Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,322 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion (25501 Views)

I Don't Need Any Religion - Wole Soyinka / Any Religion or Secret group that entices people with money Is satanic / Why Freemasonry Is Better Than Any Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by jaxxy(m): 1:08pm On Aug 09, 2021
duchaB:

LMAO.. I assume you don't know any sha!
This earth is not my home, I am just a sojourner..

Where is the girl4rmspace? Is she still alive

Hotr isn’t a bad one. Bt like I said Christian Faith is more personal than religious.

She fine, why u asking me?? Lol

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by harmony75: 1:10pm On Aug 09, 2021
PS 14v1 Fools says in their hearts there's no GOD " my dearie seek God naw you're young not when problems comes or when you're too old! An elderly neighbor died recently Baba is from Christian family but left Christianity to be practicing herbalist as this baba died na Rev Dr lagbaja family address his name the church he left since his youth still came and did all the burial service for him mmmm people are like but Baba na babalawo na! You're proud because things are looking good for you but be Wise and use your time resources to serve God in your little way you can if you may not have all the time! Who are we deciving where's that Baba going heaven or hell? It will take only the grace of God for his kids and grandkids to get it right with God because he their father has messed things up the children will be confused which religion to follow so how will lead your unborn kids with confusion?!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by EmmaxKeys: 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
JohnWickLIVES:
Choice is a funny word/paradox as it entails you had or have the resources needed to make certain decision to begin with. But Choice in the aspect of the Divine is finicky. God has the choice to stop all evil but chose not to and choosing is a feature characterized by the idea that there's something greater than you or you have a Drama complex. Like creating a simulated universe (AI program for a video game for instance) you code the choice for NPCs to have a day/night cycle. You program birds to fly at certain altitudes or limit players' powers so as not to access Deus Modus and all these for just the drama the player or developer gets from his own creation. That is on some levels the NPCs can never understand (watch Westworld for more understanding on this, how the hosts feel so alive that they can't question their reality and even questioning their reality is more a programmed feeling by their developers).
So believing in choice means there really isn't an ultimate power and even if there is ( as given by the fact some humans are more powerful than others), that ultimate power isn't ultimate but greater cos why give your creations choice they never had in the first place if it's not just for your own drama.

I come in Peace

Baba, stop deceiving yourself. No matter how hard you try to fight it and not believe - we all have choices. But that doesn't mean there isn't God.

God gave each and everyone of us choice.

Adam and Eve, by their choice, chose to disobey. And today, we are living our lives by choice.

People who are great today are great majorly because of the choices they made at some point.

I rest my case oh.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Aidejay(m): 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
saves a lot of stress. telling people what they want to hear>>>>>
you speak from experience?

Timoleon:
You don’t explain to them. You live at peace with your parents. If giving them a few hours of your Sunday secures that peace, give it to them. Religion/spirituality is a personal journey. If you like go to church and study online or work online, they won’t think much of it. For the most part, people are more concerned with appearances than reality. So if going to church especially if you still stay under their roof allows you and them peace of mind, do it. If you aren’t under their roof, always tell them church was fine whenever they ask ‘how was church?’ Wether you go or not.
Seek peace at all times.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 1:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Danfo:
Jamaican Proverb -" Pig ask ‘im Mumma wha mek har mout’ long so; Mumma sey, ‘No mind pickney, yuh a grow, yuh wi see"

Meaning
The pig asked his Mother why her mouth was so long; Mother said, ‘Don’t worry child, you are growing, you will see.’ Meaning: Eventually children will learn about the challenges of life.

is there a Pig God too?

We are equipped with brains for the challenges of life.

We just need to learn to USE it MORE

Some countries produce so much food they have to throw it away while others starve because they do not know how.

No God is going to come and help people who do not develop their brains
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by BlesE: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

I really want to tell them in a polite way so they can accept my way.

My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing.
it's so unfortunate that most youngsters like you whom God has helped their parents to raise them up now begin to think they can sail through life without that God maybe because of their little knowledge about book, what you experienced when you said things started working for you is the law of sowing and reaping, when you sow you surely reap, But remember someone set that law in place and only him has the power to give wealth,don't be like that rich fool in the bible who worked very hard to gather all his riches without God in the equation when he wanted to relax and enjoy his riches he was called home.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2021
aribisala0:
If someone has been foolish all his life and another person recognizes it then there is a tendency to hate that person

So someone shows you your 5 daily prayers x 365 days x 30 years is just self deception

That is a bitter pill to accept and swallow.

