Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? (1398 Views)

Joining Your People To Call For Secession Is Wrong - Ganduje Tells Colleagues / Wike On Secession: Won’t Allow Anyone To Annex, Hoist Unnecessary Flag In Rivers / Reasons Why Secession Is A Suicide Mission For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by LegalWolf: 3:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
BKayy:

No. The same can't be said for any where in Europe. That is why you have 30 thousand people in San Marino as a country.
20 thousand people in Gibraltar as a country.
35 thousand and 30 thousand people in Leicheistein and Luxembourg as countries.
Why is our own, black people different?

While at it. Try to answer atleast one of my questions here
https://www.nairaland.com/6693573/questions-secessionists-one-nigerians

These are outliers - the exception rather than the rule. And a point of correction: Gibraltar is NOT a country in the sense of it.
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
1243tr:
[s][/s]
your mama toto dey smell like rotten egg yolks

Chai! grin grin grin grin
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Monogamy: 3:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
SLAP44:

You mean Malami and buhaia? Calling them jokers is a big respect, they are clowns grin

Guy, you are not engaging with a toddler.. I responded to Igboho and Kanu which you mentioned..

How did Buhari and Malami got into this discussion...

Please maintain your lane... Ain't gat no time for back and forth argument
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by LegalWolf: 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Monogamy:

The Catalonia, Scottish that their political elites are involved in the secession, yet they have not had their new country, that's organized country oo not to talk of Nigeria.

The secessionists in Nigeria have not been sincere with their agitations. Their agitations have all been about Buhari and Cow.

I believe when buhari leaves in 2023, these agitations will die down
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Monogamy:

Guy, you are not engaging with a toddler.. I responded to Igboho and Kanu which you mentioned..

How did Buhari and Malami got into this discussion...

Please maintain your lane... Ain't gat no time for back and forth argument

How can you insult Sunday Igboho who is fighting for the yoruba nation? Your hate for the yoruba is not healthy for you.
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Monogamy: 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
LegalWolf:

That is for sure.. Infact it should be before the end of Buhari's tenure as the secessionists are now realizing it's an exercise in futility
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:18pm On Aug 09, 2021
LegalWolf:

Never.

That's the way we thought when Jonathan leaves the north will embrace peace. Nigeria is expired and all the gums being applied to artificially hold the country is also expiring.

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by BKayy: 3:19pm On Aug 09, 2021
LegalWolf:

These are outliers - the exception rather than the rule. And a point of correction: Gibraltar is NOT a country in the sense of it.
Then what about Luxembourg, Leicheistein, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, San Marino, Bosnia, Croatia to list a few?
Are they not countries?
Are they not ethnic groups? Or an ordinary branch of an ethnic group?
Even two there are extended families but a country.
Why are black people not allowed to choose what they want?
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:19pm On Aug 09, 2021
Monogamy:

That is for sure.. Infact it should be before the end of Buhari's tenure as the secessionists are now realizing it's an exercise in futility

I seriously believe you are out of touch with reality.

But living on a fairy tale is allowed, you can even start believing your own lies.
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Monogamy: 3:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
SLAP44:

I seriously believe you are out of touch with reality.

But living on a fairy tale is allowed, you can even start believing your own lies.

Please stop and find your mates to engage with
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:21pm On Aug 09, 2021
BKayy:

Then what about Luxembourg, Leicheistein, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, San Marino, Bosnia, Croatia to list a few?
Are they not countries?
Are they not ethnic groups? Or an ordinary branch of an ethnic group?
Even two there are extended families but a country.
Why are black people not allowed to choose what they want?

Don't bother yourself teaching these people, their region doesn't believe in education. So Their Cognitive Faculties Are paralytic. grin
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:22pm On Aug 09, 2021
Monogamy:

I have beaten you once again with superior arguments. You can run away to another thread to avoid more blows. grin
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by cheruv: 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
LegalWolf:

Did you know the wars those state fought in order to forge a country? And where did you get this perception that most of the countries in Europe are homogeneous? France, Russia, Uk, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine and almost all of them are NOT homogeneous. If you say a particular language dominates, I may agree with that. But homogeneous? Nah!
Homogeneity is having one language and cultural identity, contrasting with Nigeria, all these countries in Europe you mentioned have it... That it took them a day or a millennium to achieve it is immaterial.
Even countries like Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia that were formed on the ashes of the Habsburg realm have also dissolved into their component ethnicities, so what are you saying??
In Nigeria, the North has homogeneity in terms of language and culture, it's not bad if they become Jamhuriyar Taraiyar Arewa/جَمحُرِيَر تَرَعِيَر اَريوَا but don't expect that kinda tomfoolery from the South!

