Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property (36383 Views)

How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / My Uncles Fixed My Late Father's Burial Without Informing Me, His First Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by KaptainAfrika: 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
Both.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:

Onye uzo ulo’m.
Sister mariah, I'm confused. Are you Yoruba or Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by GboyegaD(m): 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
mariahAngel:
Mumu wey suppose build house for him mama, dey follow him mama drag house! Ode!

Na wetin dem teach am for South Africa? Those ones no kuku send their parents!

Awon omokomo osi!

Not a fair statement to make.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by authority2006(m): 7:50pm On Aug 09, 2021
kalvoken:
Poverty is vanity

You mean he should sue the women that breast fed him for almost 2years after carrying him for 9months? Just because of a girl that came from no where.

You people are quick to forget that wives/husbands can become ex tomorrow but family will forever be family. Nothing like former family.

Why don't he rent a new flat for he and his new wife? Like he is not even supposed to be told, its a common sense.

You don't seem to understand sarcasm
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

A friend of mine needs urgent advice before taking a bold step.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

So last year, unfortunately his father died and has since been buried.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

He needs your sincere advise.

Thanks

Please help us help a brother

You need to tell us your tribe because traditions vary in Nigeria. In yoruba land it is the wife's property until she dies, a son cannot override his mother's right to the property until she dies. I am not even sure a 1st son in yoruba land has any right over his elder sister (assuming he isnt the 1st BORN) talk less his mother.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Cecero(m): 7:50pm On Aug 09, 2021
Your friend must be hard on some substance to even mute such strange ideas. How can she evict a woman from her husband's house ffs? And to imagine that she's even his own mom makes one think the guy is really mad.

Tell your friend to proof us wrong that he is not mad by completing the house for his mom and siblings to live comfortably. He ought to even have done that before the man's burial if he has the money. And then he should go and rent an apartment elsewhere. That house is their family house. Even if the poor woman is not the biological mother, he doesn't have any right to throw her out of the husband's home.
His right of inheritance can only be activated in the event of the mom's death and the sister's have all married.
Others they go SA go hustle, you go your own go dey smoke weed only to come back to harass a poor widow. Mgbọ pịapụkwa gị isi

3 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Coded78: 7:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
oluwaseyi0:
That son is a bastard

I'm sure he supported the dad in the calculation that the poor man will soon die

He want to send aways his mother from her matrimonial home then bring in another woman, he want to turn wife of landlord aka landlady to a tenant simply because she is a widow

If the woman in question is not his biological mother probably like his dad second wife he will have probably murder her as a way to snatch her husband house, may God not let us give birth to useless kid, kid worse than dog

Anything your friend do for his mum, he should know Kama is a bitch, it's while he's still alive that his own children will sell all his property and turn him to street begger while his children squandered his sweat on unknown ladies

While some kids are thinking of taking care of their mama some are thinking of sending their to the gutters,

Isn't the Bible straightforward when it's says the man shall leave his mother and father then cling to his wife

If any of my kids show any tendency of madness like OP friend, or it's probably the OP himself, I'll disown the child and ensure ordinary stone he doesn't inherit from from, someone who cannot love his mother

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by authority2006(m): 7:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
Harddiskng:
It seems he is concerned that his mom might sell it off and keep all the money for herself. It is a valid concern seem he footed the bill for the house.

He should discuss the ownership of the house with her and allow her to live in it. He should have clarified ownership ever seems he sent the first one naira to his father.

And where will the woman be living after selling the house she's living? On the streets I guess.

I also have a friend who is finishing up his father’s house, That’s was the first thing i asked him to discuss with his mum. The woman confirmed she is leaving the house to him, with peace of mind he is currently pumping in millions to renovate the whole house but he can’t sell it while his mother is alive, like some posters rightfully stated; its a family house as long as his mother is still alive.

Hehe! You meant to say that the same house where your friend is pumping millions to can't accommodate him and his mother?
Secondly, why renovating his dad's house just to send his own mother packing out? I meant, what's this world turning into? You and that your friend no get sense o

4 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by lugado: 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2021
There is no court in the world that will eject the mom from the house

He should put himself in the dad's shoes
What if he's no more (God forbid)
Would he be happy if his son ejects his wife from his house

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by BROWNEMMANUEL26: 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2021
Plomo:

What part of the country is he from, you say he’s a Nigerian.

Mtchewww.

Since he’s a “Nigerian” then let him take his mother to court and challenge her claim.
From West
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by ebenezer880(m): 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2021
He that will still be urs when ur mother dies.... Why is he in a hurry... Lolz or nah ur sisters wan get am, dem no go marry again

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by NaijaNile: 8:01pm On Aug 09, 2021
So.. This guy has such low confidence in himself that he thinks he can never build another house in his life time, and is dragging house with his mother... His own mother o!!!!!

My advice to him:
1. He should finish the house to taste, and hand it over completely to his mother. He will receive prayers and blessings that will pave way for big things in his life

2. He should go and rent a place, even if 1room for himself and his bride. If he truly loves the girl he wants to marry he will avoid trouble by not bringing her into the house he's fighting his mother over. If the girl is stupid enough to follow him to live in the house then it means he married an unwise woman and the marriage will most likely hit the rocks.

