Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property (36373 Views)

How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / My Uncles Fixed My Late Father's Burial Without Informing Me, His First Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Charly68: 3:32am On Aug 10, 2021
Did he help his father to take over his property after death.. what does he think of his mother in the first instance? That the woman should pack out for him or what to a rented apartment ? He must be joking to have taken such a wrong step.. a child that can't honour his parents dead or alive will end up in the pit of life. He must go and build his own house instead of disturbing the peace of a widow . Our father's house is different from my own house .
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Parisian: 3:44am On Aug 10, 2021
Pls speak for yourself. I am Urhobo and in my culture the wife owns everything in the case of the husband's demise. Wether you're first son or first spirit, that one concern you. The property belongs to the wife and when the man dies it will be shared among all the children both males and females alike.

In my culture there's nothing like discrimination in allocating property to females. My grandfather died last year and before his death he shared property to his children and even gave some females without giving to a particular uncle of mine.

Wether you're a male or female whenever you're ready you can inform your "aged" father to give you a share of his property and he will. That's how it's done.
bishopjoe02:

South east and south south the first son own everything in the absence of a will or the father sharing the property orally when he is alive, south west, the house is shared equally among the children both male and female.

But as far as the mum is alive, she have a right to live in her husband house till infinity

2 Likes

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Parisian: 3:45am On Aug 10, 2021
Mother....and that's not even up for debate.
imoowo:
We seem to forget the question who is supposed to inherite the property mother or first son?

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Parisian: 3:46am On Aug 10, 2021
That's what happened when you raise your son to have a god complex. It backfires later on.
MummyD2020:

100%. To think he wants to rent a house for his mum shows hes not even concerned for his mum and sisters. The first son is shacking him like alcohol. Thats her husband's house na. He should get out and go rent house and live with his bride joor.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Parisian: 4:01am On Aug 10, 2021
Are you mad ? You swine. Is it the woman that's dragging property of the useless wasted sperm of a son.

Not surprised tho, Nairaland guys don't have sense.
Skillsnigeria:
It will not be easy to evict his mother from the house, he should wait till his mother kpeme (died) before he can claim and renovate the house. Nigeria woman always carry house matter for head like say owning a house will solve all their problems in this life
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by fkj950ax(m): 4:20am On Aug 10, 2021
Slimslimqq:
lol, he's a nigerian

This response shows you are probably the ill mannered boy.

My response on what he should do is included in my 1st sentence
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by thunderbabs: 4:27am On Aug 10, 2021
Is there no wicked uncle in his family like the ibos normally have that will teach him some sense? cheesy

Abeg, no do am strong thing oo but be like say the boy dey smoke colo.... He's not thinking straight.

Ordinarily, you are supposed to MOVE OUT of your father's house not the other way round regardless of who financed the building. It's his father's house he called it na, abi i no read am well ni
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Gval123: 5:23am On Aug 10, 2021
E need advice abi? Tell am say na death day hungry am. So na watin him go learn for SA be that? Toto don sweet am reach mount, to the extent him wan push e mama comoth for house to marry wife. Tell am say toto way slack today first be tear rubber before oh, na over use cause the slack. E time don day near.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Naijaolosho2: 6:03am On Aug 10, 2021
Essence of will guys. It's not a bad wish or death wish but to avoid unnecessary quarrel after your demise which can be any freaking time.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 6:21am On Aug 10, 2021
baby124:

Which Yorubaland are you talking about? Property is shared based on the wives or offsprings. Mostly wives in polygamous settings. The wives stay in their husbands house till they leave this earth. Like you cannot even remove them, or debate it. Their husbands house remains firmly in their possession as long as they are alive. Except they willingly give it up. Property Sharing self mostly do not include the family house. Which is the husband and Wife’s home. That becomes joint property after the wife dies
Did you read and comprehend what you are commenting of ? How does that match what you have typed? The Yorubaland I am talking about is the one that the SUpreme Cour passed a judgment on in 1957 in

sunmonu vs suberu . Go and read the judgment

Read and comprehend properly before boiling over like a kettle

I said in Yorubaland a woman does not inherit her husbands property under Customary Law. Is that n dispute? So what is all this Irohin that you are saying? You just want to show yourself
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2021
kalvoken:
Poverty is vanity

You mean he should sue the women that breast fed him for almost 2years after carrying him for 9months? Just because of a girl that came from no where.

