Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

"We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? (19367 Views)

Buhari Should Pay Nigerian Airforce Unestablished Salary / VIDEO: Jumbo Pay-nigerian Youth Activists Take On Gluttonous Senators / VIDEO: Jumbo Pay-nigerian Youth Activists Take On Gluttonous Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by buzugee(m): 6:31pm On May 18, 2011
a lot of you people seem to feel that we are ultimately bound and constrained by mans laws, and so long as a man does not break any laws, then he is ok. so long as coca cola is not breaking any laws, they are within their rights to do as they please. well let me tell you about mans laws. ECCLESIATES 7 VS 29, i have found that God made people decent but they have looked for many ways to avoid being decent.
listen folks, man will never do right by you. man is inherently evil. a higher law of morality dictates that coca coca is an evil and greedy company and while they are not breaking any laws made by man, they are breaking many laws made by the creator of man. so if yall want to be bound by mans laws as i see yall echoing and chiming the sentiment 'well coca cola is cool cuz they are not breaking any laws. its the govts fault' well then so be it. dont be surprised though when 'the man' uses you up and spits you out while he indulges his greed at the expense of your soul, blood, sweat and tears. shalom
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Fhemmmy: 6:53pm On May 18, 2011
samm:

Kobo's view point: Government should regulate. In the absense of regulation, companies are free to do as they please.
ekt bear's view point:  No government regulation.  Companies are there to make money. The workers are not being forced to work. They can quit if they do not like the wages or organize and demand for better wages.
Fhemmmy's view point: Companies are obligated to provide a company defined "decent working condition" since government might not be quite effective in regulation companies.

All three viewpoints combined forms a responsible solution.
There should always be balanced government regulation and enforcement e.g. setting minimum wage, good working conditions etc.  A company is out to make money and is mostly obligated to it's shareholders.
In most cases, they have the upper hand when dealing with their workers and not every group can fight for themselves.  In the absence of government regulation, the workers should organize and demand better wages and working conditions.  
Other related parties: The society at large. Lawyers, human right groups, labour groups, individual citizens. We should not always be spectators when we hear about things like this.  Every member of society has a duty to push for what is right.  That is how we become better.  It might be "them" today and you or yours tomorrow. With a vigilant society, companies are forced to adopt Fhemmy's viewpoint.  We have to set standards as to what we can tolerate collectively.

I do agree with you that we have to set standard, at least Shell and the rest and paying the employees really well, but again at the detriment of the resources of the land . . . . Seems like we cant win till the govt get their act together and do something
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kilode1: 7:47pm On May 18, 2011
Ismile:

One thing those guys working there did not tell you is that they are entitle to a daily meal which is even more than the pay of $2.6 they are collecting.

They are also provided with detergent for washing their uniform.

They are provided with Bus to convey them from home to work and back to their various locations

They are entitle to be treated in the clinic for minor ailment, sickness, immunization, vaccination, free medical advisories, blood pressure, sugar level etc.

And some other benefits not mentioned here.

If you add up all these benefits or using Nigeria language of monitization, you will see that it will be more than what some permanent staff are collecting in other companies with same job.

I agree that the amount looks small and needed review but, note that:

They are hired by a Labour contractor who supplied them to Coca Cola. Thus, they do not have any obligation with Cocacola but with their employer.

If they think the amount is too small, they can form a union and demand for better pay from their employer (which is the third party labour contractor). The Labour contractor will in turn discuss it over with Coca Cola and the issue will be resolved.

If they are not satisfied with the resolution, they can simply quit.

Just the little I know on this issue.

Are you sure about what you posted? it's either you have the wrong information, someone lied to you or the protesters and reporters are lying.

See their argument below:
Work at your own risk
As casual staff, they are not provided with the required safety gear, thus remaining exposed to work-related dangers, and are also paid lesser than their colleagues with permanent appointments.

Showing a deep scar which he claimed to have sustained at work, Mr Emoga said the company had refused to take any responsibility for it."The company said it was not their business since casual workers are not entitled to any health policy, so at the end of the day, I treated it myself, and yet, they refuse to provide us with safety gears," he said.