3. Once he does 1 and 2, he now needs to continue to support his mother. He owes his siblings little or no obligations but can help if he has the means... But he has a new bride now so he has more responsibilities.

4. Continue to trust God and leave the rest to him. But in my own experience he will still build a bigger and better house if he does not disrespect his mum over one house.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by BROWNEMMANUEL26: 8:01pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
oh! My bad. I didnt seem to read it well. He's a Yoruba boy. Ibadan
Even before u said ibadan, I have already know that he must be from the west. I know that Eastern man can drag with his mum but West, their women can drag anything their men
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 8:01pm On Aug 09, 2021
perambulator:

You need to tell us your tribe because traditions vary in Nigeria. In yoruba land it is the wife's property until she dies, a son cannot override his mother's right to the property until she dies. I am not even sure a 1st son in yoruba land has any right over an elder sister talk less his mother.

You are mistaken about the mother

There is no such tradition in Yoruba land

Yes you are right female children have equal inheritance as their brothers but wives have zero , repeat zero inheritance rights in Yoruba traditional law and this has been tested and established in court

e.g
Suberu v Sunmonu,

"Wives are chattels than can be inherited"

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by MufasaLion: 8:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
nunnu post=104611263 :
His mother is the next of kin.
And till she dies can the property get to him especially if that is the only house his father had. Stupid son.

You may be wrong.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by techWriter1: 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
What element of the region is he from?
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Skullano(m): 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
Let him renovate the house up to the standard that he wants then let his mother stay there as while he rents an apartment for himself.

House and compound nah still him own as first son, so no need for too much noise or fight...
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by kennyfem(m): 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
This is my first time I will comment on someone issue here, is he sure the woman gave birth to him, secondly let him find a place to rent for himself, if he wants to live long, try nd always make your mother happy.
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

Thanks

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Octobertwentysix(f): 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
inforesource:
He is a stupid son. If the father was fighting with his own mum on his father's house, will the son have any claim to it? If he want to get married and thinks he is man enough to do so, he should go and rent a house and stay and leave his mother alone.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Newboss(m): 8:04pm On Aug 09, 2021
Shebi una dey learn. Do not be a simp. If it's not your own, it's definitely not your own. Don't invest in another man's property

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by msakhere(f): 8:05pm On Aug 09, 2021
Osanobua, What manner of child is he? Kai, pikin wey supposed take care of him mama dey drag house with d mama. Because of another woman him wan bring in.

It is better to have only daughters than to have this type of efulefu son.

No respect for the mum at all, only to drag land and house.

Let him rent an apartment for himself and the future wife, and let mama and his siblings live in the family house in peace.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by NoToPile: 8:05pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
oh! My bad. I didnt seem to read it well. He's a Yoruba boy. Ibadan

He is what some people will call Omo ale Yoruba

Rubbish AMD nonsense
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by BRATISLAVA: 8:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

Your friend sounds more stupid than reasonable. Drastic steps? On his own mother? Sounds like a drug dealer from South Africa talking. Or he swallowed some other pills.

Forget all the traditional people and their "where does he come from" talks. This is a legal matter, not a village matter where any drunk will talk rubbish in his favor after eating some kola nuts and drinking a gift of Jack Daniels from him.

Let him go to a federal court and settle it where the law — not sentiment— holds.

If he was helping his father build, what was his point if it would've been to throw him out once it was time for him to get married?

Some people are so dysfunctional.

Your friend has mummy issues.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by gbami(m): 8:08pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

Tell that idiot to go and look for his own house.
Wtf is really happening with people of nowadays. Shameless idiot.
Go and build your own house.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Malawian(m): 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

Oga, everybody for the house dey entitled o. We die there.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Funkybabee(f): 8:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
Orisirisi omo

He can't sacrifice for his own mother

He supposed to be aware that, this thing ours is different from this thing is mine
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Elsueno: 8:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq :
ARE u SURE HE IS HER BIOLOGICAL SON!

To me its impossible to dat to ur own mum & siblings
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by okwadatigbogal: 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Charlie2020:
. Fear women o. She fit fall in love with a fellow oldie who might eventually take possession of the house. It does happen especially where the children are still very young

Shut the Bleep up! You're brainless. I wonder the kind of women that raised people like. Always trash talking women

3 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by snarkynehne(f): 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Newboss:
Shebi una dey learn. Do not be a simp. If it's not your own, it's definitely not your own. Don't invest in another man's property
Attention sha... Sweetheart you are not supposed to be here, it's for matured people only

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Lamasta(m): 8:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
Some first son's don't deserve to be first son seriously, imagine this one that supposed to finish the family house so that her mother and family will have a better roof on their head wants to send his mum packing so that he can inherit his father's property I shake my head in shame...

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by mannasseh(m): 8:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
make sure you give us an update on how the matter was settled

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Bluffly: 8:17pm On Aug 09, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

Thanks

Tell him to go and rent a house. His contribution was a natural God gesture from son to father and not an exclusive right to inheritance. Why on earth will him go and rent a house for his mother. The father and mother are the major stakes of hat house until both are no more.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

10 Lessons I Learnt In My 10 Years Of Marriage / Obituary Of A Couple In Enugu And Their 5 Children (Photo) / 10 Signs That Your Child Is Spoiled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 324
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.