But this is obvious

Let us start with Christianity and Islam
Logically if you follow those two religions according to their teachings

ONLY ONE is correct and the other is no different from not having a religion. Some people say "we are worshipping the same God" but is that what the Pentecostal Christianity teaches? A BIG NO. It teaches There is no Salvation Outside Jesus

So in this life do "Christians" have a better life than Muslims or indeed than anyone?

The answer is obvious and ubiquitous . I do not even need to answer that

The reverse argument applies to Islam.

Therefore whatever benefit comes from following those doctrines whilst on Earth are available to those who do not believe in any God. The only benefit that they can have that others do not is going to their heaven but

IN THIS LIFE THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE from religion that accrues to them that those without religion do not get
Our culture has made folks to see religion as an escape from whatever PHYSICAL problem they face. Hence, folks pray and pray without WORK, with the impression that prayers solves all.
Unfortunately, Christianity is opposite of such idea. As the formula is Work + Prayers. It's found in one form or the other throughout the scriptures.

So people apply wrong formula and become angry when they get wrong result. Worse, others become angry after yielding to their own lust and things go South.
Other category (maybe like op) are not too comfortable with the moral obligations that comes with belief in God (such as no extra marital sex, no fraud or quick money, moderate social life when they actually want more, no hate but pure love, in fact, you are to pray for your enemies, etc). Denying God seem to be an escape and such folks will look for evidence to convince themselves of such wish.
Then most are actually "abused". Growing up in a hypocritical environment. Such that they easily see the fraud of their wannabe mentors.

It's a long way, but like the scriptures said:
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Timoleon(m): 1:22pm On Aug 09, 2021
Yeah. Had too many arguments with my dad. I learnt from it. Many of them could have been avoided by just doing simpler things like. “Church was fine, we thank God” the topic on that automatically ends with such a response and no animosity between the parties
Aidejay:
saves a lot of stress. telling people what they want to hear>>>>>
you speak from experience?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 1:22pm On Aug 09, 2021
Pelecius:

Our culture has made folks to see religion as an escape from whatever PHYSICAL problem they face. Hence, folks pray and pray without WORK, with the impression that prayers solves all.
Unfortunately, Christianity is opposite of such idea. As the formula is Work + Prayers. It's found in one form or the other throughout the scriptures.

So people apply wrong formula and become angry when they get wrong result. Worse, others become angry after yielding to their own lust and things go South.
Other category (maybe like op) are not too comfortable with the moral obligations that comes with belief in God (such as no extra marital sex, no fraud or quick money, moderate social life when they actually want more, no hate but pure love, in fact, you are to pray for your enemies, etc). Denying God seem to be an escape and such folks will look for evidence to convince themselves of such wish.
Then most are actually "abused". Growing up in a hypocritical environment. Such that they easily see the fraud of their wannabe mentors.

It's a long way, but like the scriptures said:
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free

I hope you can get one very simple fact from the reality around you
That may be true for you but not for everyone as far as this material objective world is concerned
Many people do well without any kind of prayer and folk like you need to acknowledge and respect that with HONESTY
Japan, Korea, China, Singapore are reasonably successful nations economically and they are not Christian

Logically therefore on this earth people can do well without religion or Christianity

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Aidejay(m): 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
Timoleon:
Yeah. Had too many arguments with my dad. I learnt from it. Many of them could have been avoided by just doing simpler things like. “Church was fine, we thank God” the topic on that automatically ends with such a response and no animosity between the parties

grin grin grin
the infamous "WE THANK GOD" works everytime!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Image123(m): 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
LordReed:

The sad truth is that until you are on your own most parents will brook no opposition to their religious ideas. I would say wait until you move out before you brooch the subject.

And must the OP "brooch" the subject? Must you people evangelize?
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by bixton(m): 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

There seems to be a misconception as to the purpose of prayers. But I would not write much based on your short narrative for you have your reasons.
But whatever the case maybe.....I want you to open your Bible and read that STORY CHRIST JESUS spoke of the rich man and Lazarus and also about that rich man after gathering/storing wealth told himself that he ought to rest now and Jesus said he died that same night for God called such a person foolish .