However, employee who wanted anonymity said engaging the casual workers through a third party removed some of the responsibilities, including the provision of safety gear, from his employer

The official said, "The third party has stated on their (workers') contract to come with covered shoes because we realized that when we used to engage them directly, some would take some of these things and refuse to show up for work again.

At the end of the day, businesses have a right to maximise their profits and workers have the right to demand and agitate for better renumeration.

All parties will have to weigh their options, bargain and decide based on whatever benefits them.

Workers risk losing their jobs and Coca-Cola risk efficiency, productivity(on the near term) and a good public image.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Ismile(m): 8:11pm On May 18, 2011
Kilode,

I can authoritatively tell you that everything I listed in my earlier post is the fact.

Can you just ask yourself how bad can Lagos be for someone to claim that he has been casual worker for the past 9 years? Even if he is selling recharge card, he will make more than 400 Naira in a day.

I passed through the same process and I can tell you that if you a prudent enough, you will still have a saves from there.

Also, you stand a chance of been employeed as a permanent staff if you have the right qualification and attitude with hard work whenever there is opportunity.

I can also authoritatively confirm to you that I knew of a Director that came into the company as casual and as at now he is a director.

Taking, Coca Cola has to do something about the take home of their contract staff, but demonizing the company will not be absolutely right.

Again, my little take on this subject.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kilode1: 8:41pm On May 18, 2011
Ismile:

Kilode,

I can authoritatively tell you that everything I listed in my earlier post is the fact.

Can you just ask yourself how bad can Lagos be for someone to claim that he has been casual worker for the past 9 years? Even if he is selling recharge card, he will make more than 400 Naira in a day.

I passed through the same process and I can tell you that if you a prudent enough, you will still have a saves from there.

Also, you stand a chance of been employeed as a permanent staff if you have the right qualification and attitude with hard work whenever there is opportunity.

I can also authoritatively confirm to you that I knew of a Director that came into the company as casual and as at now he is a director.

I'm not saying you are lying, but your information contradicts some of theirs. Do you work with Coca-Cola or are you a public representative for them? since you are "authoritatively" speaking.

Anyway, I get your inspirational story about hard work and pulling yourself up by the bootstrap and all that good stuff, but that is not the point here really.

Not every casual worker will become a Director, we simply don't have that kind of space at the top and maybe they want to be casual worker all their lives, it's their choice, it does not matter really. Even the N200 per day street-sweeper adds value.

Point is, they still have the right to ask and fight for better pay, and if they succeed, good for them! afterall ,we are a capitalist society and their labor is a factor of production, Coca-Cola will have to review what they are worth and the workers too will need to do that also.

Businesses will always need both skilled and unskilled workers and no matter how developed, driven and educated we want them to be, Truth is we will always have poor people, we will always need people to do these back breaking menial jobs. How we treat them is a reflection of our values as a society and the values of the companies they work for, especially when you are making good profits like Coca-Cola.

That's my $0.02 on the subject.

Taking, Coca Cola has to do something about the take home of their contract staff, but demonizing the company will not be absolutely right.

Again, my little take on this subject.

I don't think anyone is "demonizing" Coca-Cola because their casual workers are asking for better pay, I know I'm not.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by calvinwhcs: 9:05pm On May 18, 2011
Wages for unskilled labor are a product of supply and demand. A worker will find it hard demanding a higher wage that they deem as fair if 1000 other people will do the same job for half the price,

Overpopulation in any country is a terrible thing - not only are jobs scarce and unemployment high, but the available jobs don't pay as well as the would if if the work force was scarce,

To solve this problem - stop having so many children,
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by GODSON2009(m): 9:21pm On May 18, 2011
the issue of coca cola and other companies who use unskilled staffs did not start fromthe company,it started when their labour leaders startetd getting compromised financially.
where were the likes of oshiomole when he was leading the labour union to fight for these people's interests?
and subsequent nlc leaders as well, using the united kingdom as a case in point the labour leaders/union fought british airways to a standstill over staff welfare which went on for a long time.
the union, this time coal miners fought the supposed iron lady margaret thatcher to a stand still and up till the present time the union in the uk are still a powerful pressure group.
rather than making noises that will not get anywhere,they should vote credible leaders into their union leadership who cant and wont be compromised and they should be united and collectively fight any company who isnt on point concerning staff welfare
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by dustydee: 9:41pm On May 18, 2011
if you pay peanuts, only monkeys will work for you.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Phony200(m): 10:55pm On May 18, 2011
Ismile:

One thing those guys working there did not tell you is that they are entitle to a daily meal which is even more than the pay of $2.6 they are collecting.
No sir. A plate of rice with one meat is not worth 400 naira and not all casuals end up eating.

