Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion (25496 Views)

I Don't Need Any Religion - Wole Soyinka / Any Religion or Secret group that entices people with money Is satanic / Why Freemasonry Is Better Than Any Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Sapeleomi: 2:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
I think you don't own them an explanation for now.. Cos they may misconstrued your intention rather let your action and behavior speak for you... . As parents, with the best of intention, they have been conditioned to see things from a different perspectives, which unfortunately is the legacy of our colonial legacy..
I think your reasoning shows your maturity to critical assess and problem solve issues rather than rely on superstition or dem say... ... Continue to follow your conscience, ensure your decision is based on evidence, knowledge and consideration for others.. You will be fine... The bottom line is that it is a generational shift.. Ours generation are more exposed and adaptable and curious than our parents... Stay positive and remember knowledge is superior than faith... Focus on self development.... quote author=indadi post=104581482]My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

I really want to tell them in a polite way so they can accept my way.

My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing.[/quote]
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Ayomi90: 2:10pm On Aug 09, 2021
BriskhoffBox:

Elon Musk's parents must have been fierce prayer warriors ooooo���
Who knows? Don't also judge everything based on money Me BriskkhoffBox, there is more to life than money alone.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Johel(m): 2:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
Pelecius:

Mere statement and your simple opinion.

Have a peaceful day

Look around you and be honest with yourself,stop self deceit and sentiment.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Blackdisciple(m): 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
So you want to dey waka mumu mumu for road abi

So you think say this life you are seeing is just an ordinary eye abi??
You thought is about all these things you are seeing as you stepped out of you mansion in the morning, the sky scrappers , the tall glass buildings, the good roads, electricity, money and all that Bro e pass like that, the live is in dimensions which one do you chose matters but being in the middle you are exposed to evil .

But I hope you make up your mind some day and I also hope you chose the good one.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
Professorcplus:
@op indadi. Welcome to reality... It only takes one with a bold mind to take such bold decision.... I was once like you... But I will share you with few life skills... Because, religion is embedded in our society.

A. You have to create a purpose for yourself to fill into those your over religion era. Truly one of the purpose of religion is to create purpose and meanings to this meaningless life. If the meaning becomes obscure, you create one for yourself...

B. Not being religious doesn't mean you have to become bad and lost your humanity in you. You have just over grown doing good thing for religion/heavenly rewards, instead, you do then for doing sake, out of good will regardless.

C. You need to recreate yourself, listen to podcasts, topic you seem interested, read book, you can even start exploring other religions book/bible, listen to the christian sermon. There are good lessons and life principles you can pick up from them all discarding the unirrelevant ones.

D. No doubt, you will always found yourself among the religious one, learn to get along with then, you don't necessarily need agree with then, Afterall everyone has a belief of disbelief in something.. Just stick to what you belief in. As for your parents, play along till they get the drift.

E. Learn to know that your destiny is in your hand. Do what you can do within your capacity/hand and do not leave everything to changes just like majority of xtains, they pray, pray more than they work.. and abandon major life principles...

F. Regardless of what you are, who you are, life can be hard, and funny enough, it doesn't give sh!t about anyone. People stick to religion because it simple make then feel good during trying times... You might as well have overgrown solidarity in the concept of God/religion but attimes, we need to keep our imagination higher. Find what give you that high fantasy. One of mine is casting crown songs and other good lyrics, I watch how superman save the world, I day dream even though I don't believe but it makes me feel better.

G. Lastly, don't waist all your youthful time, trying to make a point to people especially people of different faith, keep your faith to yourself, and let your actions do the talking. everyone can't agree with you. Just like most xtains don't associates with unbelivers, just like other religions doesn't associates with other. Move with those that accept you and leave those who doesn't just like King Solomon in the bible.

Religion put you in cage, you have to liberate yourself from man-made concept
Cc. KallmemrB0, rosalieene,  BamakSNR, janeYave

Perfect advice.......
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Semaj77(m): 2:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
Rebuke:
By taking responsibilities; move out to start living and providing for yhurself, don't forget to also change your surname undecided

Finally, when yhu have yhur children be prepared for the same experience. undecided

Such an asinine response
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
palsenator:

It will shock you to know that the prayerfulness of your parents formed the essence of grace you are enjoying. Don't be deceived if anyone tells you that there is no God...