I hope you'll understand the point I'm coming from.
Shalom.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Bluntemperor: 1:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

You are jazed but you also believed in fantasy,eh!
What you don't know,it's better you moved closer to your dad or mum so they give you a better explanation on Divinity for even many great Scientists believe there is existence of God virtually in all matters!
I pray you received sence now and get to Salvation ship sooner than later!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Timoleon(m): 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
You Dey there ba. Bros how far na?...we thank God o, how family, we thank God o, how anything? Omo we thank God o. It saves you from explaining especially when you don’t want to or you don’t have to. And of course even though the other person knows you have cut the conversation short they don’t feel disrespected after all you have involved God.
Aidejay:

grin grin grin
the infamous "WE THANK GOD" works everytime!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Olaideolayemi(m): 1:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
God doesn't have religion.. Worship him the way you understand it by yourself..
MALIGNANTGuest:

I'm not doubting you.
The Truth is, RELIGION is a way thru which people make supplication & atonement unto God.
The issue we have is, every RELIGION tries to claim ownership of God.
Some even challenge others to God's ownership through killings, destruction of lives/ properties.
But my question is
What RELIGION is GOD?
No pastor has answered this..

The question settles a lot of disputes
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by indadi(m): 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2021
Plomo:

What is this? Mtchewww

=======================================

Listen OP, there is only one way to do what you want to do; and that is tell them to their faces.

I don’t know how old you are or if you’re a graduate and working or still in school or if you still live with your parents.

If you’re still in school, they assume that you’re still a kid and must listen to and do all they say because they alone know what’s best for you.

If you’re already independent to some extent, they’ll still try but at the end of the day, they have to accept that you’re your own person now. You will make your own decisions and stand by them.

If you don’t already stand up to your parents, well now is the time to start. Standing up to them does not necessarily mean being rude to them but you shouldn’t be scared to say “I’m sorry but no” when they say or suggest somethings.

Religion is a personal choice and decision. Parents should stop forcing and pushing their children. You cannot force it down someone’s throat.

I am 23 and I graduated last year
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by chris51(f): 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

I really don't understand what you mean
I learned to work hard for what I want so that I won't have to beg from others.
I have my reasons for my decision but that's a story for another day

If you have your reasons for decision you took, you don't need anybody's advice
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

I'll best advise you make enough money so that you're not dependent on them...

Someone told me how his parents stopped paying his school fees because he told he was an atheist..
So try to be less dependent before informing them
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Hassanmaye(m): 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2021
obembet:
A peaceful household shows that the bastard is still young grin

grin
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by jimmychang: 1:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
KallmemrB0:
I pray this guy don't experience what they actually call life.....

Bible that says praying without ceasing... is not a child's play oo

It is the life that makes people stop believing religion or whatever you call it.

I pray you don't experience a situation where you will doubt your God and belief.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Olaideolayemi:
God doesn't have religion.. Worship him the way you understand it by yourself..
Now that's the answer.
IF GOD doesn't have a religion, why would one assume his religion is supreme & the best through which you can get to God...?

Did God tell people how he would like to be worshipped or what?
All these are the works of MEN.
You find the laziest men in Religious societies.
The WEALTHIEST MEN are usually smart & critical thinkers trying hard to proffer solutions to world problems.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Semaj77(m): 1:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Kandeed:

Sadly, this is the truth. we grew up knowing without God if everything seems going well with you, you just gotta be careful, there's something wrong ur just ignorant of

But I hope you get to understand sooner than later tho

I have read this your comment like ten times and seriously I'm finding it very hard to understand
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by triplechoice(m): 1:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
@Op,
I dont see how it can ever be polite to tell your parents while you still live with them that you're leaving religion.

Even when you move away and start to live alone, t's still not a wise decision to let your dad know. Religious beliefs in this part of the world is something that most people emotionally hold on to.

Except you don't have regard and consideration for your dad, you just might end up breaking his heart with your decision .

Responsible people consider how their decision might affect others around them before acting. You seem not to care and one wonders why?

Is it because of the things you have been reading here and elsewhere from persons whose personal circumstances you don't really know?

If you were married with kids already and your wife a devoted Christian, what decision would you have taken if you then decided to stop praying?

Divorce her and also abandoned your kids to leave alone so they don't disturb you?

My mother , when she was alive , was a devoted Christian and each time I go to visit her ,she always drown me with prayers . She doesn't know I no longer go to any church.

Why would I, during those times , except something was wrong with me, ever consider letting her know what I now believe and also asking her to stop praying for me?