They are also provided with detergent for washing their uniform.
No Sir. That doesn't happen on all the lines. definitely not in Plant B. They can wash yes, but they source for detergent themselves to wash their work clothes, less than half have the check uniform for casuals.

They are provided with Bus to convey them from home to work and back to their various locations

They are entitle to be treated in the clinic for minor ailment, sickness, immunization, vaccination, free medical advisories, blood pressure, sugar level etc But not bottle cuts and other more serious injuries without a note from the safety office which most of them avoid due to issues later on/

And some other benefits not mentioned here. Nothing comes to mind except free drinks sometimes at the drinking spot and on the lines. That's not exactly a benefit

If you add up all these benefits or using Nigeria language of monitization, you will see that it will be more than what some permanent staff are collecting in other companies with same job.

I agree that the amount looks small and needed review but, note that:

They are hired by a Labour contractor who supplied them to Coca Cola. Thus, they do not have any obligation with Cocacola but with their employer.

If they think the amount is too small, they can form a union and demand for better pay from their employer (which is the third party labour contractor). The Labour contractor will in turn discuss it over with Coca Cola and the issue will be resolved.

If they are not satisfied with the resolution, they can simply quit.

Just the little I know on this issue.

The whole casual staffing was outsourced simply to take away the responsibility from them and blame it on the supplier who i won't name. That;s the excuse. Same with the forklift operators which is the reason why they are aso incorrigible too. I'm not saying they are bad people but a company that needs to send all casuals home when they have foreign visitors from CCHBC definitely has something to have. I've seen people collapse, not once, not twice from the stress of debulking or sorting. Something has to be done. I agree with you that casuals have a chance at further employment that it's into contract staff roles which are nearly as bad too.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Kilode1: 11:52pm On May 18, 2011
Phony200:

The whole casual staffing was outsourced simply to take away the responsibility from them and blame it on the supplier who i won't name. That;s the excuse.

Hmm

Same with the forklift operators which is the reason why they are aso incorrigible too. I'm not saying they are bad people but a company that needs to send all casuals home when they have foreign visitors from CCHBC definitely has something to have.

You mean they don't want their foreign partner/investors to see how they treat Nigerian casual workers?

I bet those people are aware of how they treat them. They probably don't want to see no evil undecided

I've seen people collapse, not once, not twice from the stress of debulking or sorting. Something has to be done. I agree with you that casuals have a chance at further employment that it's into contract staff roles which are nearly as bad too.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by manny4life(m): 7:11pm On May 22, 2011
Casual Staff (aka contract workers) working under no safety conditions? That's bad, at times I wonder if Nigeria has Occupation and Safety laws. As for the pay, they are private organizations, govt cannot dictate the amount of wage to be paid to someone in a private sector but they can  increase the minimum wage.
Re: "We Are Not Slaves" -Coca-Cola Pay Nigerian Day-Workers $2.60 Per Day? by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 22, 2011
manny4life:

Casual Staff (aka contract workers) working under no safety conditions? That's bad, at times I wonder if Nigeria has Occupation and Safety laws. As for the pay, they are private organizations, govt cannot dictate the amount of wage to be paid to someone in a private sector but they can  increase the minimum wage.
Thats why labor unions exist. the workers should forward their agitations and complaints to the NLC, it the NLC that would bargain collectively with the company to solve the issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From The Federal Executive Council Meeting / Geoffrey Onyeama Test Positive To COVID-19 / Suspected Ambazonia Fighters Sack Manga Taraba, 5 Killed, Many Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.