3 Likes

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SLAP44: 3:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
Monogamy:

I know that unu amaro ka anyi si kwadoo. grin

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by meccuno: 3:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
[s]
LegalWolf:
The prevailing sentiments, particularly south of the Niger, is that the geographical expression called Nigeria should be unbundled. If this is done, according to the arrowheads, the new entities formed out of Nigeria will turn into an el dorado of a sort. It is believed, at least in certain quarters, that all the problems confronting Nigeria would not apply to them.

I propose to contest the the legitimacy of these claims. But prior to delving into this, let me make a confession: I have a sheer bias for the concept of one Nigeria. Furthermore, I concede that Nigeria has a lot of structural problems, too many that it cannot be solved in, lets say, five years. But this bias notwithstanding, I will be as objective as far as possible in making my submissions. If you are unwilling to exchange opinion and rebut my argument respectfully, please do not bother reading. Clearly, this thread is not for you.

As far as we know, there are two prominent groups/persona for the call for secession. The first, which in my mind has the most appeal, is Nnamdi Kanu and his Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) movement. IPOB seeks to achieve the secession of South East and certain parts of South South and North Central. this new country will be called Biafra and will be the homeland of the Igbo people.

The second on the other hand, which gained currency following perceived Fulani attacks in Ibadan, is the Yoruba Nation movement currently led by Sunday Igboho. Like his counterpart, Sunday Igboho also wants to carve out an Oodua Republic from Nigeria. The new country will cover the current south western part of the country.

Having given this context, let me highlight the reasons why I think neither Biafra or Odua Republic will necessarily better the lots of the people:

1. The Character of the Leaders:

Both Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Igboho are persons of questionable character. Pictorial and video evidence abounds of NK insulting elders and people of other tribes. Of recent, Reno Omokri who used to support NK and his folks revoked his allegiance. This is on the ground of insults and diatribes he has poured on people of other faiths and tribe. In fact, there is no evidence to show that he has retracted these statements. The same thing applies to Sunday Igboho.

To these two people, anyone who does not support the idea of Biafra or Yoruba nation is a coward and should be stifled. In fact, there was a video I saw that broke my heart. Sunday was asked to say something about Pa Adeboye who just lost his child and his response was: I don't have anything to say... those who don't support Yoruba nation, they will be losing their children as they are losing their wives!!! Why should that be? If the both achieve their republics, what would happen to freedom?

2. Tendency to breed dictators

It is easier to have dictators in homogenous republics like Oodua Republic and Biafra than it is in Nigeria. You think Hausa and Igbo people hate themselves? Let a Yoruba president try to exceed the term of his office and you will see wonders. But with these republics, it is impossible to check.

3. Corruption

Do you think that officials will be less corrupt under Yoruba/Biafra republics than Nigeria? Do you think that all public officials will just become just and do the right thing because it is a new country? Police officers will stop taking bribe and shooting indiscriminately? We hear the excesses of amotekun folks and they have not been given guns. What do you think will happen when they have funds?

4. Economy

Neither NK or Sunday has proposed an economic plan that will usher in their new countries to prosperity. Do these guys even know how macroeconomics and all work? A lot of people voted a particular based on emotions (which i likened to what is currently going on) and we are all still feeling the impact. There is a need for Southern people to ask questions so as not to avoid a repeat of one inefficient president.

5 Others.

There are other reasons as well which I would love to dwell on. But these affect minorities in the North and South. I have written this strictly from a Yoruba and Igbo man's perspective and I will welcome sensible rebuttals.

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun etc.

[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by SimplyShit: 4:59pm On Aug 09, 2021
[s]
LegalWolf:
The prevailing sentiments, particularly south of the Niger, is that the geographical expression called Nigeria should be unbundled. If this is done, according to the arrowheads, the new entities formed out of Nigeria will turn into an el dorado of a sort. It is believed, at least in certain quarters, that all the problems confronting Nigeria would not apply to them.

I propose to contest the the legitimacy of these claims. But prior to delving into this, let me make a confession: I have a sheer bias for the concept of one Nigeria. Furthermore, I concede that Nigeria has a lot of structural problems, too many that it cannot be solved in, lets say, five years. But this bias notwithstanding, I will be as objective as far as possible in making my submissions. If you are unwilling to exchange opinion and rebut my argument respectfully, please do not bother reading. Clearly, this thread is not for you.