In Africa ,the family unit is a close knit one where everyone look out for each other. Whatever decisions you make and whatever affects you is felt by everyone within the family circle.

So you should consider the disharmony you might introduce into your family circle with what you intend to do.

Apply common sense and know that your family might not be ready for what you intend to do at this time or in the future.

Anyway, I don't think you can handle the outcome. You're just bluffing.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Plomo: 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

I am 23 and I graduated last year

They still see you as their boy who should be taking their advice without question.

Start letting them know that you are now old enough to make some certain decisions.

I was in secondary school (catholic school for that matter) when I stopped going to church. I dragged it with my parents but I let them know that religion, just like marriage is my personal choice. You can’t force me to do what I don’t want to do.

Ignore those telling you not to discuss it with them. A time will come when you want to get married or do something and they, still living under the assumption that you’re a “christian”, will be shocked when you tell them you’re not.

Once again, I am not saying you should be rude to them but there is a way you’ll talk to your father that he’ll know that his boy is now a man.

Cheers!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Semaj77(m): 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
JaneYave:
The prayers you don't pray today, You will pray tomorrow.
Storms are so real. It takes prayers to stand strong when they come.

Ignorance is bliss
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by inforesource: 1:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
Trust me bros, a time will come that nobody will ask you to find God. You will use your leg to look for Him. Go and ask Steve Jobs. Believe me, knowing God is not about you succeeding. Don't worry time will come when you know better. There is a law that rules the earth, if you obey these laws, you will make it, just as you do not pray for your yam to grow when you obey its laws of sowing and time. But a time comes when all your skills and strength seems not working. Then!!!!!!! I wish you LUCK! Always remember JESUS LOVES YOU. Whenever you need HIM HE will be there for you.

indadi:

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by olamoses75(m): 1:41pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

everyone will surely pray bro, especially we Africans, just that our praying time differs from one another. That things are going well for you presently without prayer is because you've never aim high enough. I would rather you start praying and believing in God now than wait for the devil to knock at your door. I don't really want to see you going from one mountain to another in your old age. If you don't want to do it for yourself, atleast do it for your unborn children.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by indadi(m): 1:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

I don't know why I can't modify my post but for those wondering and asking I am 23 and graduated, and working as well
I remember someone who told his parents something like this and almost the entire community saw him as a devil incarnate
There are actually a lot of reasons for my decision but no matter what I say people who won't accept it won't accept.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by triplechoice(m): 1:53pm On Aug 09, 2021
Judybash93:
My mum is an elder in the church, my father is a strong believer and I'm an unbeliever. Due to the open relationship that I have with my father, i had to come clean so as to let him know that I'm no more a believer. He was shocked at first but when i explained reasons why I'm no more following their religious beliefs, he was satisfied and said that I should choose my way. My mum doesn't know yet.

Your dad could take it but not your mum the reason you have not informed her

In the case of the Op ,the dad is a devoted Christian who is emotional about his Christian beliefs. Hence the constant phone calls for his son to pray

So you personal circumstances and that of the Op are not the same. He cannot apply your advice
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by CalmElder(m): 1:58pm On Aug 09, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

IF I relocate you to Cape Verde or Caribbean Island with 500million in your account, you will feel same.

500 million, CHANGE of environment to Cape Verde or the Caribbean will give me peace and joy, but not indescribable.
I will experience the aforementioned emotions because I have 500 million plus the privilege of a tranquil and scenic environment.
Besides, I won't receive healing miraculously.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by rotvick(m): 2:00pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

indadi:

indadi:

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
aribisala0:

I hope you can get one very simple fact from the reality around you
That may be true for you but not for everyone as far as this material objective world is concerned
Many people do well without any kind of prayer and folk like you need to acknowledge and respect that with HONESTY
Japan, Korea, China, Singapore are reasonably successful nations economically and they are not Christian

Logically therefore on this earth people can do well without religion or Christianity
I just explained something now but you seem not to get it.

You don't need prayers to fly a plane or to do trade. It's a wrong culture that brought about such misconception. It is never a Christian thing.
Even the Bible teaches that being successful is factored primarily on diligence, then God can bless (maybe by preventing unnecessary loses, etc).

So, the premise is wrong to start with because religion is not the factor in determining how countries become economical successful.
You may do well to unlearn and relearn that

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? / Man Does Acrobatics During Deliverance Session Conducted By 'Snake Pastor'.Photo / Nigerians, Road Accidents And The Blood Of Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.