There's no God oga
.... No prayerfulness of his parents formed any shit.....it was only their hardwork and brain that provided whatever he's enjoying

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing.
Do you really need to tell them?

You are an adult..

Tell them once and never bring it up again

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by BriskhoffBox: 2:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Ayomi90:

Who knows? Don't also judge everything based on money Me BriskkhoffBox, there is more to life than money alone.

He's not just rich, he's living the best life religious folks dream, pray and fast to live

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

You don't have to if you don't want . Religion has been used as a tool to brainwash, control and intimidate the average Nigerians.

With all the religion in Nigeria, we have zero morality.
My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by palsenator(m): 2:31pm On Aug 09, 2021
Xavfra:

There's no God oga
.... No prayerfulness of his parents formed any shit.....it was only their hardwork and brain that provided whatever he's enjoying

I was once like you until I came in contact with the reality.... I once thought like u that there was no God, so I don't blame anyone else who felt that way...

* What do you base your conclusion on? Is is science or something else?

* I will show you several factors unexplainable by science about God.

* I don't view God on a throne in heaven like the popular Christian beliefs but He exists

* If you don't mind, we can both openly have a decent conversation on this topic and I promise you that in the end, without quoting any scriptural reference, you will have a rethink.

* God is real and the evidence abound.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by indadi(m): 2:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
Blackdisciple:
So you want to dey waka mumu mumu for road abi

So you think say this life you are seeing is just an ordinary eye abi??
You thought is about all these things you are seeing as you stepped out of you mansion in the morning, the sky scrappers , the tall glass buildings, the good roads, electricity, money and all that Bro e pass like that, the live is in dimensions which one do you chose matters but being in the middle you are exposed to evil .

But I hope you make up your mind some day and I also hope you chose the good one.

This is one of my problems with believers
The threats
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
henrybangs44:

Says who grin grin grin where are u ppl getting all these fake saying from. Africa my continent, anything in the name of religion is welcome even without proven its validity.

Are u saying Christians always end up happy in the world and non Christians always end up unhappy? What's wrong with you back people

Honestly, their go's don take their brain and money. What a shame!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 2:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
obembet:
A peaceful household shows that the bastard is still young grin

SHUT UP THERE!!!

HE MIGHT BE YOUNG BUT HE IS VERY INTELLIGENT FOR HIM TO HAVE KNOWN THAT RELIGION IS JUST A BELIEF FILLED WITH MAN-MADE RULES BY MAN TO SUBJECT OTHER MEN TO HIS WISHES

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Dannythunder(m): 2:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
[color=#990000][/color]
This is my own journey as an atheist:
I became an atheist about thirteen years, when I was only seventeen years old. The reason for my change was my father. He followed the tenets of his Christian faith to the smallest detail. He used metal rods to beat me when I was younger--yeah, you read right, metal rods. He justified his abusive acts with a Bible quote that said: 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. He would accuse me of witchcraft and of using witchcraft to cause his financial problems anytime I fell asleep in his long and overdrawn midnight prayers. When I got admitted into the University of Ibadan at age 17, I became an atheist. Prior to that decision, I had slowly been doubting the teachings of the Bible, I had started thinking them as ridiculously, far-fetched set of rules created by men to explain the unexplainable in the most ridiculous way imaginable. Of Course, I kept my Irreligiosity a secret. Even in the University, no one knew I was atheistic, untill I was age 20. That was the age I decided to let it all out. My best friends at University didn't react badly because they had already perceived my irreligiosity from the apathetic way I regarded religious matters. But when I told my father, he stopped paying my school fees and stopped sending me money. He cursed me and told me my future would end in tatters . Of course, I was prepared for this, I used my business earnings to take care of the rest. My family disowned, so I was stranded without a place to call home. But in my last year at University, I won a scholarship to further my education abroad (MSC) in the University of Liverpool. The scholarship was worth £70,000. By the time I was done with my Masters I was already a millionaire. The first in my family. The first atheist, the first millionaire. My father was shocked, of course, and started accusing me of Blood money, money rituals, this and this and that, but it didn't matter to me anymore. Atheism is the best decision I've ever made, don't let yourself be discouraged by your parents or anyone else

