist. Secondly why u feel there's a storm coming is because u are in Nigeria where nothing is working.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 09, 2021
Olaideolayemi:
Childish thought and thinking..
This your point won't help him either.
He needs a better explanation 2d things of life.
No one came into this world with Religion, we were either exposed to it at birth or we got into a new one via conversion.

At least his Brain is thinking.
His Brain is asking questions.
God is interested in bold & intelligent people.
Pastors don't like such people.
Especially those who allow their brains to work.
Rather they cherish the "O Yes MEMBERS"
Nigeria is suffering today because of a huge deposit of Gullible people, afraid to ask questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by falseprophet: 12:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
JaneYave:

grin
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by ehinorlive: 12:36pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

you are a kid, I pray you grow
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by JohnWickLIVES(m): 12:36pm On Aug 09, 2021
Choice is a funny word/paradox as it entails you had or have the resources needed to make certain decision to begin with. But Choice in the aspect of the Divine is finicky. God has the choice to stop all evil but chose not to and choosing is a feature characterized by the idea that there's something greater than you or you have a Drama complex. Like creating a simulated universe (AI program for a video game for instance) you code the choice for NPCs to have a day/night cycle. You program birds to fly at certain altitudes or limit players' powers so as not to access Deus Modus and all these for just the drama the player or developer gets from his own creation. That is on some levels the NPCs can never understand (watch Westworld for more understanding on this, how the hosts feel so alive that they can't question their reality and even questioning their reality is more a programmed feeling by their developers).
So believing in choice means there really isn't an ultimate power and even if there is ( as given by the fact some humans are more powerful than others), that ultimate power isn't ultimate but greater cos why give your creations choice they never had in the first place if it's not just for your own drama.

I come in Peace

EmmaxKeys:

Lol...my dear, you have the right to do anything. And even the right to cry in the future and the right to go to hell when you die. That's true.

No one is taking your right. What we are saying is, choose wisely.

In Deuteronomy 30:19, the Bible says "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:"

The Bible does not withhold your right to choose as clearly seen above, though your parents may because they love you. It even advises you to choose life.

But at the end, the choice is yours.

Don't think you are a big girl so you can just stop believing in God. Choose well! It's a piece of advice.

We are too deceived by rights.

If you are fair with yourself, without considering other things, it is safer to believe in God than to not. The true meaning of religion has been manipulated to mean the opposite. No sane religion supports laziness, foolishness, lack of creativity and killings.
Morality that atheists claim to have, all came from religion. If not for the belief in God since the beginning of the world, no one will know that it is wrong to kill.

Please choose wisely. You can only be for God or Satan, no matter how childish you see this talk. Even if you think you are in the middle, you are for Satan.

One of the tools Satan uses to lure men is this issue of rights. I have the right to do this or that. That is why we have LGBTQ and the likes. No be right cause am?

This may look childish to you.....

Well, I have nothing more to say. But be wise.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by akdjr(m): 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
If you're an adult that can make self good decision u actually don't need your parent permission to choose your spiritual life. I haven't practiced any religion in my life apart from being to church for couple of times as well as mosque for a couple of times..the both religion books are full of things you are meant not to question but just believe. So many stories of event and tradition of certain people are what you should believe and live by. I once told a good friend of mine who practice Islam that there is nothing like Islamic name but just names of Arab people which is their indigenous names and he was like it is written in the Koran and I was like why can't this guy see that before the religion, there were an ethnic group who have their indigenous names and those from that ethnicity who started the religion continue with that names and those who they enslaved with their religion were meant to believe that such names and Islamic names or Christian names as the case may be.
indadi:

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2021
He needs a better explanation 2d things of life.
No one came into this world with Religion, we were either exposed to it at birth or we got into a new one via conversion.

At least his Brain is thinking.
His Brain is asking questions.
God is interested in bold & intelligent people.
Pastors don't like such people at all
Especially those who allow their brains to work.
Rather they cherish the "O Yes MEMBERS"
Nigeria is suffering today because of a huge deposit of Gullible people, afraid to ask questions.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Are You Born Again? (10 Practical Ways To Confirm Your Status) / Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? / Pastor David Onyekachukwu Suspended By Mountain Of Fire Over Rape Of Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.