Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property (36307 Views)

How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / My Uncles Fixed My Late Father's Burial Without Informing Me, His First Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by chloride6: 7:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
Whoever the father thought best to inherit it.

In the absence of any will, the Mother.

Who the hell is a first son.

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by marsup: 7:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
sentiments aside. If his father did not leave a will, the house will be for the mother, if they were legally married, until she joins her husband. But she should also know that she can’t sell the house. As a first son, if he wants, he can shamelessly bring his wife to live in the house as well, no one can stop him.

7 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 09, 2021
Shame on his money, if he could not use it to maintain peace in the family.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 09, 2021
You need good advice on a matter like this and you choose Nairaland?

You are a dead meat...
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Depressed101: 7:22pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

A friend of mine needs urgent advice before taking a bold step.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

So last year, unfortunately his father died and has since been buried.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

He needs your sincere advise.

Thanks

Please help us help a brother
it is unwise to say you want to evict your mother from a house you said you built for your father.
Build your own or find a way to accommodate everybody who has been living there before you came back frkm SA, from the look of it, it's not like the house is a mansion or, you even bought the land...

The only time you would want to evict your mother is if she starts a new relationship, in That case she most leave the house and follow the man.. Right now she's your father's widow, and it's right to live there, shey you said you built it for your Father not for yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by jaxxy(m): 7:22pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

Thanks

I can never fight my own very biological mother over anything. No be she born u? When I’m not a bastard. I can argue and even disagree bt can’t take any action on her husband’s property without her approval and consent. I can bt I won’t because it’s wrong in my books.

Let the mother have her way and let him go rent an apartment at the end of the day it still belongs to him either ways. The mum is only using it for her comfort or sentimental reasons to remember his dad.

Honor ur parents pls and it will be well with u.

Alternatively u can also develop ur father’s property and give her a section of it while u and ur family stay in another section bt remember u can’t just drive ur siblings out and render them homeless that will be Smtn ur father would expect of u. Unless they already have a place of their own to stay or u help them with that. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
Law is different from common sense

LAW

The first port of call is the title .
does the house have a title?
Assuming it is and is in the name of the deceased
The next question is what type of marriage did they have ?
Registry, Traditional or Islamic
Next did the deceased leave a WILL

1. Will present= follow the will or go to court to challenge the will

2. No Will
a) Registry Marriage, I believe the wife is the legal heir(ess)
b) Traditional Marriage. The wife has no claim whatsoever in Yorubaland if the man has children then they inherit everything though court may exercise discretion
c) Islamic........I no know book oooo

COMMON SENSE

It is totally lacking in shame and common sense for the dispute to have reached this stage. If you built a house for your father what are you thinking when you are now trying to claim it back through court/law etc/

How much de house be sef?
Guy forget about it and make peace with your mother
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
marsup:
sentiments aside. If his father did not leave a will, the house will be for the mother, if they were legally married, until she joins her husband. But she should also know that she can’t sell the house. As a first son, if he wants, he can shamelessly bring his wife to live in the house as well, no one can stop him.
Even according to intestacy rule, the wife will still have absolute use of the house until she dies and the property will then devolve upon the children.

4 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Maobichek: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
oh! My bad. I didnt seem to read it well. He's a Yoruba boy. Ibadan

He built on his father's land, not his own land, he has no right to evict his mum from that house.

I made a serious mistake and there is nothing he can do that the society would accept cos that land belong to his father, thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by ogbonnayaoo: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
The guy should either stay in the said house happily and peacefully with his mum and siblings or go and either rent or build a house of his own. The mother has a full right to the said house as long as she lives. The first son takes charge after the mum's death.

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by osazsky(m): 7:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

how old is d first son..very very important...adult or child ..so its relative and it depends on so many issues..sorry though for not reading ur write up
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by frozen70(f): 7:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

For his mother to be dragging with her son, it means that both of them are not getting along and have never gotten along all the while, even when his dad was alive

For his own interest and safety
Let him forget about that particular house and look for space to build his own house

The mother can use his siblings to fight him because of that house

His mother can maim him because of that house

The whole family can be against him because of that house

At the end, he will finish the house but may not be alive to leave there

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by obembet(f): 7:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:
Mumu wey suppose build house for him mama, dey follow him mama drag house! Ode!

Na wetin dem teach am for South Africa? Those ones no kuku send their parents!

Awon omokomo osi!

Best comment grin
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:25pm On Aug 09, 2021
marsup:
Why can't she sell the house? Do you have any authority for that?
How would it be different if we were talking about cash and not a house?

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by KosiGee(m): 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
lol, he's a nigerian

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Kazim88: 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
The young man is a disappointment.