You people are quick to forget that wives/husbands can become ex tomorrow but family will forever be family. Nothing like former family.

Why don't he rent a new flat for he and his new wife? Like he is not even supposed to be told, its a common sense.

Why all this emotional nonsense? If not for you telling us I used to believe women carried babies for 2 months. My bad !! so it is 9 months
People have been suing there mothers before you were born and will do so long after you have gone if necessary
It has no bearing to this issue

Why the difficulty in finding a coherent and rational argument devoid of this emotional claptrap?
Surely there is a better argument
Women breastfeed children of other people it has no meaning
90 days in the womb and 900 days breast feeding is not something anyone has any memory of. It is irrelevant
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by baby124: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2021
aribisala0:
Did you read and comprehend what you are commenting of ? How does that match what you have typed? The Yorubaland I am talking about is the one that the SUpreme Cour passed a judgment on in 1957 in

I said in Yorubaland a woman does not inherit her husbands property under Customary Law. Is that n dispute? So what is all this Irohin that you are saying? You just want to show yourself
What is Sumonu vs Suberu? Which judgment in this world will support your so called statement? She does not inherit, so she’s a tenant or what. So, like you said, women are chattels abi what nonsense did you come up with to justify and conclude the judgment.

I should go and read the judgment. Made in court about a culture I know? You copy and paste the judgment you are quoting here and let us dissect. The fact that a woman at her death can will intestate property does not mean she cannot inherit. After the mans death she inherits and at her death she wills her property. The home her and her husband built is a family house sef. No one can lay exclusive claim to it. Not even the husband.

So the man dies without a will, the widow is left penniless or what? For your information she gets about 50% plus the house she and the husband lived in at least. The rest is split evenly among the kids. Some, nothing can be split sef till mama dies and wills it.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by jidxin(m): 7:06am On Aug 10, 2021
Pavore9:
For him to be the first son means he has siblings, those siblings have a right to live in their father's house till they get settled enough to live independently....it is their family's house irrespective of how the first son supported their late father in the building.
is that the question the OP asked?
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:07am On Aug 10, 2021
baby124:

What is Sumonu vs Suberu? Which judgment in this world will support your so called statement? She does not inherit, so she’s a tenant or what. So, like you said, women are chattels abi what nonsense did you come up with to justify and conclude the judgment.

I should go and read the judgment. Made in court about a culture I know? You copy and paste the judgment you are quoting here and let us dissect. The fact that a woman at her death can will intestate property does not mean she cannot inherit. After the mans death she inherits and at her death she wills her property. The home her and her husband built is a family house sef. No one can lay exclusive claim to it. Not even the husband.

So the man dies without a will, the widow is left penniless or what? For your information she gets about 50% plus the house she and the husband lived in at least. The rest is split evenly among the kids. Some, nothing can be split sef till mama dies and wills it.
It is a Supreme court judgment go and read it. I did not say they are chattels
The Supreme court said so
All this emotional nonsense is irrelevant
Go and educate yourself and learn how to debate like someone that went through some kind of educational process

Instead of you to calm down and distil issues you are boiling like an Ibo made kettle
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by jidxin(m): 7:09am On Aug 10, 2021
Pavore9:

He can't evict his mother and his sisters from the house, the house belonged to her late husband and his sisters have a right to live in their father's house till they get married.
no sir, under Nigerian law and customs the hous3 devolve to the mother and only after the demise of the mother that the house can be owned by the children save and except the woman did not remarry
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by baby124: 7:16am On Aug 10, 2021
aribisala0:

It is a Supreme court judgment go and read it. I did not say they are chattels
The Supreme court said so
All this emotional nonsense is irrelevant
Go and educate yourself and learn how to debate like someone that went through some kind of educational process

Instead of you to calm down and distil issues you are boiling like an Ibo made kettle
Post your so called judgment here. You are hilarious. You think you can just lie on this platform about the contents of a judgment and insult women. Then we believe you because you think everyone is too lazy to research.

Look after the mans death, if the mother who has the documents does not file a letter of administration to document and share the assets, nothing for you. If you like kill yourself there. Try to go to Nigerian courts and tell the judge the constitution says women are chattels and cannot inherit their husbands property. Try it, if you are not laughed out of the court. Rubbish.