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by indadi(m): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2021
Dannythunder:
[color=#990000][/color]
I became an atheist about thirteen years, when I was only seventeen years old. The reason for my change was my father. He followed the tenets of his Christian faith to the smallest detail. He used metal rods to beat me when I was younger--yeah, you read right, metal rods. He justified his abusive acts with a Bible quote that said: 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. He would accuse me of witchcraft and of using witchcraft to cause his financial problems anytime I fell asleep in his long and overdrawn midnight prayers. When I got admitted into the University of Ibadan at age 17, I became an atheist. Prior to that decision, I had slowly been doubting the teachings of the Bible, I had started thinking them as ridiculously, far-fetched set of rules created by men to explain the unexplainable in the most ridiculous way imaginable. Of Course, I kept my Irreligiosity a secret. Even in the University, no one knew I was atheistic, untill I was age 20. That was the age I decided to let it all out. My best friends at University didn't react badly because they had already perceived my irreligiosity from the apathetic way I regarded religious matters. But when I told my father, he stopped paying my school fees and stopped sending me money. He cursed me and told me my future would end in tatters . Of course, I was prepared for this, I used my business earnings to take care of the rest. My family disowned, so I was stranded without a place to call home. But in my last year at University, I won a scholarship to further my education abroad (MSC) in the University of Liverpool. The scholarship was worth £70,000. By the time I was done with my Masters I was already a millionaire. The first in my family. The first atheist, the first millionaire. My father was shocked, of course, and started accusing me of Blood money, money rituals, this and this and that, but it didn't matter to me anymore. Atheism is the best decision I've ever made, don't let yourself be discouraged by your parents or anyone else
Sir I must say I am very impressed and I appreciate your comment

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Ochelyko1: 2:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

To me am not against you not to be in any religion, but as far as the heaven and the Earth exit God is God and there is nothing u can do about it, what ever u think u are achieving now is all by his grace and nothing More.

One more thing christainity is not a religion but a life, u don't follow the religion of men and claim u don't like it. Follow Jesus who is the author and the finisher of ur faith only in him will u find rest and peace of mind.

Let me tell u bro u can't be neutral is either u are for God or for Satan simple no two ways about it.

Leave the religious men and their churches and know God for ur self.

One thing am always glad of and happy about is dat what ever you do here on Earth is already recorded in the Bible and no matter how ignorant u think u want to be at the last day of judgement is still these same Jesus that will still judge u and decide ur faith where to spend ur eternity.

Even demons and occultic people's knows that God and his son Jesus exit's and they are real.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Semaj77(m): 2:48pm On Aug 09, 2021
rosalieene:

the birth of an Atheist.
Just like your dad said, ITS GOD OR NOTHING!!
HE HAS SEEN LIFE. HE KNOWS NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT GOD.
EVER WONDERED WHY PEOPLE AT OLD AGE RUN TO GOD?
HOW MANY OLDER PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY ARE ATHEISTS?
HAVE YOU PONDERED OVER THIS?

WHEN LIFE HITS YOU SO HARD, THEN YOU WILL REALISE THAT ITS GOD OR NOTHING.

Do you know how many older people from other countries who are atheist , or you think this country is the only country on this earth , have you pondered upon it
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 2:54pm On Aug 09, 2021
Johel:

Look around you and be honest with yourself,stop self deceit and sentiment.
I don't understand. The honesty is that Christianity is shit? grin
Like I said, it's just your opinion and is largely based on ignorance of what Christianity teaches.

Rather, you should be the one to heed your advice.
Be honest
Stop self deceit
And be objective, instead of allowing emotion and prejudice rule
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Ayomi90: 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2021
BriskhoffBox:

He's not just rich, he's living the best life religious folks dream, pray and fast to live
What about his family, Where is his wife? Mind you believing there is God is different from being religious. Many ppl go to church, they worship God but they will never tell you they are religious. Righteousness is different from religion.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

You have been Liberated.
Your TOPIC is one of the most distinguished Topics this year.

I keep telling people that kids are forced into religion because they have no choice of their own.
IF most kids had such, they would not chose any of the see religions causing troubles everywhere.
These RELIGIONS do not know God at all.
In fact, they don't have anything to do with God not to talk of hearing from him.

Your comment is legit
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by kushme: 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

Op, just keep it to yourself. What they don't know won't hurt y'all.. So, there is no need telling..
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 3:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
Image123:

And must the OP "brooch" the subject? Must you people evangelize?
Evangelism is done more in New atheism than in Christianity, with high priests: Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Neil deGrasse, Christopher Hitchens, etc with anti God sites serving as 'worship' centers inorder to get half truths to cement their beliefs
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
neyoohhh:
Most people are atheist until they experience a near death experience.