The house 100% belong to his wife by virtue of marriage but in this case the wife happens to also be his mother.

At this point, it's not about who have right of ownership, even it's your house that you built in your name and you travelled and you parent started leaving in the house, you have no moral justification to evict them.

Let assume the mum is a very terrible person, which is not the case, the best option is to move on because you can't even evict your brothers and sisters from the house talk less of your mother.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by sylve11: 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Sirmuel1:
In Edo state, the First Son inherits the late Father's properties...

The Mother (Late Man's Wife only have access to it, if the first Son is not up to 18 at the time of the burial). The Mother's job is to nurture the Son and keep the property safe for him till he gets to 18yrs.

In this case, I think the Guy has gone too far trying to eject his own Mother and Sisters from the House. He should go somewhere else and leave the House for the family... unless he is a Bastard

Read your first paragraph and the last paragraph if they're in line. Na wa.

@ op, tell your guy to go get an apartment elsewhere. Eventually, the mom will leave the property for him.

In my place, after the father's internment, the elders of the family wades in and share the property, with the female children inheriting something at least; though the son takes the largest of the property. cool
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by FiverrTutor(m): 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2021
Guy leave that house for your mum and siblings.. Abi you no get shame So because you want to marry, you think it's better to eject your family. Guy go and rent your house and start your family. Leave that woman alone

5 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by stanliwise(m): 7:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

He has taken the position of the father, and he has to act like a father. He can’t chase away his siblings just like the father can’t chase his children, neither can he deny his mother just like the father won’t.
But incase any major decision as how the property would be handled, he would be a key decision maker just like the way his father would. No one can make key decision about the property like he would do. But his decision must include the combine interest of the family ‘o matter what.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by OLULAW: 7:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
The idiotic boy wanted to sack his MOTHER and siblings and take in wife to be that had been serviced by boys in the neighbourhood whilst this silly boy worked his socks off in South Africa. The boy should return to SA, work harder to earn more money and build a new flat. He's even lucky that extended family members didn't turn up to claim the house and the mum.

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by abbey621(m): 7:28pm On Aug 09, 2021
As a grown man, will you rather your mother and siblings struggle for a place to live or will you rather rest knowing they are safe in their own home and you are with your own family at a place of your choosing? There's nothing much to say here other than "POVERTY NA BASTARD", it can only be poverty that would allow a son drag property with his own mother, those who have self respect don't rely on inheritance but see it as mere bonus.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Belcon(m): 7:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
Mother..son is adds on..trust me when you know the true meaning of this
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by lyonkate1122: 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
OLULAW:
wife to be that had been serviced by boys in the neighbourhood .
Ohun ti o n dun ni ohun ni ma n po l'oro eni
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by samuel1986(m): 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
That friend of yours is a bunch of fool. He didn't sent a dime to his late father. How could he claimed to have sent money to his late father to build a house and now dragging that same house with his own mum. I know that guy very well, He was selling cigarette in South Africa. Kindly advice him to go and rent one room face me I face you apartment, if he really want to marry. Him mate de build duplex for they mum and he is here dragging 3rooms with his mum and siblings after 6 wasted years in SA. Shameless guy......

4 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by LLiKYekoba: 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2021
Plomo:
What part of the country is he from?

You asked the most important question on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Charlie2020(f): 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:
Mumu wey suppose build house for him mama, dey follow him mama drag house! Ode!

Na wetin dem teach am for South Africa? Those ones no kuku send their parents!

Awon omokomo osi!
. Fear women o. She fit fall in love with a fellow oldie who might eventually take possession of the house. It does happen especially where the children are still very young

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Freddd009: 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
Pavore9:

He can't evict his mother and his sisters from the house, the house belonged to her late husband and his sisters have a right to live in their father's house till they get married.

Exactly....
In other news, guess who is getting married? Bobriskyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ0hZVWzadE
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Goldbw122(m): 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
First son because he has a whole lot of Responsibility to handle in the future, that is why it is good for a woman or wife to have her own land..
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by themanderon: 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
The mother is entitled to the house as the wife of the deceased. The man would have no rights till the mother leaves this earth.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2021
Legally the house belongs to the wife, in absence of a will by the deceased.

That first son gibberish is tradition and not according to laws of the federal republic of Nigeria.

But the question that keeps bugging me is this;

If his father was still alive, now that he has returned from South Africa to marry and settle down , would he have ejected his father from the house too? undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Top 10 Qualities A Good Wife Must Have / Cenderella Nana: Divorce Party Of Egyptian Woman Got People Talking / How Can I Stop My Husband's Phone Addiction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.