Know this now, the widow has first priority and then the kids. Something I have personally witnessed. In fact it’s worse when the man dies without a will. Shi shi, you no go see. Go court up and down, you go tire. Na you sabi. You help your father build a house on his land, it’s his house, not yours.

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by jidxin(m): 7:16am On Aug 10, 2021
baby124:

orí ojori and ìdí igi came tó be But the properties were even shared amongst the wife not the children. Then sumonu vs suberu has been upturned in the recent case of Ukeje v Ukeje (2014) 11NWLR (Pt 1341) 185SC The Supreme Court ruling voided the centuries-old Igbo tradition that barred females from becoming beneficiaries of family estates, especially in their towns and villages.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by jidxin(m): 7:19am On Aug 10, 2021
aribisala0:

its been upturned and overruled o, orí ojori and ìdí igi came tó be But the properties were even shared amongst the wife not the children. Then sumonu vs suberu has been upturned in the recent case of Ukeje v Ukeje (2014) 11NWLR (Pt 1341) 185SC The Supreme Court ruling voided the centuries-old Igbo tradition that barred females from becoming beneficiaries of family estates, especially in their towns and villages and some other recent cases on Yoruba customary practices
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 7:19am On Aug 10, 2021
baby124:

Post your so called judgment here. You are hilarious. You think you can just lie on this platform about the contents of a judgment and insult women. Then we believe you because you think everyone is too lazy to research.

Look after the mans death, if the mother who has the documents does not file a letter of administration to document and share the assets, nothing for you. If you like kill yourself there. Try to go to Nigerian courts and tell the judge the constitution says women are chattels and cannot inherit their husbands property. Try it, if you are not laughed out of the court. Rubbish.

Know this now, the widow has first priority and then the kids. Something I have personally witnessed. In fact it’s worse when the man dies without a will. Shi shi, you no go see. Go court up and down, you go tire. Na you sabi. You help your father build a house on his land, it’s his house, not yours.
You talk like an illiterate
The judgment is on the internet go and read and stop hyperventilating
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by baby124: 7:24am On Aug 10, 2021
jidxin:
its been upturned and overruled o, orí ojori and ìdí igi came tó be But the properties were even shared amongst the wife not the children. Then sumonu vs suberu has been upturned in the recent case of Ukeje v Ukeje (2014) 11NWLR (Pt 1341) 185SC The Supreme Court ruling voided the centuries-old Igbo tradition that barred females from becoming beneficiaries of family estates, especially in their towns and villages and some other recent cases on Yoruba customary practices
Don’t mind him. He thinks he can write something and everyone will believe. Even before the Ukeje judgment. Yoruba make provisions for the widow. She’s not a chattel o, it’s even based on the mama they are first considered. Especially the WIDOW. Different if we are talking baby mama here. I think he’s confusing what the widow inherits vs what is left for the children.

The kids only have access to their father’s house. The mother fully occupies and owns it till her death. She cannot sell it because it is there to provide shelter when the kids need it. After her death, it’s usually not even willed to anyone but owned as a joint property among the kids. That guy is high on something.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by baby124: 7:28am On Aug 10, 2021
aribisala0:

You talk like an illiterate
The judgment is on the internet go and read and stop hyperventilating
Hyperventilating on a real life experience? You talk like someone that lacks brains. You quote a judgement, post it here per the constitution. Someone already stated something contrary to your so called bull shit and posted the link for proof. You are judging based on your mother who was not married to your father or what? grin
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by emindu: 7:33am On Aug 10, 2021
The guy has a right to share in the late father's property but not to claim it all for himself. Since he has other siblings and the mother is still alive, I would advise him to forget dragging the house with the mother, because the other siblings who are also females have the right also to drag the house. Going to court is him wasting money because the mother and the siblings would win him
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Blackdisciple(m): 7:35am On Aug 10, 2021
The last child.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by IAMPEDRO: 7:40am On Aug 10, 2021
Slimslimqq:
Good evening elders.

A friend of mine needs urgent advice before taking a bold step.

He relocated to south Africa 6 years ago, and since he traveled he has been sending home some amount of money to help his father complete his house.

So last year, unfortunately his father died and has since been buried.

He just arrived from south Africa since then. Now he wants to renovate his fathers house to 3 bedroom flat because he's planning to marry next year, He's not returning to south Africa.

But, his mom declined and said she won't allow him take over the house from her, though he promised to rent an apartment for her but declined.