Fear anyone who says my religion is humanity!

Lies.....
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
Ellasure:

Your father does not need to remind you again about your need to worship what you like, it a free world after all. You are well educated and you still have money in the bank and plenty food in the house and your tomorrow is fully secured.

My dear it is either you are stupid and foolish listening to your dad Or it is your dad that is very ignorant and foolish to be reminding you to worship God almighty.

You happen to be one of the creator of this world and you can understand everything happening around you. Probably you employ people and assign tasks at will to them and they obey you because everything is going well for you.

Sorry ooooh, you are very wrong and there is a banana peel on the ground near where you are currently standing and because you are blind with your eyes wide open can not see the common banana peels that will fall you shortly.

For this demonic thinking to have come to your mind, run very quickly to a worship center near you and offer a prayer requests to God almighty for forgiveness and blessings upon you and your father. Sharp Sharp. Wishing you well and speedy recovery from unbelieving spirits.

That's all Christians do best....
Scare people with bullshits
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Rebuke: 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Semaj77:

Such an asinine response

Seek help for yhur psychosis ASAP.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
seunmsg:

Do not bother to raise the issue for now cos you won't get any meaningful response. Wait till you move out of your parents house and make your decision known to them if it is necessary. I stopped attending all religious programs when i moved out of my parents house.

Same here....

Try to garner some Independence then they'll honour your decision better
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Semaj77(m): 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
Rebuke:

Seek help for yhur psychosis ASAP.

Believe me , psychosis is better than being totally raving mad which you are. What you need is to be chained down in a mental institution
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
palsenator:

I was once like you until I came in contact with the reality.... I once thought like u that there was no God, so I don't blame anyone else who felt that way...

* What do you base your conclusion on? Is is science or something else?

* I will show you several factors unexplainable by science about God.

* I don't view God on a throne in heaven like the popular Christian beliefs but He exists

* If you don't mind, we can both openly have a decent conversation on this topic and I promise you that in the end, without quoting any scriptural reference, you will have a rethink.

* God is real and the evidence abound.

I live a simple life....
Hate complications except when I need it to manipulate a situation.....

I don't use to science as a base..... shocked

I once told a priest "religion is like weed, it gives you an utopic feeling that goes away when you face reality"......

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 3:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

I don't know why I can't modify my post but for those wondering and asking I am 23 and graduated, and working as well
I remember someone who told his parents something like this and almost the entire community saw him as a devil incarnate
There are actually a lot of reasons for my decision but no matter what I say people who won't accept it won't accept.
I don't know what you practice before but some of us here have gone through the phase of unbelief before. I was in school then and was introduced to many info I don't know before.
It wasn't easy to just dismiss them, being the curious and inquisitive one right from childhood. But that curiosity made me search deeper and I got answers. It took months (few years actually), and an objective mind to drive through the tons of info for and against God to get to a conclusion.
Personal encounter did the remaining and I am forever grateful for his mercy.

I don't think you have done searching and counter searching before making conclusion, as your reasons are incompatible with what Christianity teaches in the first place (assuming you're a Christian), showing some form of inadequate knowledge.

And there's a difference between being religious and actually having a relationship with him.
Religious folks tend to be sort of antagonistic once you are not with them, but a follower of Christ is meant to LOVE whosoever
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by seunmsg(m): 3:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
Dannythunder:
[color=#990000][/color]

This is the kind of testimony that people should share for others to learn from. I am not an atheist but i stopped attending church since 2010. Since then, I have never looked back and against all negative prophesies, I am not doing badly. Folks who have freed themselves from religious bondage really need to put their stories out more often to encourage others to break free from the bondage that religion represents.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Gilbertkwabena(m): 3:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

No enlighten,wise or intelligent person on earth who wasn't a rebellion person. Only fools obey and do everything told them, decide what you to be become. A wise,intelligent, enlighten or a fool?

Your parent or anyone shouldn't control u with what you do with your life...

My pastor nd I are still frnds even when am no longer in religious... my parents doesn't like it neither but they have no choice, after it's my life. So brother, do what pleases nd is best for you. Gud luck

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Little Child Tortured For Days Over Witchcraft Accusation (Photos) / Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? / Man Does Acrobatics During Deliverance Session Conducted By 'Snake Pastor'.Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.