As far as we know, there are two prominent groups/persona for the call for secession. The first, which in my mind has the most appeal, is Nnamdi Kanu and his Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) movement. IPOB seeks to achieve the secession of South East and certain parts of South South and North Central. this new country will be called Biafra and will be the homeland of the Igbo people.

The second on the other hand, which gained currency following perceived Fulani attacks in Ibadan, is the Yoruba Nation movement currently led by Sunday Igboho. Like his counterpart, Sunday Igboho also wants to carve out an Oodua Republic from Nigeria. The new country will cover the current south western part of the country.

Having given this context, let me highlight the reasons why I think neither Biafra or Odua Republic will necessarily better the lots of the people:

Both Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Igboho are persons of questionable character. Pictorial and video evidence abounds of NK insulting elders and people of other tribes. Of recent, Reno Omokri who used to support NK and his folks revoked his allegiance. This is on the ground of insults and diatribes he has poured on people of other faiths and tribe. In fact, there is no evidence to show that he has retracted these statements. The same thing applies to Sunday Igboho.

To these two people, anyone who does not support the idea of Biafra or Yoruba nation is a coward and should be stifled. In fact, there was a video I saw that broke my heart. Sunday was asked to say something about Pa Adeboye who just lost his child and his response was: I don't have anything to say... those who don't support Yoruba nation, they will be losing their children as they are losing their wives!!! Why should that be? If the both achieve their republics, what would happen to freedom?

It is easier to have dictators in homogenous republics like Oodua Republic and Biafra than it is in Nigeria. You think Hausa and Igbo people hate themselves? Let a Yoruba president try to exceed the term of his office and you will see wonders. But with these republics, it is impossible to check.

3. Corruption

Do you think that officials will be less corrupt under Yoruba/Biafra republics than Nigeria? Do you think that all public officials will just become just and do the right thing because it is a new country? Police officers will stop taking bribe and shooting indiscriminately? We hear the excesses of amotekun folks and they have not been given guns. What do you think will happen when they have funds?

4. Economy

Neither NK or Sunday has proposed an economic plan that will usher in their new countries to prosperity. Do these guys even know how macroeconomics and all work? A lot of people voted a particular based on emotions (which i likened to what is currently going on) and we are all still feeling the impact. There is a need for Southern people to ask questions so as not to avoid a repeat of one inefficient president.

5 Others.

There are other reasons as well which I would love to dwell on. But these affect minorities in the North and South. I have written this strictly from a Yoruba and Igbo man's perspective and I will welcome sensible rebuttals.

[/s]
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Asgard73: 11:07pm On Aug 09, 2021
LegalWolf:

This is the problem I have with you and people like Gerrard59. So as Africans living in US or UK, u think I am not competent to express my opinion on the political terrain there?

What has my ethnic identity got to do with the conversation?

Okay.. your opinion..
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by discusant: 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2021
LegalWolf:

3. Corruption

4. Economy

5 Others.

With your early beginning that Biafra is being sought as nation for Igbo people, you started to insult yourself as person of limited intellect guided solely by his revulsion or envy of the Igbo,

If you are from the SS region of Nigeria, what stops you from migrating to settle in far north Nigeria since you can’t share one country with Igbo in the majority?
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Biodun556(m): 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2021
LegalWolf:

3. Corruption

4. Economy

5 Others.

It's so sad.

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Biodun556(m): 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2021
overall90:
Everybody with his own opinion.
So according to you the new countries will not work because NK and Igboho insults people.lmao
You people should stop this blackmail because nobody told you that if new nations emerge they will be eldorado.is there any country in this planet that is eldorado? the many countries that Nigerians are dieing to migrate to are they eldorado?
The agitators are talking of a country where basic human needs can be met and right to life respected,where murderers don't get away with wanton destruction of lives etc,I want to live in a country where I can use my coal and gas to generate electricity without encumbrance from someone from thousands of kilometers away.
A country where there is justice and fairness,where merit is rewarded etc.
If you can't comprehend these basic facts,then is no point opening threads here and there.

Can you explain why these individuals deserves this treatment and how it will lead you to all you claim will be achieved in Biafra?

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Biodun556(m): 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2021
LegalWolf:

3. Corruption

4. Economy

5 Others.

Forget, if Nigeria will consider Biafra in future, it will never go beyond the 5 south east states

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Biodun556(m): 3:22pm On Oct 24, 2021
Asgard73:
... according to the op.. he’s a Fulani from Kwara State...
And he’s telling the south what to do an not to do..

Don’t think is normal .. for a southerner can never tell North what to do and how to do.