Now this has caused a lot of problem between the mother and son, because the son claims he built d house to that stage but the mother is claiming she is his mother and the wife to the late owner(father).

He's planning on taking drastic steps which I have advised him against, but he seems not to understand everything I'm saying.

I told him about nairaland, that there are experienced people who will give him d best advise and he's given me a go ahead.

I will be sending these page link to him, so he can hear from d public and then know what to decide.

He needs your sincere advise.

Thanks

Please help us help a brother
Sometimes I begin to wonder why some people behave as if they don't have a sense of reasoning, this is the person who birth you and now you've grown to the extent of challenging her. Or is there anything about the house you're not letting us know.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by aribisala0(m): 8:00am On Aug 10, 2021
jidxin:

I am not sure what you mean by that word "upturned"
Ori ojori and Idi igi is a totally unrelated issue to whether a wife can inherit her husbands property so you are mixing things up
Those issues are tangential and related to POLYGAMY and how property are shared among the children of a POLYGAMOUS marriage. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with a wife's right to inherit Rather it is about CHILDREN not WIVES

With regard to being overturned .
The judgment in Sunmonu v Suberu was given at the Supreme Court with respect to Yoruba tradition/Custom and you are citing a judgment with respect to Ibo law and Custom. They are totally different systems
This is just like saying The judgment on Ibo traditional law has overturned Sharia law that is illogical
There are fundamental reasons why Ukeje does not apply in Yoruba law. Anyone who is grounded in Yoruba tradition knows this
Spouses do not inherit each other's property It operates BOTH WAYS. Women do not inherit from their husbands and vice versa. Ukeje is about the right of a female child NOT wife. The Yoruba tradition is that inheritance is BY BLOOD. The wife is not a relative by blood
So the Ukeje case which is based on a "discrimination" against women(children of deceased) is inapplicable

A supreme court judgment can only be AUTOMATICALLY interpreted to overturn a judgment of a LOWER court .
To say it overturned Sunmonu v Suberu is wrong unless that was explicitly stated. That Ukeje judgment does not cover all Native and Customary law in Nigeria or Sharia law just Ibo law.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by MummyD2020(f): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2021
Parisian:
That's what happened when you raise your son to have a god complex. It backfires later on.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by MummyD2020(f): 8:17am On Aug 10, 2021
Icumsa45:
A friend of mine is in the exact same situation and the mom wants him dead. True story o!

The woman cant take the betrayal and so she feels its better of that he is dead to her. How can u evict ur mum? That ur friend needs mental check.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Stallione(m): 8:25am On Aug 10, 2021
That guy is playing a stupid play. Why would u drag a house were she has lived with her husband simply because u contributed in building it. So because u want to marry and ur siblings are all ladies they shld go to hell right. My fellow man think with ur head and not from the anus.
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Glamouzpeter(f): 8:29am On Aug 10, 2021
He should buy a land and build his won house
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by harmony75: 8:32am On Aug 10, 2021
mariahAngel:
Mumu wey suppose build house for him mama, dey follow him mama drag house! Ode!

Na wetin dem teach am for South Africa? Those ones no kuku send their parents!

Awon omokomo osi!
this is a stupid son GOD will not let us have a fool as a child! This woman is his own mum not step mother he should allow his mother enjoy what their father worked for Naw?! What?! It's what that woman want or say her son should follow!
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by Tzar(m): 8:33am On Aug 10, 2021
You don’t need an answer with a daft response like this.
The poster asked because the part of Nigeria he comes from will determine who automatically inherits the property IF the title owner didn’t leave a will.
Slimslimqq:
lol, he's a nigerian
Re: Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property by ford101: 8:42am On Aug 10, 2021
tempex88:
How else do you define useless? You wey hussle build house for your papa no fit leave the house for your mama...I want to believe the woman is step mother
the land isnt the foolish boys land.its his father's land.my own brother did same.mind you my mother was the one who helped to build the house.the house was built wen he was 3yrs old.now he wants to sale it and do as he wants.wen my mother cried for the documents to be given back to her.he told us that my mother was an evil woman who is been hunt by her evil past.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

When Your Presence Is Ruining The Show / "My Father Is Dead" - Darren Idongesit Rejoices Over 'Wonderful' News / A Heartless Woman Dumped This Baby Latelast Night (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.