Not even Obasanjo to Buhari... e no work..

Careless and stupid thread

Yorubas are not part of your agitation, limit yourself to south east
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Biodun556(m): 3:31pm On Oct 24, 2021
Monogamy:
It's a waste of time as long as the political elites are not in support

How will they be in support? Even the business tycoons will not support that foolish Biafra without any economic prosperity.

South East lowest in VAT and IGR
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by LegalWolf: 3:59pm On Oct 24, 2021
discusant:

With your early beginning that Biafra is being sought as nation for Igbo people, you started to insult yourself as person of limited intellect guided solely by his revulsion or envy of the Igbo,

If you are from the SS region of Nigeria, what stops you from migrating to settle in far north Nigeria since you can’t share one country with Igbo in the majority?

You that don’t have “limited intellect”, what exactly are you trying to say with the rubbish you just typed? See, gentleman, not everybody is a myopic, ignorant and senseless as your folks!

The question is : is Biafra not intended to the the homeland of igbos? Is Kanu fighting for Biafra to be the homeland of Tivs, jukun, itsekiri or other ethic minorities? So what exactly is your problem because my assertion is not false. And even if it is (I.e., Biafra is for all of southern people or what not), say it categorically and not insult me! So we can compare who is right. It’s only hypocrite that says something is not true without telling an alternative “truth”.

And to your point: I’m not from SS! And I have right to say whatsoever I want about Biafra or igboland or anybody. Period!
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by discusant: 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2021
LegalWolf:

You that don’t have “limited intellect”, what exactly are you trying to say with the rubbish you just typed? See, gentleman, not everybody is a myopic, ignorant and senseless as your folks!

The question is : is Biafra not intended to the the homeland of igbos? Is Kanu fighting for Biafra to be the homeland of Tivs, jukun, itsekiri or other ethic minorities? So what exactly is your problem because my assertion is not false. And even if it is (I.e., Biafra is for all of southern people or what not), say it categorically and not insult me! So we can compare who is right. It’s only hypocrite that says something is not true without telling an alternative “truth”.

And to your point: I’m not from SS! And I have right to say whatsoever I want about Biafra or igboland or anybody. Period!
You admitted you are not from the SS. So what the heck gave you the information that Biafra is being sought for as an Igbo homeland?
Biafra has never been a homeland for only the Igbo, right from the beginning. Igbos had as much claim to Biafra as the Ijaws, Efiks, Ogojas, Ogonis have claim to Biafra as homeland, beginning when the Eastern Consultative Council represented by all the ethnic groups in the old eastern region decided to pull Biafra out of Nigeria in 1967.

They said you are a Fulani from Kwara state; so how do you feel if you are told by a stranger that possible Arewa Islamic Sharia Republic shall be a homeland for only Fulani?
People of the 12 northern sharia states that adopted sharia criminal laws, and share common value systems, are not all Fulani, after all.
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Igboid: 7:13pm On Oct 24, 2021
Monogamy:

Keep deceiving yourselves.
The Igbo desire to leave NIGERIA is irreversible.
The more some of you try to hold us against our wishes, it will become a violent struggle again, first our leaders who are serving as your fifth columnists will be dethroned, then we come for you all.
Re: Thoughts On Secession: Is It Worth The Effort? by Igboid: 7:15pm On Oct 24, 2021
discusant:

You admitted you are not from the SS. So what the heck gave you the information that Biafra is being sought for as an Igbo homeland?
Biafra has never been a homeland for only the Igbo, right from the beginning. Igbos had as much claim to Biafra as the Ijaws, Efiks, Ogojas, Ogonis have claim to Biafra as homeland, beginning when the Eastern Consultative Council represented by all the ethnic groups in the old eastern region decided to pull Biafra out of Nigeria in 1967.

They said you are a Fulani from Kwara state; so how do you feel if you are told by a stranger that possible Arewa Islamic Sharia Republic shall be a homeland for only Fulani?
People of the 12 northern sharia states that adopted sharia criminal laws, and share common value systems, are not all Fulani, after all.

Please!!
He is right on modern Biafra being sought for as a homeland for Ndiigbo.
Some of you can just stop deceiving yourselves with the fantasies of Multiethnic BIAFRA with minorities.
Look at the sit at home, do you see Minorities observing it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Election Will Not Hold In Anambra - Simon Ekpa Insists, Followers React / Civil War II: Afamefuna, Others Blast Simon Ekpa Over War Declaration / IPOB, The Only Loser In This Anambra Election?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.